• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO doesn´t run on Win10

matapalo

Visitor
Hey!

i just downloaded the enhanced and the classic client, but when im trying to execute both, just NOTHING happens... I´ve tried every compatibility-mode and of course always run the executables as admin...

to clear it up, installing both, the enhanced and the classic client works just finde, but running UO afterwards does not.

anybody got any suggestions what i am doing wrong???

thanks!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have no idea what's causing that, maybe your anti-virus software is blocking it from running or something like that?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hey!

i just downloaded the enhanced and the classic client, but when im trying to execute both, just NOTHING happens... I´ve tried every compatibility-mode and of course always run the executables as admin...

to clear it up, installing both, the enhanced and the classic client works just finde, but running UO afterwards does not.

thanks!
Odd I run both on Win 10.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
hmm... with you saying you will try it at home on your private pc.. makes me think you are at work trying to run it. Surely that's not the case though right?

Digowiz

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uo is marked as a virus by the windows defender. Add the uo folders to the exceptions. This should solve your problem. It solved mine.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
lol

Nah I would never say that is a bad thing. Of course, it's hard enough running a spawn without having to look around for the boss every few minutes. Just figured that some companies have some things blocked out and that could be his problem :)

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I have Windows 10, use Windows Defender, and so far have never had a problem running UO.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Hey!

thanks!
Are you running them in administrator mode?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If the patcher can't reach the patching server due to firewall restrictions, proxies and etc, it can take several minutes to notice and warn you, and finally launch the client.
You could launch the client directly, but it is likely not patched, so no point in doing that.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Runs fine on Windows 10 for me also, I'd add all the game exe/uoa/automap/cartographer files to the whitelist/ignore list on your antivirus programs. I have every imaginable gamefile whitelisted after various antivirus programs over the last year decided it didn't like UO much.
Was and is the same problem with Win 7, I still have it on my laptop and it's just as testy as 10. I switched from my old antivirus program to Bitdefender one time right after i got this new computer with Win10 on it and it was an OMG moment. It deleted both EC and CC right out of the box, needless to say my money was wasted buying Bitdefender cause I deleted it and never touched it again, back to the antivirus that works properly, asking you if you want to do something about some problem program.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yeah it should work just fine, some reported virus software conflicting though. But just in case, let's count to make sure hehe :p

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I've been holding off on the free upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 basically because I was lazy and fearful it would break something. UO and UOAssist both run fine on Win 10?

JohnnyO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been holding off on the free upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 basically because I was lazy and fearful it would break something. UO and UOAssist both run fine on Win 10?
Works fine on Win 10 for me. It was quite a while ago that I upgraded but I don't remember having any issues.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Sorry but I never heard about Windows Tyrath... when did it come out? hehe :p
He's talking about the very short lived Windows ME... was meant to be a light weight, internet based operating system. It failed miserably.

UO, UOA, UOAM all run fine in Windows 10 native. Just make sure (as others have stated) that you allow the programs to run through your antivirus, and that Windows doesn't create a false-positive viral profile for UO and related programs.

Insofar as running at work, your IT people might have certain things flagged. I know any "open pipe" that was on our network was quickly identified and if counter productive, was blocked. From ICQ to Windows Messenger (which became Skype) and of course, a multitude of Games. Even on the WiFi - we blocked all that. If you are attempting to run at work, best be in good with your IT department.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hobby of mine is building legacy computers with every windows OS and the hardware of the day. Last one finished was Windows ME system, and yes it failed miserably and had major problems but it was a official windows OS.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you have a Firewall like Zone Alarm? Windows has a built in Firewall to.

I know Zone Alarm will block UO no matter the windows version.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I recently upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 and my wife from Win 7 to Win 10 and neither of us experienced any problems from it. All programs installed from before the upgrade were fine.