• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO, Game Or Virtual Enviroment?

Is UO A Game Or Virtual Enviroment

• Game

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • Virtual Enviroment

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Both

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 4 5.5%

• Total voters
J

Jackson

This game used to be a virtual Environment, now its just a game.
In my Opinion

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The world of UO was originally a "social experiment" and was closely watched during its infancy.. Most likely to observe how groups of people interacted in a virtual world given different variables.

Now 20 years from now.. we supposedly wont be able to tell the difference between the real world, and the virtual world.. "Singularity"

R

RavenWinterHawk

You need to define.
It is a virtual enviroment. Its self contained.
It is a game.

But I wonder if you are asking more if it is perceived as reality.

Perception is reality in my opinion.

So is it a virtual reality to some people.

Yes.

R

RenaLynne

I think its both-an environment because of the RP and a game because of the quests, monsters, skill acheivement, so on...

Lord Sir Scott

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IMO a game constitutes a Goal to acheive to Finish....
UO Has no finish....there is no way to just say ok i did everything and now i am done..

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To me, if it's not a job, it's a game :)

(I've seen some prototypes for "Virtual environments" that big companies are working on now as serious business tools and they're more like an advanced version of Second Life than a MMORPG)

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
mostly a game because of the low population. sometimes it feels like you are just part of a LAN party with like 5 other people.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This game used to be a virtual Environment, now its just a game.
In my Opinion
A spot on opinion...in my opinion.

Vision was once a part of UO, and it truely was once a "world". That vision is gone, and UO is now 100% game. Ok... maybe 95% game. :D

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it's ever more than just a game, it's time to take a break.

:fight:
QTF.

I guess some parents missed the boat on teaching their kids some of lifes pretty important lessons.

Is a cartoon an animated story of make believe or is it... oh hell

:coco:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
QTF.

I guess some parents missed the boat on teaching their kids some of lifes pretty important lessons.

Is a cartoon an animated story of make believe or is it... oh hell

:coco:

*chuckles* BR, if I apply the logic you used in that "other" thread/poll. You are wrong. Almost two to one choosing more than just a game. I will check the numbers later.

Oh, I have not voted yet.

RoseBlue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it's mostly a virtual environment, because you have neighbours , places to go to and visit, personal realizations by players, endless possibilities of contacts, parties, events and so on...

But, this environment is not real life : its virtual.

And, of course, its a game also because of the entertainment, the monsters to fight and so on...but not like other games.

(no time to develop my thinkings better :lick:)

:sleep2: