• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] The Devs Must Be Crazy

_zigzag_

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here I am after months away from the fabulous and frenzied friend cruise that is the Ultima Online Community.

No doubt by the time that you read this, you’ll be taking a look at a whopper of a publish. Yes it’s been a long time, but we did manage to deliver a lot of content.

This publish, and the number of patches, content, art updates, in addition to our work and announcement surrounding Stygian Abyss … it’s been quite a ride these last few months.

More...

H

Hawkind

Seems the devs have been able to pull off yet another epic fail. Glad to see they are bringing back EM's sometime soon though

N

NewThunder

I really hope they do not bring back the event moderators, what a huge waste of time. But the good news is the selected friends of the EM's will soon get new shinny rare items.

L

Loqucious

l would very much like to know what he means by this:

"I was talking to Draconi this morning about the size of the ship that is UO. We are not as nimble as we’d like to be sometimes… but eventually we’ll get UO back on the course that is reminiscent of "The Golden Days."

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, so they are giving details of the event moderators later. But what did they do in the past?

E

eccentricjules

I really hope they do not bring back the event moderators, what a huge waste of time. But the good news is the selected friends of the EM's will soon get new shinny rare items.
Why do people say that, it’s simply NOT so. I’ve even been accused of being an “EM Friend” because I get a lot of Event items. You know why? Effort. I spend HOURS searching for things, paying attention and following clues. I earn what I receive and it hurts me when people claim I get the items given to me. I don’t know the EM personally, I just think people should stop pointing fingers.

I had a real life friend who was always getting accused of speed hacking, but I could watch him play IN PERSON and say it wasn’t so… yeah I can’t move that fast either, but he could. If a player is really good at PVP they assume they are using a program. If a person spends a lot of time in Doom and gets a lot of arties they get accused of duping…. I’m not saying there aren’t bad people out there but just because someone else does something better than you doesn’t give you the right to accuse them of wrongdoing.

Find what you are good at and be proud of it!

LONG LIVE THE EM’S!!

K

kennykilleduo

Hopefully this guy is serious about making UO , UO again , it will go a long way and JUST may bring some old friends back..

EM's will be great as long as its not abused and time is allowed to make great events for all , in any time zone. 3 great events per year is way better than 8 crappy ones..

UOSA needs a disc , not a download.... :thumbup1:

Thank you

Now I just need a UO / WAR multi account discount.. :thumbup1:

PS : Your all way to quiet , the energy Draconi, Leurocian and you bring to UO is whats needed , well theres to wacky guys on the WAR side that could help also..

E

eccentricjules

Draconi and Leurocian have been concocting the grand scheme for several weeks now, and we’ll allow all those who meet specific criteria (will be publishing this info soon) access to the arcs and the opportunity to help direct the long-running narrative of Britannia.
This part really worries me. My account wasn't active last year because of family stuff IRL. I love events... if me missing the whole glass dagger thing prevents me from doing further event arc's I'm just going to shut the account down again. Thats the whole reason I reactivated. I have been the only owner of my acct and have played 68 months... I would hate to be excluded from events with no chance of redemption.

Now I just feel sad and worried that I won't meet their "specific criteria"!

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A step in the right direction.

Thank you Cal for posting that letter. Really think the community could use more heart to heart reassurance like that about UO's future. Many of us are really worried about UO, especially given the comment about EA wanting to have closed us down. Please make this a regular thing. I really think it will help make a difference in the community's attitude and reassure folks UO isn't about ready to go belly up.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you Cal for the updated information and sorry to hear about your wallet. Seattle is a great place to GM begging though *winks* Is that why we didn't see you in Chicago?

As long as compatibility issues with SA is addressed first and foremost I think it has great potential to be what you and the developers envisioned. If we can't run it, we can't see it, can't play it and get volatile. Give us the chance that KR did not and I think/hope you'll get the majority of the players support.

The dragon artworks is flippn amazing and I can't wait to see what else is stuck in that pipeline waiting to get out. A good marriage between 2D legacy stuff and the new pipeline should make for more accepted artwork. Oh and the legacy option will still be an option for long time vets who love their 2D graphics yes?

EM's coming back...thank you. We always thoroughly enjoy the more personal time spent on each shard to make events more lively and in the moment. You can tell when something is on auto pilot. This is great news. EM's were not a part of the whole Seer/Counselor fiasco from what I understand so bringing them back seems the right thing for us. Thank you!

One more big hug and thanks for allowing developers like Leurocian to interact more with the players DURING the process of adding more skills instead of after. It shows that you indeed want to make SA the success it is meant to be and we can be a part of the success.

Keep stuff like this up and we may actually start to believe you mean what you say, hehe.

Here's to a successful year for us all *clink*

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
/agreed

The stone cold silence is the worst thing you guys could do. Open up, communicate, Cal AND Jeremy, it's the feeling of neglect, of "so what", of "who cares" that makes most of us mad and turns us into trolls.

Even if the news isn't necessarily good news, at least news is news ;)
And it's communication...keeping us from feeling like mushrooms.
Because so far, for the majority of the last 6 months, that's what the playerbase has been, mushrooms kept in the dark, with the door opening a crack to throw a little **** on em on Fridays :lol:

Talk to us, feed us tidbits, tantalize us (with something besides soon), and we will be yours :)

X

Xel Naga

Will there actually be a developer present this time to approve or reject items requested to be created by EMs as prizes? The last thing we need is another fiasco with an EM thinking a sash with LRC10 mr2 and +5 int isn't overpowered. Only to be quickly reassured it was when they immediately got thrown up on ebay for $2k each and sold within an hour.

There definitely needs to be a dedicated moderator of what items are created this time around and what mods, if any they will be allowed to have. Preferably one with ample knowledge of the old server births, seer items, event items, and rares that need not be devalued by recycling more graphics, colors, and item names.

Please don't make it bad and get it canceled again, I have super high hopes for the EM program as it used to be the only fun thing in the game dupers had no control over ruining for me. Well, the actual event anyway. I'd even rather see all the rewards issued as no-drop, no-trade but please find a less ugly way to display it. Maybe simply a small inconspicuous tag that says [soulbound] or something. not big ugly two lines of text saying
NO-DROP
NO-TRADE

It really kills the appeal of the item lol.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They way they were handled before, EM's were nothing more than loose cannons that did alot of damage to this game.

Hopefully, in bringing them back, they are on very SHORT leashes.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They way they were handled before, EM's were nothing more than loose cannons that did alot of damage to this game.

Hopefully, in bringing them back, they are on very SHORT leashes.
The way it reads to me NuSair is the EMs will be working more with the story arc for SA instead of independently coming up with events and event "hand outs." I would expect a watchful eye and some hand holding to make sure SA rolls out right.

D

Devil_Woman

This part really worries me. My account wasn't active last year because of family stuff IRL. I love events... if me missing the whole glass dagger thing prevents me from doing further event arc's I'm just going to shut the account down again. Thats the whole reason I reactivated. I have been the only owner of my acct and have played 68 months... I would hate to be excluded from events with no chance of redemption.

I think the part you quoted is related to the hiring of new EMs and has nothing to do with participating in events as a player.

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The way it reads to me NuSair is the EMs will be working more with the story arc for SA instead of independently coming up with events and event "hand outs." I would expect a watchful eye and some hand holding to make sure SA rolls out right.
We definitely don't want to inhibit the individual creativity of each EM, but the new program will be centered around them working hand-in-hand with Design, unlike previous iterations.

There will be a balance between centralized story-arcs and individual contributions, and all things will be approved and vetted by the development team before implementation :)

S

Splup

I have noticed everytime DEV member writes on these boards, I like UO more. Gives a little same kinda feeling as back in the days when I had a problem and GM came up with his cool robe. Like when my character wasnt able to instalog anywhere, he came there, chatted a bit. Then I was hit by lightning and he said "You can log out now" And it was fixed! WHOAH!

Anyone else gets the same feeling?

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have noticed everytime DEV member writes on these boards, I like UO more. Gives a little same kinda feeling as back in the days when I had a problem and GM came up with his cool robe. Like when my character wasnt able to instalog anywhere, he came there, chatted a bit. Then I was hit by lightning and he said "You can log out now" And it was fixed! WHOAH!

Anyone else gets the same feeling?
Always. Then I hit a low when they get busy and we go for weeks with nary a wave or a tickle. This happened last publish roll out or was it Seattle town hall? *shrugs* I can't remember but it was hard to keep up with every post and then ......*sighs*

Enjoy the joy each day brings ya!

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We definitely don't want to inhibit the individual creativity of each EM, but the new program will be centered around them working hand-in-hand with Design, unlike previous iterations.

There will be a balance between centralized story-arcs and individual contributions, and all things will be approved and vetted by the development team before implementation :)
Individual creativity is a must for EMs, uber one of a kind items is not. Just a suggestion *smiles*

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why do people say that, it’s simply NOT so.
People say it because they watched the abuse happen for years. I certainly saw a player town I lived in long, long ago, get special attention and special favors from the staff. I don't know who knew whom, but I saw it going on. Just because you're innocent doesn't mean everyone else is.

Personally, I'd like to see EM staff and storytelling back again, but in a much more accountable and accessible way.

D

D'Amavir

People say it because they watched the abuse happen for years. I certainly saw a player town I lived in long, long ago, get special attention and special favors from the staff. I don't know who knew whom, but I saw it going on. Just because you're innocent doesn't mean everyone else is.

Personally, I'd like to see EM staff and storytelling back again, but in a much more accountable and accessible way.
Same here. Letting them direct plots and even add items is great. But those items should never be stat possessing items. And those items should work the same way that blessed buildings are. Or how they claim that faction items on Siege will work. Bound to the account that received them. This will prevent another ebay fiasco.

R

RavenWinterHawk

Id make a great EM...

Well...

Anyway.

This is great news. I have to laugh at all the doom sayers.
We should make a count of everyone that says UO is dieing, dead, or limping.

Do I want to thank the DEVS... nah. Do I want to say good work... no.

It is a glorious day to die.

Who said that?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
:cheerleader: Oh oh pick me pick me!!!!!!! *laughs*

Great to hear from you Cal. I was UNBELIEVABLY upset when I had to miss the Chicago TownHall but am extremely excited about the future of UO.

When Origin had it's EM-Moderated event, it was fun, everyone was able to participate, the rewards were PERFECT (Knight of the Luna Guard Surcoat and re-hued, re-named Doom arties) Nothing overpowered and very nice collectors items. I'm proud to have been a receiver of a surcoat and will remember that event fondly.

I think that now, EM events coupled with SA will be very exciting and a chance to work closely with the Dev team should prove fruitful and even fun!

I do agree with those who said they get a warm fuzzy feeling whenever a Dev posts...(*nudges Tim and Patrick*) Wilki, CatHat,Tim, Patrick.....I think I can say for most of us, when you guys post/posted it brought a spark of life to our inner UO children, to actually SEE that you cared about US and our opinions and feelings. We know you've been busy, but please, don't be strangers :)

I

Infiniti

Thanks Cal for an absolutely awesome letter. Communication is a must for us UO peeps...otherwise we get to feeling ignored/abandoned. Sorry to hear about you losing your wallet in Seattle :(. I sure hope the communication is kept up. :cheerleader:

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

There's no reason simply being inactive for a while would impair your application. We care most about creativity and passion for UO, as well as a good work ethic :)

A

AustinRules

The EM on Napa gave us quite a bit of fun. Don't know about these naysayers who don't want EMs but in life you find there are plenty of negative people willing to kill the fun for others. I say just ignor them and push ahead with your plans, they can either join in or stand on the sidelines whining.

I moved on when they dropped the EMs and 3D and gave us KR. Didn't like KR or 2D...and with no events UO seemed boring. The best thing about EMs were they are the only thing which brought the shard together to fight a common enemy. Defending our lands was a great way to get to know your neighbors.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So ... what exactly are the responsibilities and expectations of an EM? What sort of time commitment is anticipated? How much coding knowledge/experience is required? How much experience in running player-based events would be expected?

*cautious curiousity*

E

eccentricjules

There's no reason simply being inactive for a while would impair your application. We care most about creativity and passion for UO, as well as a good work ethic :)
It's becoming clear to me now that you are talking about a JOB. I was worried thinking you meant that only people with special criteria could PARTICIPATE in the events. I was told from friends that I missed "picking a side" and I couldn't do so any longer. That's what I was worried about.

As for real life work ethic I've got that down at least. I'll have to see what you guys have going on... I have had the same job (working with databases) almost 8 years (I'm 28 years old so that’s a long time really)!

Regardless, thank you for making it clearer I can rest easier now. Well except when we have events going on… like right now… I dream about them almost every night. I have to keep a notepad by the bed so when I wake up I can write stuff down…. It ends up as scribble when I wake up “check orc fort, check lighthouse, check…..”

IIF Events > sleep =P

S

Static

What is that sound?

O its the Gloomers and doomers running..... O thats right..... Stick around peeps, game is only going to get better!:gun:

C

Cal_Mythic

Mesanna will be in touch in the next few days regarding roles, responsibilities, and expectations. This was just a teaser, to let you know we have approval.

As far as scripting expectations, none ... previous EM and event experience would be preferred, but mostly we're looking for folks who love the game, and who can spin a tale that engages others.

There is a list of former EMs, however we are not limiting the applications only to former EMs/counselors/seers.

As I said, Mesanna has a template for application, that you should see in the very near future. Thanks for the posts and interest and keep them coming!!

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why do people say that, it’s simply NOT so.

Player run towns SHOULD get special attention and favors form the staff. Lets be clear. They got some bushes, hitching posts, maybe a stage..etc etc. Some blessed houses which came with restrictions. But its for the sake of keeping the town and growing the community around it.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yes, please no more uber sashes/belts/shoes...ect handed out at random.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remember where your loyalities lay, the Sith are none to forgiving.

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Without wanting to jump the gun on Messana's post, are EMs shard specific? Or do they have to help out on different shards as needed?

R

RavenWinterHawk

Id make a great EM...

Well...

Anyway.

This is great news. I have to laugh at all the doom sayers.
We should make a count of everyone that says UO is dieing, dead, or limping.

Do I want to thank the DEVS... nah. Do I want to say good work... no.

It is a glorious day to die.

Who said that?

Wharf said it.

And I hope UO returns with glory in death. Like the old days of consequence and adventure.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Three cheers.

Past few months have been nothing short of a UO renaissance.

Mesanna

UO Producer | Dark OverLady
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings Everyone!

Just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that we are working on getting the application page set up. I look forward to hearing from all that are interested.

Mesanna

S

Sarphus

l would very much like to know what he means by this:

"I was talking to Draconi this morning about the size of the ship that is UO. We are not as nimble as we’d like to be sometimes… but eventually we’ll get UO back on the course that is reminiscent of "The Golden Days."

What he's saying is that UO is like a big ship... You can't just turn a big ship around... if you could, you wouldn't want to, because it would capsize.

UO, like a large ship, needs to turn around slowly.

He's also saying that it has taken a long time to fix a lot of the problems with UO, but they are making progress and we are getting closer to a game that resembles the "good ol days". It won't be the same, because we have all the content that was added since then... It's just that the content will be fixed and balanced.

I don't think he's making any claims that UO's ruleset will change to be fel ruleset everywhere... I think he's just saying that a lot of the pain points of players are being and will be addressed.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remember where your loyalities lay, the Sith are none to forgiving.

FORGERY!!! Draconi would never align himself with the forces of evil.
Oh wait. Technically he works for EA right? If so, forget what I just said.

On a serious note, after reading that letter, I have to say, I feel much better about the future of UO.

And yes, I get warm fuzzies too whenever I see a Dev post on the boards.