• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] New 3rd Party Program Approved For UO: UO Mapper

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A strange stragey of releasing and publishing a tool program, not releasing it here as beta before, releasing it on herald as approved map tool, without a tilt map function!

But iam thankfull that there is somebody developing it. Thanks!
It was a closed beta (and almost remained a closed application).

The Map Tilt was not added because it's not extraordinarily important in the grand scheme of things. It is useful, yes, but I'd rather have everything functional.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi okay one last thing mad :) I have mapper marking my treasure chest, but one slight tiny prob its marking miles away ,nearly off the screen to be exact . Thanks for all your help hope this will be my last question :)
I'll look in to it when I get a moment.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does not work for me. Win7 64 bit. Running as administrator. I select add marker, fill in description, select icon, try to fill in the "add to" box and it will not accept any category - cannot press the OK button. All categories are selected. Licensed copy of UOAssist, with the classic client, and "Use Enhanced Client" is unchecked in the Mapper settings.
Yes, it appears the selector isn't working as expected on Win7 64-bit, however, you can still type in what you would like. It auto-completes, so if you start type, for example, "Arch" it will auto-complete to "Archers Guild".

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi okay one last thing mad :) I have mapper marking my treasure chest, but one slight tiny prob its marking miles away ,nearly off the screen to be exact . Thanks for all your help hope this will be my last question :)
I am currently unable to duplicate this issue. Can anyone else verify?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Any chance of a feature to import entire existing .map files (markers) from UOAM/UOC (they use the same format)?

I've got a spreadsheet, for example, that allows me to create a set of coordinates for SOS locations that I could just drop into a .map file, and I really don't want to have to use it to convert from Latitude/Longitude to X/Y, THEN retype those one at a time in the Import/export.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any chance of a feature to import entire existing .map files (markers) from UOAM/UOC (they use the same format)?

I've got a spreadsheet, for example, that allows me to create a set of coordinates for SOS locations that I could just drop into a .map file, and I really don't want to have to use it to convert from Latitude/Longitude to X/Y, THEN retype those one at a time in the Import/export.
Right-click the map, select "Markers...", then choose "Import/Export Markers".

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
MadMartyr: you might want to edit the opening of your licensing agreement in light of the UOHerald post :D

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The disclaimer in the about section will be changed accordingly for the next release. :D Thanks for pointing it out.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Right-click the map, select "Markers...", then choose "Import/Export Markers".
Ok, I see that now, but you might want to make that clearer with some text. I had no idea what those boxes are for (all I saw was "..." for their buttons).

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My game seemed to be lagging so I checked Task Manager. Memory Use: Client.exe 69,144k Ultima Mapper 82,344k. What's up with that? Holy cow, more memory use than the entire game?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vyal,

I suspect this has something to do with the latest Classic Client patch breaking dear old UO AutoMap so badly that it probably can't even be hacked back to life with the hex editor tricks.

With UO AutoMap officially deceased and probably unhackable, and UO Cartographer abandoned by the developer and only available second-hand from a few fansites, and with Jeff's interview recently admitting that most users were still using the Classic Client, I rather think the broken mapping situation was just another nightmare that Messana would have had to face on top of the patching disaster, and perhaps she has had the wisdom to put some pressure on the powers-that-be to give us Classis Client users a break today.
I am kinda tired of getting used to some application which gets then no longer supported.
Perhaps it is time that Ultima Online gets an "in house" Mapping utility that gets updated along with the clients ?

Clearly, since lots of players have used at some point Mapping utilities for UO there is a need for one.

Well, if there is a need for one, then why on earth doesn't the game make one available to players ?

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, I see that now, but you might want to make that clearer with some text. I had no idea what those boxes are for (all I saw was "..." for their buttons).
The two sections of that window should say "Import" and "Export" respectively.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My game seemed to be lagging so I checked Task Manager. Memory Use: Client.exe 69,144k Ultima Mapper 82,344k. What's up with that? Holy cow, more memory use than the entire game?
That is due largely to the maps. Currently, the entire map is loaded in to memory for whatever facet you are on, which means that the actual running size will vary by the difference in maps. In a future version, this will be handled differently to reduce memory usage. It was/is not a priority as 90MB of RAM is an issue for very few people nowadays.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am kinda tired of getting used to some application which gets then no longer supported.
Perhaps it is time that Ultima Online gets an "in house" Mapping utility that gets updated along with the clients ?

Clearly, since lots of players have used at some point Mapping utilities for UO there is a need for one.

Well, if there is a need for one, then why on earth doesn't the game make one available to players ?
Some things are better handled outside of the main development of a game, or outside the control of a corporation. If they upgraded the map in Classic Client, you might be forced to pay for that as an expansion, or any other set of issues that people would complain about. In the end, it would take their focus away from content and mechanics, and cause more complaints.

E

Erica3

The change of the scale rate changes with ZoomIn,ZoomOut by 25% and it changes by the mouse scroll by 30%.
Making to my favorite scale rate is serious.
To change, is not the figure input changed either?

Haddy G

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, it appears the selector isn't working as expected on Win7 64-bit, however, you can still type in what you would like. It auto-completes, so if you start type, for example, "Arch" it will auto-complete to "Archers Guild".
Thanks that solved my problem. I am running Win 7 64 bit too. I would have swore this was using the CC maps. Are both EC and CC maps in there? Maybe I had the wrong map app up.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks that solved my problem. I am running Win 7 64 bit too. I would have swore this was using the CC maps. Are both EC and CC maps in there? Maybe I had the wrong map app up.
Excellent. CC maps are currently used, as their format is documented and easily converted. I plan to investigate the format of the EC maps in the future.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK, ladies and gents. Sorting through 5 pages of posts to gather and prioritize feature requests and bugs just isn't cutting it. If you have a bug or feature request, please use the Bug Tracker (second icon from the bottom on the left-hand navigation) on the Ultima Mapper web site. If it's a bug report, be sure to include your Operating System (XP, Vista, 7, 2000, etc), what you've tried, and how to reproduce the problem (be as specific as possible).

Please look through the existing reports before adding a new one. If one exists, please comment on that so I can gauge interest.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i have a question.
maybe someone can answer this for me.
i plugged my info into Mapper that i usually use for UOAM and i cant get it to work.
it shows me as connected, but i cant see anyone else who is connected.
i put it on all 3 of my computers and connected them all and nothing, cant see them.

so i went and got the server for mapper.
installed that.
then gave the info my my other computers.
still couldnt get that to work either.

is anyone able to connect vie their own server or a paid for server?

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i have a question.
maybe someone can answer this for me.
i plugged my info into Mapper that i usually use for UOAM and i cant get it to work.
it shows me as connected, but i cant see anyone else who is connected.
i put it on all 3 of my computers and connected them all and nothing, cant see them.

so i went and got the server for mapper.
installed that.
then gave the info my my other computers.
still couldnt get that to work either.

is anyone able to connect vie their own server or a paid for server?
Are you using the classic client, or the enhanced? When using the Enhanced Client, there is currently a bug with the MapWindow.lua that I hope to fix before the night is out. Without this properly working, Mapper will not track your movement.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Really sux that I can't use it on classic client. Just spent the last hour trying to get it working to discover I need UOA as well. Not happy. Guess I'll be uninstalling now.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This map is awful, It doesn't save my setting of the size and position and borderless when i close the map and open it again.

PLUS, i'm unable to edit or add any labels, everytime i edit or add a label the map crashes.

Also, if you zoom in too far the map goes black, AND it's no where near as clear as uocartographer, it's so blurry.

PJay

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well ive tried with this map but untill the Quality of the maps are resolved this isnt a viable alternative to uoc.

Also mervyn is correct if you try to add/edit a marker it immediatly crashes ive filed a bug report.

But please reconsider the quality of the maps sort that and its a clear winner.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The Map Tilt was not added because it's not extraordinarily important in the grand scheme of things. It is useful, yes, but I'd rather have everything functional.
This is your opinion, running with that map non titlt in PvP is no fun and not really usefull. Another thing is the closed program, we had UOAM (closed), UOCartographer(closed) and now Mapper, what happend to the program if you dont like it anymore?

No, i don't want to make your work bad, but think on a navigator software, which fits always to the north, it is bad to navigate with it.

Phangs_of_Phage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Lucitus is right. My pvp guild cannot use this until it has a tilt feature. I havent had any problems with map quality or anything else. But in pvp we dont have to to do adjustements due to the non tilt :(

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is your opinion, running with that map non titlt in PvP is no fun and not really usefull. Another thing is the closed program, we had UOAM (closed), UOCartographer(closed) and now Mapper, what happend to the program if you dont like it anymore?

No, i don't want to make your work bad, but think on a navigator software, which fits always to the north, it is bad to navigate with it.
If it should get to a point where I don't believe I'll be able to work on the application any longer, I'll work with Mythic to find a suitable replacement. There are reasons the application cannot be open source beyond wanting to strictly control my code.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True story, with this new map you can't even tell what tile you're stood on, whereas UOCartographer clearly shows a square for each tile.
I will work on the maps issue. Please take a moment to report it to the bug tracker, if it's not already list.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well ive tried with this map but untill the Quality of the maps are resolved this isnt a viable alternative to uoc.

Also mervyn is correct if you try to add/edit a marker it immediatly crashes ive filed a bug report.

But please reconsider the quality of the maps sort that and its a clear winner.
More information is needed, and this should be added to the bug tracker. Important information such as: Operating System, Video Card, System Memory, etc. If you received an error message, please include that as well.

C

Conrad99

THX Mad for you work. I was able to get it to work and track. I had problems yesterday but reading through the post chain I was able to get it to work with CC.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Are you using the classic client, or the enhanced? When using the Enhanced Client, there is currently a bug with the MapWindow.lua that I hope to fix before the night is out. Without this properly working, Mapper will not track your movement.
classic client

Nylan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice job Mad.
It is great to see people trying to help our game.
keep up the good work.

Thank you.
:)

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I and my guildmates are having all kinds of tracking issues with it. we run everything as admin, get logged in and uncheck "use Enhanced client" in the setting tab, and make sure we do have "center on player" checked, it will track us for a while. Then, when you recall or sacred journey to a new facet, bam, it stops tracking you altogether. It just happened to me, I am seeing myself in my keep, and I am actually in Ilsh., looking at the settings, nothing has changed, still supposed to be centered on me, and I am moving, waiting for it to update.

Edit: so I closed out the Mapper and reopened it still as admin, it still will not track me. The only thing that seems to work, is if I closed UO and Mapper down and reopen everything fresh, seems a bit tedious

PJay

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i posted a bug report on the marker issues yesterday i went to add another report today and noticed the one i did wasnt there so ive redone it again (with extra info you requested) and its still not there when i click filters i get page not found error is the bug reporting fuction working correctly on your webby?

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I and my guildmates are having all kinds of tracking issues with it. we run everything as admin, get logged in and uncheck "use Enhanced client" in the setting tab, and make sure we do have "center on player" checked, it will track us for a while. Then, when you recall or sacred journey to a new facet, bam, it stops tracking you altogether. It just happened to me, I am seeing myself in my keep, and I am actually in Ilsh., looking at the settings, nothing has changed, still supposed to be centered on me, and I am moving, waiting for it to update.

Edit: so I closed out the Mapper and reopened it still as admin, it still will not track me. The only thing that seems to work, is if I closed UO and Mapper down and reopen everything fresh, seems a bit tedious
Similar issues were reported, and fixed after forcing an update of UOA.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i posted a bug report on the marker issues yesterday i went to add another report today and noticed the one i did wasnt there so ive redone it again (with extra info you requested) and its still not there when i click filters i get page not found error is the bug reporting fuction working correctly on your webby?
Bugs are moderated. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. ;) We review the bugs, if they match a preexisting bug, we merge them. If not, they get a status added to them, and put in my queue. Note that, right now I'm only checking this stuff ever-so-often. Real life does beckon occasionally. I recently took on a volunteer to help me with the bug tracking and community, so that may reduce some of my workload.

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to agree with a few others here, the program looks/runs great, but until tilt is added, it's fairly useless to me.

M

MYUO

Similar issues were reported, and fixed after forcing an update of UOA.
UO mapper never worked for me. I have tested on 3 computers with Win XP, Vista or 7. I have ran it with the classic client with and without UOA. Once I started the map, it shows the tramel map near Brit and popped up a small window- "Choose Client". But there is nothing to choose from and none of the button at the bottom responds. Probably when run with uoa, there is a scroll shaped gump at start up showing "Select Client". The gump sometimes shows 1 for "# of Clients" and "Current Client", but sometimes shows 0.
The "portal" shows my char name and shard correctly. When I move or recall around, the map does not respond.
Of course, the Enhanced client box has been unchecked. FAQ didn't offer too much help.

Cypher2

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is what I have learned:

Run UOassist using "run as administrator" option
Run Ultima Mapper using "run as administrator" option

Click on 'Settings' > Set these as you like (your name)
De-click "Use enhanced client" (If using classic)

Click on "OK"

A new pop-up window will appear with "Refresh, Alternate, Select and Cancel"

There will be nothing in the window.

Click on "Alternate"
Click on "Alternate" again

You should now be tracked. You can just close the little 'Select client' window.

(you may have to choose "Center on Player" if not already selected)

This works for me and everyone in my guild.

Good luck.

Sorchaa

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry hit wrong button :(( this is an example if I mark a chest in mapper ,I don't usually hit bank sign to be honest .I was at the bridge when I put marker down ,thanks again for wonderful map ect :)) The capture above last reply shows how far out the marker goes.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'd disagree. The game map is tilted; I have never been able to successfully navigate in-game without consulting a map that was not also tilted. I didn't realize yours wasn't!

-Galen's player

Airhaun

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd disagree. The game map is tilted; I have never been able to successfully navigate in-game without consulting a map that was not also tilted. I didn't realize yours wasn't!

-Galen's player
I completely agree with Galen. As I told my guildmates: Using a map that isn't tilted gives me that "spin around a bunch of times real fast and try to walk straight" feeling. As I look on the map at any given destination I am trying to reach I find myself going to far up, to far down... oops I missed it lets backtrack a screen.... ah there we are.

I am eagerly anticipating your release of a tilt option. Only IMO it will increase the functionality of the program considerably!

Toowired

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
uo mapper still working after patch on friday ? I have been unable to get it to track my char

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I noticed while doing mibs that the coordinates on the mapper were slightly off (by 7). Using a sextant might come in handy for the time being just to be safe. I don't know what caused this.

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

-Galen's player
I suppose I should rephrase...in the grand scheme of things from a development standpoint.

That said, map rotation is almost completed. The map itself can now tilt and markers go with it. All that's left is mouse interaction and overlays.

Airhaun

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First let me say that I really like this program and am grateful for you work. With a few fixes it will be AMAZING !!

Aside from the chat feature, tilt option and few others I haven't seen anything mentioned about the Mouse Scrolling Zoom.

If you zoom in and out using the menu options it works great (but takes to long). When you zoom out with the mouse scroll wheel it jumps from 90% to 10% which basically is the entire World Map. This has been incredibly inconvenient when trying to navigate the extended area around me. I'll be at 90% and see one of my buddies are just of screen, scroll back to zoom out and find him/her and BAM! The entire World Map is in my face. Will you consider changing the scrolling zoom ratio to be similar to the menu zoom ratio? I think this would be a huge improvement in functionality.

And again let me say thank you and great work. I want to make sure this post is more positive than negative because you are appreciated. :thumbsup:

MadMartyr

Madness Personified
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First let me say that I really like this program and am grateful for you work. With a few fixes it will be AMAZING !!

Aside from the chat feature, tilt option and few others I haven't seen anything mentioned about the Mouse Scrolling Zoom.

If you zoom in and out using the menu options it works great (but takes to long). When you zoom out with the mouse scroll wheel it jumps from 90% to 10% which basically is the entire World Map. This has been incredibly inconvenient when trying to navigate the extended area around me. I'll be at 90% and see one of my buddies are just of screen, scroll back to zoom out and find him/her and BAM! The entire World Map is in my face. Will you consider changing the scrolling zoom ratio to be similar to the menu zoom ratio? I think this would be a huge improvement in functionality.

And again let me say thank you and great work. I want to make sure this post is more positive than negative because you are appreciated. :thumbsup:
Thank you for the kind words. I was unaware of any issues affecting scroll wheel zoom. Could you please add this to the bug tracker at Ultima Mapper | Player Tracking Refined (second icon from the bottom on the left-hand navigation)? That way we can be sure to take a look at it.