• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] TC1 Update to Pub 97 – Check out some new creatures!

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you. The problem I've had is that the pets I use all either use magery or whatever so they kill everything too fast to gain on it, and the tactics isn't high enough to even fight a disco'd shadow iron eley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, Ortanords are like Shadow Elementals for weak skills. =)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We need a griffin...
That's the Vollem.

Does anyone else keep getting pets with 25 tactics? It's happened to me on a unicorn, two dragons, a rune beetle, and a dimetrosaur .... this is annoying because I can't find anything to train them up on
Find Gregorio the Brigand at the farm near the Ranger Huts outside Skara Brae. Disarm him, and have your pet attack him. Should give gains to a pet with 25 Tactics. He's also the best thing to train Anatomy or Poisoning on for pets. For players, he's great for Anat and LJ gains.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
If you raise a Swamp Dragon's resists and put armor on it, can it have over 100 in resists?

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can we get rune corruption added to choices when upgrading the Frost mite pls? Even If adding this removes the cold wind special it would be ok. Id rather have a special that actually does something useful.

Also I highly recommend removing aura of nausea from this revamp completely as it will do nothing but harm the game in all content.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not exactly sure what a Vollem is but I am certain that it is NOT a Griffin... More of a cat with wings...
I don't remember exactly what he called it, a kitty(something?) but it was some invention of CatHat's. He talked about it jestingly on here for a while, and then some time later it appeared in game as the Vollem.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I've never thought I should see the words "excited" and "Publish 16" in the same sentence! :wall:
It removed the army of "tamers" with like 70 taming skill controlling 5-7 bought white wyrms called A,B,C,D etc, it also removed the ability of a single bard with about 40 prov skill to completely control an entire dungeon, also it introduced powerscrolls and champ spawns which I still love to do.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It had it's good and bad points...

The champ spawns were already there... the powerscrolls at least on my shard only became a "get rich quick" avenue for the already choking Zerg guild... which completely controlled all of Felucca... and with no hope of having any chance to do one everyone else on my shard was "forced" to pay through the nose for one... What that bred was disgust and distaste amongst the rest of the shard for Fel and all who played there. Something that still exists to this day. I don't expect that will change. It still breeds contempt whenever it's brought up.

And I know many other shards had the same problem...

Eventually it became a way for the top select few of that said guild to make LARGE amounts of RL cash... something they eventually were caught at... and they admitted fully to several even making a video about it... which of course added to the contempt. They were making a 3 figure income in the day off it. And not only holding my own shard "captive" but began to do this same thing on other shards. Sharing with the select few the profits... Booming business it was... so much so they could afford to pay people in other countries to do the work for them.

Exactly the reason why I am and always will be adamantly against making PS's shard bound. Don't believe me??? I'm sure the "evidence" is still out there.

Not to mention PS turned GM mages to garbage overnight... Instead of making you better it stretched out magery to 120... making it weaker at GM and forcing you to need a PS just to reliably cast a gate.

IMO Publish 16 was the beginning of the downfall of UO into a cesspool of greed.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
it also removed the ability of a single bard with about 40 prov skill to completely control an entire dungeo
:bs:

I had just finished my 3 x GM Bard (music, provo and peace) after spending countless days, weeks even months in the hills outside Delucia, provoking hinds onto great hearts and later in the somewhat safe spot at the lizardman camp in Despise.

DespiseOld.jpg

In my situation, reliability is alpha and omega. If I fizzle when casting EVs or fail an attempt to provoke two monsters to attack eachother, I'm toast.

Fortunately I had a few months with my bard, although it only felt like days, where I "ruled" the demon room in Wind. :smile2:

Then the dreadful Publish 16 hit me, like a grand piano and I haven't played my bard since. :frown2:

When the masteries came out, I trained him to 4 x Legendary, just to mothball him again.

BardSkills.png

So that day in July, 15 years ago, was the worst day in my UO life! :slap:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Put the moth balls away! My bard is one of my most fun characters. If your provo fails, have a swift invis self macro handy, use it also to wait out the timer before you can provo the next pair, you won't lose the first pair if you don't stay out of sight too long.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Put the moth balls away! My bard is one of my most fun characters. If your provo fails, have a swift invis self macro handy, use it also to wait out the timer before you can provo the next pair, you won't lose the first pair if you don't stay out of sight too long.
I might give it try some day.

With the upcoming changes to pets, I'd rather see if I have a decent tamer, on one of my accounts and try that out. :smile2:

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
These new tamables are very cool. How about a Stegosaurus?! @Kryonix

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These new tamables are very cool. How about a Stegosaurus?! @Kryonix
Ankylosaurus and Pterosaurs would be cool as well! Out of curiosity, were Vampire Bats in Eodon supposed to be renamed to Pterosaurs? In the original Savage Empire fiction, the very first encounter the Avatar gets into is with a Pterosaur.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Never been a fan of them adding dinosaurs to the game.

It made the game lose some of its luster by turning it into a hodge podge.

I would have never imagined back in 2000 you'd have the option of strolling around with a triceratops.

Sadly that's where we are at now,
and I'm afraid this publish just turned the game into "tamers online."

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I would have never imagined back in 2000 you'd have the option of strolling around with a triceratops.

Given that Savage Empire was part of Ultima since 1990, dinosaurs are less of an idiosyncrasy than Samurais are. IMO nothing wrong with tamers getting some love after being ignored for so long.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Given that Savage Empire was part of Ultima since 1990, dinosaurs are less of an idiosyncrasy than Samurais are. IMO nothing wrong with tamers getting some love after being ignored for so long.
Arguable, some ideas are just bad ones no matter the series.

You suggesting it'd be okay for them to include Martian Dreams plot into the game?

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Arguable, some ideas are just bad ones no matter the series.

You suggesting it'd be okay for them to include Martian Dreams plot into the game?
You have a point with Martian Dreams :).
I agree that design approach in the past years not infrequently appeared clumsy if not inept, but at this point I am grateful for any development at all. TBH I did not expect anything beyond bug fixes past High Seas (age of the game and dwindling pop being what they are).
Given how small the BS team is, they are actually doing amazingly well. It's easy to judge with a perfect hindsight vision and fantasy that is not restricted by a tiny budget, talent and assets available.
Personally, I thought that efforts spent on TOL would have been better directed to adding content to existing landmasses. But maybe because Savage Empire was my first Ultima experience and I still have fond memories, or because I think the TOL thematically similar to the Lost Lands, dynos don't bother me and I look forward to having one on a leash once the taming update drops.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

Yes Im not a fan of the dinosaurs either, they dont seem to really "fit" do they, with the medieval fantasy type theme.

As regards "Tamers online", along with REAL player housing, taming dragons and other massive monsters is one of the things that makes UO stand out from the other MMOs so it makes sense to play to your strengths.
Other MMOs do "pets" but they are all rubbish minion type things you keep in your pocket that do pitiful suplimentary damage already factored into whatever "class" you are, they are basically a spell.
I still remember when I first played UO and saw a player with a pet dragon, I was in awe of this, at the time I had just left old Haven and was being killed constantly by skeletons etc, I imagined if I could tame one of those Id be safe anywhere so I then trained taming for months to go and get my own dragon :D
I played a tamer for years, in more recent times other templates have surpassed tamers in power and I do like playing those too, but there is still something special about a pet dragon.

These changes arent going to make tamers all powerful again, there wont be anything my tamer can kill which I cannot kill about 5 times faster with my chiv thrower.

Fizzleton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... found also that dinosaurs are "cheap"

UO has many cool pets/monsters even with lore (eg nighty, fire steed), dinos should be left to theme parks... and WoW, of course

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Ok so I have a question...

New tameable creatures can now be found inhabiting Britannia,
  • Dragon Wolf – found guarding Level 6 treasure chests in all facets except Ter Mur
  • Frost Drake – found guarding Level 6 treasure chests
  • Frost Dragon – found guarding Level 7 treasure chests in Trammel or Felucca
Now... My question is.... NONE of these have EVER been tamable before... So does that mean that All Mobs that spawn from T-Maps are tamable now???? Because Greater Dragons and Dragons also spawn from T-Maps, or is it just these three are tamable??? Either way.... I know what I'm going to be doing soon....

And my other question is... if you are adding these to tameables could you PLEASE pretty please let us tame things at Champ Spawns... ie taming Hiryu, Dragons, Greater Dragons, Those pretty new Pheonix's from Eodon, and Dread Spiders etc...????? And Tame creatures at the Peerless Encounters in the Abyss so I can tame a Fairy Dragon please?!?!?

Do you have any official link to this announcement or was that a joke?
After finally getting a diabolical map on europa then character copying over to use it to spawn a frost dragon I get this:
frost dragon.jpg

Thats a 120 tamer, but this message is a default for a non tameable isnt it anyway.

EDIT: NVM, Im an idiot, I found the notes where it says that should be tameable, Ill email them

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think we might find that not all frost dragons can be tamed, there's some flexibility in the slot requirements. Most nightmares on test are 3 slot, but it's possible to find a really wimpy one that's only 2 slot - found one in Malas yesterday. Frost dragons have really high hp stats ( Frost Dragon - Stratics Community Wiki | Stratics Community Forums ) so if one spawns that's beyond the maximum power for a 5 slot pet, it's not tameable. That's my theory anyway, does it make any sense?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Do you have any official link to this announcement or was that a joke?
After finally getting a diabolical map on europa then character copying over to use it to spawn a frost dragon I get this:
View attachment 64902

Thats a 120 tamer, but this message is a default for a non tameable isnt it anyway.

EDIT: NVM, Im an idiot, I found the notes where it says that should be tameable, Ill email them
Rather figured that would be the case... they need to fix that... Thank you for testing.

They need to allow taming of those as well as allowing us to tame creatures at Champ spawns and Peerless adventures.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I hope Frost dragons arent the disappointment that shadow wyrms are once can finally tame one, incidently - All hail the Nightmare
frosty2-.jpg

No vetting done, consume damage active, mare still at around 70% once the dragon died, given how Frost Dragons rip GDs a new one really easily, I think its possible the new trained pets are better than GDs

Mr. Smither1

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know if this has been addressed but will a char with bushido be able to use a trained up a lesser hiru or a necro mage with summon a dark wolf control trained hell hounds, or a 2 slot and 3 slot trained up tiger cubs?

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know if this has been addressed but will a char with bushido be able to use a trained up a lesser hiru or a necro mage with summon a dark wolf control trained hell hounds, or a 2 slot and 3 slot trained up tiger cubs?
Think I read somewhere that its not possible - once you start training, you need taming - and it raises taming requirements.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, as the slot requirement goes up so does the taming requirement.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
  • Samurais can no longer control customized lesser hiryu.
  • Necromancers can no longer control customized wolves.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@WhiteWitch - did you by any chance see a Dragon Wolf when you were digging 6s to get a 7? I'm up to 5 maps dug and not seen one yet - have gotten my first 7 map though. Not dug it.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doh! I must have missed seeing that, thanks. Does anyone know of anywhere you can get a weaving circle on test please?

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
@WhiteWitch - did you by any chance see a Dragon Wolf when you were digging 6s to get a 7? I'm up to 5 maps dug and not seen one yet - have gotten my first 7 map though. Not dug it.
I was digging up lvl 6s on Europa(where I had a stack of them), then once I got a diabolical in the chest I put it in the inventory of a char I then copied to test centre, I dont think you get dragon wolves on chest on regular prod shards yet.

I did speak to a guy on main on TC a few days ago who said he spawned a Dragon wolf and it had the same "That creature cannot be tamed" message I got with the Frost Dragon above, infact it was him saying this on main that made me want to test Frost dragons to see if they worked ok.

Thanks for the info on where to get lvl 7s on TC Mandrake btw.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got a frost dragon! I think I'm right, the one you spawned was too powerful. I actually spawned 2, someone else is still trying to tame the other, but I ran out of time. Hope he doesn't die too often trying to catch it :D He's on the coast north of the Vesper 2 mainland shops

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I think we might find that not all frost dragons can be tamed, there's some flexibility in the slot requirements. Most nightmares on test are 3 slot, but it's possible to find a really wimpy one that's only 2 slot - found one in Malas yesterday. Frost dragons have really high hp stats ( Frost Dragon - Stratics Community Wiki | Stratics Community Forums ) so if one spawns that's beyond the maximum power for a 5 slot pet, it's not tameable. That's my theory anyway, does it make any sense?
You could be right, I tamed this one on a new lev7 map just now.

frosty3.jpg

If you dont at first succeed etc etc, the only other difference that I can see between this succesful tame and the previous "you cant tame that" is that I actually tamed this with the same char that I dug the chest up with, on the previous attempt I had used my regular treasure hunter to dig the chest then brought this gargoyle in to tame the dragon as a garg is a whole lot easier to use than a human on foot, so maybe the tamer of the T map spawned pets needs to be the actual treasure hunter who dug up the chest?

It seems its either this or Petras theory that these spawn with more than 5 slots sometimes.

Anyway its basically a nice blue GD with 50% cold and 50% phys damage, it seems to have no other differences and its cold area effect is not listed in its knowledge, just the same things a GD has.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hopefully they spawn with a 4 slots occasionally too so that they could be customized. Ofc even if you occasionally do get a 4 slot one, finding it will be as much of a PIA as getting a good turtle. I think if frost mites with their 100% cold damage can be made to turn out decent DPS, frost dragons might be not worth the effort.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You could be right, I tamed this one on a new lev7 map just now.

If you dont at first succeed etc etc, the only other difference that I can see between this succesful tame and the previous "you cant tame that" is that I actually tamed this with the same char that I dug the chest up with, on the previous attempt I had used my regular treasure hunter to dig the chest then brought this gargoyle in to tame the dragon as a garg is a whole lot easier to use than a human on foot, so maybe the tamer of the T map spawned pets needs to be the actual treasure hunter who dug up the chest?

It seems its either this or Petras theory that these spawn with more than 5 slots sometimes.

Anyway its basically a nice blue GD with 50% cold and 50% phys damage, it seems to have no other differences and its cold area effect is not listed in its knowledge, just the same things a GD has.
Nope, my treasure hunter is a mystic spellweaver - and can't find a circle to cast on! I cleared out the other spawn then marked a rune, recalled out and passed it on to my tamer

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe, but I'm not playing that game. WhiteWitch knows I was answering her theory that only the t hunter could tame it.

Here's the one I caught btw, wish I could take him home to Europa!
View attachment 64923
Underwhelming str numbers on these. What's the damage output in comparison to GD? Have you tested it out much?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Underwhelming str numbers on these. What's the damage output in comparison to GD? Have you tested it out much?
Not done much with it at all up to yet. Is it fair to compare a fully trained GD with a fresh tamed FD that hasn't maxed its skills yet?

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I hunted a bit in Destard with Frosty earlier, I really notice no difference to using a GD in power etc, both are way less effective than my 5 slot Nightmare.

Right now my biggest issue with the patch is this:

"All pet damage is now reduced by 50% when targeting players."

I took a GD to Fel and ordered it to attack me, a mage tamer with no wrestle and no resist, I could literally stand infront of it casting 1st circle heals on myself, very occasionally having to move a few spaces away to do a g-heal, thats pathetic, your GD is now about as effective as a random harpy or imp that might have locked onto the opposing player in PvP.

Now Im no fan of using a tamer for PvP, particularly the dismount-dreadmare type, but some of us go monster hunting with a tamer on Seige, or in Fel, and if we are attacked we need to try to defend ourselves.
Any half decent PK knows how easy it is to kill a tamer with a GD already, the tamer is often on foot, he will either lack resist or wrestle, or both, his own spell damage increase is capped at half that of a player without animal taming skill, and the GD is very easy to avoid or lead away, after this patch tamers go from being an easy kill to a free one.

A blanket 50% damage nerf is a ridiculously blunt instrument, this new training has NOT doubled the damage pets do, in the case of GDs it has not changed at all, so why halve it?!?

The only thing I can see that really affects PvP balance from how it is now would be these special abilities that can be trained, no doubt dedicated PvPers will quickly find which of those can be used tactically like dismount and mortal stike, things which a 50% damage reduction make no difference to and can be trained to a regular horse!

So rather than using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, how about adressing the things that will actually be the problem after the patch.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When it comes to 'check out new creatures' I'm still trying, with very little success, to check out the dragon wolf. I haven't even seen one yet! I've dug 12 level 6 maps, 1 Ilsh, 1 Fel 10 tram. What does it look like? How much taming does it require? What are the stats like?
*goes to dig No. 13*

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also did about 10 level 6 treasure maps and havent found any dragon wolf or seen at any player. I guess its bugged and doesnt spawn atm.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do we know how final damage is calculated yet. Is the str applied on top of base damage?