• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] VvV Focus Group Needed

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the Devs
2014 May 09 19:43 GMT
Greetings!!

We are seeking 13 to 15 interested individuals to participate in a focus group for our upcoming feature, Vice vs Virtue!

Interested individuals should:
  • Have an active, Ultima Online subscription free of any past infractions
  • A passion for, and experience with, Player vs Player combat in UO
  • Be willing to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement
  • Be able to communicate and critique in a respectable and adult manner
If you are interested send your account name (no passwords ever!), and a brief description of why you would like to be considered for this focus group to [email protected] .

See you in Britannia,

The UO Team

Continue reading...

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well I TRUELLY hope good things come of this. I wish those whom are allowed entry attempt their collective best to add positive input and not twist this last chance for fresh UO PvP blood.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's to hoping they pick PvPers and not like the last focus group!! Application sent!

Where's zora when you need him!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Here's to hoping they pick PvPers and not like the last focus group!! Application sent!
I hope they pick some from both sides VvV not only should be for a small UO group but something that will work better with the community than Faction did. One part is to make more want some PvP without using carrots to make them PvP.

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's the thing pvpers don't need or want "carrots" and like others said this group should consist of proper pvpers not trammies

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
No matter what you do, PvP will effect the rest of the game so it's about the game, not only about a few hardcore PvP'ers, who not care about the rest of the game. There is a lot players between the hardcore PvP'ers and the non PvP'ers, a lot players who may PvP if it is fun. Carrots are a wrong way to make them PvP. They should PvP because it's exciting.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's the thing pvpers don't need or want "carrots" and like others said this group should consist of proper pvpers not trammies

So your all for PSs in Tram?

13-15. That is a small group for a focused imput. This group is to reflect the thoughts of the masses. Or is PVP not as massive as they think and 13-15 is reaching?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I am. Shouldn't be about risk vs reward bs. Should be about what you enjoy. You won't make non-PvPers like or want to risk anything going to PvP area's for reward. They will do what they do. You can however make PvP more fun.

The idea to get more folk to participate and all isn't rewards or "carrots"..... its fun. However before they can enjoy the fun there are still "cheats" that need to be addressed or no change or system in the game will ever be enjoyable.

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

13-15. That is a small group for a focused imput. This group is to reflect the thoughts of the masses. Or is PVP not as massive as they think and 13-15 is reaching?
This is about VvV not current systems in place.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If people dont think you need some kind of "carrot" to entice more people to pvp, then you obviously have never played a single other MMO.

Sorry, but the nostalgic, lets pvp just to pvp thinking just doesn't work 15 years later. Powerscrolls MADE pvpers. I know TONS Of people who started out as spawners just trying to get some scrolls and eventually I evolved to enjoying pvp more than anything else.

I don't know about anyone else, but Im getting a bit tired of fighting the SAME PEOPLE over and over. Its about time we had something to entice people to get into pvp and become new blood.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the most important thing to happen to UO in the last few years. *salutes* broadsword for using their most valuable resource, the players. Lets hope the group comes up with some solid, no nonsense incentives and structures to make pvp a rewarding activity once again.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If anything I would like the pre-AOS powerscroll system back. If you died in a dungeon all your items stayed with you except cursed items. If you were red you lost 50% of your items[though insurance would trump this now obviously] If you died in a fel dungeon or T2A, you were teleported out to the nearest shrine and banned from re-entry for 30 minutes. This encouraged people, even trammies to come get scroll themselves and you could actually win a spawn instead of having pvp'rs res over and over and over and over nonstop.

You could actually defeat your enemy and be safe from having them come back for a half hour. I really enjoyed that aspect of actually winning.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If anything I would like the pre-AOS powerscroll system back. If you died in a dungeon all your items stayed with you except cursed items. If you were red you lost 50% of your items[though insurance would trump this now obviously] If you died in a fel dungeon or T2A, you were teleported out to the nearest shrine and banned from re-entry for 30 minutes. This encouraged people, even trammies to come get scroll themselves and you could actually win a spawn instead of having pvp'rs res over and over and over and over nonstop.

You could actually defeat your enemy and be safe from having them come back for a half hour. I really enjoyed that aspect of actually winning.
One major problem with this. Say you're doing the spawn in Destard, get raided, and get wiped out. You can simply go back through Serpent's Hold, use the Teleporter to go to Despise, then set up a defense in the Star Room. That assumes the raiders are dumb & don't have a scroll runner, who will just go out through the entrance.

However, it also works the other way. If you successfully defend the spawn, you'll be able to finish it in peace. None of the Champions take that long with a group.

Grokmar

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
PVPers deserve a PVP system that's actually worthwhile, but I have grave doubts about any given system really enticing anyone who doesn't PVP already.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One major problem with this. Say you're doing the spawn in Destard, get raided, and get wiped out. You can simply go back through Serpent's Hold, use the Teleporter to go to Despise, then set up a defense in the Star Room. That assumes the raiders are dumb & don't have a scroll runner, who will just go out through the entrance.

However, it also works the other way. If you successfully defend the spawn, you'll be able to finish it in peace. None of the Champions take that long with a group.
Nope. can't do that. You were banned from the entire dungeon and T2A subserver. If you ever looked at the UO map in any map utility the entire dungeon area and T2A and Green Acres sits on its own area separate from the overworld. So before AOS, if you died you would be banned from that entire area for 30 minutes. If you died in Destard this meant, no star room, no shame, no despise, no T2A, etc. You just got a msg saying you cannot re-enter this area till the timer was up.

For what it was the system worked great and lots of people even "trammies" went because they knew they had nothing to lose, if you got killed, well you didn't lose anything, only time. It was fun. Then in AOS I guess the reasoning this wasn't needed anymore was because of insurance, but they also handed over what was a very public system, even harrowers, over to organized spawn guilds.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope. can't do that. You were banned from the entire dungeon and T2A subserver. If you ever looked at the UO map in any map utility the entire dungeon area and T2A and Green Acres sits on its own area separate from the overworld. So before AOS, if you died you would be banned from that entire area for 30 minutes. If you died in Destard this meant, no star room, no shame, no despise, no T2A, etc. You just got a msg saying you cannot re-enter this area till the timer was up.

For what it was the system worked great and lots of people even "trammies" went because they knew they had nothing to lose, if you got killed, well you didn't lose anything, only time. It was fun. Then in AOS I guess the reasoning this wasn't needed anymore was because of insurance, but they also handed over what was a very public system, even harrowers, over to organized spawn guilds.
Oh, that's how it worked? I wouldn't know - I started with AoS, after Personal Bless Deeds were no longer handed out. That's actually pretty good.

And Green Acres...damn, that takes me back. I never entered it though - on LS (and probably other shards), it was supposedly possible if you went to Khaldun & used a Teleport Ring, but I don't remember most of the specifics (and I didn't have a Ring.)

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, that's how it worked? I wouldn't know - I started with AoS, after Personal Bless Deeds were no longer handed out. That's actually pretty good.

And Green Acres...damn, that takes me back. I never entered it though - on LS (and probably other shards), it was supposedly possible if you went to Khaldun & used a Teleport Ring, but I don't remember most of the specifics (and I didn't have a Ring.)
I thought it was great and encouraged a lot of pvp. Basically a fun, easy to get into accessible system with no major losses. Which is what a proper pvp system should be. Just some dumb and fun smacking on other players. =]

Which is why I don't think vice and virtue should be restricted to guilds like the devs are planning.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Yer pretty sure of this?

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Will be interesting to see what comes from this focus groups feedback.

Zerbee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish they would just do it in a form of an open-beta type testing. Rather have a higher amount of players giving feedback rather than 13-15 people.
Heres hoping that they do a good job.

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wish they would just do it in a form of an open-beta type testing. Rather have a higher amount of players giving feedback rather than 13-15 people.
Heres hoping that they do a good job.
Too many cooks spoil the broth. I'm hoping it will go onto TC and be refined based on feedback later, though. That just makes sense.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It'll just be vocal stratics posters most likely and it'll end up being a trammel based system for RP and daily 120 scroll rolls..

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well I am hopeful that it will bring some sort of old time PvP back to the game but I worry as time has shown that those who have made decisions in the past never actually killed a person without the use of god mode.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It'll just be vocal stratics posters most likely and it'll end up being a trammel based system for RP and daily 120 scroll rolls..

if this is what is is then virtue vrs vice will be a failure. the devs arent stupid. they know who the pvpers are.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe Mesanna & the devs will have the players who sent in emails to join the focus group pvp each other. Best 13 or 15 get accepted into the group.

best of luck to all you pvpers

Last edited:

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe Mesanna & the devs will have the players who sent in emails to join the focus group pvp each other. Best 13 or 15 get accepted into the group.

Half those that applied would not even log in without their hacks after learning there will be a fight for the spots. And most likely they would just get the back of their hands slapped if caught anyways. Psst, pixels feel no pain.

Gregorry

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
if this is what is is then virtue vrs vice will be a failure. the devs arent stupid. they know who the pvpers are.
Hello, I am Bane and I disagree with your statement that they know who the pvpers are. If they knew who the pvpers are, I would have got an email from Mesanna asking for my help to organise a group of REAL pvpers to test out their new VVV. I'm actually quite offended that Mesanna didn't come to me first, I am without a doubt the best dueler in the history of UO and still I need to write a description of why they should chose me? To me that is just ridiculous. My main point is they should know who the REAL pvpers are and not have a system where a trammy carebear can just sneak through and be on the team, it is a god damn shame and I will have no part in this focus group. Good luck, but not really.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Half those that applied would not even log in without their hacks after learning there will be a fight for the spots. And most likely they would just get the back of their hands slapped if caught anyways. Psst, pixels feel no pain.
Exactly no one wants players applying who needs crutches ( hacks) to be picked for this focus group. If they decided to do something like this the day to meet have a patch put through to disable those kinda programs.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mmm, can't say I'm keen on focus groups in UO, or rather what tends to come out of them...

I'd rather see a mixture of perspectives:
Active PvPers
Ex-PvPers who want to fight but feel the current PvP system needs work so it can attract them again
Players who want to try PvP but have been put off by the current game
Thieves! *grin*

Otherwise the feedback is going to come from players who are fighting under the current system rather than those who you want to encourage into the fight. I know there would be hassle keeping order with a diverse group, but this is a huge change for the game and should involve a broad section of the community. Including even a token RPer so you can consider the thoughts of a range of players and make it something for everyone. Part of the problem with today's PvP is the real sense of 'them and us', where PvPers can seem like this evil minority vs a mass of non-PvPers. I think it would be better to aim for creating a system we all played and that kinda requires that the non-PvPers should be involved in the discussion so they feel some ownership of the end product.

I'd volunteer if the group was able to include a newbie in the "RPing cannon fodder" category ;)

Wenchy

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello, I am Bane and I disagree with your statement that they know who the pvpers are. If they knew who the pvpers are, I would have got an email from Mesanna asking for my help to organise a group of REAL pvpers to test out their new VVV. I'm actually quite offended that Mesanna didn't come to me first, I am without a doubt the best dueler in the history of UO and still I need to write a description of why they should chose me? To me that is just ridiculous. My main point is they should know who the REAL pvpers are and not have a system where a trammy carebear can just sneak through and be on the team, it is a god damn shame and I will have no part in this focus group. Good luck, but not really.
Nothing like tooting your own horn. Do your parents know you're using their credit card to play this game?

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The reactions to this thread are indicative of some of the problems the Focus Group will gave. And there's other problems they will face besides these. This doesn't mean the Focus Group will fail or is not a worthwhile endeavor. It means it'll have problems to overcome and the team will need to keep some salt on-hand.

-Galen's player

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems like top arena spots could identify who could be included in the "pvp" perspective group. Add a tram group that hasn't pvp'ed and those two groups have the two perspectives they probably need.

-Lorax

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems like top arena spots could identify who could be included in the "pvp" perspective group. Add a tram group that hasn't pvp'ed and those two groups have the two perspectives they probably need.

-Lorax
Except no one uses the arenas...

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To bad dueling has nothing to do with pvp...

Glad you found a new board to spew nonsense on after getting humiliated by "REAL pvpers" on the Hot boards. You suck, your guild sucks, and it's no wonder you weren't accepted to the group.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Except no one uses the arenas...
Doesn't it have a time limit on the match or something? You could just go somewhere isolated & fight until someone dies. Although the time limit might be a better option, 'cause I've seen (and been in) duels that go for 5+ minutes. With enough mana regen, the duel could go on indefinitely.

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the Devs
2014 May 09 19:43 GMT
Greetings!!

We are seeking 13 to 15 interested individuals to participate in a focus group for our upcoming feature, Vice vs Virtue!

Interested individuals should:
  • Have an active, Ultima Online subscription free of any past infractions
  • A passion for, and experience with, Player vs Player combat in UO
  • Be willing to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement
  • Be able to communicate and critique in a respectable and adult manner
If you are interested send your account name (no passwords ever!), and a brief description of why you would like to be considered for this focus group to [email protected] .

See you in Britannia,

The UO Team

Continue reading...
Since the system is primarily PvP based, please insure the group is top heavy with well established PvPers. Thank you.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Transfer to test center, next excuse?
While I forgot about it, are you done yet? Put the testosterone away. You come in here blabbing about your own ability and how great you are (which is why the dev team should include you in the focus group), which can only mean one thing: You suck. None of the other players in this thread are doing that, and I'd venture a guess that most of them either PvP now (Freya) or have in the past (Galen & myself, who were guildmates at one time, not that I remember it.)

It amazes me that there are players like you who still need to go with the chest-thumping every time another player insults them. Especially when you're playing a nearly 20 year old game.