• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO guided tour: Help needed.

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I might get visitors from other games during the summer, early fall. People I have played with in the past. I have promised them a guided tour through various parts of the world, and all the different styles of play UO has to offer. Not for a long time, only 2-3 hours one evening. They might stay after, they might not. It`s a get-together of sorts, only in UO :)

I am working on the plan for the event, and would love some input from others as well. If you see Sosaria and UO as the city you live in and love, what would you show them? Where would you take them? What is a must on the Europa server?

I have ideas already, but would love to hear what others think.

These are experienced MMO players, but they will all probably need some guidance.What should I expect they have problems with ?

The client we will use will probably be KR, as I don`t dare to present them 2D, even if I almost have the same feeling about KR. The latter at least gives them a more familiar feel I think.

They are all pvp-addicts - so I think they all have to renounce their young status in New Haven already so I can guild them up and they can start whacking at eachother. I also plan to tame a few different mounts to give them. When we get to my house a presentation of the the crafting system while they get equipped with some GM armour. Some battles on the roof top to present the skillsystem. Also to present them with the whole dying-rezzing, grabbing of stuff from corpse thing. I expect there to be much dying on the tour...

The route so far: South tip of Cap of Heroes -> Trinsic. Moongate ( or mounted) to Britain - visit Castle. Other things of interest?

Moongate to Vesper - maybe a peek inside Swaggers (they are roleplayers and the whole tour will be IC) before we go through the portal to Buc`s. There we set sail and cast a green net, (Yeah oOoOo) before we "carefully" land on the beach of Magincia.

Boat again to Moonglow and moongate to a dungeon. Which one would you pick? I like to show them Ilshenar too, but there are so many dangerous places there. Perhaps Compassion and the Savage Village? How weak are you when you enter the world anyway? I have completly forgotten.

Oh, and of course Zento - and the eyesore that is Luna.

Where would you take them?

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like a fantastic evening to be! How about keeping the young status and show the dangerous parts first? Then let them pvp and see the rp world?

I think Chaos Shrine and Twisted Weald in Ilsh look impressing.
I guess you wont have time, but digging a treasure while you are out sailing wolld show even more of the diversity here...

Good luck with this event, I hope you get them all hooked on this:danceb:

S

Seasseragh

What kind of account will they use? Will they be able to enter Tokuno/Malas/Ilshenar/ML-Dungeons at all? AFAIK you still can´t do those with a trial account(I may be wrong here).

New characters are terribly weak due to low stats. Some can actually die to a mongbat.

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What kind of account will they use? Will they be able to enter Tokuno/Malas/Ilshenar/ML-Dungeons at all? AFAIK you still can´t do those with a trial account(I may be wrong here).
Haven`t thought of that. Need to check. They can still enter Felucca though after they have renounced their young status?

New characters are terribly weak due to low stats. Some can actually die to a mongbat.
Oh yeah, now I remember....

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a quick FYI - a KR demo account can enter all facets and have access to everything it seems. We tested tonight.

Minervas suggestion about guilding them but not renouncing the young status first is a good one I think. Yes to Chaos and Twisted Weald - although the guide might be in trouble there. I can just push them through the gates and tell them to explore I guess:)

Once they renounce their young status I was thinking Despise perhaps as a dungeon crawl. Shame?

D

DuLang

With starter skills it will be hard to survive against some of the stuff there, especially with the low stats as well, will need a lot of protection, or a lot of resses :)

Despise is a good idea because its somewhat of a mixed bag. Lizardmen, ettins and earth eles, the ogres, OL's, trolls, acid elementals, titans, cyclopean warriors. Good to show the various types of creatures.

Shame would be tough but would show a big range of monsters as well, albeit mainly elementals.

They're the 'easier' of the dungeons, although covetous level 1 is alright.

Wrong isn't that bad either. Lizardmen, some humanoid stuff, then brigands and npcs mages on 2nd floor, so that's a possibility as well.

Oasis always impressed me back when I first started and a wide variety of creatures. Terrathan keep? maybe?

If you can find an old copy of the town maps that come with the original UO showing where provisioners, jewllers, smithies, etc were you could do a scavenger hunt getting them to buy various items from the different npcs? Not a bad idea, show the vendoring system, what can be bought, sold, etc.

Good idea though to try and get people into the game, well played.

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wrong isn't that bad either. Lizardmen, some humanoid stuff, then brigands and npcs mages on 2nd floor, so that's a possibility as well.
Went through the list in KR, checking for what looks good in that client. Wrong looks best I think, with some good party skills that wouldn`t be too bad, and we have the option to go deeper into more dangerous territory if we so choose.

I want them to see so much but we have so little time. Choices, choices. The idea behind going to Magincia for example was to show them that Sosaria is a dynamic world, and the surface changes according to ingame events. There might be easier places to do that however. The pit in Moonglow perhaps.

I do want them to be able to just play some as well.

And of course, thanks to all who have contributed so far! Much appreciated.

C

cheerful

Mag seems a good idea for the reasons stated plus you could show them the 'false moongate' built by RPers and adventures to enhance the idea of players affecting the world, remember the corrupted souls though.
When in Brit show them the Councelors Hall and reward area.

The towns are very active at the moment so check out what activities each one is doing on the night so maybe you could watch a parade/training session or the like.

Check the boards and EM portal for any events that maybe happening on the night.

Are you enforcing RP CoC on the night re: gm armour? If not a couple of spined kits would go a long way to keeping them alive for I envisage much ressing on the night. Anyway, a pack full of pots should lighten the load.

For the PvP I would let them have a little practice then stage a mini tournament for the fun of it with a prize to the winner as a momento.

Show them all the different styles of custom housing (the good ones)

Go to Heartwood (if you can) and get them to do the easiest of quests.

If I'm about when this goes down I'd be happy to help.

Alyx Astarsis.

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good ideas there Cheerful, thanks.

I am going GM armour when they equip up for a dungeon crawl yes. But now I am starting to think Wrong might be too easy - since 8-9 people might show up. There need to be some difficulty and dying and rezzing, otherwise they haven`t really experienced it all. Thats why I also just go with GM armour with a regular kit.

Custom housing: Zento is a good place for this maybe, also Yew. There are a few lovely places in Malas , but so many are just cubes there. Glad for pointers to places.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For custom housing definately check around RP areas, theres some really great designs and decoration :)

C

Coppelia

Don't use KR client if you want to show house designs. Well, I would avoid KR until it's fully reworked. I think there's a beta now, maybe it's the occasion.

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they're PvP addicts you should show them 2D client. KR is unplayable in PvP - trust me. Start up by going to Felucca Despise, kill the easier monsters there and with a bit of luck some red might pop up.

After they've had their fun of killing mobs there take them to meet a shadow wyrm/ancient wyrm or even a greater dragon in Destard ;) laughs guaranteed.