UO Land

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
G

GAMBIT35

Well, EA canned the Sims. Whether you liked it or not, it was a popular game played by 10's of thousands of players. Right up to the very announcement of the cancellation their dev's were promising improvements, adding new stuff to the game and putting in ATM'S so players can buy in game items...A WEEK BEFORE THEY SHUT IT DOWN. EA didn't care about those loyal players who spent years supporting that game. What makes you guys think you are safe? Because the dev's say so? Prediction: UO will become zombified or canned shortly after Warhammer launches.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
Thanks for sharing. I will take my chances.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
I am sorry to hear that Sims was shut down.

N

Nosuperiors_Damnfewequals

I wonder, why they didn't just zombify the Sims, and let it die a slow and natural death.
The game, servers, etc, were already there and working, run it until it no longer pays for the bandwidth to service it, or until the equipment died. hmmmm

It does make one think, especiallly those of us who are into UO and hoping for a long term future, even tho it may likely be a zombie, it would still be here in its present form. Now? even that doesn't look too certain :(

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008

If UO is shut down, it gets shut down and life goes on, until then, I'll enjoy my time playing, offer what assistance I can as a player and hope I can help make KR a client that will help UO NOT get shut down for at least a few more years.

By the same token, I see arguments for both sides of the equation based on their current spate of "We cannot talk about that", so I'm not going to offer any such tinfoil hattery in one direction or the other.

What happens to UO? We'll see.

D

Desolation87

Well, EA canned the Sims. Whether you liked it or not, it was a popular game played by 10's of thousands of players. Right up to the very announcement of the cancellation their dev's were promising improvements, adding new stuff to the game and putting in ATM'S so players can buy in game items...A WEEK BEFORE THEY SHUT IT DOWN. EA didn't care about those loyal players who spent years supporting that game. What makes you guys think you are safe? Because the dev's say so? Prediction: UO will become zombified or canned shortly after Warhammer launches.
Ahh poor baby... Did your little Sims game get shut down? Poor boo.

Well heres something to cheer you up. UO - ten years and still going!!! :p:p:p:p

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Britain Felucca West Crossroads
www.uoguide.com
Well, EA canned the Sims. Whether you liked it or not, it was a popular game played by 10's of thousands of players.
It used to be played by tens of thousands. That dropped considerably, below ten thousand. Rather than try and revitalize the game I think they would rather start fresh on a new SIMS MMO.

EA isn't interested in remaking anything Ultima related, so no reason to cancel and start again.

L

Lord Kynd

If UO is shut down, it gets shut down and life goes on, until then, I'll enjoy my time playing, offer what assistance I can as a player and hope I can help make KR a client that will help UO NOT get shut down for at least a few more years.

By the same token, I see arguments for both sides of the equation based on their current spate of "We cannot talk about that", so I'm not going to offer any such tinfoil hattery in one direction or the other.

What happens to UO? We'll see.
i wouldn't place bets on KR.
it's junk
no one but what 5 people use it ?
it looks and feels like a WoW clone, yuck, be original EA.
lose all your macro's if you try it once.
KR isn't even worth trying period.

L

Lord Kynd

and if UO is shut down, you relize the free shards will still live?

the best thing EA could do would be to lower the cost to play.

L

Lord Kynd

but about uo-land, if they could do all that with the sim's, why can't they implememnt some of that into uo.

K

Kiminality

it's junk
It's supposed to resemble the WoW-style of interface.
Why?
Because that's the modern standard.
1.) If people are accustomed to that style of UI, then you're going to alienate them by making them use a completely different one.
2.) The 2D client's interface is archaic, unintuitive, and generally bad. Sure, I'm used to it, but I'm also used to brewing tea in a pint glass, which is also bad :p

If you're going to knock UO, at least try an approach that isn't "I hated it, so it sucks"

O

oompaloompa

Why should they care about us players. Its a business, if they are not making money why continue to run the server. I play uo and enjoy it but i also realize that this is a total business. As such, they dont have to care about our feelings, thats just the way IRL businesses are worked:) If you dont make money you move on to something else.

Setanta

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 15, 2008
cowboyland
Once you get used to the wierd interface, KR isn't so bad except that you can't make a fishing macro, talking is a bit awkward and it keeps crashing at the worst possible times. I kind of like the toolbar targeting options. It's not near as laggy and clunky as 3D.

S

Scratch

it's junk
stanza style typing
is mine and mine alone
you be original

uo+ea=dasuxxors

P

prison bound

anyone have a link to, or knowledge of, the server hardware specs UO uses to run one shard? for example: what hardware does it take to run the whole atl shard?

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
Well, there are some differences.

UO has small live and content teams and the original development was paid back long long ago. As the producer recently said, it is likely showing a good ROI.

Sims, OTOH, had a reported 50 to 60 million development costs, second behind only WOW of recently made games, and was a huge loser right out of the gate. Subs remained relatively low and the chance of ever recouping the development cost seem negligable. Better to write it off and be done with it instead of it showing up as a loss on every quarterly and yearly report.

Yes, UO is just tiny chicken feed in the EA scheme of things, but I suspect it will get lumped in with Warhammer under Mythic in general. If Mythic screws up with Warhammer, then we might be done for.

Z

Zachery

If uo ever shuts down we will just move on to some other game that we will all get addicted to lol

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 20, 2008
Northern California
Yeah, read about it getting shut down. I told everyone a couple years ago that that TSO would be closed before they did UO no matter what. Now that that has happened, I think UO is next, but -when- that will be, who knows.

I however am going to cash in my chips and head out. I really do hope UO lasts for ten more years for those who are committed to it. With the rp communities neglected and dying.. that's just not me anymore. I'm keeping my main account to pop in on "free" events, but soon as my affairs are in order I'll be canceling my last account. Hang tough, y'all.

Assia Penryn/Alira Drakrul
Retired Stratics Admin and avid player of UO for over ten years.

AtlanticVlad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 14, 2008
Toledo Ohio
Hey as long as uo is running and not loseing money I dont think they will drop it. You forget its a claim to some extra fame keeping the oldest MMO still running still makeing money. Ya it may not be the money maker it once was but hell How many accounts do you all have? we may not have as many active players but we still got a ton of our money going to them. =) I don't know many WoW players with multiple accounts. I know alot of uo players with 3-8 some with 15 or more... and last i check the sims is back as EA land and im prity sure the players get there stuff back... Could be wrong I never played it but I was bored a bit ago and did some reading that was what I understood to be happening. If it goes it goes... I guess I'll probobly cry... actualy no doubt I've been palying ultimas more then half my life started with ultima 6 when i was 6 im 22 now... I just gota hope if UO goes a new Ultima pops up better and stronger then ever. And damn it if it does and its a MMO damn it Ill do things differntly from the start and be richey rich much earlyer on =)

Raina

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
It's supposed to resemble the WoW-style of interface.
Why?
Because that's the modern standard.
1.) If people are accustomed to that style of UI, then you're going to alienate them by making them use a completely different one.
2.) The 2D client's interface is archaic, unintuitive, and generally bad. Sure, I'm used to it, but I'm also used to brewing tea in a pint glass, which is also bad :p
1) Just because it's "the same" or even "similar" doesn't mean it's decent.

Everyone is afraid of innovation anymore, it's truly sad.

While the old client isn't great as far as it's interface goes, the one thing it does have that the KR client one doesn't is that it adds to the immersion of the game. It's also not perfect by a long shot, but it does have it's positives too.

~Rai

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Dragonskrypt Studios
I think with the older client I can use it quickly and effenctly. With KR I'm still WTF with it all. Although I am going to try it again.

I do believe that KR is the way forward though, it has so many more features and abilities than the 2d client. It also looks nice!

K

Kiminality

Everyone is afraid of innovation anymore, it's truly sad.
I wouldn't classify it as fear, per se.
Keeping within the parameters of a proven standard is a common practice.
Cars don't all have basically the same controls because the manufacturers are afraid to try something new.
Likewise, the majority of private boats will have basically the same controls.
Different type of vehicle, same standard.

As was proven, by the outcry that accompanied KR, if you force someone to adapt to something new, then they're more likely just to abandon it.
It's strange, to be using the "why KR fails" arguments to explain the reasons KR shouldn't fail, at least in terms of the bigger picture.
Mmm... Logical paradox... My favourite...