• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UOCartographer beta (new UOAM) [0.9.8.0 Dec 17, re-read OP first]

K

Kiwillian

Re: UOCartographer beta, now available! (new UOAM)

Sorry, I just heard a rumor that this is possibly UOAM server compatible?
i.e. We can use the same server we are using currently for UOAM for uoc??
sounds way too good to be true to me.. shut me down please?
No, it's not compatible I'm afraid.

K

Kiwillian

I'll try and answer some of the other questions later, I have to shoot off to work now.

A

altarego

1. to the person complaining about 'fuzziness' when using tilt function on the EC client. Delete EC client, install 2d, and try again ;)
That's like telling someone who finds an icon they don't like the look of in Windows 7 to uninstall their OS and reinstall Windows Millennium Ed.

*shudder*

S

Shalimar/Cleo

With the 2D client, yes.
:(

Count's me out then. :(

Kudos, though, for putting this out for people!

-P.E.
It doesn't necessarily count anyone out. All you need to do is go to www.tugsoft.com and get the free trial. When the trial expires you don't need to buy assist to get the map to work. All you need to continue to do is login to the game with the assist icon, the map will still work for you.

Sara1

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I have Win XP. I have the .Net , too. When I try to open the program this is the message it gives: " Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media. Contact the Installers author to obtain a new copy." What do I do? I'm totally computer illiterate (and can't spell, either lol).

Sean

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yeah, while I'm not a network expert I do have a fairly decent knowledge about what to do. One question I have is when I do start up the network option, it seems to stay stuck on "Server starting", but goes no further, although it doesn't lock up in any fashion, I can get into options etc.

I'll wait patiently, this is just a tremendous effort by Kiwillian. It really is appreciated!

I have with zero results. I`m assuming its because of my router but I`m clueless when it comes to opening ports. I tried connecting to myself thru another PC in the house with no luck. Also had a couple RL friends try to get it working while we were on vent to no avail. I`m just waiting for the masses to figure it out and pass along pertinent info about it.

I followed instructions on the first page to a T, so IMO I hafta guess it`s because I`m on a network and I`m not proficient in anything network related. Aside from sliding in a CD and hitting Next thru setup.:D

R

rob230sl

Thanks so much...

Would love to have UOC track me. Whenever I click the center on player option, UOC indicates that I'm in Lord British castle in Trammel when I'm realy in Luna.

When I walk around the program does not track me nor does my position in UOC change at all. All the maps look great but just can't get the player tracking to work..

Any help would be appreciated.

Again, thx for a great pgm.

Rob

Forgot to mention that I'm running as Admin under Vista and using the Enhanced Client as I dont have UOassist. I've also copied the MapWindow.lua file as instructed in the readme file.

In Flames

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Did you try the updated version? It will tell you what it can't find (hopefully) which may help track it down.
Installed again, ran both as admin and without.
both times it said

Can't find...
map0.mul
map1.mul
map2.mul
map3.mul
map4.mul
map5.mul

I went into the directory specified in my options and confirmed that they are indeed there (not that they wouldn't be, my UO client.exe works =P).

Not sure why it's not seeing them.

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Kiwi, I have heard rave reviews about this and I wish I could use it on my Mac! It has been SO long since I used Auto Map and I was so hopefully of these maybe running on my simulator, but it failed. Mac version please? =] Hehehehe
Hey, it was worth a shot!!

angelus aconitum

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I had a problem with the latest version.
I already had version 0.9.6.1 installed, uninstalled it and installed version 0.9.6.2
Then I tried to start the program, but I couldn't see the program window. I installed it again and still I could not see it.
Then I looked into the option file and noticed that the axis x and y were set to -32000, so the program window was totally off the screen.
I maximize the window, resized it a bit and then it stayed in the right place..

S

Sevin0oo0

>Its funny... google for "ultima online idoc uoc"

Evil scripters gone Legit?
Just like the 8x8 macro program.
Request Data (WM_USER+200) This is used to register your application with UOAssist.
Once your application is registered UOAssist will begin sending your application messages.
Such as Shard, Character, Stats, etc.... and my favorite, Play macro (WM_USER+206).
I wish it all the best, personally.

M

mugmug

My map will not show the land. It is totally black could someone make a file of the maps to download to the folder and email me a copy? Or make them available in post link, Thanks [email protected]

R

RichDC

Having a few issues with starting a new server...cannot get people to connect,no errors are recieved just cannot connect.

Oh and THANKS!!!

UOAM RIP 22/11/2009...it has been a good run!

S

SUPRsalad

That's like telling someone who finds an icon they don't like the look of in Windows 7 to uninstall their OS and reinstall Windows Millennium Ed.

*shudder*
No, its more like telling them to uninstall windows 7, and install xp.. worth the effort if you ask me..

did i mention that ec is a flop?

to me, its like making an 'enhanced' version of a famous piece of art or something.. to me, its like... wtf? seriously.. like, lets take the mona lisa, and ENHANCE it, so its got a better UI and stuff...

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

Feature request: With UOAM, I can type "-mark" when I die, and UOAM drops a marker. Really handy when I die I can mark where the corpse is. -Unmark will pick up the marker.

Can UOC do that?

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Please take Crysta's "complaints/suggestions" with a grain of salt and look at them constructively. He's got problems with phrasing things without coming off inconsiderate. He's probably got a few valid opportunities for improvement, but for some reason seems to feel that it's okay to badger you for not reaching perfection while still working on the program.

I'll thank you for your work so far on his behalf, and beg you to not take him at 100% face-value with his "suggestion technique."
I'm guessing I should have said those things are the only problems i've had with it at all? Those changes and i'd be happy to use that rather than UOAM, for sure.

L

Lord Roland

Very nice job on this, it works perfectly for me and several others in my guild!

Keep up the good work on it!

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The very little bit I have used it has worked wonderfully. Very glad to see it supported by and available to modders for the EC.

Keep it coming!

archiv

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Was working great. Suddenly when it launches, it is off screen somewhere. Shows it's running, if I right click it's tab and maximize it, it pops up in full size. If I minimize it again, it goes back to it's hidey spot. It's somewhere up in the upper left of my screen. If i right click the tap and hit resize, it gives my cross up there but unable to do anything with it.
Using Windows XP and UOAssist. Any tips?

Z

Zambowow

Great program! Kills UOAM by far! Just can't seem to get the server to work correctly, all I get is "Starting Server" and nothing else. Once I figure this out, it will be greatttttttttttttt!

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Was working great. Suddenly when it launches, it is off screen somewhere. Shows it's running, if I right click it's tab and maximize it, it pops up in full size. If I minimize it again, it goes back to it's hidey spot. It's somewhere up in the upper left of my screen. If i right click the tap and hit resize, it gives my cross up there but unable to do anything with it.
Using Windows XP and UOAssist. Any tips?
Solution 1 - easy way
When uocartographer is maximized, right click your task bar and select cascade windows

Solution 2 - if easy way doesn't work
When it is offscreen, click on its tab in the taskbar to make it the active window. Then press alt+space. This should bring up a small menu. Don't touch your mouse now. Use the down cursor key to scroll to "move". Hit enter. Now use the cursor keys to move it back on screen.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Great program! Kills UOAM by far! Just can't seem to get the server to work correctly, all I get is "Starting Server" and nothing else. Once I figure this out, it will be greatttttttttttttt!
From what I gather, the server fuction may not be ready yet in this current beta version.

K

Kiwillian

Hey, I'm back. Gonna try and quickly cover the recent posts in one quick go. Then I'll add some of the common problems to the first post.

Black Window: Double and Triple check your client paths. Make sure you are setting the right one for your client and that it actually exists in windows explorer.

Doesn't Track: 2d: try running UOC as admin. It may have trouble talking to UOAssist on Vista/7 if the two programs are running at different user levels. EC: check the EC Beta subforum, there are mods and skins becoming available that make EC work seamlessly with UOC!

Server Does Nothing: Make sure you set a port number (11000 for instance), it may not be set. Make sure you use the "exit" button to quit it, closing the window minimizes it to the clock area. It doesn't really "do" anything when running, you'll see stuff in the log window when people join/leave though.

Window Goes Off Screen: Harlequin has a couple off good suggestions. Another is to maximize it from the task bar then quit. This will make it show up in the maximized size and you can move/resize it. This is a bug :(

Phew! :)

E

Eyes of Origin

Ok if we cant use the same server we used for UOAM, how can we get this to work and have everyone in our guilds to log on? Might be a newb question, but having issues setting this up.
Anyone want to explain maybe?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

Bless you Kiwi. Might I suggest you and your staff put together a FAQ? What! No staff?

K

Kiwillian

Yeah, i'll try and make one this week and put it on my website.

Eyes Of Origin: I'll try and write something up now and post it shortly since there are a lot of questions about this :)

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Server Does Nothing: Make sure you set a port number (11000 for instance), it may not be set. Make sure you use the "exit" button to quit it, closing the window minimizes it to the clock area. It doesn't really "do" anything when running, you'll see stuff in the log window when people join/leave though.
Neat! I thought it wasn't in yet, gonna test this out.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

was a little happy to see this thread then i tested it and crashed... not so happy anymore.
Post more details, such as what error message you are getting if any. And what stage it is crashing at - whether it is crashing during install, or installed fine, but crashing during map generation. Or whether it crash once or everytime etc.

I believe kiwi would be able to help you. If it's a generic windows issue, other folks can help too.

That's why it's beta, kiwi needs to know what and where bugs are so that he can resolve it.

Edit: btw, uocartographer generates a crashlog file too. So it will also be helpful for troubleshooting problems. I don't know about the source code, but as a troubleshooter, I see dump logs, meaningful error msgs and dummy stubs as all good software development essentials. If the crashlog is a sign of things to come, so far kiwi is doing a pretty good and disciplined job.

K

Kiwillian

yeah the server is in, it's just a little unfriendly :)

Here's a brief rundown for everyone:

You first need to set a port, just pick 11000 since this seems to work, or another number if you like (say between 2000 and 65000). Check the Global Password box and type in a password. This is the simple way to use it which we'll stick to for now :)

If you want guildies to connect you'll need to forward the port on your router/modem. This varies from model to model. Forward the port you chose to the internal IP of the PC running the server. To find the internal IP, go Start->Run type cmd and hit OK then type ipconfig it should show up there. Probably something like 192.168.x.x. Forward the port to that address and choose UDP or ANY for the Protocol or Type.

Now find out what your external IP is. There are plenty of websites that will do this. Give this external IP, the port and the password to your guildies and get them to enter it in the UOC options and check "Show Status". Then they can choose "Connect" and the little light should go green! :) The person running the server should use the internal IP instead of the external one.

To address another issue: There are a few reasons why UOC is not compatible with UOAM servers.

First and foremost is the fact that the UOAM protocol is closed and not public. There have been some efforts to reverse engineer it but these are wobbly at best and possibly not very "legal" at worse. This is the main reason UOC does not support it.

Secondly, the UOAM server is very old and slow. It updates at a snails pace compared to UOC. I think the UOAM server updates maybe once every 2-3 seconds, which is terrible :(

Yes, it is going to be a pain in the ass, but the server is still a work in progress and can be expanded and improved. I could even open the protocol so others can implement servers, or make a dedicated linux one, all without being constrained by the legacy of UOAM.

Well, hope that was somewhat helpful :)

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

*shudder*
Actually, it's more akin to telling someone who finds an icon they don't like the look of in Windows ME to upgrade to Windows 7.

Contrary to vocal minority belief, the Enhanced Client is still in beta and detrimental to complete, fully functional gameplay.

Roskal

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Did I read in the above collection that there was no chat option like UOAM and that you didn't plan to put one in?

I hope you do add a chat option like what is in UOAM. We use chat constantly in the quild. Please please add chat.

thanks

I load this on a W7 laptop with no problem but first ran it as an admin and not all maps were loaded. Ran it again normal and it found all maps and seems to be working fine.

This will be a great program (especially if it has chat). :)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

There are so many other chat options. Let's allow Kiwi to nail this for what it is.

He does play UO. Well soon he will, I hope.

K

Kiwillian

There are so many other chat options. Let's allow Kiwi to nail this for what it is.

He does play UO. Well soon he will, I hope.
I'll get you if you don't watch out :mad: :twak:

:mf_prop:

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Only other problem i've had is that using the "always on top" option makes the map window display on top of everything, including its own options windows. Probably a good idea for those to be in front no matter what. :p

K

Kiwillian

Only other problem i've had is that using the "always on top" option makes the map window display on top of everything, including its own options windows. Probably a good idea for those to be in front no matter what. :p
Well, Always On Top works as advertised I guess hehe.

As for your earlier comment on the whole "fuzzy" thing, any chance you could post a screenshot of UOC and UOAM side by side on the same area? It pretty much looks exactly the same, even tilted on earlier side-by-sides I've seen.

K

Kiwillian

I just looked now and it seems UOAM used rectangular pixels for some weird reason. This has the effect of scaling the map up 2x vertically. Very strange.

N

NewYork

In Flames - KoC? 97 chesepeake?

S

SUPRsalad

I got the server up and running. So far, it seems seamless. No hickups whatsoever, at least none that couldn't be solved with the brief q&a of this thread. I am moving my entire guild onto the server first thing in the AM.
Our hats off to you, Kiwi. On behalf of my entire guild, I would like to thank you sincerely. If you have a paypal acct, and send your email address via PM, I would be happy to send a donation for your selfless endevour. If you ask me, EA/mythic should be paying you handsomely.

-Gemma

edit: still haven't figured out how to use 'advanced options'. They look so tasty too! :drool:
Also, what is position update range?

K

Kiwillian

I got the server up and running. So far, it seems seamless. No hickups whatsoever, at least none that couldn't be solved with the brief q&a of this thread. I am moving my entire guild onto the server first thing in the AM.
Our hats off to you, Kiwi. On behalf of my entire guild, I would like to thank you sincerely. If you have a paypal acct, and send your email address via PM, I would be happy to send a donation for your selfless endevour. If you ask me, EA/mythic should be paying you handsomely.

-Gemma

edit: still haven't figured out how to use 'advanced options'. They look so tasty too! :drool:
Also, what is position update range?
Thanks! No need for donations or anything. Let us know how you find the server. I know our guild has been very happy with it since it is so much faster than UOAM (lots of PvP :) ).

Advanced options are disabled for a reason - lol. Honestly, turning down the map rez makes it look like poop. Really, really poop. There is very little, if any, benefit performance wise.

Not sure what you mean by position update range...

S

SUPRsalad

I thought i found a bug, that wasn't a bug, more, a lack of sleep resulting in a complete mental breakdown. . .
I posted the alleged bug, then got embarrassed, and edited the post.. aaaaaaaaand goodnite..

S

SUPRsalad

Thanks! No need for donations or anything. Let us know how you find the server. I know our guild has been very happy with it since it is so much faster than UOAM (lots of PvP :) ).

Advanced options are disabled for a reason - lol. Honestly, turning down the map rez makes it look like poop. Really, really poop. There is very little, if any, benefit performance wise.

Not sure what you mean by position update range...
Oh, I meant GUI update range, sorry..
Also, having as fast of a position update rate as possible would be KEY
for the kind of fighting we do as a guild.

edit: i guess I am just looking for 'tweaks' that might have some pvp bennefit. Im sure, as a pvp-er, you understand this. ;)

GOD i can't wait to try this thing out tomorrow, all my guys logged and I want to play with our new tool!!!!

K

Kiwillian

Oh, I meant GUI update range, sorry..
Also, having as fast of a position update rate as possible would be KEY
for the kind of fighting we do as a guild.

edit: i guess I am just looking for 'tweaks' that might have some pvp bennefit. Im sure, as a pvp-er, you understand this. ;)

GOD i can't wait to try this thing out tomorrow, all my guys logged and I want to play with our new tool!!!!
I think you mean rate rather than range :) GUI rate limits the update of the map. The default is 30fps, which is probably faster than the client. Position rate I'm not even sure does anything now. It may only affect how often it tries to read the EC pos data. I think the default is 4 times a second, if it does anything.

Trust me, it's a heck of a lot faster than UOAM ever was. Get some guildies in the same spot, zoom it and run around each other. It should be a lot faster than UOAM, like maybe 200-300ms? Depends on ping though.

Also, missed your bug that wasn't :( lol

S

SUPRsalad

aaaaaaaaaaaaaawesome. just.. flippin, awesome..

don't worry about the bug that wasn't.. I think it was internal ;)

K

Kiwillian

aaaaaaaaaaaaaawesome. just.. flippin, awesome..

don't worry about the bug that wasn't.. I think it was internal ;)
I'll go ahead and assume you got the port forwarding thing sorted then? It can be a pain sometimes, depending on your router or modem.

R

RichDC

There is just one minor annoyance, can you make it so that when it is borderless it is able to move??

The problem comes as the size and position of the map changes once it has gone borderless, as i said its not a major thing just a little annoying at times.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'm guessing I should have said those things are the only problems i've had with it at all? Those changes and i'd be happy to use that rather than UOAM, for sure.
Probably. :) But I know you meant well with your post. I just didn't want someone else to read it as just a negative list of things that need to be fixed. For some strange reason, I've come to understand your posting style and read between the lines. Just like to keep people working on nice stuff like this encouraged. :)

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Working as advertised, loving it! Runs smoother than UOAM!

Can't wait for the next version :D

To show my appreciation, here comes my first request for future enhancements! -

1) A show/hide label toggle for different .map files (or alternatively for different categories). I sometimes want to see where my custom markers are without the labels for other stuff clustering the map

2) An ability to delete/edit markers within UOC itself (I think you already are planning to do this). I'm editing the map file in notepad atm.

3) Snap to edge of windows desktop

4) Resize the map when going into borderless mode so that the map enlarges to takes up the space of the borders. Makes it easier for me to resize the borderless map to fit the bottom right of my UO big window. (probably more work that the above 3 since you need UOC to read the windows settings first)

Or alternatively, an ability to resize the borderless map (but I'm not sure if this is possible).

Edit: Just wanted to say great job again!
Edit 2: Wife says thank you too! She keeps getting lost in the abyss :D
Adding 1 more request!

Have it only stay topmost if in windowed mode (like UOAM)?

I

IMTHEWHITERABBIT

When I try starting my server all I get is the box and in the box say "starting server", and it does nothing. . Any clues? Thanks