• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Publish 73 Comes to Test Center

Salivern_Diago

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps, Mesanna has already stated in this thread that there is a difference between Tram and Fel.

flappy6

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I noticed no shields that i saw while testing nor weapons came with spell channelling, did anybody else find any?

i found shields but no spell channel,even weapons with mage weapon -15 didnt have spell channel

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Thanks for the response, Phoenix. Makes me feel a little better.

Although the low durability + brittle is still an issue that will keep me from using much of the stuff. Anyone using a melee character will agree with that I'm sure.
This is so true. I don't like to use Mana Phasing Orbs with 75/75 durability with my sampire because they wear down so quick. I can destroy one in a few days.

These days we all custom build our suits so we have all 70s and the other mods we need. I echo the concern that you won't even use a Legendary Artifact with 25/25 durability. There is no point to integrate it into your suit. Not only will it break fast, but the chance of you getting another identical one is next to impossible. That was a key benefit of existing arties. They had 255/255 durability and there was consistency in knowing the resists and mods.

I like this system, but I will likely look for rings and bracelets with one or two maxxed mods (like MR 3) and then take the piece to imbue.

For the suit pieces to have any chance of use, the durability needs to go to 100 minimum.

Question -- can you enhance with dull copper to double the durability of the drop?

-OBSIDIAN-

K

Kayne

Well, here are some legendary artifacts.

Club:
http://i44.***********/2mglh0x.jpg

I was really excited for this until I realized all the legendary artifacts are probably going to be cursed and brittle with 25 durability. Useless for PVP and too expensive to use in PVM.
Jeez look at that life leech - if this curse removal thing eliminates some of the bad properties imagine how useful this could be

K

Kayne

I think people need to take a step back from all this "its only 25 durability" rubbish. You've already seen there might be/are ways to remove brittle/no repair to avoid the pitfalls of these new items.

Lets see how this develops and IF we do get to that stage these items are still useless then come back and complain then. I will be amongst those making complaints if that becomes the case. But this is only the first stage of this and Phoenix has already said there will be tweaks to resists on items as they don't seem to be spawning correctly

P

pgib

so the new monsters are anti sampire?
I don't think they are, i didn't try with a sampire 'cause i don't have one but i didn't see signs of reverse life leeching (in fourth level there is at least one mana drainer mob, maybe a one of the mage).

I'm not sure about the diseased blood elemental though, i have had no time to try it yesterday.

Most of the mobs have very high resistances so armor ignore is the adventurer's best friend down there.

K

Kayne

Has anyone noticed on earth elementals if you cast an energy based spell (lightening or energy bolt are the two i used) they give an odd little particle effect that I dont recall being there before

Just checked on Europa and sure enough no particle effects

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has anyone noticed on earth elementals if you cast an energy based spell (lightening or energy bolt are the two i used) they give an odd little particle effect that I dont recall being there before

Just checked on Europa and sure enough no particle effects

Was seeing that myself when my hit lightning on my weapon would hit the earth ele as well on test.

K

Kayne

Havent noticed it caused by any other damage type. Hopefully a dev will pop in and answer that one

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some of the creatures have new abilities, including the earth elementals. Though in the case of the earth elementals and other weaker mobs, the effect of those abilities may not be very obvious.
In the case of these earth elementals they may benefit from being "grounded" when taking energy damage. :)

-- The Cave Trolls are using Ogre body types because re-hued trolls look really really really really really ugly. The ogre body type takes the hue a lot better.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was thinking it was because the Cave Troll in LotR resembles a UO Ogre more than it does a Troll.

A Thought Elemental

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I think the item changes are interesting. The combining of the power word sorts of names on weapons (a very 'classic' sort of thing, btw) with the specific number type traits/intensities/etc reminds me of what this dude named Warwick did for my server way back when, except, the stuff on TC1 goes about 2 times deeper with the whole concept.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Morning UOers! :)

Having just logged on test for a couple of hours last night I thought I would give some air to my thoughts with a night to sleep on them. Many have already reported on their findings in the new randomized loot section, and I won't nay say the excitement. I haven't checked yet for threads in the "in test" forum and I may reorganize and repost more specifically where it is appropriate there.

My initial impression on simply "seeing" pictures of loot possibilities in this thread may lead me to conclude the new system is a bit Monte Hall, (Yes, I'm that old.) but what I can tell you if this is indeed a portion of what is to come for a new player experience is more hopeful. I did not quite have the intestinal fortitude to don only an apron, but I did create a legendary, not exactly newb, thrower and only purchased gear available through the smiths in the Royal City in Ter Mur. I only ran the bushido skill for both healing and damage adjustment, and the mobs were no easy kill. In fact in order to make real progress I had to invoke honor on second level critters. I never made it any further, and the first level was a chaotic scramble to stay targeted on any one critter so I could bring it down while evading a horde of other spawn.

It has been noted already that resistances and slayers are scarce in the table drops, but I will go further. With no idea how great the difficulty of "tweaking" this system would be towards the purpose of helping adventurers advance towards more difficult areas and greater challenges I would propose that in "higher", or less difficult, areas the table be tweaked for gear that will assist in survival. Not that HP regen of four is not a good survival tool but, if crawling, I would want to see some greater resistances and luck on armor before moving on, and/or something in a weapon that would lead me to believe I had a chance of dishing out quite a bit more damage. Toward that end, would it be possible to have slayers specific to the dungeon favored? Just a slight bump. I know, i know that's a bit picky...and yet.

Not having played with the whole of level 2 and beyond it would be difficult for me to comment on building the content towards something that is rewarding for the veteran, but I have also seen some things that are hopeful. Spoilers regarding making some of these pieces items that we would want to keep and incorporate into our existing builds would be a great step in that direction. Having viewed the Clean Up Britannia menu and noting some new high end content, and the removal of some old high end content, inspires me to believe that we may actually be on the cusp of something really wonderful and requested, but we may also be in danger of repeating some past mistakes with regard to abandoning what has come before. Notably, the existence of an item that allows, at the cost of time and effort, a way for us to craft and imbue that "just right" weapon is a big first step in the right direction, but it is only a first step. The presence of very very expensive and unique hues says to me someone is thinking about how to entice a player to invest enough time in the loot system to obtain items they want to declare uniquely their own, which means they will last long enough to be worth the cost of customizing them. The fact that these hues are very limited in their range of color, and do NOT include any of the invasion armor colors which were greeted with such enthusiasm, nor the "gifted" apology (14th ani?) hues is an oversight that baffles and frustrates me beyond my ability to express. Maybe I just touted thongs in the same breath once too often.:wall:

Okay so my point, if the devs care to hear it. We have a plethora of different loot systems available in game. Don't choose this moment to leave them in the dust, find a way to make them relevant. The ability to modify crafted weapons smack to me of a lead-in towards the ability to have tools that might allow a virtue suit to attain mods at the cost of losing the "blessed" status for the pieces, but then reapplying it if you choose through the CUB system, or making modification to minor artifacts, or even major artifacts or suit sets, or maybe even being able to tie items we choose, together as a set, at a price.:love:

A crimmy is a darn difficult item to go out and gather for yourself, it should not be the sole reason to adventure into ML dungeons. High Seas loot has very little loot to offer gargoyles and nothing at all specific to them. This is a race that could use some love. Most especially where the luck property is concerned. The potential is very high in this new loot system to attract interest from new and returning players. How will you keep it?

You (the devs) can't. Noted in another thread is the fact that community is what keeps us around. I'm not stipulating everything high end should need to be "grouped". On the other hand I see a desperate need to foster alliances and partnerships that are mutually beneficial.

I have some other thoughts about keeping and expanding the Ultima in UO, but until I see more with regard to the how and why of sending new players into these reworked dungeons I'll just propose that having quests from the city antithesis to any of these dungeons and having the virtue and anti virtue involved somehow would be a very welcome happenstance. And I would hope for opportunity specific to newer players that draws them in and leads them to more quests aimed at players that have had a chance to participate for a good long while.

A Britannian spring? Maybe, but we shall see if the promise of freedom for all becomes the reality that keeps us hopeful, or if we become distracted, again, and fail to integrate for the long haul.

Good work! Don't mistake my meaning.:hug: But keep me interested and continue to look for opportunities to make what is already in game better as opposed to trashing the old for something shiny today.:lick:

R

RavenWinterHawk

Devs... I wouldn't change much. Low use... breaking is good. We need to be broken of the mentality that we need all the good @#!% to last forever.

If you don't like the loot. Don't use it.

Loot tables and randomization are 100% better the AOS and yet the AOS idea is flowing through the change. The variety is beyond belief. Beyond even understanding everything that is out there.

That is how dungeon hacking should be. Unknown. Something you can not expect.

Nothing should last forever. And in this case I mean 255 durability with repair out the buttocks.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can any uo dev guys answer something about luck? or what maybe the equation luck plays into all this? I'm considering some luck suit options for this, but don't know if its worth it if you only squeeze 300 luck, 1000 luck, max luck, etc.

Any help on that end would be appreciated.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Devs... I wouldn't change much. Low use... breaking is good. We need to be broken of the mentality that we need all the good @#!% to last forever.

Loot tables and randomization are 100% better the AOS and yet the AOS idea is flowing through the change. The variety is beyond belief. Beyond even understanding everything that is out there.

Nothing should last forever. And in this case I mean 255 durability with repair out the buttocks.
exactly, i think those cursed/cannot be repaired/ etc things are fine. Maybe bump up the durability a hair, but just a little nothing exciting.

I was in Test center shame almost all evening and anything more could lead to seriously overpowered stuff. I also dare say, that Regens should be tweaked.

Really don't like the fact i grabbed a dagger with 9 hit point regen on it lol.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nope, we tried it last night. Only off of a base exceptionally made unimbued weapon
While I don't like it, it is probably for the best.

Just like with imbuing, looking back at it, they should have left it where you could only get the max abilities with things like the Stygian Dragon's head and whatnot... I think that would have been better.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I agree with this for the most part- looking at how things are dropping, especially in fel, I wonder if it should be turned down.

A Thought Elemental

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
they wanna please the brokers (the people who have more accounts than us all combined)
I hope that is not the case, especially since the question of "buddy tokens" is at the moment resolved. Having an account is not necessarily the same as being a paying customer ...

Oh and yes Gheed, it seems like the new prefix suffix system is another Blizzard blatant copy that raises my level of general nausea...
Heck no, this stuff way predates WoW.

And, something else. In the event that WoW did actually do something "first" , it doesn't mean that anyone else doing something similar is nothing more than a shameful copy. Some things are simply correct to do. There's no copyright claim to "right".

There's a good pile of stuff in WoW which UO should have, and should have been given to it a long time ago. Some of those things are certain to exist from the start for SWToR and GW2. Some of them are slowly making their way into UO but it's hard to watch sometimes, seeing how late the things are showing up.

Dueling for example should have happened in 1998. I don't say that to diminish the present effort - - to the contrary. It's good that UO is finally getting this. It's good that someone had the willingness to push forward with it. Sucks tho if someone thinks UO is copying WoW with such a thing because it's not, it's just doing what's correct.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just saw this in the cliloc notes:

Item Curse Removal
These services cost Clean Up Britannia points. I can remove the following curses from this item at these prices:
These services cost Clean Up Britannia points. You cannot afford to remove any of these curses from this item at these prices:
You must remove "Cannot Be Repaired" before you can remove "Brittle".

HORRIBLE IDEA. Please do not implement this!

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also one last post - lol

the -100 luck that is on most items counts as an imbuing mod. Can this be removed as a mod?

I believe it lowers the intensity by 100, and takes up a mod space. Probably shouldnt count for either.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just saw this in the cliloc notes:

Item Curse Removal
These services cost Clean Up Britannia points. I can remove the following curses from this item at these prices:
These services cost Clean Up Britannia points. You cannot afford to remove any of these curses from this item at these prices:
You must remove "Cannot Be Repaired" before you can remove "Brittle".

I disagree, I think it is a wonderful gold sink, as long as it cost a lot.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not a "horrible" idea. It's an idea that needs to be prevented from being abused. I'm still playing for long term content. The fact that this system gives me another stream through which to pan for gold is very welcomed.

KingHen

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again, I am very happy with the progress and the communication we are getting. I agree maybe a 50 durability on those item (no more) would make them a little more useful, but I digress.

I am impressed with the forward thinking and the honesty (Grimm) of just being at their manpower limit right now. Communication is everything.

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Love the work guys and girls, keep it up..
As for new effects on mobs, i noticed a ev mob would blow up real big at times when hit.
This was on lvl 5 of Shame...Man them wizards are a pain.

The eternal gasers are a blast..takes a few people to kill them..
I find nothing over powering ..its just perfect.

Anyone know how many crystals is needed to spawn the boss?

Heres a sample of a item i found.

Arcane Braceler
Intel bonus 7
Stam Incr 3
Mana regen 3
Enh Pot 20%
LRC 20%
Dam Incr 30%

Greather Artifact..
And there are no penalty to it..not cursed, brittle ..zip..

Its something you be happy to bless ..
I have more items locked down at my place in new Mag tram first floor has the reward stuff.

Its lot SW5

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While the changes of the dungeon Shame seem quite interesting, I cannot help but wonder: Why do the game designers still continue to make the item properties more complicated? I left UO 6 months ago, and already I don't understand item properties anymore.

I don't think it is wise to continue making UO item-centered.

K

Kayne

Some of the creatures have new abilities, including the earth elementals. Though in the case of the earth elementals and other weaker mobs, the effect of those abilities may not be very obvious.
In the case of these earth elementals they may benefit from being "grounded" when taking energy damage. :)

-- The Cave Trolls are using Ogre body types because re-hued trolls look really really really really really ugly. The ogre body type takes the hue a lot better.
Thanks for the reply Logrus. Nice to know why the ogre decision was taken and though I understand the reasoning I still wish there was all new art for these new mobs.

I wonder how we would ground an earthy (which by its nature would naturally be grounded) for the energy based spells

I was thinking it was because the Cave Troll in LotR resembles a UO Ogre more than it does a Troll.
I always think of ogres when I see the cave troll in LotR and likewise with the ogres in game

Probably my main concern about these changes is that personally I think considering the dungeon is geared toward someone just moving on from despise the new shame is a little difficult for that level of player. I took my well trained/imbued gear mage over to TC and it was a challenge I would expect to face on that char not on one that would be journeyman/adept kind of range

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While the changes of the dungeon Shame seem quite interesting, I cannot help but wonder: Why do the game designers still continue to make the item properties more complicated? I left UO 6 months ago, and already I don't understand item properties anymore.

I don't think it is wise to continue making UO item-centered.
Because since UO is not a level based game, there has to be growth somewhere. It's either that or expansive growth of the skill cap, which is limited. Linear growth is not growth.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The creatures on L1/L2 are more for up and coming players. The skills and damage out put being similar in range to what players would move on to after honing their skills in the wild. So running around at skills in the high 50 to low 70s on level 1 should provide a good skill gain with a spice of danger. (No casting mobs on L1. For those more daring or interested in a much faster opportunity for skill gain, they can venture past the wall into the higher intensity spawn enclosure.

On Level 2 players will encounter the first casting mobs, though not in a significant number, and again the skill levels will hover between the low 70's to low 90's.
Level 3 is where the monsters become slightly challenging, casters , slightly more powerful special abilities, and a bit more damage. Level 3 is broken into hot spots, so in some areas its easier to limit the number of mobs you have to deal with at a time while in others surviving is also about paying attention to the environment so you dont get swamped.

Level 4 or the half level between 3 and 4 where the elemental gazers spawn is a nice little rest area which gives you a small taste of what lies below.

Level 5, well, have fun with that, if its too easy let us know, and we'll raise the caps on the "special abilities" those mobs have.
>:>

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks Logrus for the "heads up" on progression. Are you saying that there are built in areas for rapid skill advancement? Or just that there are areas of higher intensity spawn?

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bard mastery changes:
How about that the spell will now benefit your guildmates/blue chars, even if not in party mode. (in tram)

And if you're in Fel, must be in party mode to receive benefits.

P

pgcd

This makes me glad I decided to come back to UO last month. The specifics aren't important - it's the spirit that matters.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Geez. I figured it might take at least 24 hours for someone to complete a Whetstone. You guys are hardcore.

:)
Gotta be careful. People may burn out on this in the TC and never bother to actually play on their server! ;)

Took about 3 hours, and we weren't trying THAT hard. Although we did this in fel, and we were aided by slaying some other people who happened to be carrying the crystals lol.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think they will every understand what you mean pike.

It's like you were tying to listen to 99.9 Mhertz and everyone was speaking on 110. You can hear some garbled pieces, but can't make sense of it much.

Thus my goal was reached, I was aknowledged at the same time multiple devs started caring.

My role is complete here once again and since I was asked to censor myself more (its actually impossible) so I'm leaving for now ; you guys are on your own.

It's a happy thing, many will cheer and perhaps have a neat little celebration !

If you do please invite me through PM, my contribution is not welcome here... see you in another cycle or two... :lick:

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Level 5, well, have fun with that, if its too easy let us know, and we'll raise the caps on the "special abilities" those mobs have.
>:>
Unbound energy Vortexs - Pretty much afk killed them for crystals
NPC the burning - Most powerful thing down there
Chaos Vortex - For only one of them, it sure didnt seem too special
Diseased Blood Elementals - Was more in line with what should be there
NPC the crazed - I like its ability to "taint" mana, but its offensive power is again, pretty weak
Wind Elementals - More in line with the blood ele's

Now dont get me wrong, it still took us about 2 hours to get enough points to summon all 3 bosses.