• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Vendor Search On Origin and Izumo

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well thats done with. now hopefully the team can move forward to more important things.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It doesn't pull up anything for "kitten"! (Even though I verified that there are some for sale.) This is clearly a grievous error!

*sniffle*

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
It doesn't pull up anything for "kitten"! (Even though I verified that there are some for sale.) This is clearly a grievous error!

*sniffle*
You're right!

If I search by Puppy or Kitten, I get nothing. Yet if I search for "Bleak" I get both. It's an obvious conspiracy by Bleak, so you have use his name in the search!

Lexfixr

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kittens and Puppies should come from shelters and rescues -- none of this vendor stuff

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
strange.
i just logged onto 4 HK/Korean shards and the vender search was greyed out.
i was logged at the inn in yew so i went to luna mint/inn and tried there and still greyed out.
was the same for all 4 shards.

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gahd i hate these map pins!
when you put a pin in a map you put the pin WHERE THE PLACE IS, you dont then bend the pin over and tell people to go to where the other end of the pin is hovering over as it sways in the breeze.

archiv

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is something I've really been looking forward to as a purchaser in UO. I despise using the third party sites to find items, chat is helpful but not always enough of a population on the 2 shards I play (I actually don't like the global chat, but that's neither here nor there). I am very excited that this is up and running and, so far, seems to be working on Siege. It would be nice if they had categories for other items rather than armor and weapons, but for starters this will be a tremendous benefit. Again, as a buyer.
As a seller, I'm mixed. I've only been playing 10 years but one of the things I remember when I was learning to play was the excitement of stocking the vendor, dropping runes everywhere and watching people pop in and buy my wares. On the flip side, this will be just as beneficial just without knowing when the thrill will come. A sale is a sale is a sale.
In closing, I agree with someone above who said amidst all the complaints it would be nice to get an 'atta boy/girl', so atta boy/girl/other to any devs who were involved with this.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Real glad its working! I bought several items I been trying to get my hands on for months! :)

Very nice work. :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as I know, I don't think the Magincia stalls were ever intended to be included.
Also, when searching, don't forget some vendor owners will have opted their vendors out

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
You may be right, I don't recall the Developers ever saying that Magincia vendors wouldn't be included in the vendor search. However, I just don't see a reason they shouldn't be included in the search. Why would they be different?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
because they're coded entirely differently to normal vendors?
I could be wrong, my coding knowledge doesn't extend beyond very basic html.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
because they're coded entirely differently to normal vendors?
You may be correct. What you said - makes sense. But: What we don't know is how much effort it would take to just add it, too.
Let me have a look into my crystal ball: It's rather new-ish code, so chances are it's well written, easily adaptable and extraordinarily well documented. So maybe it's only matter of... 4 or 5 hours of work? ;-) If so, then please, do it! Do it right now!

Here's why:
  1. It'd be a surplus over the 3rd party websites.
  2. It makes perfect sense.
  3. It could be considered unjust for Magincia Stall vendor owners.
  4. It would add even animals. Animals / tameables are a very important part of UO!
  5. It will impress the player base (= paying customers) in a positive way.
  6. It will spur hope!

I might be wrong. Maybe it would take a whole month to add Magincia Stall vendors. That would be bad luck.
---------------------------
Another remark - an important one:
PLEASE let me skip that window begging me for 1000 gold coins! My answer is YES and will ALWAYS be YES. YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES! No need to beg me every single time! Just stop it! It makes me mad!
You made the whole thing feel like a website, now you got to follow rules and guidelines for GOOD websites.
@Bleak The rule that applies here is:
Don't open a huge window EVERY time you click on a link before the user can go on!

This is how websites do it:
A lot of websites recently added texts saying "This site uses cookies. Using this website means you accept our cookies blah blah [OK]". The Danish Knuckleheads did that and even Google. But usually it's a rather subtle line of text which is not in the way. And usually you still can go on and read and use the website and just ignore the text (unless you need to log in for more features). That line of text only uses about 3-5% of your screen probably. A single click on "OK" usually makes the text disappear for good. Your UO window begging for 1000 gold coins, though, ...

This is a HUGE stress factor! I am sure you can easily change that - and you should REALLY change it. Think of a website that has to generate revenue. Imagine you'd open a window for every single link on your website. This would be considered hazardous on websites. If you want to inform users about 1000 gold coins used, then just add a greyish system message - this will be enough. You don't need to worry too much about players losing 1000 gold coins! But you should care a lot about good UI design.

----------------------------------

Disclaimer:
I know people will now think I over-dramatize things. That's ok. To the developers: No offense meant and I hope none is taken. In case of the window that is begging for 1000 gold coins so you can get teleported: In this case I asked for very minor change (IMHO). But a change with a good impact on the game. If it's too difficult to add magincia stall vendors - well, that's a pity. But I see no reason for the 1000g window to stay. Again, I hope noone feels offended.

Last edited:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I think the Devs have done a wonderful job on this. It seems to be working very well on my shard so far. :)

onion456

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
i used vendor search a bunch on Napa last night. worked great! ouch my bankbox is lighter now. bought stuff from a vendor near brit crossroads, didnt even know it was there before. Awesome. Thanks Devs! LOVE IT. =)

Now if we could just change the vendor fees into something reasonable, i might open one of my own! =P

and why must it charge me 1k to teleport to the vendor?!?! my answer will always be no no no! im a cheapskate =P couldnt i just recall off the map?

one thing i thought was wierd, im kinda interested in +crafting stuff, i didnt do a whole lot of playing with it but in the search criteria, in group 6, i saw '+Lumberjacking" as an option, with a box next to it, you gotta enter "1" into the box and click search... no results, enter "2" into the box and click search... seems quite unwieldly to me to have to manually choose a value. couldnt it just give me ALL +Lumberjacking items? and wheres blacksmithing? inscription?

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Half of my searches open a search result gump UNDER the main search box. When that happens, I click the search again waiting for the results, then they are already displayed, but hidden under the main window.

Can we get a fix for that? Either offset the search gump or make the results gump part of the main search gump rather than a separate window.

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
mh mh... Those New Magincia Stall Vendors... are they included or not?
if im not mistaken they said that since the item amount and values can change that it would be near impossible to add it to the search thing. im just trying to imagine how you would even do that.
if a merchant was set to buy black pearl @ 3gp per how would you display that in the vender search thing?
and would you want that in there blocking up your search results?

OR
here we go, brain storming here, what about if they added a part 2 onto the vender search, so like a 2nd page, and on said 2nd page was the bazaar merchants?
but again how would it list the merchants.

interesting.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am glad to see this operational; am glad to see them not have given up.

I must confess I'd started to wonder if this was going to be like the Virtue system.

-Galen's player

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.....let me know when you find any system on our planet that is working perfectly).
I believe our ever present Chaos would be that system... ;)
*Sorry, Arroth - couldn't resist*

Seriously tho', you're on the mark here:
.... A big Thank You to the dev team. Lots of people complained bitterly when this didn't work. Now that it does, it would be nice to see that acknowledged. .... Nicely done development team. (And yes, there appear to still be some bugs.....let me know when you find any system on our planet that is working perfectly).
From what I've briefly experienced using the new (improved) Vendor Search, it's fully here and functioning almost perfectly. It's certainly enough to completely overhaul the entire economy, which was sorely needed..So thanks for getting this done.
This feels very good!

Last edited:

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Awesome-it's working well. Thanks to the team.

P.S. Easter bunny or bunny also not seem to work--along with kitten and puppy. Did PETA get to you guys? :)

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I placed my new vendor and she is dressed for good sales:

Now I only need to give her some things to sell. :)

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be good if they would let you use the vendor search option from any house. I rent a Luna vendor and its quite annoying that when I go to my vendor to stock it up I can't call up the search window to check market prices.

I would place one at my house. Trouble is I'm down in the dirty swamp in fel and its a very high spawn area.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It would be good if they would let you use the vendor search option from any house. I rent a Luna vendor and its quite annoying that when I go to my vendor to stock it up I can't call up the search window to check market prices.

I would place one at my house. Trouble is I'm down in the dirty swamp in fel and its a very high spawn area.
How fast will items appear through vendor search if you put a fresh item onto your vendor? I imagine putting a highly desirable item (like a crimson cincture) for very little gold (like 50k) on your vendor. You then announce the great deal on General Chat and your guild awaits their victims. Would that be a viable PvP option?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How fast will items appear through vendor search if you put a fresh item onto your vendor? I imagine putting a highly desirable item (like a crimson cincture) for very little gold (like 50k) on your vendor. You then announce the great deal on General Chat and your guild awaits their victims. Would that be a viable PvP option?

Well, even in real life, when I see a deal which looks too good to be true, I am quite suspicious......

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wonder what the reasoning is by ONLY letting people search from their house or an Inn. Seems to me most people once they buy one item off a vendor generally want to search again, having to return to a 'safe' spot is to me just pain for pain sake. Not sure why you can't search where ever you happen to be. And yes, makes stocking a rental vendor the biggest pain given you are not owner or co owner of the premises where you are trying to stock.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Wonder what the reasoning is by ONLY letting people search from their house or an Inn. Seems to me most people once they buy one item off a vendor generally want to search again, having to return to a 'safe' spot is to me just pain for pain sake. ...
I agree, it is a pain. But if I understand correctly, the reason for this is because people were exploiting the maps to escape combat in PvP. This prevents that exploit, but punishes the rest of us.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wonder what the reasoning is by ONLY letting people search from their house or an Inn. Seems to me most people once they buy one item off a vendor generally want to search again, having to return to a 'safe' spot is to me just pain for pain sake. Not sure why you can't search where ever you happen to be. And yes, makes stocking a rental vendor the biggest pain given you are not owner or co owner of the premises where you are trying to stock.
I think that was the cheapest way to prevent vendor maps being used as PvP escape route. Can't see any other reason and wished they had used the usual heat of the battle mechanics. But now it's set in stone. We all know Devs don't reconsider their decisions once they have been published. When the buzz is gone and when the 3rd party sites have catched up by integrating it, vendor search will be as used as the magincia stalls. Because it's still clumsy (see UI), bugged (see kittens case above) and in some parts even worse than 3rd party sites (displaying the results).

Hope the new engineer will bring some sense for quality in. The so often mentioned QA (lol) seems to have none.

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
when i tested it on Test and Origin is was pretty much instant.
i was putting on a item then searching it and finding it right then, so id say instant.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where is a 'safe location'. I did a bit of checking, and amended the vendor search information on http://uo2.stratics.com accordingly.
It is not 'your house or an inn'.
It is your house and a guard zone. In my experiments I was able to vendor search from:

• Standing by my Pet Stall in Magincia
  • Brit farms
  • Yew Gate, Felucca
  • The entrance of the Minoc/Khaldun passage
Those last two don't exactly fit my definition of a 'safe location', but they are within a guard zone.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where is a 'safe location'. I did a bit of checking, and amended the vendor search information on http://uo2.stratics.com accordingly.
It is not 'your house or an inn'.
It is your house and a guard zone. In my experiments I was able to vendor search from:

• Standing by my Pet Stall in Magincia
  • Brit farms
  • Yew Gate, Felucca
  • The entrance of the Minoc/Khaldun passage
Those last two don't exactly fit my definition of a 'safe location', but they are within a guard zone.
Whatever, standing at my rental vendors in the Luna precinct I cannot search prior to pricing, nor when buying from other luna/tram vendors. The fact I can't even stand in the house that my rental vendors are located in to search is rather silly. Already I have found it aggravating to the max having to continually recall home after each search. Having to do all my searching and writing down prices on pieces of paper prior to going to stock is time wasting not to mention you always 'forget' one or two items when you have a bunch of things, so it is quicker to use the 'other' methods for searching especially when comparative pricing.

Prior to the 'sites' and now this vendor search, you priced by having a reasonable understanding of items and their relative prices, as there 'wasn't' anywhere to check it didn't matter if you were the dead cheapest as long as you were within the ballpark, maintained your stock, had a good rep for fairness and operated fully as a reliable merchant you could do really well. Once the 'sites' happened, it meant location had a hand in pricing, those in luna had the upper hand and people who had more money than time would pay more if it meant them not having to run to out of the way vendors. With the in game search which basically means every single player can now automatically go to the cheapest item the ability to price has now become the most critical issue when stocking vendors. The search location perameter is not well thought out. In fact it makes the thing super inefficient for day to day use.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I gather you are not friended at the location where you have vendors. Perhaps you could take that up with the house owner?

If I understand correctly the parameters the team have to work with is 'guard zone' or 'not guard zone'. The area around Luna, and Zento for that matter, is 'not guard zone'.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The parameters which the devs have to work with are those they 'set' themselves. They elected to make it this way, as another said (and no, no idea if that is accurate, hence why I asked the original question, ie 'what reasoning') due to potential abuse with maps from pvp'ers.

If that was the case it just should of been 'safe' locations in fel and anywhere in tram. The devs coded this from scratch and could of done it any way thy liked.

archiv

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they made it so you can't use the maps to escape if you're flagged anyway so the restriction that you have to be in a safe area just to search is stupid
I may not be using the maps correctly so this may sound like a silly question, but how would one have used the maps to 'escape'? I had just been using them to find the location of the vendor.