• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO2 comments from Lord British?

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I really do wonder how a UO2 would turn out if he had control of it. I know the other games he worked on may appear as a flop to most people but I wonder if he would treat UO2 with a certain level of effort to ensure it wouldn’t be, since Ultima pretty much made who who he is today.

Also wonder if he could make a game that was obviously UO2 but not called that… if that would be a workaround from EA’s ownership of UO.

Overall this probably just something he typed online and won’t go anywhere, but would be cool if it did.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Didn't he make a version of UO2?

I doubt today's softball society would make something so raw as what was UO in those first years before tram. It's hard to imagine a game being coded with the same option where people can show the true psychopaths we are just below the flesh.

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Didn't he make a version of UO2?

I doubt today's softball society would make something so raw as what was UO in those first years before tram. It's hard to imagine a game being coded with the same option where people can show the true psychopaths we are just below the flesh.
This deserves a slow clap — but the raw is what actually made this game amazing. There is a balance on keeping it open yet protecting those from completely unnecessary griefers. Not the easiest to achieve by any stretch.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
One of the things that I liked about early UO was the ability to choose a path. I mean when one of the skills is stealing and another is snooping, the game was setup to allow people to take the unsavory route. I agree with Oblivion that this is what made UO so great but there is definitely a point where there needs to be some sort of policing happening... I'm just not sure where that line is drawn. I think it probably is going to vary wildly depending on who you are asking.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We had the pk's and the anti's which was close to small town justice. Sure they were all just people who enjoyed the pvp aspect of the game but they provided a distinctive split.

What was a real downside was all the times a person had thier house broken into, that was a real unwelcome event. I could accept the home invasion, key yoinked at the bank or stupidly adding a "friend" but those villas and towers had issues.

Still, I'd play old UO with it's limited inflation and wide open savagery. A trusty chain mail suit, heater shield and a katana....it was a good moment in time.

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
We had the pk's and the anti's which was close to small town justice. Sure they were all just people who enjoyed the pvp aspect of the game but they provided a distinctive split.

What was a real downside was all the times a person had thier house broken into, that was a real unwelcome event. I could accept the home invasion, key yoinked at the bank or stupidly adding a "friend" but those villas and towers had issues.

Still, I'd play old UO with it's limited inflation and wide open savagery. A trusty chain mail suit, heater shield and a katana....it was a good moment in time.
This. You could buy a bag of equipment of a vendor and get back at it.

Or if you really loved to have fun back in the day - good old disarm thief FTW. There is nothing like serving some justice with your attacker’s own kryss of vanquishing that they just had in their hand…. Lolololol

That is what also makes UO great - creativity in the freedom is provides by those who play. Game is nothing without the players.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really do wonder how a UO2 would turn out if he had control of it.
Probably really, really bad.
With Shroud of the Avatar he proved (at least for me), that he has no idea to make a modern game, let alone a modern MMO. The combat was extremely boring, the whole UX was bad and don't even get me started with selling in-game real estate for real money.

The real UO2 was cancelled back then. (Certain assets made it even into UO, i.e. Meer & Juka, which were introduced with UO:TD)
UX:O was cancelled. (LB/RG was not involved though)
Shards Online/Legends of Aria went nowhere (spiritual successor from some of the old UO devs, RG not being involved)
Shroud of the Avatar was just atrocious. (Blatantly obvious spiritual successor)

I don't think, that there is enough audience left for a UO2. Actually I'm pretty surprised, that UO even manages to still pay the bills. I haven't played it in the last 6-7 years at least, but I definitely want to have a look at UO:NL. Maybe that can rekindle my interest for a while again.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also wonder if he could make a game that was obviously UO2 but not called that… if that would be a workaround from EA’s ownership of UO.
You could probably call it "UO2" and just not mention Ultima Online and be ok.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Uo is like playing Titanic online. We know there will be an iceberg, but not when and which Name is written on it.

There will not be a Titanic online 2

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sequels are never as good as the first.
Godfather II
Uo is like playing Titanic online. We know there will be an iceberg, but not when and which Name is written on it.

There will not be a Titanic online 2
Technically there already was since Shroud of the Avatar was set in Britain. It failed miserably in my eyes.