• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 86 to TC1

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As it is now, there is no incentive to replace tangles, crimsons and etc since they are "Mumm Ra, the everlasting". They will only get replaced if something better shows up.
... and there are still enough people, who do not even have/can efford this stuff, so making this a throw away instead of resale with decreasing prices item would be the wrong way in my opinion.

*Salute*
Olahorand

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's certain terms which we must use in a discussion like this which, sadly, can't have a precise definition. And there's no way around their use. For example "obsessing" and "1%." I submit that it's possible, perhaps even likely, dare I say, that what might look like obsession now might merely be different than what happened then, rather than categorically better or worse.

-Galen's player
I think that things simply being different now than they were then goes without saying. I also think it goes with out saying that the percentage of the game's focus that goes to items is drastically higher now than it once was. I would argue to the point that the "item grind" meta game is THE main focus in UO game play today. Clearly not the ONLY meta game, but I can't think of any other that players focus on nearly so much.

Obviously whether or not that is something an individual enjoys or is ok with is up to the individual. I for one, think things have gone off the rails, which is one of the reasons why I play on siege, where it's much less of an issue. Clearly you disagree, and that's cool. To each his own.

The term 1% may have been employed hyperbolically but I think in many cases it actually IS an accurate depiction of the difference in their over all effectiveness between the piece of armor someone has in their suit and the piece they are seeking. Obsession obviously is is a subjective term, but to me spending literal weeks and months (if not years) to attain such a small increases in power for no real functional reason is obsession.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, and I never really meant to open a can of worms. I should know by now that people like the game how it is, or certainly like it better the way it is than the way it is on siege (or pre-insurance anyway) and to keep my comments to myself to prevent such thread derailments.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When items weren't insurable it was a different game. Gear was standardized and easily replaced.That is no longer the case. I'm sure some of you can, but we can't all run out and drop 30+ mill on a suit every time we can't get our stuff back now, for not even top-end stuff! And going back to plain GM-tailored armor is not an option in today's game.

Taking out insurance means a lot more than just taking out insurance. They'd have to change basically everything about the game.
Well, if there were no insurance people wouldn't be using 30m+ suits, they would be using gear they could afford to lose, or more accurately can live having lost. That really the whole point of wanting to do away with insurance. I think a lot of people would be surprised how much of the game they can handle just fine with a standard imbued no where near maxed out suit.

The way you play would change for sure, but the game wouldn't need to be changed at all. Peeps on siege do everything peeps on regular shards do, and they do it without insurance. If you use an artifact in your suit, you just may lose it. It's not a big deal, get another or get something close to replace it and move on.
Sometimes it just takes an extra person or two to accomplish something, but I personally think that is a good thing, this being an MMO and all.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Ya know folks... let's try not to get to logical with this stuff. It's logical that at some point we'd get old and die. It's logical that our houses would require so much to repair we'd just let them fall at some point. Some items sell for like 35 million and more, not gonna be thrilled to see it worn out and unrepairable in 2 or 3 months. I know myself and many others won't touch imbued and replica items. Let's not go from being able to make a decent buck off a few of the drops to everything being worthless.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya know folks... let's try not to get to logical with this stuff. It's logical that at some point we'd get old and die. It's logical that our houses would require so much to repair we'd just let them fall at some point. Some items sell for like 35 million and more, not gonna be thrilled to see it worn out and unrepairable in 2 or 3 months. I know myself and many others won't touch imbued and replica items. Let's not go from being able to make a decent buck off a few of the drops to everything being worthless.
If they wore out they wouldn't be sold for 35m. ;)

Also... really, how long does it take to wear out an imbued item? Honestly I imbue all my suits myself and I don't even pof them, and they seem to last a really long time. I have to repair them every now and then, but really... not such a big deal.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Dammit, I can't wait to get this new loot and Traders Quest to go public on Siege

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
If they wore out they wouldn't be sold for 35m. ;)

Also... really, how long does it take to wear out an imbued item? Honestly I imbue all my suits myself and I don't even pof them, and they seem to last a really long time. I have to repair them every now and then, but really... not such a big deal.
Well if it's not a big deal then lets just leave stuff as is, lol. But to me imbued, replica, that kinda stuff falls right in there with cursed or whatever. It's my last desperate choice I can't replace soon enough.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You, in essence, are arguing that without the additional Luck bonus, to which I am objecting, Fel would in effect be being given "nothing" because content for the PvP facet that is focused on PvP somehow does not count.

I think you're wrong and I articulated, in the plainest terms I could, why so.

I further think that perhaps the most-telling part of your post in retrospect was where you stated that PvP was at its most fun when encountered doing other things. If most players agreed with you, then Trammel never would have been necessary to begin with, other games that are designed around drastically different assumptions would not have been as successful as they have been and continue to be, and no incentives would be needed to get people to Fel. They would be there already.

-Galen's player
Now that i think about it, since a luck suit is not exactly a realistic choice when hunting in felucca, 1k luck does not seem like a bonus at all.

I propose 2k luck bonus while hunting in felucca. it wouldnt exactly be a bonus compared to being able to wear a tram luck suit, but would be a start at equating fel content with tram content.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 21 characters and the only suits I had to replace due to wear in 3 years so far were the ones that I reforged with brittle and cannot be repaired for one of my dexxers when I was training her. And those lasted me a good two months, during a time when I was able to play daily.
It takes quite a bit for a 255 dur item to wear out to the point you have to replace it, specially on tamers and mages.

Well for some of us with over 40 characters I have too much reason to be constantly farming them.... I don't need to have to replace suits along with trying to stay with the times and upgrade 40+ characters.
No offense but any input you have on any new game content really is invalid if in your own words you choose not to stay with the times

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is shame,covetous and wrong revamped along with the new loot publish? The monsters there are x100 tougher than other places so unless they scale them back seems like those places will be unvisited.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is shame,covetous and wrong revamped along with the new loot publish? The monsters there are x100 tougher than other places so unless they scale them back seems like those places will be unvisited.
It seems it has been. the mobs are significantly more difficult than most other places, the loot actually seems to have been toned down, as it's harder to get Lesser Artifacts & up. I should say "Artifact" quality loot seems to have an over-all reduced drop-rate especially on the higher end mobs, it does seem it is going to be easier though to get 100% "Clean" items.

Shame still has shame-points/Whetones, Covetous has the chance of hepheastus, brightblade, etc Wrong has Assassin Honed weapons, & stealables.
Despise will still have the artifacts from there + the despise point Wisp vendor.

They'll have things you can't get anywhere else, whether or not those things make these places worth farming specifically for them, instead of actual loot items, is another thing.

kronides

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It seems it has been. the mobs are significantly more difficult than most other places, the loot actually seems to have been toned down, as it's harder to get Lesser Artifacts & up. I should say "Artifact" quality loot seems to have an over-all reduced drop-rate especially on the higher end mobs, it does seem it is going to be easier though to get 100% "Clean" items.

Shame still has shame-points/Whetones, Covetous has the chance of hepheastus, brightblade, etc Wrong has Assassin Honed weapons, & stealables.
Despise will still have the artifacts from there + the despise point Wisp vendor.

They'll have things you can't get anywhere else, whether or not those things make these places worth farming specifically for them, instead of actual loot items, is another thing.
That sounds like real bad news for mid-range players.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Ride able kangaroo ethy or pet with rider inside it's pouch.
At least working like packhorse is acceptable too.
:troll:
If I'm riding in the pouch, does that mean I can open its storage without having to dismount? Woot! :D

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would urge you to put any substantive changes you make onto the Test Center for a bit, at least in some form. Not just like bug fixes, but substantive changes, so that way it can be seen what'll happen in actual fact. And not just Origin, I mean, though it should stay there for awhile too, but I mean to leave substantive changes on the actual Test Center for a good bit.

It also occurs to me that the Minax artifact turn-in value may be too high. You may not realize just how easy those can be to farm for some. (Not for me unfortunately, as I rarely make it to the mages in time. But for others.) I forget what their turn-in value is, and the main UO.com site isn't working for me at the moment, but as I recall it was pretty high. (Also of course the Minax artifacts already have a purpose, whereas the turn-ins perhaps should be about things that don't have a purpose, or don't have much of one, at the moment.)

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And let me say yet again as many have that the towns that get the "reward" for the trade quest should be the start town not the destination town, RP wise they are getting the benefit of the trade.

I would like to do a trade mission on Minoc's behalf and have Minoc benefit rather than wander other cities and hope I can find a trade mission that Minoc can benefit from.

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Question for everyone: Can you do traders' quests without town loyalty? Without citizenship? Do you gain town loyalty? Do you gain it only if you've declared citizenship?

-Galen's player

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Question for everyone: Can you do traders' quests without town loyalty? Without citizenship? Do you gain town loyalty? Do you gain it only if you've declared citizenship?
You can take a trade order from any minister on either facet, regardless of loyalty. I haven't gained loyalty points when turning an order in either, which is a shame.

Currently, the Trammel version of the receiving city receives the gold, even if you complete the quest (or do it completely) in Fel. Kyronix has already said it will be changing to the sending city who receives the gold.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can take a trade order from any minister on either facet, regardless of loyalty. I haven't gained loyalty points when turning an order in either, which is a shame.

Currently, the Trammel version of the receiving city receives the gold, even if you complete the quest (or do it completely) in Fel. Kyronix has already said it will be changing to the sending city who receives the gold.
I'd thought so but I figured it would not hurt to remind.

-Galen's player