• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 97 Update to TC1

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It is 30% reduction now, not 50%.

Again it's not even about the pet damage. The smart pvp tamer will focus on doing most of the damage themselves rather than the pet doing most of the damage in the next publish. The strategy is to let your pet debuff your opponent, while you mow them down when their resists are cut in half.

While loose pets are hard to keep alive now, in the next pub you can double their hp and give them 80 in all resists.
I think you can get 80 in 3 resists, and then a combo of 125 in the other 2. Say maybe 65 and then 60. Or 4 80's and 1 at 45%.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Again it's not even about the pet damage. The smart pvp tamer will focus on doing most of the damage themselves rather than the pet doing most of the damage in the next publish. The strategy is to let your pet debuff your opponent, while you mow them down when their resists are cut in half.

While loose pets are hard to keep alive now, in the next pub you can double their hp and give them 80 in all resists.
You cannot give 80 to all resist, there are point caps. The most popular pvp weapons got AI, and there is beetle slayer. You can keep alive by leeching a lot of life from the high hp beeltes.

If I have time, I will test the latest 30% damage reduction version.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

No, you can't give them 80 in all resists. The cap on resists is 365 - 1095 training points. 80 x 5= 400.

This thread is absolutely full of misinformation. I suggest anyone who hasn't been on test and wants to know how the thing works read the wiki page Miss Echo linked to in a thread she posted.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try this: take him somewhere you won't affect others, cast 'arch protection', then tell him 'stay', move away from him and toggle the protection on yourself back off?

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my advice,
arch protection will probably do nothing, let the pet die, or cast purge magic on it, but that is not the issue, it shouldn'r do that in the first place. But no doubt petra will call the a feature and not a bug

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I think you can get 80 in 3 resists, and then a combo of 125 in the other 2. Say maybe 65 and then 60. Or 4 80's and 1 at 45%.
I would probably go with 4 resists at 80 and cold resist at 45. Should be good to keep the beetle well protected.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You cannot give 80 to all resist, there are point caps. The most popular pvp weapons got AI, and there is beetle slayer. You can keep alive by leeching a lot of life from the high hp beeltes.

If I have time, I will test the latest 30% damage reduction version.
make sure to have an archer hitting you at the same time

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I am reading the new pet training wiki entry and have a question regarding damage. It says that base DPS is capped at 22 which translates to base damage as shown in the gump of 24-33.
Should not the DPS be affected by Str and Dex? If so - does it mean that there is no point of getting more Str or Dex after some point? Or is 22 the max DPS based on max Str and Dex?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is still unclear how much skill it takes to control a pet once you begin training it. There are two issues with that

1. You could train your pet past your skill level, thus making it uncontrollable.

2. You have a finite amount if skill to dedicate and want to choose the proper pet vs proper abilities.

If you need high skill for a trained chicken and a trained hiryu, obviously you choose the hiryu. But if u could make a survivable trained chicken with 60 taming/lore that might be useful.

Nothing shows how much skill an animal takes to control in any fashion. @Kyronix

Could it be added to show on lore screen maybe your chance to control that pet based on your skill level?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I am reading the new pet training wiki entry and have a question regarding damage. It says that base DPS is capped at 22 which translates to base damage as shown in the gump of 24-33.
Should not the DPS be affected by Str and Dex? If so - does it mean that there is no point of getting more Str or Dex after some point? Or is 22 the max DPS based on max Str and Dex?
I've seen no mention of dps being capped. Base damage is capped at 22-33 (or something like that). Str, tactics, anatomy effect their damage just like they do players. As for dex, swing speed will hit max speed with 150 stamina (maybe before) so the only reason to have more than 150 is their movement speed.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've seen no mention of dps being capped. Base damage is capped at 22-33 (or something like that). Str, tactics, anatomy effect their damage just like they do players. As for dex, swing speed will hit max speed with 150 stamina (maybe before) so the only reason to have more than 150 is their movement speed.
This is from the page I linked above:
"Base damage per second is capped based on slot level, the maximum of 22 only being attainable when options are applied to a 4 slot pet, raising it to 5 slot. This figure is not the same as the base damage figure shown on the animal lore gump, base damage per second of 22 will show on the pet’s lore gump as base damage 24 – 33"

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is from the page I linked above:
"Base damage per second is capped based on slot level, the maximum of 22 only being attainable when options are applied to a 4 slot pet, raising it to 5 slot. This figure is not the same as the base damage figure shown on the animal lore gump, base damage per second of 22 will show on the pet’s lore gump as base damage 24 – 33"
First of all unless something was changed and not noted, you can get to base 24-33 on any pet you leveled up, it's not slot based, so that's wrong. Second of all that dps is, like weapons based on the base damage, not the actual damage the pet does in relation to it's stats or its target.

I mean just playing the game you know that pet dps is not 22.

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First of all unless something was changed and not noted, you can get to base 24-33 on any pet you leveled up, it's not slot based, so that's wrong. Second of all that dps is, like weapons based on the base damage, not the actual damage the pet does in relation to it's stats or its target.

I mean just playing the game you know that pet dps is not 22.
It was changed, and it was noted:
Mob base damage per second capped based on slot level.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
OK, I FINALLY got an answer from a Dev on the "gate bug" allowing the 5263 training points at the end. @Bleak confirmed that it IS a bug and you will not get those points when it goes "live. TY @Bleak for confirming. Now the bad news. I have spent probably 50-60 hours testing stuff and my opinion is that with the current training points we get (not counting the "bugged" points) there is no way to raise a pet up to the standard of a GD or Turtle. I hope I am missing something, but I really don't think so. I think there might be a VERY specialized use for something on occasion, but overall I now get the feeling this whole "revamp" is a (for the most part) waste of time. I think it will still be GD's and Turtle 95% of the time. Again, if I am missing something please let me know. I would be happy to be proven wrong! :)

805connection

Sage
Stratics Veteran
OK, I FINALLY got an answer from a Dev on the "gate bug" allowing the 5263 training points at the end. @Bleak confirmed that it IS a bug and you will not get those points when it goes "live. TY @Bleak for confirming. Now the bad news. I have spent probably 50-60 hours testing stuff and my opinion is that with the current training points we get (not counting the "bugged" points) there is no way to raise a pet up to the standard of a GD or Turtle. I hope I am missing something, but I really don't think so. I think there might be a VERY specialized use for something on occasion, but overall I now get the feeling this whole "revamp" is a (for the most part) waste of time. I think it will still be GD's and Turtle 95% of the time. Again, if I am missing something please let me know. I would be happy to be proven wrong! :)
thinking necro fire steeds with pet mastery

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
That bug has rather unbalanced the testing and peoples ideas about the outcome of this patch hasnt it :S

Still, my only real plans after this hits remain to get my gargoyle a nice blue GD(frost dragon), train up the Nightmare belonging to my human treasure hunter tamer so no more pads of the cu sidhe or walking with a GD.

Oh and of course - give up hunting with a tamer on Siege, archer or thrower all the way now I suppose.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Because a mage/tamer is a sitting duck now thanks to having all the damage reduced. IMO if it wasn't a problem before and supposedly NOTHING is going to be stronger etc... than a GD... then what do we need a 30% damage reduction for?????

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Even with the damage reduction against players, I still think a pet will be viable on Siege....they will still be attacking and still be able to detract from the tamer....if you wish to play that way. I know I'm not giving up hunting with my tamer on Siege....if someone attacks me, I sic my pet on them and either blast them with spells or run away lol...either way they will be busy with my pet allowing me to either fight or flee. Another reason I don't like the GD's...if you're not a gargoyle you need a mount to run away on ;) I have several human tamers because I like to ride my pets into battle.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because a mage/tamer is a sitting duck now thanks to having all the damage reduced. IMO if it wasn't a problem before and supposedly NOTHING is going to be stronger etc... than a GD... then what do we need a 30% damage reduction for?????
Let's be honest, you were already a sitting duck, that damage change will make little to no difference. On the plus side you can now have pets that disarm/dismount, etc which would give you a much better chance to escape than a GD gives right now, IMO.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even with the damage reduction against players, I still think a pet will be viable on Siege....they will still be attacking and still be able to detract from the tamer....if you wish to play that way. I know I'm not giving up hunting with my tamer on Siege....if someone attacks me, I sic my pet on them and either blast them with spells or run away lol...either way they will be busy with my pet allowing me to either fight or flee. Another reason I don't like the GD's...if you're not a gargoyle you need a mount to run away on ;) I have several human tamers because I like to ride my pets into battle.
My GD has never saved me from a pk. Really only hiding will save you if you are on foot as most tamers are, unless the pk is terrible. I might consider rocking dismount on my pets on siege though, because it might actually allow you to run away.

A dismount/disarm phoenix with 200+ stamina actually seems pretty dangerous. Like a much more deadly revenant.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My GD has never saved me from a pk. Really only hiding will save you if you are on foot as most tamers are, unless the pk is terrible. I might consider rocking dismount on my pets on siege though, because it might actually allow you to run away.

A dismount/disarm phoenix with 200+ stamina actually seems pretty dangerous. Like a much more deadly revenant.
Sorry, stamina is capped at 150 :D

redman2k

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That bug has rather unbalanced the testing and peoples ideas about the outcome of this patch hasnt it :S

Still, my only real plans after this hits remain to get my gargoyle a nice blue GD(frost dragon), train up the Nightmare belonging to my human treasure hunter tamer so no more pads of the cu sidhe or walking with a GD.

Oh and of course - give up hunting with a tamer on Siege, archer or thrower all the way now I suppose.
Yeah, I was super exicted to start training some low level animals and maxing out their base damage and hp to take hunting in groups, but they added a bunch of limitations (that are probably warranted), so it looks like the GD is where it will continue to be at. :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well yes, if it spawns above cap all well and good, I didn't actually look up the phoenix, but if it's below 150, you can't raise it higher.

And now I have looked it up, yes a 200 stamina phoenix is entirely possible, in fact stamina on phoenix is 202 - 300!

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yeah, I was super exicted to start training some low level animals and maxing out their base damage and hp to take hunting in groups, but they added a bunch of limitations (that are probably warranted), so it looks like the GD is where it will continue to be at. :)
Yeppers. After all of this, we are right back where we started, GD's and Turtles win! We could have saved weeks of (pretty much) wasted time and effort. Between the bugs and changes, I am fairly disappointed in this whole thing. I will give it a shot when it goes live, but I am not getting my hopes up.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They should have just opened it up to Tiered system off the Fame level of the animal, allow for some variety. Like many have said, yes you can train any animal you want .....but you wont bother as GD and Turtle are still gonna be the "big dogs".
Not much of a Pet re-vamp really....

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i dont see why anyone states the GD/Turtle will still be the place to go. In many ways you can make much tankier pets now

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Your pet might be tankier, but it won't have the same damage output, which leaves GDs as the top tier pets and everything else in niches.
I trained a WW to max and found the end result very underwhelming.
Without those last 5000 points, the whole thing just isn't worth it, unless you're looking for pets for very specific jobs.

Sad, but it can't be helped. Had been looking forward to this patch :/

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i dont see why anyone states the GD/Turtle will still be the place to go. In many ways you can make much tankier pets now
From the testing I have done I don't see where enough points are available to "raise" them to the overall level of a nice GD or Turtle. I am still testing though. :)

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Your pet might be tankier, but it won't have the same damage output, which leaves GDs as the top tier pets and everything else in niches.
Without those last 5000 points, the whole thing just isn't worth it, unless you're looking for pets for very specific jobs.

Exactly what my guild was discussing. With pretty much the same results. :(

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It was said many times this new pet revamp was only going to make taming better or more fun to do if we could have other pets equal to GD but the GD lovers ruined that so basically we have more useless pets to tame.

Epic waste of time imho

So em events remain the same all you see is GD wtf

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The reason for the turtle was the GD's overwhelming power, which made us all get one.
Unfortunately, Turtles seem to be very weak-sauce in comparison, never seen one 4.0+, so that undertaking was an exercise in futility - as is this revamp. Still no alternatives to the GD, means I'll keep my 4.1er.

I had hoped for a self-sustaining tank for my Archer/Tamer, maybe with features like Armor Corruption or Discord.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't understand why they didn't make shadow dragons equal to GD

Huge disappointment

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I wanted something small that let me loot my stuff without having to park it a few meters away. Hence my Skree ;)
However, without those last 5000 points, it won't be as good as a GD by a huge margin.

I had tamed a bunch of interesting looking creatures in preparation for the patch, but I don't think it'll be worth it in the end, maybe with the exception of my Cu.

Request: Give us the means to shrink our GDs.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Request: Give us the means to shrink our GDs.
The shrunk GD is the Turtle. Turtles aren't weaker than GDs. They are pretty much GD copy with different visuals. The problem with the turtles is the egg system. With GDs, if you know what you are doing, you can probably kill one every 2 minutes until you spawn that 4+ you are looking for. With a turtle, its an hour long spawn for a _chance_ at an egg. So if on average it would take you 2 weeks to find a good GD, with turtles it's more like two years. Which is why nobody bothers.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well yes, if it spawns above cap all well and good, I didn't actually look up the phoenix, but if it's below 150, you can't raise it higher.

And now I have looked it up, yes a 200 stamina phoenix is entirely possible, in fact stamina on phoenix is 202 - 300!
Seriously though I think high stamina Phoenix is the next abused thing. Something that can dismount, and disarm/armor ignore, whatever, that you might have trouble outpacing even when mounted... They might wanna lower its stats a bit.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The shrunk GD is the Turtle. Turtles aren't weaker than GDs. They are pretty much GD copy with different visuals. The problem with the turtles is the egg system. With GDs, if you know what you are doing, you can probably kill one every 2 minutes until you spawn that 4+ you are looking for. With a turtle, its an hour long spawn for a _chance_ at an egg. So if on average it would take you 2 weeks to find a good GD, with turtles it's more like two years. Which is why nobody bothers.
Well, there's also the fact that they (IMO anyway) look ridiculous. Even if I had one with great stats I'd never use it.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

I have done a pretty fair amount of testing and my thought is, we could do without the 5K points from the "bug?" at the end. BUT, adding, say, another 500 points to each level, would do wonders to equalizing some other pets to "match" GD's and Turtles. Without going overboard. How about it @Kyronix @Bleak ?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does any of this help at all?

There's several vids in the playlist, you could skip to the end one if you find them boring. Cu sidhe versus paragon greater dragon

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I had a 270+ DEX/Stam Phoenix follow someone the other day and had them try to run away from it, and even when on mount, the Phoenix stuck to them like white on rice. The only way they could get away from it, is if they got it stuck on something.

You can make pets tankier than GDs, or you can make pets have higher DPS than a GD. A leveled Cu Sidhe or Saurosaurus can out tank any GD. Rune Beetles will easily out damage GDs. A Fire Beetle with Rune Corruption and Armor Ignore will smoke any GD/DTH in terms of damage output, especially if someone uses Corpse Skin on the target. Tsuki Wolves are pretty good too, give them Necromancy, Life Leech, and Armor Ignore, and they can dish out some hefty damage, and tank some too due to the Life Leech. They can also spawn with up to 200 DEX/Stam. Only problem with them is that they lower their own melee damage output when they cast Corpse Skin.

Dread Spiders can also out DPS a GD/DTH. I just finished training a Dread Spider, and i'm fairly impressed with their damage output. Got him up to 400 Health/165 Stamina/700 Mana, 300 STR/165 DEX/290 INT, 20 SR/30 MR, 80/80/42/100/63, 24-33 Base Damage, 120 Wrest/GM Tact/120 Resist/120 Anat/GM Poisoning/120 Parry/GM Magery/120 Eval/120 Med/30s Necro (caps at GM)/75 SS (caps at 120)/120 Focus. I also gave him Necromage (after GMing his Poisoning), Armor Ignore and Poison Breath abilities. This is all without the +5k Training Points from the Training Gate bug. His Corpse Skin ups his melee damage, since he does 80% Poison Damage. His Poison Strike has a 9% chance to inflict Greater Poison on any target hit by it, due to his GM Poisoning. His Poison Breath inflicts Lethal Poison on any foes near him due to his GM Poisoning.

Conduit doesn't seem to be working for pets correctly, they cast it, and none of their single target Necro spells will chain in it.
Shadow Wyrms need to be able to reach 120 Wrest and have Corpse Skin removed from them, in order to compete. With just those two changes, they'll out damage GDs, but not be as tanky as GDs (an even trade off i say).

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I had a 270+ DEX/Stam Phoenix follow someone the other day and had them try to run away from it, and even when on mount, the Phoenix stuck to them like white on rice. The only way they could get away from it, is if they got it stuck on something.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can make pets tankier than GDs, or you can make pets have higher DPS than a GD. A leveled Cu Sidhe or Saurosaurus can out tank any GD. Rune Beetles will easily out damage GDs. A Fire Beetle with Rune Corruption and Armor Ignore will smoke any GD/DTH in terms of damage output, especially if someone uses Corpse Skin on the target. Tsuki Wolves are pretty good too, give them Necromancy, Life Leech, and Armor Ignore, and they can dish out some hefty damage, and tank some too due to the Life Leech. They can also spawn with up to 200 DEX/Stam. Only problem with them is that they lower their own melee damage output when they cast Corpse Skin.

Dread Spiders can also out DPS a GD/DTH. I just finished training a Dread Spider, and i'm fairly impressed with their damage output. Got him up to 400 Health/165 Stamina/700 Mana, 300 STR/165 DEX/290 INT, 20 SR/30 MR, 80/80/42/100/63, 24-33 Base Damage, 120 Wrest/GM Tact/120 Resist/120 Anat/GM Poisoning/120 Parry/GM Magery/120 Eval/120 Med/30s Necro (caps at GM)/75 SS (caps at 120)/120 Focus. I also gave him Necromage (after GMing his Poisoning), Armor Ignore and Poison Breath abilities. This is all without the +5k Training Points from the Training Gate bug. His Corpse Skin ups his melee damage, since he does 80% Poison Damage. His Poison Strike has a 9% chance to inflict Greater Poison on any target hit by it, due to his GM Poisoning. His Poison Breath inflicts Lethal Poison on any foes near him due to his GM Poisoning.

Conduit doesn't seem to be working for pets correctly, they cast it, and none of their single target Necro spells will chain in it.
Shadow Wyrms need to be able to reach 120 Wrest and have Corpse Skin removed from them, in order to compete. With just those two changes, they'll out damage GDs, but not be as tanky as GDs (an even trade off i say).
Thanks for all these informative posts, sir!