• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 85 Additional notes

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Patch Notes
2013 Dec 06 19:48 GMT
We have published the following the all shards:

• We have made various adjustments to reduce server lag, as a result you may experience longer wait times when accessing various menus throughout the game
  • You are now able to recall out of Lord Blackthorns Dungeon

Continue reading...

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Patch Notes
2013 Dec 06 19:48 GMT.....We have made various adjustments to reduce server lag, as a result you may experience longer wait times when accessing various menus throughout the game...

Is this temporary or permanent? Does it include crafting menu's?

Last edited:

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great! good news at last. My thief will be so pleased.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To reduce all server lag? Or specific ones to start with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suppose I could log on with a bunch of chars and try every menu in the game.... I just thought since I'm here, I'd ask and not have to do that.... Besides, having a definitive answer from a dev would make me feel lots better about what they're doing....

kongomongo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Yes it would be really helpful if a dev could state where a delay was added

Zane_Xander

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
these so called dev's are stright up fruit loops.

Recall "In" and Out....
How about leaving out all the hang ups/ get stuck on places in these pods cities; which is another stright up joke
Crams us all in the tight hidden areas packed with blocking dead courps and dragons is flat out insulting
still cant use spells and skills, which goes to show you how non creative the devs are they have to limit your choice to make their revamp work. This is a sign to come if you do stop it now.
0 and the AI on Captains is just plain wrong.

Last edited:

kongomongo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
these so called dev's are stright up fruit loops.

Recall "In" and Out....
How about leaving out all the hang ups/ get stuck on places in these pods cities; which is another stright up joke
Crams us all in the tight hidden areas packed with blocking dead courps and dragons is flat out insulting
still cant use spells and skills, which goes to show you how non creative the devs are they have to limit your choice to make their revamp work. This is a sign to come if you do stop it now.
0 and the AI on Captains is just plain wrong.
LOL

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just did a bunch of Tailoring and the only delay was getting the main menu up, which wasnt much diff, but the rest seamed like there was ZERO change in making items or getting the sub menus up.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
these so called dev's are stright up fruit loops.....
Something you may or may not wish to consider, ZX - is that beginning a conversation like this can pretty much guarantee that any of the dev's that might see this thread will:
A- Be immediately put into a defensive posture and a bad mood to boot - and rightly so.
B- Be unlikely to read anything you said after that initial sentence.

Try putting yourself in the position of a dev that may have worked very hard to give us something good, but someone like you just rips into them without having all the facts... No one is saying that everything the devs do is going to please everyone, but I can assure you that all of them are trying. And when you begin by telling them that they're "fruit loops", whatever facts and mission you had - you have just failed to change anything for the positive since you've already lost your audience....
I think I have a book here somewhere, by a guy called Carnegie, that you might find helpful.....

Last edited:

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As an oversight the ability to recall out of the Fel side has also been added, this needs to be removed. Dungeons in fel do not allow recalling.

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then why do you really even care?
A: I am still a paying customer
B: I would like a reason to login
C: The devs doing half @ss fixes like this, that happen to break completely unrelated issues (see insurance bug) is what has made the game that I still want to play completely unplayable.

If you go to into your bank and tell them they accidentally took money out of your checking account. Their idea of a fix is to transfer money out of your savings account to cover it. Would you be okay with that?

That is exactly what is happening with this fix.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A: I am still a paying customer
B: I would like a reason to login
C: The devs doing half @ss fixes like this, that happen to break completely unrelated issues (see insurance bug) is what has made the game that I still want to play completely unplayable.

If you go to into your bank and tell them they accidentally took money out of your checking account. Their idea of a fix is to transfer money out of your savings account to cover it. Would you be okay with that?

That is exactly what is happening with this fix.
Except you're complaining about something you haven't even tried out. The increase in "wait time" isn't significant and barely noticeable and that minor insurance bug is already fixed.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Most disappointing thing is that while they fixed it so you can recall OUT of Blackthorn's dungeon, you still can't recall IN. Absolutely NO reason why you shouldn't be able to mark anywhere inside this dungeon to save the tedium of having to walk in. Frankly it is just another case of bad design. If people DON'T WANT to recall in, fine, you know what, they can WALK in. I guarantee 99.9% of players would prefer to recall in, so why do the dev's insist on making things a pain just for the sake of it?

Imagine if this was treated like all other tram dungeons in that you could mark the hitching post, hell hound room, skeleton room, brigands, elementals etc and Blackthorn Britain pod, Jhelom pod etc. Most rune llibrarians will mark in the safest place possible as they currently do now for all other dungeons. People of little skill will recall to the skeletons/brigands, if you are fighting the main bosses you can recall directly to outside the relevant 'pod' WITH your pet/s, and if you want to hand in artifacts you can recall to the hitching post and pop up the stairs or walk in.

I had a player ask yesterday "where we were" when he heard us in global chat discussing strategy on some captains, told him the new dungeon and he said 'how do I get there', well instead of saying go rune library and choose blackthorns dungeon book and recall, you say well go to the outside of blackthorns castle, "where's that" is the question, so you give directions from the bank, then go to the north of brit , then cross the bridge, it will dismount you and stable your pet, then turn left across the bridge into the building entrance, then go through the north door, then the south door, then down the steps, at that little hitching post you can claim your pet/mount, then into the huge octagonal shaped room, then go through the north doors, then kinda follow the left wall past some gold elementals, watch out for the one lich, then keep heading round along the left wall through another set of doors and a kinda sparkly barrier thing, the you see an area with about 7 circle things we are at the one at the end on the right hand side. blah blah blah

SERIOUSLY what is the reason for all this?

Frustrated with this whole pointless set up.

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
pay ya dollar and collect the..... mesanna franshise..... end of.,,,. whatever...next

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Most disappointing thing is that while they fixed it so you can recall OUT of Blackthorn's dungeon, you still can't recall IN. Absolutely NO reason why you shouldn't be able to mark anywhere inside this dungeon to save the tedium of having to walk in. Frankly it is just another case of bad design. If people DON'T WANT to recall in, fine, you know what, they can WALK in. I guarantee 99.9% of players would prefer to recall in, so why do the dev's insist on making things a pain just for the sake of it?

Imagine if this was treated like all other tram dungeons in that you could mark the hitching post, hell hound room, skeleton room, brigands, elementals etc and Blackthorn Britain pod, Jhelom pod etc. Most rune llibrarians will mark in the safest place possible as they currently do now for all other dungeons. People of little skill will recall to the skeletons/brigands, if you are fighting the main bosses you can recall directly to outside the relevant 'pod' WITH your pet/s, and if you want to hand in artifacts you can recall to the hitching post and pop up the stairs or walk in.

I had a player ask yesterday "where we were" when he heard us in global chat discussing strategy on some captains, told him the new dungeon and he said 'how do I get there', well instead of saying go rune library and choose blackthorns dungeon book and recall, you say well go to the outside of blackthorns castle, "where's that" is the question, so you give directions from the bank, then go to the north of brit , then cross the bridge, it will dismount you and stable your pet, then turn left across the bridge into the building entrance, then go through the north door, then the south door, then down the steps, at that little hitching post you can claim your pet/mount, then into the huge octagonal shaped room, then go through the north doors, then kinda follow the left wall past some gold elementals, watch out for the one lich, then keep heading round along the left wall through another set of doors and a kinda sparkly barrier thing, the you see an area with about 7 circle things we are at the one at the end on the right hand side. blah blah blah

SERIOUSLY what is the reason for all this?

Frustrated with this whole pointless set up.
There are a few reasons why you can't recall in, some of them are technical, others not. For one thing, recall directly in and you miss walking through the King's castle - a place where you never know what kind of surprises might show up now, or in the future. Another reason is that I personally think its kind of lame that a would be thief would be able to mark a rune directly next to where the stealables spawn just to recall in, check that they are there, then recall away. Having to at least venture into the dungeon and maybe walk around and find something that may or may not be hidden adds a bit of immersion that is otherwise lost. I think being able to recall and mark everywhere is something that diminishes the overall appreciation for the game world as a whole and part of the reason Ilshenar will always have a mysterious quality for me. I can appreciate that you are concerned with convenience, and I think for the majority of the world convenience is favored in regard to travel. For those certain special areas though, I think retaining some restriction isn't a bad thing particularly when the distance to travel isn't that great.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are a few reasons why you can't recall in, some of them are technical, others not. For one thing, recall directly in and you miss walking through the King's castle - a place where you never know what kind of surprises might show up now, or in the future. Another reason is that I personally think its kind of lame that a would be thief would be able to mark a rune directly next to where the stealables spawn just to recall in, check that they are there, then recall away. Having to at least venture into the dungeon and maybe walk around and find something that may or may not be hidden adds a bit of immersion that is otherwise lost. I think being able to recall and mark everywhere is something that diminishes the overall appreciation for the game world as a whole and part of the reason Ilshenar will always have a mysterious quality for me. I can appreciate that you are concerned with convenience, and I think for the majority of the world convenience is favored in regard to travel. For those certain special areas though, I think retaining some restriction isn't a bad thing particularly when the distance to travel isn't that great.
Have to agree to disagree then, and I suspect the majority are with me from what I hear from those I play with who all just HATE the messing around. I consider having to run in, dismount, have to reclaim pets, take five minutes just getting to where you want to fight as being 'lame'. As for stealables, this must be new or coming, but even so as with all stealables, they are good for the first 6 mths then only the die hards 'farm' them unless they are the highly sort after type which are few and far between. NO one even bothers with the stealables in the tokuno mines, the dojo, the underworld or the the stygian abyss as they are too much of a drag to get, yet doom stealables are still farmed regularly. Reason being is that the doom ones you can recall in, do a quick run/recall through and get out as part of a scheduled thief run. My thief only bothers with 2 of the SA stealables and ONLY because there is a teleporter to a nearby house so they are easy to access. No teleport then I wouldn't bother with them either.

All I know is that for returning players, and new players the lack of ability to mark anywhere detracts from the game. No point in having content if people don't know it exists. Having run our shards most successful rune library for a number of years, and now in the process of remarking and updating it for a new library in new premises, we are heading BACKWARDS in the areas that people can access by rune, and in my opinion creating a disservice to players. I learnt most of my game by going to rune libraries, selecting a book, and going to the marked locations to see what was there, can't do that now with a LOT of the so called NEW areas due to the lack of ability to mark. The dungeons and areas you can recall to are used 1000% more than those you can't, so my question is who is the game for, the players or the devs? Players vote with their feet, or in this case, their recall. So many areas that people had access to by recall are now no recall zones, ie all of Wrong dungeon, most of Covetous, forget despise, that is just a totally wasted dungeon now, the Stygian Abyss is only used to farm imbuing resources that are essential, but I bet if you asked players would they prefer to recall into the Abyss once they had gained access the answer would be a reverberating and resounding YES.

I guess it doesn't really matter what the majority would like.

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kyronix Why not add Blackthorn's dungeon to the corrupted crystal portal? Have it teleport the player to the stairs or somewhere in that room. Those who want to get in and on with their play will be happy without making the dungeon markable.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kyronix Why not add Blackthorn's dungeon to the corrupted crystal portal? Have it teleport the player to the stairs or somewhere in that room. Those who want to get in and on with their play will be happy without making the dungeon markable.
This was actually something already done that will be included in a future publish. Takes you to the hitching post area if memory serves.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord

I totally agree with this. To much is lost when you do not travel the lands of Sosaria

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree completely.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
People rely too much on recall/SJ imo. We have been spoiled in that regard so I don´t blame any players.

But I´d prefer a Sosaria where people would have to use mounts or feet to get from A to B over seeing people popping up or disappearing out of nowhere.
Yes, it takes a bit more time but it also makes the world feel more alive.

Recall/SJ works in many areas but I don´t mind it not working in new areas such as this dungeon.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would agree with the exploration of the lands being important IF the lands weren't *nearly* 100% static. Yeah a few spawns rotate, but the lands themselves rarely change and when they do we all know when and where well in advance. We need dynamic spawns and random map changes (rockslides revealing a temporary cave, earthquake revealing the entrance to long forgotten crypt, wildfires players could put out, evil mage towers, the chance of stumbling across something random and fun) before most people are going to care about exploration over convenience.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would agree with the exploration of the lands being important IF the lands weren't *nearly* 100% static. Yeah a few spawns rotate, but the lands themselves rarely change and when they do we all know when and where well in advance. We need dynamic spawns and random map changes (rockslides revealing a temporary cave, earthquake revealing the entrance to long forgotten crypt, wildfires players could put out, evil mage towers, the chance of stumbling across something random and fun) before most people are going to care about exploration over convenience.
This is a big wishlist item for me. One day!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some years ago my hubby and I had a shop about 2 screens from Cove. One day someone came looking for goods, then announced we had nothing he wanted and was going to Cove gates. He recalled out. I ran down and met him at the shop he'd gone to. He had no idea whatsoever where our shop was and how I'd gotten to him so quickly - because he recalled everywhere.
Conversely I can look at any treasure map and know what area is represented in it, because I don't recall everywhere. I KNOW the land my chars live in.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
This is a big wishlist item for me. One day!

I have most of today free! Better yet the week after Christmas I close the office and will have a whole week!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Some years ago my hubby and I had a shop about 2 screens from Cove. One day someone came looking for goods, then announced we had nothing he wanted and was going to Cove gates. He recalled out. I ran down and met him at the shop he'd gone to. He had no idea whatsoever where our shop was and how I'd gotten to him so quickly - because he recalled everywhere.
Conversely I can look at any treasure map and know what area is represented in it, because I don't recall everywhere. I KNOW the land my chars live in.
Exactly ..... I LOVE walking the lands. I used to do it all the time searching for the best of vendors. Then Luna happened and all the good vendors slowly dried up.... swallowed by the convenience of Luna's ring. To me that killed something. People thought Tokuno would be the next Luna but there honestly weren't enough people left vending to really make Tokuno bloom on most shards. I'm hoping that the addition of a Search to the game ..... one that is NOT run by illegal 3rd parties who have vested interests and personal vendetta's ...... will return shops back to the lands and OUT of the stink hole that is Luna.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly ..... I LOVE walking the lands. I used to do it all the time searching for the best of vendors. Then Luna happened and all the good vendors slowly dried up.... swallowed by the convenience of Luna's ring. To me that killed something. People thought Tokuno would be the next Luna but there honestly weren't enough people left vending to really make Tokuno bloom on most shards. I'm hoping that the addition of a Search to the game ..... one that is NOT run by illegal 3rd parties who have vested interests and personal vendetta's ...... will return shops back to the lands and OUT of the stink hole that is Luna.

Yes... Agree 100% with Mal here. Luna is why the rest of the Sosarian landscape is so horribly untraveled... I can't wait for the Vendor Search to finally be implemented ingame. It will get people out again - to shop and to meet others....