• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 94 Update to TC1

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings everyone, By 5:00pm ET 7/29/2016 we will be pushing a new update of Publish 94 to TC1. The notes can be found here and be sure to send us feedback here. Please note that you may encounter CliLoc errors until an updated client is deployed later in the publish cycle. See you in Britannia, UO Team

Continue reading...

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
From the notes:

"The loot for all Shadowguard bosses has been normalized so that loot is standard regardless of which of the Shadowguard bosses is encountered last."

This makes me a little sad. While it was a pain in the butt to have to enter and exit the Roof encounter until getting either Virtuebane or Juo'nar last, I am really hoping this didn't end up with a massive loot nerf...

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From the notes:

"The loot for all Shadowguard bosses has been normalized so that loot is standard regardless of which of the Shadowguard bosses is encountered last."

This makes me a little sad. While it was a pain in the butt to have to enter and exit the Roof encounter until getting either Virtuebane or Juo'nar last, I am really hoping this didn't end up with a massive loot nerf...
All the final bosses were brought up to match the boss with the best loot package. We didn't nerf any of the existing ones.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thunderstorm fixed? THANK GOD. Does this also apply to things that break line of sight, such as Wall of Stone?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thunderstorm = based on publish notes say "Thunderstorm can no longer hit people Outside of houses while casted from inside".

That's not what the problem was it was the opposite... hitting people inside from outside without line-of-sight was the problem.

Thanks for for fixing the LMC bugged characters!

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thunderstorm = based on publish notes say "Thunderstorm can no longer hit people Outside of houses while casted from inside".

That's not what the problem was it was the opposite... hitting people inside from outside without line-of-sight was the problem.

I should've read it better then.

Attachments

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thunderstorm is fixed in both cases.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Miscellaneous Changes

• “Stone Only” can now be set on mining tools to only dig up High Quality Granite. Niter and specialty gems can also be dug up.
1) The gump on the mining tool doesn't reflect what you are set for properly. When set for only stone it still says mining ore.
2) Not sure if the mining part is working as intended. You seem to fail a lot and don't mine up anything, unlike when mining for sand for instance where you always get sand. Seems all you really did was disable getting ore. Not what we really wanted.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Silly people, yall thought they were gonna take the grind and repitition out of it?

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
@Bleak Does that mean that people cant cast poison fields or cast EV's inside the house either?? or kill people inside their house with Explosion pots?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1) The gump on the mining tool doesn't reflect what you are set for properly. When set for only stone it still says mining ore.
2) Not sure if the mining part is working as intended. You seem to fail a lot and don't mine up anything, unlike when mining for sand for instance where you always get sand. Seems all you really did was disable getting ore. Not what we really wanted.
What resource gathering books have you read besides "Mining for High Quality Granite", if any?

There is a base 10% chance to find high quality granite. Previously, while mining for granite you were almost always (since you are at least GM mining) guaranteed to dig up metal if you failed to find granite, using up the metal in the resource chunk relatively quickly. Now that you can't mine up metal with the new tool setting you are guaranteed to pull only granite out of the resource chunk, resulting in much higher overall granite yields from a single resource chunk. The success rates have not changed.

Last edited:

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
20 second immunity timer for mortal strike? Are you guys serious? That's absolutely ********. Why not just get rid of mortal strike altogether? Devs making another special move absolutely useless again

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Please make the immunity timer for mortal strike much shorter. Melee shouldn't even be penalized with a immunity timer. Why is Melee getting nerfed? The problem is archers being OP. If anything Melee should be buffed.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
What resource gathering books have you read besides "Mining for High Quality Granite", if any?

There is a base 10% chance to find high quality granite. Previously, while mining for granite you were almost always (since you are at least GM mining) guaranteed to dig up metal if you failed to find granite, using up the metal in the resource chunk relatively quickly. Now that you can't mine up metal with the new tool setting you are guaranteed to pull only granite out of the resource chunk, resulting in much higher overall granite yields from a single resource chunk. The success rates have not changed.
There are 2 books

Mining for Quality Stone
And
Making Valuables with Stonecrafting

I ate them both ( You need to be a GM Carpenter to use the second one)

While your tool is set to mining ore, you get ore every time (if you're GM Mining) until there is no metal left to mine.

While your tool is set to mine stone, you get a lot of *Error (MegaCliloc) : StringId Not Found* Which I assume is You fail to find any stone

In theory, since every time you mine set to ore, you get ore, then every time you mine set to stone ,you should get stone, until the area is mined out.

That 10% chance to get granite while mining for ore AND granite makes sense...but if you're just mining for stone, you should get at least one every time.

I just went through a 50 use pickaxe and got 4 stones....

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The mining option is more of a penalty IMO. it needs to at least have a higher chance to get stone if that's the only thing you're mining for. otherwise you're just giving up more resources to get the same amount of stone with less "moving" to the next mining spot... This is not what people had in mind.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The mining option is more of a penalty IMO. it needs to at least have a higher chance to get stone if that's the only thing you're mining for. otherwise you're just giving up more resources to get the same amount of stone with less "moving" to the next mining spot... This is not what people had in mind.
You're netting more stone per resource chunk than you would have previously because you aren't removing metal from the resource chunk with each unsuccesful attempt at mining stone. What exactly is your expectation here?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You're netting more stone per resource chunk than you would have previously because you aren't removing metal from the resource chunk with each unsuccesful attempt at mining stone. What exactly is your expectation here?
To be able to reliably mine useable amounts of granite without an inordinate amount of carpal tunnel inducing tedium. Not everything needs to be a massive time sink. The granite to time ratio needs to be balanced enough that its not just going to be script bots dominating the market.

If you look at the cost in materials for the most-crafted stone objects, they tend to require a fair amount of granite. The addition of the castle tiles has sapped many shards of their supply. Sapping people's will by continuing the grind is ultimately self-defeating.

I just went through a 50 use pickaxe and got 4 stones....
That's not a good thing.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To be able to reliably mine useable amounts of granite without an inordinate amount of carpal tunnel inducing tedium. Not everything needs to be a massive time sink. The granite to time ratio needs to be balanced enough that its not just going to be script bots dominating the market.

If you look at the cost in materials for the most-crafted stone objects, they tend to require a fair amount of granite. The addition of the castle tiles has sapped many shards of their supply. Sapping people's will by continuing the grind is ultimately self-defeating.

That's not a good thing.
What do you consider a useable amount of granite? 100 units in ten minutes? 1000? The granite supply has been the way its been for quite a while, and while I'll grant the recent castle additions have spiked granite demand, cranking up the supply to 11 isn't something to be done lightly without consideration. As far as the tedium of resource gathering - this is resource gathering we are talking about, not exactly the most riveting gameplay to begin with. The resource gathering actions in the EC have certainly taken the carpal tunnel edge out of the process, but I see your point.

In the 4 granite in 50 use example, previously there could be a chance of getting 0 granite in 50 uses. Now that ore isn't being extracted that is no longer a possibility.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Okay so another test. (I get what you're saying Kyronix, and I think it's working like you said)

one 50-Use Shovel set to mine ore and stone

5 areas total

Area 1 - 3 granite/ 20 Ore
Area 2 - 6 granite/ 14 Ore
Area 3 - 6 granite/ 19 Ore
Area 4 - 3 granite/ 14 Ore
Area 5 - 3 granite/ 14 Ore

So total for 1 50 - Use Shovel netted me 21 Granite

NOW I set to mine JUST stone
In ONE area, I used a full 50 - Use Shovel and 46 Uses of another one and netted 41 Granite.

So, yes...you do get more stone from one area, you go through more shovels, but you do get more granite....so I think that's a decent trade.

(Side note, I am mining in Fel)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm sorry but I don't see that as a good trade off at all...

Honestly it doesn't need to be huge numbers Kyronix but these levels are too low... should be able double that...

Lets talk about what you use it for and what your making and trust me you lose about half of what you mine just trying to make something in the first place and this is with all the talisman bonus's you can get and whatnot... honestly when you lose half of what you get in the first place just in crafting... especially with the higher level stones... it really should be a higher yield.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i hope that 120 necro will have a higher effect on corpse skin, rather than requiring 120 necro just to get what we have now.

being able to cast corpse skin at low levels of necromancy was one of the things that kept the skill from being all but worthless. (basically worthless anyway because just about everyone is overcapped in fire / poison anyway)

if you actually have devoted 240 skill points to necro / spirit speak, corpse skin would have to reduce resists by at least 30 to even be worth casting it, let alone worth the skill points. it would need to reduce by about 40 to be worth the skill point investment now since resists in most suits are sky high now.

that or remove the ability to overcap resists.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
when you set a tinker kit for repair, it becomes a repair kit. There's no way back, you can't craft with it - but the setting only affects that one kit. So a second kit is needed to craft with.

Mining, I'm relatively happy with. I use EC so carpal tunnel isn't a problem. The only frustration I have at the moment is I don't know what I'm mining. Getting a plain stone could mean I'm mining iron - but I could also be mining a colour and just haven't unearthed a stone of that colour yet. I've no way to tell.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mining, I'm relatively happy with. I use EC so carpal tunnel isn't a problem. The only frustration I have at the moment is I don't know what I'm mining. Getting a plain stone could mean I'm mining iron - but I could also be mining a colour and just haven't unearthed a stone of that colour yet. I've no way to tell.
Can you just mine normally until you get the first colored ore? Then you will know what color is in that resource "chunk" (I love this new "chunk" word!) and if you want that color stone, switch to mining stone. If you don't want that color, move to a different resource "chunk". Repeat this process until you find the color you want.

With the increase in amount of stone possible per resource "chunk", it should be fairly easy to find and mine all the stone, in any color, we could want.

Actually, that adds a bit of gameplay to the mining process.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Thunderstorm is fixed in both cases.
Hey man, what is the spawn count numbers now for the first level?

Please also remove your damage tweaks from mortal strike and set immunity timer to 12 using the same 6 second player length.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Don't listen to these guys @Kyronix. If anything I think you should make mining even more tedious and demanding than it is now, not less. After all, that will discourage casuals with mules from mining, and make sure that mining is the province of dedicated true miners. That will totally benefit the game, even if you come to the forum and see nothing but posts about how much everyone hates mining anymore.

I mean, that was the plan with crafting, so why not resource gathering? Tee hee.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I actually like mining, it's very relaxing...and this new change will be NICE! I mean....in my test I had to move 5 times to get 21 granite...second test I didn't have to move once and got 41...MUCH happier miner here :) Can't wait till this hits Origin!

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I actually like mining, it's very relaxing...and this new change will be NICE! I mean....in my test I had to move 5 times to get 21 granite...second test I didn't have to move once and got 41...MUCH happier miner here :) Can't wait till this hits Origin!
Yes, but it's over the same amount of mining attempts it would be if you were mining for every resource.
so basically you give up:

100% ingots & 10% Granite moving more (1-3 seconds every ~10 mining attempts)
vs
10% granite & moving less (1-3s every ~100 mining attempts)

41 granite would take you an average of 410 attempts- it's really not a fair trade off.

Adding this option is pretty much pointless if it doesn't increase your chances to successfully pull-up granite.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly, I'd expect to get Stone instead of Ore, since I'm giving up the ore altogether to get "more stone" from mining.

I mean overall what is different when set to mine "Only Stone" is how many times you mine from the same location before the resource vein is depleted.
You get more stone from that particular vein, BUT it's over the same amount of mining attempts you would get stone mining for every resource type.

I could see at least a total 50% chance to get granite from each dig attempt at the cost of getting ore in addition to stone.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Honestly, I'd expect to get Stone instead of Ore, since I'm giving up the ore altogether to get "more stone" from mining.

I mean overall what is different when set to mine "Only Stone" is how many times you mine from the same location before the resource vein is depleted.
You get more stone from that particular vein, BUT it's over the same amount of mining attempts you would get stone mining for every resource type.

I could see at least a total 50% chance to get granite from each dig attempt at the cost of getting ore in addition to stone.
I agree.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
  • Spirituality Shield no longer triggers when hit by players/pets/hirelings
  • Characters with bugged Lower Mana Cost are now fixed.
This is the greatest moment ever in the history of Ultima Online

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It took me like...5 minutes to get 41 granite.....seriously it's not as bad as you people make it out to be....you ask for a granite only option, they give it to you and then you find something else to complain about.

I do a lot of stone deco, yes I know how much granite it takes to make an entire castle floor....this will make it a lot less tedious getting all that granite, I think it's just fine the way it is.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What do you consider a useable amount of granite? 100 units in ten minutes? 1000? The granite supply has been the way its been for quite a while, and while I'll grant the recent castle additions have spiked granite demand, cranking up the supply to 11 isn't something to be done lightly without consideration. As far as the tedium of resource gathering - this is resource gathering we are talking about, not exactly the most riveting gameplay to begin with. The resource gathering actions in the EC have certainly taken the carpal tunnel edge out of the process, but I see your point.

In the 4 granite in 50 use example, previously there could be a chance of getting 0 granite in 50 uses. Now that ore isn't being extracted that is no longer a possibility.
I'd expect a better than 10% chance at finding stone when going for granite only at the very least. A GM miner should have a better than 1/10 chance, especially since UO's wacky RNG makes it more like 1/15. It doesn't have to be a ridiculous boost, but there should be something. I don't think a slight boost to granite mining will unbalance the game.

Add granite to pirate and merchant ships while you're at it...

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

So basically:

Before: mining set to ore and granite = mine for granite with 10% success rate. If granite fails, player gets ore.

Devs implement stone crafting and players need more stone. Players request the ability to mine granite only.

Now: mining set to granite only = mine for granite with a 10% success chance. If granite fails, player gets nothing.

Other than maybe the 1 second it takes to click the ore and target a firebeetle... This change does nothing to make it easier for players to gather any significant kind of quantity... Which was the WHOLE point of asking for the granite only option.

@Kyronix Why does granite need to be more rare than ingots? Would UO come crashing down if the chance for granite when set to granite only was 80-100% ?

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
If you want some special coloured granite you win, since you only get granite instead of getting ore from the chunk you're mining.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is possible to get significant quantities of granite from trader quests sometimes, even if you do the shorter route through moongates.

I did some mining yesterday - I got 90 plain, 10 dull copper 3 shadow 7 copper 4 bronze and 1 gold. My conclusion, if you want dyeable stone better take a prospector's tool.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Other than maybe the 1 second it takes to click the ore and target a firebeetle... This change does nothing to make it easier for players to gather any significant kind of quantity... Which was the WHOLE point of asking for the granite only option.
I think the idea is that all of the resource "chances" in a node will now all be stone chances, so the odds that you end up with more stone, compared to mining ore & stone, before the node dries up are better.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is possible to get significant quantities of granite from trader quests sometimes, even if you do the shorter route through moongates.

I did some mining yesterday - I got 90 plain, 10 dull copper 3 shadow 7 copper 4 bronze and 1 gold. My conclusion, if you want dyeable stone better take a prospector's tool.
Yeah, it's really unfortunate that mining isn't the best way to get mining resources. :/

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
i hope that 120 necro will have a higher effect on corpse skin, rather than requiring 120 necro just to get what we have now.

being able to cast corpse skin at low levels of necromancy was one of the things that kept the skill from being all but worthless. (basically worthless anyway because just about everyone is overcapped in fire / poison anyway)

if you actually have devoted 240 skill points to necro / spirit speak, corpse skin would have to reduce resists by at least 30 to even be worth casting it, let alone worth the skill points. it would need to reduce by about 40 to be worth the skill point investment now since resists in most suits are sky high now.

that or remove the ability to overcap resists.
I don't think it's going to matter much. A Necro mage wouldn't be considered a Focused Spec Necromancer anyway. Necromancy + Magery is already more than 1 spell school.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think it's going to matter much. A Necro mage wouldn't be considered a Focused Spec Necromancer anyway. Necromancy + Magery is already more than 1 spell school.
agreed, just saying that i hope it will still give -15 to resists at the lowest skill level, because its really not worth having 120 necro / SS for that. in tight templates, low necro is often all thats actually worth fitting into a template.

also only wither and poison strike are effected by SDI anyway, so theres little point to a "focused necromancer" to begin with.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Necromancy>Corpse Skin is now - 8 to -15 to Current & Cap Fire/poison resist depending on skill.

Hehe!

Edit: Is +10 Physical & Cold resistances -15 Fire & Poison resist as normal
in addition to -5 to -15 off the cap Fire & Poison resistances depending on skill.
(Physical & Cold resistance caps are effected)

You will no longer be able to over-cap Fire and Poison resistances against a "Focused Necromancer".

Last edited:

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
20 second immunity timer for mortal strike? Are you guys serious? That's absolutely ********. Why not just get rid of mortal strike altogether? Devs making another special move absolutely useless again
The immunity will be effectively 12 seconds based duration of the mortal.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Necromancy>Corpse Skin is now - 8 to -15 to Current & Cap Fire/poison resist depending on skill.

Hehe!

Edit: Is +10 Physical & Cold resistances -15 Fire & Poison resist as normal
in addition to -5 to -15 off the cap Fire & Poison resistances depending on skill.
(Physical & Cold resistance caps are effected)

You will no longer be able to over-cap Fire and Poison resistances against a "Focused Necromancer".
So basically, necro-mages won't get the benefit, but Necro-Dexers do. Well, let's just say I'm glad I don't have to fight your Fencer on LS anymore :D