• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO.. What is it?

Ommy2k7

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, Ive played on Europa now for something like.. 14 years give or take afew breaks here and there. I started to play at the beginning of High School with a group of 4-5 friends and we absolutely LOVED it.. It was back in the day WAY before pub 16..

RP was Ripe on Europa.. Brit Bank was constantly RAMMED and my mighty 56k Modem was sweating like a nun in a brothel to keep up with me tryna rummage through my Bank for my Surpassingly Accurate Broadsword of FORCE! Hurrah!

The Hammer and Anvil in north west britain was heaving with Blacksmith's offering free repairs. Newbie Tamers would trudge through the streets of brit (Literally) with 10 Horses in toe, selling them to other characters. The Rich and Famous would ride through on their Nightmares with Blessed black Sandles on and Glacial Staffs in hand.

The Guild we were in called Azure (Az) for those who know/remember it. Used to run hunts into the bowls of Destard and Shame to see howfar we could get, Gathering asmany items as possible then gather back at our "Large Tower" on Dagger Isle for the Pot luck of Identifying the items we had looted.

Ahh them were the days.. truely great days...

Now.. Moving on.. (nostalgia must be kicking in by now). I went to a sort of Gamers meet up in Birmingham about a year and a half ago.. Most of them played WoW, WHO, DaoC etc.. Star wars and the like.. But to my absolute horror, I VERY VERY high proportion of Gamers hadn't even heard of Ultima Online let alone played it. Granted i sat around a table for a good 45 minutes talking to a group of about ten gamers about what the game was and the basics of it. Literally everyone said it sounded Amazing.. and to my knowledge three of them gamers are actual subscribers now; as i speak to them on regular basis'.

The fact that i managed (and im not in anyway bigging myself up here, im just using it as an example) to get 3 people, Different People, subscribing to the game in 45 minutes, to me speaks volumes. I think EA, Mythic Entertainment or whatever the guys who run this game are calling thereselves these days should SERIOUSLY think about advertising this game, Not just in the US, But in Asia and Europe.

For one year forget about UO conventions In America or where have you.. The ones where the EM's, GM's and other smurfs meet and talk to us gamers. And Spend it on actually GETTING Gamers into the game, a Years advertising should surely boost revenue and player subscription and Finally get Britannia back on its feet.

Giving these people who moan and groan and throw toys out of their cott becuase Britannia is "Dead". Its Not dead. Its just malnourished.. It needs food and An MMO's food is its players. So For God sake EA.. ADVERTISE.

Peace and Love.

Lord Omega,
Europa.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Seems like a fair point to me. I'd love to see some Facebook ads.

As many problems as there are, even 15 years after its inception, it still beats 100% of flash and browser-based games. I think the market for UO is still alive.

GreywolfUK

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my mighty 56k Modem was sweating like a nun in a brothel to keep up with me tryna rummage through my Bank for my Surpassingly Accurate Broadsword of FORCE! Hurrah!
And then get a lag spike or crash, and said sword dropping to the deck, oh those where the days :sad3::sad3::sad3::sad3:.

You also forgot the Suicide runs into Destard, seeing who could get to the back wall and out again with the least number of deathrobes, or was that just me and a few nutcase friends that did those kind of things. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, and I do remember the old Azure guild

But I do agree with you on the advertising, it is time EA/Whoever got their royal fingers out and did some serious advertising for what is and always will be the best online game of its type.