• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Publish 73 Comes to Test Center

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, no anti-sampire bull****? And what's this about tainted mana or whatever?

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wind elemental is what would happen if an air elemental grew up and joined a death metal band.

K

Kayne

Wind elemental is what would happen if an air elemental grew up and joined a death metal band.
:lol: Fantastic response Logrus. Thanks for a good laugh. Nothing wrong with a bit of heavy metal or even some death metal :)

K

Kayne

Viquire I do wish you would stop. I keep laughing like a loony at your posts today (kidding dont stop its nice to see some good humour in uhall)

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If one canst not blind them with ones brilliance... say touche and let loose the vorpal wit!

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, let me get this straight, you mean: bringing back the effectiveness of Luck, re-invigorating old dungeons and old monsters, and on top of that, bringing a limitless new mechanic that allows endless possibilities to itemization while not being a permanent addition (most are cursed/non POF) is a horrendous addition to the game.
No, I mean what I wrote.

And what the historical record is from when the main idea was tried previously;

From Ultima Online's Wikipedia;

Criticism

The months following the release of Age of Shadows saw a significant exodus of veteran players from Ultima Online. Many players insisted that the new brightly-colored items detracted from the game's atmosphere strongly. A further, more serious criticism, was that the new item system broke Ultima Online's long-standing tradition of being skill-based in favor of an item-based system. This was exacerbated by the fact that the expansion's release roughly coincided in time with an increase in the subscription fee.
Since then, even those MMOs which have gone down the itemization route have still created a roster of fixed specification items, with complete loot tables which promise a guaranteed shot at getting them. And they've done so with a very definite reason, and to considerable success.

Now would you like to try addressing what actually is, in the world of game design, and what I actually said... instead of repeating your own opinions back at yourself, and attempting to put your own words in my mouth?

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Has anyone found new loot with Swing Speed Increase on armor pieces and jewelry (not weapons) on TC?

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice I see the chests in the dungeons have similar loot. Will this system be considered for tmap loot?

T

tiggertessa2007

im just wondering when can we expect this publish to go live? because honestly i love it! i cant wait to get out on my home shard and be excited about killing things again, the treasured of tok event is the only other time i remember being this excited about hunting aside from when i first started of course.

iamSnippa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Originally Posted by RaDian FlGith View Post
As someone whose primary residence has been in Felucca for fourteen years...

No, there aren't.
Thank you. I was getting tired hearing this BS about all these magical invisible Fel players that TOTALLY EXIST DUDE, REALLY.
Honestly, RaDian has been one of these magical invisible Fel players... I live in his neighborhood and haven't seen him in years (though, i did take a 6 year break from the game and did see he put up a castle during that time in the area).
I actually stopped seeing him a few years before I stopped playing the game... and many travelers had come through that area before I quit pvping up a storm.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure I should say this or not, but while I think the cave trolls are a cool concept (some parts of Shame can't be crossed unless you kill the cave troll), there isn't any way to know you have to kill the trolls except intuition...not a terrible thing, but you should be able to dbl click on the temporary floor block for advice. Also, the thing I really don't know if I should say or not, well, the trolls are pretty easy to kill and drop really awesome loot. I mean I got a greater artifact off one w/ 140 luck. Cursed, etc, mind you, just saying, I have a harder time killing stone elementals than cave trolls. Also, can a quick quest be written up for the trolls? Maybe a Kill 10 or something?

Even if they look terrible as "trolls" I think they should still resemble the troll. Ogre-look is silly IMO (not to mention troll art can have a weapon, which fits with the armor ignore special).

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Bug Fixes

Bladeweave will no longer function on non bleedable creatures
  • Removed Double strike from the list of bladeweave attack options
Now, I understand why Bladeweave shouldn't make creatures immune to bleeding bleed, but it was neat making it happen. It's magic, dangit!

But WHY is Double Strike being removed from it's list of possibilities? Is it broken to where it doesn't work?

If ANYTHING, FEINT should be removed from the list of bladeweave abilities, as it does nothing without the SE skills linked to it.

As it is, the BUSHIDO ELVES ONLINE train keeps chugging along, as everything that makes playing a non-Bushido PvM character and/or human keeps getting nerfed.

And, is there some reason why an intended feature of the Salvage Bag (the extra ingot per item) was nerfed as a BUG last publish? We never got an answer. You ought to at least consider giving the salvage bag a bonus to the mining skill check when Salvaging metal items, to compensate (since Salvaging smithed items 0.66% times mining skill, one has to have +3 or +5 gloves on to get to 2/3 ingot return, without the bag's bonus, as 101.1 is needed).

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly, RaDian has been one of these magical invisible Fel players... I live in his neighborhood and haven't seen him in years (though, i did take a 6 year break from the game and did see he put up a castle during that time in the area).
I actually stopped seeing him a few years before I stopped playing the game... and many travelers had come through that area before I quit pvping up a storm.
That's the problem with Felucca. It's the UO syndrome exacerbated to the nth degree. First of all, UO's activity is based largely on the time of day that you play. When you're in Felucca, that's even worse.

I can tell you this with certainty though: I'm one of the players who (prior to the account fiasco in August) takes advantage of the advanced bonus of farming resources in Felucca. I can mine and lumberjack throughout the entire Dracona area, on to Cove and Minoc and Yew and Britain... which is a HUGE area, and on any given day of the week, I'm lucky if I see anyone other than a macroer sitting inside of a castle or keep.

There was one other person actively in my neighborhood something like two years ago. Very nice guy from DC* who invited me to his guild. I got **** like it forever from the RP folk.

The fact is, whether or not anyone sees me regularly (and yes, I'll concede, this is pre-August, but there isn't anyone who is going to convince me subscription numbers have gone up or that activity has gone up in Fel more than an iota in three months), I do play through Felucca from time to time. It's peacefully quiet.

Sure, there are folks that do spawns in Fel. Most people would be surprised to know that the "big spawns" consist of a handful of people and maybe another handful attacking back and trying to take it.

Yes, faction warfare still occurs. I'm certain of that.

And yet you can walk through downtown Britain at most hours of any day of the week and not see a single sign of it.

I am in no way suggesting that there is NO activity in Felucca. But there is certainly no level of activity in Felucca that supports much by the way of anything remotely close to what it used to be.

And, Snippa... I have several accounts. Just because you don't see Ra'Dian Fl'Gith doesn't mean I'm not there. :p However, I'm definitely not there now.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ok so here goes and I'll try to post these so you can see them but I decided to check the new color dyes thought I'd give you all a look:

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, the brown is my favorite. There's something I never thought I would hear myself say.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Here we go... leather armor set in the four colors (in EC):

Edit: I'm pretty certain after seeing them ingame they are in order of preference (favorite on left to least favorite on right)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ok ...... is it just me or is that "blue" more of a Teal???

And the purple.... yikes.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The black sub-hue helps the green and blue IMO. I think the problem is that they already used what is probably the best purple in the original ToT dyes (the dark royal purple one) because later versions have been too bright for my tastes including this one.

W

Woodsman

Only one thing a man in purple leather armor should ride.

A purple llama.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

The black sub-hue helps the green and blue IMO. I think the problem is that they already used what is probably the best purple in the original ToT dyes (the dark royal purple one) because later versions have been too bright for my tastes including this one.
I agree I did like the very dark royal purple MUCH better.... and I'm thinking that with this hue system that purple would have been MUCH better with a bit of black overtone.... And a more deep Emerald Green would have been better this one seems kind of Olive green to me....

iamSnippa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And, Snippa... I have several accounts. Just because you don't see Ra'Dian Fl'Gith doesn't mean I'm not there. :p However, I'm definitely not there now.
Oh I know... I know... I spotted several of your other houses across GL on my trek across the world to see where there might be open housing spots.
And yeah, I do really only know a few of your characters.
On a related note... I think I may have to begin patrolling the neighborhood again in the near future, only more thoroughly this time lol :p
...assuming you're sticking around.

J

Jhym

Don't know why I'm bothering to post when it gets this reply-heavy, but oh well.

I'm mildly curious why if you're going to include one or two minor 'negative' attributes like luck, why not add it to others as well?

I have a pre-aos cursed bonnet (-10,-10,-10), for instance. Mostly kept for amusement of myself, but that's the sort of negative vs positive I would expect in this system.

If properties can be minused on base loot, that allows some interesting combinations that could be adjusted slightly without being too powerful. For instance, a good tradeoff for a really good wizardry ring might be -20% physical resist or -15 resist magic. Perhaps a fighting bandana (high HCI/DCI/DI) with -15 tactics or all -5% resists.

I do like the ideas though, I just prefer a wider range of negative vs positives. I would suggest that the durability needs to bump up for any non-pof/non-repair items, probably to 125 or so. This would make them useful for a while but not so overpowering as fully repairable would be. At less than 50 almost all items would be curiosities or used for 10 minutes at a time.

For the crystal concept... it's ok, but it might be useful to have the crystals also be able to affect the standard spawn too. Like increasing the rates, or affecting overall power of creatures for a period of time.

I do definitely like the idea of item combinations to make products coming back, I always like mysterious groups of items that you assemble into something new. But if you're going to do it, add a goodly number of them, not just one set that makes one item. And it would be much better to make an in-game book or scroll that describes the items required, similar to a recipe book, but that doesn't have what the result is (other than a name.) That way, new and old players would have a goal to gather items without having to know EVERYTHING upon publish.

But that's just my liking a few interesting mysteries to solve, I suppose.

:popcorn:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice I see the chests in the dungeons have similar loot. Will this system be considered for tmap loot?

What do you mean similar loot ?

The new system designs a mini-boss to spawn in the end for best loot.

How is that achieved with the dungeon chests ?
Looting the same chest over and over eventually spawns up to the best loot like the mini-Boss does ?

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with Jyhm, there should be some more negative properties. To me, only Brittle seems any great problem. Some -skills or -[normal property] would be much more interesting.

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to make a suggestion:

For items that are Brittle, and Unrepairable - increase their durability to a minimum of 75.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most armor parts already penalized - base resists (15 total), no possibility to imbue (already 6-9 mods), no mage armor mod and 90+% risk breaking on enhance.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'd like to make a suggestion:

For items that are Brittle, and Unrepairable - increase their durability to a minimum of 75.
I think 100 is more reasonable, but at least 75 would put them on par with the Mana Phasing Orbs. Those wear down real fast for a dexxer, but work well for a ranged character (mage or archer/thrower).

K

Kayne

Ok so here goes and I'll try to post these so you can see them but I decided to check the new color dyes thought I'd give you all a look:
Those last three look great on that shield. Really makes the sign in the middle stand out and look good.

Green definitely looks the best on the leather armour. Brown probably the close second

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Advanced warning on Europa that 2.0 will be perma paTrolling the dungeon in fel.

Kind Regards, Mervyn, dictator.

Wizal the Fox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mystic prefix is already used for weapons able to kill Berserkers (along with Vanquishing and Power) that were dropping during the Ophidian and Magincia invastion. Perhaps you should use another prefix for the new items involving Intelligence/Mana.

Z

Zyon Rockler

I still have alot of testing to do to get a better understanding but I would suggest locking in Mage Armour with anything that has the word Mage on it or Wizard.

Also, I think they should change the durability system. Anything that can be repaired should have 2 numbers with a slash, like 50/50 but anything that can not be repaired should have 1 number, possibly the items could wear differently as well for anything with a single number that could not be repaired could lose durability faster in PvP.

So, you could pick up a piece that had 500 durability. This would show that it could not be repaired and when used to hit another player, could triple in durability loss making items more valueable in PvM because it would be like a durability increase causing players to be more cautious of the use of gear for PvP.

Shiznit Bo'Bourbon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
What do you mean similar loot ?

The new system designs a mini-boss to spawn in the end for best loot.

How is that achieved with the dungeon chests ?
Looting the same chest over and over eventually spawns up to the best loot like the mini-Boss does ?
I am constantly amazed at the ability of Popps to aggressively misunderstand everything he reads and jump to ludicrous conclusions. Everyone does it now and then, but he's just so damn consistent about it.

Seriously though Logrus, change the name on those "a cave troll The Wall Guardian" things. It just looks silly and really freeshardy and unprofessional. It's just a text string, take the five minutes. Just slap the random name generator used for orcs on there, so it becomes "Zargut The Wall Guardian" and "Bumhug The Wall Guardian" or whatever.

Plus it seems weird and inconsistent that "a cave troll" is utterly different in appearance and strength from any old "a troll" you might find in a cave. Little details are what sell any illusion.

G

Green Mouser

Worthy of what????? It's platemail and not MAGE ARMOR.... usless... and with 25 durability yet another shinny token for a shelf nothing more.
Everyone plays a mage?

With that level of regens and the ability to enhance not to mention being able to remove curse and brittle.

Look for possibilities and using game mechanics to improve. Dont wait for perfection to fall in your lap.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1 mod still missing: Indestructable :p

Since we have all kind of negative mods, we should also have this one... having "cannot be repaired" and not "indestructable" is not polically correct :p

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Everyone plays a mage?

With that level of regens and the ability to enhance not to mention being able to remove curse and brittle.

Look for possibilities and using game mechanics to improve. Dont wait for perfection to fall in your lap.
Mage property or not.... Honestly think that item is imbuable!?!?! That's laughable... first rule of imbuing no more than 5 mods.... I'm thinking that what's on there counts as WAY more than 5 mods.... also thinking that item would be valued FAR too high anyway to add anything at all.

And from what was said in the other post about removing of the curse and brittle that wasn't part of the publish.....

G

Green Mouser

Mage property or not.... Honestly think that item is imbuable!?!?! That's laughable... first rule of imbuing no more than 5 mods.... I'm thinking that what's on there counts as WAY more than 5 mods.... also thinking that item would be valued FAR too high anyway to add anything at all.

And from what was said in the other post about removing of the curse and brittle that wasn't part of the publish.....
Hmmm did you read Imbuing in my post? I mentioned Enhancing and a reference to the possiblilty to remove brittle/cursed/non repair (supposedly from trade in points).

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hmmm did you read Imbuing in my post? I mentioned Enhancing and a reference to the possiblilty to remove brittle/cursed/non repair (supposedly from trade in points).
Which I believe was said wasn't coming... least wise not with this round.... and it don't matter what you enhance it with it WON'T make it Medable or in any way shape or form useable...

IF you are a fighter and you plan to actually do anything with it the thing will be broke in under an hour...

If you were a mage it Might last longer but it won't allow you to med....

So again..... I say Useless... nice shelf litter that's about it.