• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(OT) UO Memories

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
This thread is about old school UO and your notable memories. I will start:

My first powerful memory of old UO was the congregation of people at West Brit Bank. As many here know, UO was perhaps the first real "MMORPG" of the internet era. So the leading gamers (including me) were deeply impressed by the amount of people online within the same gaming atmosphere. There was nothing like it. People were using 14k, 28k, and 56k dialup modems back then. So lag was a regular part of UO. But if you had the cutting edge, 56k modem, then you were set! You had a distinct advantage over everybody. You could react way faster than everybody else.

West Brit Bank was filled with people trading, meeting, and thieving. There was no global chat. There were no town teleporters, no way to skip around the world. Runes were rather rare, since people had to spread across the world to mark them. Plus they were dangerous, you often had no way to return from where you came, without magery skill.

The scamming and thieving was great. There were literally "no rules" on old school UO. Anything went, if you had your items stolen, and just about everything was up for grabs, then too bad. Also you could get scammed out of houses and items, too bad! SOL for you! The game was hardcore, like the "Wild Wild West". That's what impressed me most, and I still miss it.

If you could navigate the spam, buying, selling, scamming, and thieving, then West Brit Bank was one of the most memorable experiences of early UO.

Your turn!

Last edited:

archiv

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My first memories of UO were of a friend showing me what the game was about, trying to convince me to play. He started by going to WB bank and getting supplies or something, just watching him in the bank had an interesting affect on me. As he was leaving town he ran into a group of others who wanted him dead. Poison fields started going up all over, he stealthed around and after a few minutes escaped with his head. He next wanted to show me a dungeon, to this day I couldn't tell you where he was, but into the dungeon he goes, stops by a chest on the ground and does something that causes an explosion on himself! He follows with typing "Damn tinkers!" and runs off. What I didnt see or realize he did was trap the chest. He hides and stealths back just in time to see some unsuspecting schlub open the box and BOOM! down he goes. My friend chuckles, loots what he wanted and goes on his way.
This may not seem like much of a story, but it was enough to get me to buy the $80 collectors box set with UO pin, figurine, cloth map of the world...unfortunately I lived in Alaska at the time and was unable to get a sustainable connection so never got past creating the character (this was back around '98 I believe). About 5 years later I was in a new state, new town, new world. Decided to give it another shot. While I never experienced the "original" UO above, even my first experience of actually playing was enough to keep me around. Killing horses and llamas for leather to sell to the NPC for gold so I could train up every skill I could find on every NPC, not knowing there was a max. Buying every Recall scroll from every vendor, not knowing what they were but realizing they must be important since so many vendors were selling them and they looked magical! Being unable to move because I was overburdened with 500 recall scrolls, moving 1 step at a time, resting, moving, resting. Dying for the first time from a giant serpent that I couldn't run away from because I was overburdened with 500 damn recall scrolls. Having no clue what to do next because I was alone, eventually accidentally running into a wandering healer. Realizing I had lost my precious 500 scrolls upon being revived. Swearing up and down, left and right as I tried to find my body to recover those damn scrolls. Dying again possibly the same giant serpent. More swearing. Turning the stupid game off and storming outside. Coming back after several hours, after calming down and deciding to go back to rebuilding my horsehide fortune and get some more scrolls only to log in and see that grey screen because I didnt know you couldnt just shut it down anywhere...
Anyway, my first adventure. Really nothing spectacular, just my first in game memories. Something I wish I would have been able to play in and a feeling I miss while playing now. I also miss the loaded vendors with regular gear, not all the super-arti gear but that's a whole different topic.

HoldenCaulfield

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

My first powerful memory of old UO was the congregation of people at West Brit Bank. As many here know, UO was perhaps the first real "MMORPG" of the internet era. So the leading gamers (including me) were deeply impressed by the amount of people online within the same gaming atmosphere. There was nothing like it. People were using 14k, 28k, and 56k dialup modems back then. So lag was a regular part of UO. But if you had the cutting edge, 56k modem, then you were set! You had a distinct advantage over everybody. You could react way faster than everybody else.

West Brit Bank was filled with people trading, meeting, and thieving. There was no global chat. There were no town teleporters, no way to skip around the world. Runes were rather rare, since people had to spread across the world to mark them. Plus they were dangerous, you often had no way to return from where you came, without magery skill.

The scamming and thieving was great. There were literally "no rules" on old school UO. Anything went, if you had your items stolen, and just about everything was up for grabs, then too bad. Also you could get scammed out of houses and items, too bad! SOL for you! The game was hardcore, like the "Wild Wild West". That's what impressed me most, and I still miss it.

If you could navigate the spam, buying, selling, scamming, and thieving, then West Brit Bank was one of the most memorable experiences of early UO.

Your turn!

The restoration of West Brit Bank to its glory days is my reason for running for governor!

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Your turn!
Wait a minute, who typed that for you ? :p

crossandmore

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
ak,dial up, and days no wait...weeks! in minoc caves. Always mining that same old grid,smithing for ages and selling my goods right there. Then AoS came, and I left. (not cause of AoS,but cause my ex got my account in the divorce :p )

ApollyonSP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Speaking of the over crowdedness of WBB, let's move onto my memory #2.

The good thing about crowding was the sense of "MMO". UO was revolutionary. You people who didn't experience need to understand this. This was the seed to what eventually blossomed into World of Warcraft and other MMORPGs. UO was the first online game where people, across the world, could access a relatively "free" world. So the over crowding was good in one sense. It really immersed you into MASSIVE multiplayer online. It was MASSIVE.

So do you remember the second most crowded place in Old Britainia??? Yes! It was the blacksmith shop! Just head north several screens, and prepare to spend your hard earned money (no questioning how you got it), on the competing blacksmiths working the forges around the clock. There was always somebody slaving over hot embers at the blacksmith shop, creating the hardest steal, to replace all those quickly lost suits. And people were in HIGH DEMAND. Because the average player lost everything, often. Far too often. The blacksmiths themselves would either buy ore and ingots from miners, or multi task and do it themselves. The best smiths would just hire a miner. Because mining was DIFFICULT back then. If you were mining outside of town, then monsters and PKs would nail you. Most miners just mined in town. But as I remember, there was less ore produced within the town limits? That may have changed at one point.

Bartering was common. People needed repairs, bought and sold items. There were some scammers and thieves, but not as much as at WBB. The Britain smith was another OLD UO MEMORY worth writing down.

Wait a minute, who typed that for you ? :p
Somebody else :)

Fogsbane

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
December 28, 1998 - Santas Sleigh (test center shard)

At the time this was taken - I had not seen spawning Wheat in the game for over a year. (Atlantic).

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Haha your mining in and around town.. :) got me thinking. My first char was a hodge podge too.. Magery swords.. Smithing.

I would run around despise with a dungeon with a friend tag teaming earth eles .. Hoping for invul armor and silver weapons.

Bagging the rest to smelt. To ingots .. To later sell or use. Most sold.to the smiths at brit forge or traded for armor. Haha

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
My most memorable experience of UO was around 2002, I started playing in 2001 at Third Dawn on the Europa shard.

I really liked dragons/WWs so I worked for months to GM taming so I could tame one, unfortunately back then most "tamers" were people who trained taming to about 70 and then bought white wyrms to hunt with, back then you could control them with way lower than it took to tame them, also there was no limit to the number of pets you controlled so all these "tamers" would have 5-7 white wyrms they bought at brit bank

Im not an RPer as such but I like to think of my pets as pets rather than tools and they did matter to me, as such to many peoples amusement I would hunt with my single white wyrm which I had tamed and worked very hard to keep alive, back then if they died they were gone and that would make me quite sad, anyway I digress...

One day hunting in Destard with my WW, one of the many "tamers" in there with an army of WWs lovingly named "A","B","C","D" etc seemed to take a dislike to my use of a singular pet to fight dragons with, he would see me and my WW fighting one, and come over and "ALL KILL" and his 6 WWs would swamp the dragon I was fighting, causing mine to take massive damage(as mine would be tanking it) and then he would get the loot(as back then it was on % of damage done).
As is the way in such situations the guy seemed to be mute, each time he did it I would ride over to him after and say "will you please stop doing that", its not like there is a shortage of dragons in there, he would completely ignore me, loot and carry on, infact he was enjoying exploiting the game mechanics to grief me so much he began following me and doing it, after a while I figured if exploiting mechanics is the name of the game, two can play at that.
I had a rune in my rune book to the centre of terrathan keep, a place where only a bard can expect to have any chance of survival and you can only cast gates etc at certain points, I attacked a free dragon and as expected my new "friend" runs over and "ALL KILL", I tell my WW to stay and walk into the middle of the dragon and cast a gate to this rune, one by one I watch "A","B" and "C" etc disappear through the gate leaving only my WW left, I couldn't believe how well that worked, my little friend stood there stunned long enough for me to say "here endeth the lesson".

Eventually the cogs in my new friends brain worked out what had happened and he was suddenly miraculously cured of his mutism and very keen to talk to me, most of it is unprintable of course but it was mostly "gate gate gate or I report U", so I obliged and gated him to that spot in terra keep.

Later on in Skara a GM appears near me to tell me off presumably, I relay the story and told a slight porkie that I made the gate to hunt elsewhere as he kept kill stealing, turns out he told the GM I did that to him in a town, when found out it was in a Dungeon he said as much as "anything goes in a dungeon", GM did tell me he and all his WWs got killed in terra keep, shame..

This and similar exploits hiding behind tram rules made me start to really dislike the tram ruleset, people are a lot more considerate and polite when you have the option of attacking them.

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember training at the Cove cemetary with many other noobs and hoping a lich didn't appear.
Being in a dungeon and watching people fall all over themselves when 1 red appeared.
The bounty system was awesome and one of the things I really miss.
Running a naked Mage and hatin on fools in bucs den (for the record I do like lrc suits, carrying reagents was a pain).
I started in early 1998 and it was pretty much impossible to place a house. 1 million gold could sell for up to $30 on eBay. Uo tradespot was awesome, a lot of people xsharded gifts through that site and icq.
There are many more memories.

Barania

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember

I remember back when Moonglow was a major hub of activity. To a degree activity approached what Holden pictured above in Britain. Reds, thieves, or whomever....one could teleport onto the roof of the smith shop across from the bank. The alchy place across from the tailor shop was teleport able.

Remember special folks like MJ/Mashiara.

Jack Nickelson

Troop

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once upon a time (Probably about 5 or 6 years ago), a guy named Coyote Jack tried to appoint himself king of Gilfane. Coyote's minions erected a throne for him to sit on. I became angered at his arrogance and I let my gnomes out of the shoe factory to take care of business. The gnomes were small but fierce in their dirty deeds. The gnomes defecated all over Coyote's throne and lit it on fire. A short time later, Coyote gave up and Gilfane was restored to peace.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My first ever UO home was in pk or red valley ie full of murderers, in a forest west of Minoc.
That first ever home, is a fond memory remains so cuz of all that happened at the time.

A friend of mine whom was a murderer, thus red, sold my Queen Zen on Chesapeake the very first UO home I ever got to buy/own. He sold it to me for original cost of his buying and placing the tiny 7 x 7 home.
Most of the neighborhood knew about it and somewhere in my newbieness I had always established some repore with other players regardless of their hue. :)
So most of the red murderers in their castles, keeps, large shaped L classic homes, all were ok with my moving in there in my first ever puny 7 x 7 house, and left me be.
But one guy was really ticked off that the red hued chap sold that lil home to a BLUE and he felt he shoulda gotten to buy it etc. etc.
He was very angry and kept attacking me waiting in wait for me to get home to pk me over and over and over cuz HE wanted me to move out, and he could get that lil house. Chesapeake back then early 1998 was housing FULL, so even to get a tiny home was like some miracle for any one.
Not much I could do, never lost my house KEY though, forgot how many times I died but apparently the red neighbors got ticked off at the red that wanted that house so badly he kept on killing my Queen Zen hoping I guess that I would leave or quit UO for good. Then one day, I seen an entire posse full of reds, at my door, and they KILLED that jerk , res killed and killed him over and over again, for several days in a row later. :)

I was quite amazed and joyful, I felt I had made some FRIENDS and they were that day showing it, red blue whatever, never matters if ya do not play like a ....%^%^%(&^(& towards some one, just cuz ya can't accept what one other person does that you we us does not like, in game, like selling a puny house to whomever the original owner wanted to sell it to, like me. :) That jerk never came back again....maybe he learned his lesson, that if someone wanted to SELL him that house, then he woulda had it...but that owner sold it to me so ...GET OVER IT the neighborhood full of reds, sorta told him in no uncertain terms to get over it. :) I FELT accepted and knew I was truly HOME in UO, in pk valley there. :)

Ah memories back in the day when UO had no ...............insurance no trammel and ya made friends of any hues, red or blue, cuz we were ONE player base, on one spot with no walls/facet built up, to divide us all, separating us for good, thus sharing the same UO world together, learning to co exist, together someway, in one UO world; undivided. :)

But ima old school, probably why in the end,spring of 2004 I went to Siege PERILOUS. :) RED BLUE we share the same landmass, world etc. on Siege undivided, uninsured and the first pk that pk'd me there, I LOL at him, pointed at him, joking at him, cuz he was in a BLESSED vet robe. I called him a 'trammie' and he murdered me again, but with laughter/friendship sayin to me ... Welcome to SIEGE QZ, I think ur gonna do ok here on Siege, too, and he res me and gimme back my junky stuff, even. :)
----------------
I also have memories of old UO with hard core role players back in the day on Chesapeake, then the first new expansion came along, the lost lands. The new city back then of Delucia was FULL of newbies, many of them wanting to become pvpers pks etc. But they did not roleplay they were younger, most of em bout 16-20 yrs old just beginning Ultima Online with that new lost lands expansion. So when I was on Queen Zen, I could roleplay even with the most hard core role players of the lot, but I was seeing a great *divide* them youngsters were talkin weird and roleplayers were looking down on them all.

Well now lots of these kids were just feisty youngsters, mostly boys, and talking like;
Ubber 733t, roxxors and so forth. LOL The youngsters frowned on Roleplay and I oft said to them; ummmmmmm unless ye are a rl murderer/thief ye are ROLEPLAYING a murderer/thief in a game called Ultima Online. lol They would go OMFG [I AM] ROLEPLAYING !! haha
And I would say YEP, UR roleplaying welcome to Ultima Online !

I used my imaginative roleplaying and became Queen Zen [the royal language translator] with humor and it actually WORKED with quite a few of the hard core roleplayers and them younsters too, talking their own language in UO. :)

So whilst saying to some roleplayer..... I'd say as the orphaned Queen,

" One moment please, I hath a translation in my translation book of translating foreign languages....hold on....ah ...*as I flipped pages in an NPC book* and then I would exclaim... he is saying, that he is exquisite and dynamic and believes in his own fighting skillz opps sorry skills and he hath been saying to that other chap, over yonder, that he is UBBER 733tness & will roxxors joo which translated means he is going to exterminate the other chap onto his untimely but speedy demise, :) or whatever I needed to say, to help TRANSLATE and it obviously became a hit with the feisty youngsters and the hard core role players [well many of them] ..some just looked at my Queen Zen, like I had lost my sanity...but whatever most of them enjoyed my silly comic attempts to conquer the great divide of ...ubber 733t speak and roleplay speak, as a 'royal translator' for Chesapeake shard back in the day 98. :) I HAD FUN, doing it. :)

Last edited:

Dust_Priest

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
My first ever UO home was in pk or red valley ie full of murderers, in a forest west of Minoc.
That first ever home, is a fond memory remains so cuz of all that happened at the time.

A friend of mine whom was a murderer, thus red, sold my Queen Zen on Chesapeake the very first UO home I ever got to buy/own. He sold it to me for original cost of his buying and placing the tiny 7 x 7 home.
Most of the neighborhood knew about it and somewhere in my newbieness I had always established some repore with other players regardless of their hue. :)
So most of the red murderers in their castles, keeps, large shaped L classic homes, all were ok with my moving in there in my first ever puny 7 x 7 house, and left me be.
But one guy was really ticked off that the red hued chap sold that lil home to a BLUE and he felt he shoulda gotten to buy it etc. etc.
He was very angry and kept attacking me waiting in wait for me to get home to pk me over and over and over cuz HE wanted me to move out, and he could get that lil house. Chesapeake back then early 1998 was housing FULL, so even to get a tiny home was like some miracle for any one.
Not much I could do, never lost my house KEY though, forgot how many times I died but apparently the red neighbors got ticked off at the red that wanted that house so badly he kept on killing my Queen Zen hoping I guess that I would leave or quit UO for good. Then one day, I seen an entire posse full of reds, at my door, and they KILLED that jerk , res killed and killed him over and over again, for several days in a row later. :)

I was quite amazed and joyful, I felt I had made some FRIENDS and they were that day showing it, red blue whatever, never matters if ya do not play like a ....%^%^%(&^(& towards some one, just cuz ya can't accept what one other person does that you we us does not like, in game, like selling a puny house to whomever the original owner wanted to sell it to, like me. :) That jerk never came back again....maybe he learned his lesson, that if someone wanted to SELL him that house, then he woulda had it...but that owner sold it to me so ...GET OVER IT the neighborhood full of reds, sorta told him in no uncertain terms to get over it. :) I FELT accepted and knew I was truly HOME in UO, in pk valley there. :)

Ah memories back in the day when UO had no ...............insurance no trammel and ya made friends of any hues, red or blue, cuz we were ONE player base, on one spot with no walls/facet built up, to divide us all, separating us for good, thus sharing the same UO world together, learning to co exist, together someway, in one UO world; undivided. :)

But ima old school, probably why in the end,spring of 2004 I went to Siege PERILOUS. :) RED BLUE we share the same landmass, world etc. on Siege undivided, uninsured and the first pk that pk'd me there, I LOL at him, pointed at him, joking at him, cuz he was in a BLESSED vet robe. I called him a 'trammie' and he murdered me again, but with laughter/friendship sayin to me ... Welcome to SIEGE QZ, I think ur gonna do ok here on Siege, too, and he res me and gimme back my junky stuff, even. :)
----------------
I also have memories of old UO with hard core role players back in the day on Chesapeake, then the first new expansion came along, the lost lands. The new city back then of Delucia was FULL of newbies, many of them wanting to become pvpers pks etc. But they did not roleplay they were younger, most of em bout 16-20 yrs old just beginning Ultima Online with that new lost lands expansion. So when I was on Queen Zen, I could roleplay even with the most hard core role players of the lot, but I was seeing a great *divide* them youngsters were talkin weird and roleplayers were looking down on them all.

Well now lots of these kids were just feisty youngsters, mostly boys, and talking like;
Ubber 733t, roxxors and so forth. LOL The youngsters frowned on Roleplay and I oft said to them; ummmmmmm unless ye are a rl murderer/thief ye are ROLEPLAYING a murderer/thief in a game called Ultima Online. lol They would go OMFG [I AM] ROLEPLAYING !! haha
And I would say YEP, UR roleplaying welcome to Ultima Online !

I used my imaginative roleplaying and became Queen Zen [the royal language translator] with humor and it actually WORKED with quite a few of the hard core roleplayers and them younsters too, talking their own language in UO. :)

So whilst saying to some roleplayer..... I'd say as the orphaned Queen,

" One moment please, I hath a translation in my translation book of translating foreign languages....hold on....ah ...*as I flipped pages in an NPC book* and then I would exclaim... he is saying, that he is exquisite and dynamic and believes in his own fighting skillz opps sorry skills and he hath been saying to that other chap, over yonder, that he is UBBER 733tness & will roxxors joo which translated means he is going to exterminate the other chap onto his untimely but speedy demise, :) or whatever I needed to say, to help TRANSLATE and it obviously became a hit with the feisty youngsters and the hard core role players [well many of them] ..some just looked at my Queen Zen, like I had lost my sanity...but whatever most of them enjoyed my silly comic attempts to conquer the great divide of ...ubber 733t speak and roleplay speak, as a 'royal translator' for Chesapeake shard back in the day 98. :) I HAD FUN, doing it. :)
Before I throw my couple of memories, id just like to ask ye one question queen zen. did you happen to know lady oria or the folks from regal unicorn of Chesapeake?

OoO o OOo O Ooo OoOOoo
can I get a res please

Being perfectly rested, you shove them out of the way.
It begins to rain.
It begins to snow.

when I started ultima back in like '98-'99 I got the opportunity too play with three brothers from a house down in riverside. we would all take turns, naturally, the oldest brother would get the longest turn. the two younger ones, were the folks I always hung out with, and played either ultima or magic the gathering. any which way, I think I remember helpin one of my friends do lumberjacking outside his house, before hed get in a fight with his brother(because there was only one house aloud per account or whatnot if I remember right), because he wanted to build the house on his shard or whatever. I played very little then doin random things, like beggin from npcs and players, sometimes gettin "PAID" and promptly gettin murdered then robbed, or robbed then murdered. i also remember hangin out in vesper, then somewhere around three trolls raided the town. after that, some guy started fightin em(and probably a couple town guards), then I jumped in with no shirt, dark grey(regular dye tub) shorts, and had a kryss i just found somewhere.(i used to do old npc escorts, then lead em out of town, killin them afterwards. unless, of course, the town was nearby. heh... i also eventually got good enough too take an orc lord...)at least, something to that measure. then one day my parents got a computer, then after a couple years they got the internet. so one day I finally acquired ultima, back when the disc was just blank with the orange art of the guy with the shield blockin dragon fire, I believe? pretty exciting when I was walkin through town and opened a box then, "you begin spasming uncontrollably." (that was after I got annihilated, I think a gargoyle, outside of vesper cemetery. cause I used to pull the skeletons WAYYY BACK so I didn't get overwhelmed.) so naturally, I start spasming uncontrollably in real life and getting all stressed out at like 12 years old or whatever, couldn't remember where the healer was, running in circles, and dieing very, very slowly. then promptly deleting the character and starting over(which I probably did 100 times). then there was always the epic ettin battle. kill the ettin, then get murdered by a posse of folks, after killin the ettin of course ;). after about 10,000 years worth of lessons hard-learned I met a bard(who I cant remember the name of) and lady oria, who let me join R*U? I think it was. they were very into roleplaying, and I was very into listenin or watchin, whatever ye prefer. they took me too delucia to kill efreets and help me train, and find demon bone armor... heh. they helped me get a tribal spear too, and that was the best.. black robe, demon bone gloves, tribal spear, topknot. those folks were real and very cool too me, will never forget it. ashio, knight of the dieties... haha... I also remember trainin for hours in jhelom duelin pits in those days, it prevented me from getting murdered as much.. hehe... that's a little rundown of my back in the day uo adventures, preciate the opportunity to share em wit yall. peace!

Last edited:

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:) I do recall a chr. named Lady Oria. . but the mind just went blank. I think I seen R*U over some peoples heads. I was allied to Paxlair many a year when I wasn't in Order or CoM. :)

But reading ye post I thought of one other comic memory of older UO. I as Queen Zen was with a friend a tamer. We were in the same guilds. Anyhow twas my job so to speak to heal his butt, while he tried to tame strange critters. I would archery them critters from a distance, if need be, but he was taming so he got the main combat off untamed critters, and I healed his butt when I could do so. Anyhow this new critter came into UO in those lost lands and he had me running with him all over noman's land out there, in the lost lands to tame this new creature that he wanted so badly for a tame pet, newly introduced.

It was beautiful, all solid black and wild roaming free. He was gm tamer high as ya could go back then, and vet etc. whatever needed but it was some new creature in Ultima Online. He goes to tame it... Will you be my friend oh great and noble beast ?

That critter fried him and me too and everyone on that hill..................:)
That new critter was a nightmare !

Oh it was purty, all shiny black and wild to wit after we walked ALL the way back to Papua DEAD...I told my friend :
Maybe some critters are better off left noble beasts and WILD and free...not some tame off some human taming them.
I had a newb tamer on that same Queen Zen Acct. named Whyte Tigresss, tamed me a original meat eating unicorn once but then UO changed the skillz needed to
get our unicorns to function so my poor unicorn from those same lost lands sat in a Delucia kennel for forever...I was so not into taming ever, I guess. I was offered millions upon millions of gp for the original meat eating unicorn I tamed when we only needed like 65.0 to tame one and the first ones, post patch newer unicorns became fruit eaters and ya needed higher skill with that patch, to control any of them, soooo my unicorn remains, to this day, stabled. meh.
---
Which reminds me ....of some fanciful tamer, whom I got to get to know in a peculiar way, here on Siege. You see he was in some guild called Maladiction or whateverz that were enemies of Aeric's Guardians of MYTH guild. So I seen him and tried to feed his fancy pet some meat sooo maybe it would be a friendly critter, while his tamer owner was busy attacking another MYTH member. So I tried to feed his fanciful pet scoobie snax of meat.........ummmm that twas when Hattori's foo foo hiryu or cu sidhe pup doggie thingie pet protested at me ...and killed me. Well hellzbellz I didn't know hiryus or cu whichever is the doggie lookin ones, were fruit eaters or whatevers, I weren't no tamer.
:)

Sorry Hat...but it is a fond memory of one day of mine here on Siege, your dorky pet refused to eat meat, protested at me and exterminated me. That'll teach me to try to be friends with some fricken firey foo foo hiryu or cu sidhe thingie pet. lol

Also comic memory of going out here on Siege with another guy whom had a tamer and his name on one of his chrs, was Castor. Me him Skylark went off so he could try to tame this new critter, fire steed. LOL That first encounter did not go well either first go round, with new fire steed... critter taming OoOOOooOO lol

Oh and lest I forget, another memory of UO, :) this was at a wedding in Iantown on Siege.

Last edited:

Dust_Priest

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
:) I do recall a chr. named Lady Oria. . but the mind just went blank. I think I seen R*U over some peoples heads. I was allied to Paxlair many a year when I wasn't in Order or CoM. :)

But reading ye post I thought of one other comic memory of older UO. I as Queen Zen was sorta in game engaged to this guy whom was a *shudder* tamer. We were in one of the same guilds. Anyhow twas my job so to speak to heal his butt, while he tried to tame strange critters. I would archery them critters from a distance but he was taming so he got the main combat off untamed critters, and I healed his butt when I could do so. Anyhow this new critter came into UO in those lost lands and he had me running with him all over noman's land out there in the lost lands to tame this new creature that he wanted so badly for a tame pet, newly introduced to just those lost lands.

It was beautiful, all solid black and wild roaming free. He was gm tamer high as ya could go back then, and vet etc. whatever needed but it was some new creature in Ultima Online. He goes to tame it... Will you be my friend oh great and noble beast ?

That critter fried him and me too and everyone on that hill..................:) That new critter was a nightmare !

Oh it was purty, all shiny black and wild to wit after we walked ALL the way back to Papua DEAD...I told my friend :
Maybe some critters are better off left noble beasts and WILD and free...not some tame off some human taming them.
I had a newb tamer on that same Queen Zen Acct. named Whyte Tigresss, tamed me a original meat eating unicorn once but then UO changed the skillz needed to
get our unicorns to function so my poor unicorn from those same lost lands sat in a Delucia kennel for forever...I was so not into taming I guess. I was offered millions upon millions of gp for the original meat eating unicorn I tamed when we only needed like 65.0 to tame one and the first ones pre patching later on were and remained MEAT eaters, so lots of chessie folks wanted to buy my unicorn but I never sold it, kept it stabled all those years and it may still be stabled even though I am no longer playing UO.

Which reminds me ....of some fanciful tamer whom I got to get to know in a peculiar way here on Siege. You see he was in some guild called Maladiction or whatever that were enemies of Aeric's Guardians of MYTH guild. So I seen him and tried to feed his fancy pet some meat sooo maybe it would be a friendly critter while his tamer owner was busy attacking another MYTH member. So I tried to feed his fanciful pet scoobie snax of meat.........ummmm that twas when Hattori's foo foo hiryu or cu sidhe thingie doggie protested at me ...and killed me. Well hellzbellz I didn't know hiryus were fruit eaters or whatevers, I weren't no tamer.
:)

Sorry Hat...but it is a fond memory of one day of mine here on Siege, your dorky pet refused to eat meat, protested at me and exterminated me. That'll teach me to try to be friends with some fricken firey foo foo hiryu or cu sidhe thingie pet. lol

Oh and lest I forget, another memory of UO, :) this was at a wedding in Iantown on Siege.

That sounds like quite the adventure. that wedding looks like it was a massacre. was it one of those "special ceremony" types? :D
I used to run at high-speed(on foot, because of my mount almost always getting killed, somehow, shortly after id get to a place to try to hunt.) from any monster that could even poison you. One way i tried to counterweight not being able to handle venomous/magic creatures was to hire just about all the jhelom fighters i could afford and take them to fight reapers too, because that was the only way i could take one down. looking back I feel pretty bad about all the npcs and horses, ostards, llamas, or whatever id spend my last on :shots: to try to help me hunt those monsters. even though im starting to remember my old fencer used to have enough magery to consistently cast recall, so i probably stood back and healed all those poor folks fightin the reapers with the reggies i found on the ground. then, when lady oria took me to papua and delucia, and gave me runes, I learned about travelling long distances while dead as well(instead of deleting the character and starting over). after a few hours id start to see players taming great harts and deer, then start to realize i may be getting close to the delucia settlement, you probably resurrected me at the bank many times, as id get resurrected, run back to my corpse (if it didn't get deteriorated), and promptly get killed again, and again, and again. Back then, I thought ostards were the coolest mountable creature on the game, not even knowing about nightmares or unicorns. until one day I found a frenzied ostard, and got mauled to death by it, or maybe it was very close, then getting finished off by one of those good ol' tribe shamans or maybe some other majestic beast. cant really remember right now, but then I found llamas, and it was all good after that. I remember when lord blackthorn's revenge came out, then having to quit like a month or two after. if I remember right, weren't swamp dragons horses that were rendered green if you didn't have the blackthorn client also? good times

Last edited:

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That picture of all the dead peeps was taken here on Siege.
I do believe if memory serves, it was a wedding in player run town of Iantown here on Siege,
and tis someone that still posts here on Stratics :), and he still plays UO, he was the groom at that I^A wedding. :)

But nope none of my chrs. ever had any in game weddings, on Siege. I didn't see the point since I had 2 roleplaying weddings on Chesapeake back in the day, ages before I ever got on Siege and that second one was so awesome no sort of in game event woulda ever surpassed that chaos order wedding they held for me on Chesapeake.
But yeh they were roleplaying uo-ers, oft hosting mega events, so it was more of a shard wide event than anything else and I was rl married happily then and still so in game ones were just that some in game foo foo one does when roleplaying whatevers.

The last one was really special though, the 2nd groom of QZ back then was really into roleplaying. His rl wife played our maid of honor at the in game wedding. :) It was cool he and she both took the *storyline* of the orphan queen, daughter of chaos and order, and tamed a pile of nightmares and unicorns to represent Order and Chaos and he and his rl wife both UO tamers, and they had them all lined up with the dark steeds all on one side of the so called altar and the unicorns all bright white on the other side...it was too cool.
Then they had some of their/our in game friends standing as witnesses alternating the sporting the shields of CHAOS AND ORDER.

I was so surprised by all that they did come up with, and the wedding was held on an island, natch in the lost lands. :)

Too cool. His wife told me if she coulda had all that in their rl wedding; they would have. They rl didn't get much of a rl wedding since their parents were not fond of their choice so they just went off and eloped. Sooo in kinda fun they did it all up sorta special as if it were their own rl wedding redone like the one they had wanted but never got, cept with a UO twist tossing in Queen Zen character as the bride. That dark and light, fancy wedding is another UO memory, all those nightmares and unicorns on each side of the aisle, chaos and order shields, my original QZ was in Order, so yeh it all was way too cool and no one died at that wedding ceremony.
BTW that guy and his rl wife, both tried to come over to Siege shortly after I did, and ummm she quit on day one at her first pking they had become more trammelites than anything, and he kept trying to pvp and epic fail. I told him YOU are a tamer, tame on this shard too, it is what U enjoy playing...well he tried then some one here killed his pet dragon AND him soooooooo he never game back to Siege, he and his rl wife, left uo for good, and went off to play neverwinter nights or something. Meh ! TIMIDCHICKENZ do not do well on Siege. He was a tamer, got attacked here on Siege and totally paniced, as I said to him... standing over his corpsey and his dragon's corpsey:
GAH U FORGOT TO SAY FLUFFY^^^ ALL KILL...ur dragon, coulda whopped/fried that guy's butt.

Last edited:

Dust_Priest

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Nice, that is another thing I always loved about Ultima. So many people's creativity in one place, its interesting to see and hear all of the things people come up with. Like those weddings for example, and how players ran/still run player auctions, towns, taverns, and even the house customization nowadays. Its far more creative then getting forty (thousand) creature features together to go kill the same monsters over and over for twelve-hundred, six and a half-thousand hours. The teamwork is good, but they just don't have the creativity that Ultima's players bring to the banquet hall. I remember hoping, and working for a small cottage to keep all my dried herbs and tribal masks in.. Now we got folks basically building from the ground up. Some Kung Fu artists used to make in game fish aquariums out of different colored cloth, now if I remember right they actually have aquariums in deed form. I also just remembered being able to take anyone's boat at anytime (if it was unlocked of course :D), anywhere, but not being able to dry dock it; if I didn't get lost at sea.

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
My earliest memories of UO were frustrating. I had a friend who I used to RP with that found it and we both tried to play but we had no idea what we were doing. If I knew then what I know now, I bet I would have loved it. But as it was, everything we tried to do, we lost to PKs. I remember when housing started and I couldn't get in the game the entire day. Then next day all the spots were gone. Soon after that, another friend lured me to Asheron's Call, which went better.

RueTor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Quick time line of my notable memories….
  • Mining in UO
Started as a miner back when the game was released. My daughter named my first few characters (Ken & Barbie). Mining was done mostly in an unprotected areas and you ended up with a lot of black and white screen views of UO. Mining was quite competitive at that time (resources spots, staying alive, etc.). Spell books were not blessed at that time, so why bother with magery. Eventually, I started carrying around GM trapped boxes on my miner. I always got a little satisfaction when a PK ended up seeing black and white up during the looting process. GM armor and weapons got expensive to replace back then.
  • Trapping, Bounty System and translation programs
The most shards were packed and you were lucky to be able to place a 7x7. I thought I would explore Hokuto and Wakoku. Miner PKs were probably at the core of my next evolution – something about Freudian displacement. I drifted towards the darker side of tinkering. Not being much into PvP, I created a couple of characters named Pizzle with the goal to hide, stealth, trap, stay alive and successfully escape. At that time, the bounty system was in place on the shards – fun little system. Pizzle stayed on the top 3 of both the Hok and Wak bounty boards. During one episode of removing items from a poor soul that opened a trapped chest, Pizzle was called a “Looter! Looter! Looter! ” but the translated text came out as “Rooter! Rooter! Rooter! ” (that will come up again later).
  • Looting
Changes (Trammel) came to the game preventing profitable trapping, and eventually Pizzle committed suicide by cutting off his own head(s) and turning it in for the bounty (gold was a premium back then). Looking for new adventures, Ken was dusted off on Sonoma and joined Galad’s guild in learning the way of LuT. Monster loot was available to anyone that opens the corpse and was free for the taking. For some reason, others viewed the monster loot as belonging to the person that killed it while not taking into consideration all my precious time of standing there talking to them and waiting for them to finish killing the thing. Again… changes in the game eventually made this profession drift away, but fun while it lasted.
  • Wars
The “Bob” and “Fred” wars. New characters named “Bob” or “Fred” were created (no Haven back then) and given a few days to train up to war each other. All the characters with the same name and clothing running in a big war was very entertaining – until you run into the power gamer ringer.

• Skipped a lot of other stuff to Present Day
Creating new characters made the game fresh again. So I figured it was time to just build some new characters on various shards and snoop around. As not to forget my past, I used the old “Rooter” memories, split the phase in two and adopt the character name Rue Tor.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:) I remember the Bounty System. I even got some few heads to turn in, cuz at the time Chesapeake was full of heads to chop off and deliver for bounty. I only won a few but, ah memories...esp. on that shard, back in the day.