• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 85.5

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There are 100's of ways to contact me as Governor of Yew on GL's. However I'm not about to go posting them all over. Though I will say most the folk on GL's probably know where to find me or someone that does. That's not the point. Point is that we HAD a working way of communication and now we DON'T. 9 times out of 10 I'm not ON ONE CHARACTER. I don't hang around UO on Willa all day long. I don't go to the board every day...... first off I like MANY others am not even in game every day. I do have a life. I don't bring up ICQ much anymore since they were bought out because I don't like "screening" my incoming messages. I'm not very interested in meeting the 40k plus people that want to add me so they can hack my pc. So years ago I blocked most all folk from adding me...

I do have a website where I can be reached though the RP community boards on our website. However it's against TOS to post such things "in-game"..... and I'm not about to risk my account doing such a thing. We're told not to post websites. Sure they could contact me here on Stratics.... but over 50% of UO players don't read Stratics and even less of them actually post on Stratics. So that's highly unuseful. What do you want me to do? Post my freaking mobile #?

This is NO solution. Hell on GL's I even converted my Luna house and Dedicated it to the Governors. Putting up bulletin boards for each of the Governors to use as well as providing them a place to lock down a rune to their own personal residence so folk would be able to go directly to where their Governor lives and post on their house board as well as use their personal in-game mailbox. But I'm willing to bet that most of GL's has ZERO clue that the building even has furniture in it let alone anything useful.

You want the cold hard truth about the entire system? 90% of those that care about being Governor are most likely role-players..... who represent probably less than 20% of the population..... but I think 80% of those that use the daily perk of the trade deal are PvPers or PvE. And it honestly would get more use if folk in Fel could use it... infact I'm willing to bet that if they had such a system in Fel it would get 10X the use from Reds. I'm further willing to bet that after the first couple of elections a vast majority of players quit caring about the Governor system because they don't really "Get" anything out of it. I mean most of the "buffs" are 100% useless and something you can just imbue onto your suit and after you are "capped out" in that getting another 5% or whatever really is moot. There could be 100's of FAR better rewards from the stone.

Personally I find the buff to be more of an irritation and a source of stress because my "friends" in-game who I play with everyday would love for me to put either the 5% SSI or the 5% SDI on the stone ....... but 2 citizens who actually do put some gold on the stone want 1FC... So I have to choose between my friends... and folk who pay. So 2 people decide what the buff will be and others leave your stone. Not real nice. And I highly doubt anyone else even knows they can GET the buff.... or how to even use it and even more like me forget it's even there that you have to go click the stupid stone every day is even more useless.

Personally I still feel that if I fork out the 2m every stinking week then my citizens ought to be able to choose their OWN trade deal since the trades are funded. Hell I'd even be willing to bump the weekly amount to 4m if they could choose whatever deal they wanted. But lets be 100% honest here. At 2mill per week thats 104m every year..... NO BUFF is worth that and 208 mill a year is completely insane for a lousy 5% or 1FC buff..... Just saying it's honestly a joke kinda like I said about the fisherman suit and the bait. And a rather unfunny joke at that.

And lets really get down to it and say that most players don't want anything if there isn't something in it for them. Anymore UO has gotten to be about what is it worth. They want items and want stuff that's worth 100's of millions not just some pittance, because UO has become a game of greed. That's the fact.

It's not about community anymore. Community wise you can't do anything... Group hunt? Why bother when 90% can solo most anything in the game. Taking a whole guild to do something is boring since anything you could go hunt as a guild will be dead in under 10 min. So 2 hours spent preparing to do 10 min of something isn't really fun, challenging, or enjoyable. More like work and then they want to know what is the reward? They can get better drops solo.

This goes back to when Dragons where feared and it took a guild to take one down. Now I can own all of Destard with one character. I get a guildy and most the time we are running around waiting for something to spawn. This is the case is 99% of the dungeons. 2 people can litterally hold the spawn and will spend most their time waiting around.

I don't know why I bother saying anything about it. It's become more and more obvious that things aren't going to change. No one cares anymore unless something is in it for them. And everyone feeds into the rares ...... either in collecting or selling..... gotta have a rare or it just is a waste of time. So no one even wants to do much of anything because they can solo this and that and get more gold out of it. It's no longer Ultima is Gluttony Online.

Maybe it is because no one has to band together anymore to play. Maybe the Fellies are right... But I think UO has lost sight of what was important and what meant something.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Alex, the bloatware that ICQ's become is all the reason someone should use Pidgin or Trillian instead.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...Personally I still feel that if I fork out the 2m every stinking week then my citizens ought to be able to choose their OWN trade deal since the trades are funded. Hell I'd even be willing to bump the weekly amount to 4m if they could choose whatever deal they wanted. But lets be 100% honest here. At 2mill per week thats 104m every year..... NO BUFF is worth that and 208 mill a year is completely insane for a lousy 5% or 1FC buff.......
This ^^^^ .
Either lower the cost or buff them up. They're way to expensive for what you get in return, IMO...

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doesn't do anything to 'fix' the issues on small shards for governors. It costs $2 million per buff per week on Atlantic that has 50 times the population of Oceania, yet costs the same for us. I would be lucky to sell ONE banner a year now that the initial banners have been purchased by all existing players. Total waste of time and effort.

Where is the economy of scale to reflect the fact that not all shards are EQUAL.
Economy of scale?
You wish to remain on a dead shard for what purpose? History? Nostalgia? Economy? That is completely your choice.
I am sure you can easily obtain a castle or a Luna home on your small shard. Must be nice.
I am also sure you can damn near spawn at will with no worries about being raided. Must be nice.
But please stop whining to the devs every time a new system comes into place because it wasn't tailored to you or you cant fully enjoy it.
If only there was some type of system in place so that a person could choose to move even one character to another busier shard to participate in something he claims to be missing out on!
Something like a transfer system or transfer token would be so cool...

Mr. Spock said it best.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This ^^^^ .
Either lower the cost or buff them up. They're way to expensive for what you get in return, IMO...
The +1 FC is definitely worth 2m if you play outside of tram. The majority of posters on here have no problem dropping rl cash and hundreds of mil on deco items but then complain when an optional 2m isn't geared towards their style of gameplay.

year worth of buffs = 104m

an event item, the day after an event, selling at 150m = considered a real bargain by stratics

a duped two story statue priced at 500m = deal of the century

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The +1 FC is definitely worth 2m if you play outside of tram. The majority of posters on here have no problem dropping rl cash and hundreds of mil on deco items but then complain when an optional 2m isn't geared towards their style of gameplay.

year worth of buffs = 104m

an event item, the day after an event, selling at 150m = considered a real bargain by stratics

a duped two story statue priced at 500m = deal of the century
The FC buff is worth well more than 2m!
(I personally have deleted reds and made stupid blue templates that are not otherwise possible)

But you need to understand the tram mages have little use for it considering they wear books and shields..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TandaBSK

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix
I am in the minority it seems I LIKE the new bulletin board. It allows me to see from my city what is the main event or such going on in all that have posted such information. On Great Lakes we are all typically in ventrilo together a few times a week any how, but I think it's convenient a one stop what's going on in game.
Two way communication would be lovely, and it has been an issue in this game for a long time. I play the 2d client one thing I love about OUR little world of UO is the chat above your character's head rather than in the little box functions. I use my journal a lot which helps but sometimes is a bit inconvenient with all the spells and spam. I avoid Gen Chat unless given no choice, while it can be a good place to find someone or connect you have to endure too much juvenile crap. I do use it when we're at EM events. I think it offers good possibilities BUT some *beep* always has to create "copycat" channels, try to derail what could be a useful tool. I think city channels could be helpful, but there is no way to make them less frustrating and open to harassment. I try not have anyone on my ignore list/s per characters because one never knows when it will prevent me from communicating with them at Majestic Oaks. HA! If I block someone for being in my eyes inappropriate (and that takes a bunch) I can not interact with them when they come into auction on an alt and behave properly. (Which believe it or not does happen)

I thought perhaps an old fashion bulletin board at the Governor's office? I do think we could boost a little bit of use of these structures.

I don't fret much over the cost of buffs, I stock my vendors, I support the buffs, I accept this was a cost of doing something I signed on for. The sale of a lucky EM drop item and Minoc is set for the year, or I have to work a little harder to play that profit margin vending. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

You can't please everyone, nothing is ever perfect enough there isn't room for improvement. I appreciate all the work, and patience is a virtue. Have I worked in a enough little trite sayings ? Lol
Honestly though I really do appreciate all the work and look forward to what is coming along in the future.

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about adding a Bulletin Board at the Governors Office so their citizens can leave messages.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Firstly, let me apologize if you got the wrong impression from my previous reply. That certainly was not the intention and if it came across that way I'm sorry.

The bulletin boards are a solution to the fact that Governors wanted a town crier like tool. Rather than have Governor messages mixed in with Event Moderator and Global Announcements, we provided the same functionality in gump form. A means to blast an announcement and short supporting blurb to advertise the goings on within the City.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you that communication cannot be one way. An announcement, which the bulletin boards are intended to promote, are one way communications that are often not open to reply. That being said, I agree with you that we need better two way communication in general. I think that has been a shortcoming within the game for a long time. In lieu of a more elegant and complete solution, people rely on various out of game means of two way communication (ICQ I think being the most popular) to fill the long standing lack of an in game alternative.

The previous "guestbook" had a limited amount of text that could be included in any message and didn't fulfill what I think we ultimately need to provide - an in game guest book for anyone to post and receive replies. Dot mentioned the old school guest books in which it functioned similar to a thread style. Unfortunately that has become deprecated over the years and with advances in tech I'm sure we can find a more elegant and functional solution.

If, for some reason, citizens do not want to communicate with their Governor via an out of game means, or the Governor isn't comfortable sharing those details they can always drop a book with a much lengthier message on the City Herald. It was mentioned that the name of the person who deposited the item to the City Herald isn't available - that's another item we can add to the future Governor enhancement list.

As always, thanks for the feedback!
Put an old style BB next to the new one. The citizens will make due with a few words until something new comes along.

If you expect us to communicate outside of the game, then why are websites that offer services "banned".

If someone wants to be wordy they can write in a book and put it in a mailbox that the governor can access.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How about adding a Bulletin Board at the Governors Office so their citizens can leave messages.
That's what they had. It was replaced by the new message system.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Economy of scale?
You wish to remain on a dead shard for what purpose? History? Nostalgia? Economy? That is completely your choice.
I am sure you can easily obtain a castle or a Luna home on your small shard. Must be nice.
I am also sure you can damn near spawn at will with no worries about being raided. Must be nice.
But please stop whining to the devs every time a new system comes into place because it wasn't tailored to you or you cant fully enjoy it.
If only there was some type of system in place so that a person could choose to move even one character to another busier shard to participate in something he claims to be missing out on!

Mr. Spock said it best.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few
And who made YOU god of who can post what on these boards.

Firstly

How about PING ever heard of that? I ping 90 ms on my shard since they moved it to the cloud, it used to be 32ms. To play on ANY OTHER SHARD the lowest ping I get is around 280ms to the japanese/korean shards where I don't speak the language, and over 300ms to the US shards. I play my shard NOT through choice but due to the fact that other shards are UNPLAYABLE unless I want to shell out another $10 per month to use something like lowerping etc which becomes very expensive.

And that statement has to do with what? Has absolutely NOTHING to do with governors or the topic at hand. People on every shard have castles and luna spots. So what if the smaller populated shards have more available spots, they also have less people to play with, less business to their vendors etc etc.

Again, so what? Nothing to do with governors or the topic at hand. Last spawn I did I got raided, so another unconsidered comment by you so shove that idea as well. Our shard gets 'farmed' by all the vets with transfer shields on a regular basis. Sure maybe not as many 'raids' but also no one to assist on spawns a lot of the time either.

I pay the same to play as everyone else does. I am entitled to enjoy the same systems as everyone else. On most things spawns, monster hunts, quests etc stuff designed for players is equal no matter what shard they play or balances out in the fact that while the competition may be less on the smaller shards, the amount of people available to hunt for the more and ever increasing mobs with gazillon hit points designed purely for group hunts is less therefore harder to do due to getting numbers together. However on things like community collections & GOVERNORS costs v donated items, and other stuff based on population (If you find it hard to get a level 6 focus on Atlantic, imagine how it is on Oceania. ) then the devs need to consider the fact that all shards are NOT equal and design (if it is anywhere near GOOD design) should reflect that fact.

The fact that Atlantic has 50 times the pop means that the burden of the amount of items/cost of things as a % of population is spread much wider to achieve the same result. Smaller shards basically have the same 'cost v reward' yet the ability to attain that reward is removed due to the fact that NO economy of scale is considered. I do NOT want favored treatment, Not at all. I just want the devs to consider when they DESIGN something that they look at the data on the shards and actually design the game to reflect the shards population. That is not to say I want 26 individual prices for each shard, but surely the devs are capable of saying OK have three variables, Large, Medium, Small and make it so on the large pop shards you pay 2mil per week, medium say 1mil per week and small 500k per week or something that actually REFLECTS the demographics of the game. The same could be done for community collections at the zoo. It isn't flipping rocket science and how DARE you decide that because I believe that the game should be more equitable means I am whining.

AS for:

You sarcasm just displays MORE ignorance. I actually have fully developed characters on Atlantic, I still have a house on Atlantic, I have vendors on Atlantic. However, due to the ping the only way I could play on Atlantic was to use Lowerping for a while so that I could actually 'play' to get the characters developed. Due to cost, once they were developed I had to drop the lowerping making it impossible to play there any more. Even with the lowerping moving was not competitive, just made it more bearable. Being able to transfer chars to or from a shard has absolutely diddly squat to do with the governor's on smaller shards. I never claimed I was 'missing out' on anything, I have been a governor on my shard since the day they were introduced, the fact is that there are not enough players to actually make any use of buffs possible unless the full burden of cost falls on the governor. My comments on economy of scale are legitimate and your comments are just pure ignorant.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And who made YOU god of who can post what on these boards.

Firstly

How about PING ever heard of that? I ping 90 ms on my shard since they moved it to the cloud, it used to be 32ms. To play on ANY OTHER SHARD the lowest ping I get is around 280ms to the japanese/korean shards where I don't speak the language, and over 300ms to the US shards. I play my shard NOT through choice but due to the fact that other shards are UNPLAYABLE unless I want to shell out another $10 per month to use something like lowerping etc which becomes very expensive.

And that statement has to do with what? Has absolutely NOTHING to do with governors or the topic at hand. People on every shard have castles and luna spots. So what if the smaller populated shards have more available spots, they also have less people to play with, less business to their vendors etc etc.

Again, so what? Nothing to do with governors or the topic at hand. Last spawn I did I got raided, so another unconsidered comment by you so shove that idea as well. Our shard gets 'farmed' by all the vets with transfer shields on a regular basis. Sure maybe not as many 'raids' but also no one to assist on spawns a lot of the time either.

I pay the same to play as everyone else does. I am entitled to enjoy the same systems as everyone else. On most things spawns, monster hunts, quests etc stuff designed for players is equal no matter what shard they play or balances out in the fact that while the competition may be less on the smaller shards, the amount of people available to hunt for the more and ever increasing mobs with gazillon hit points designed purely for group hunts is less therefore harder to do due to getting numbers together. However on things like community collections & GOVERNORS costs v donated items, and other stuff based on population (If you find it hard to get a level 6 focus on Atlantic, imagine how it is on Oceania. ) then the devs need to consider the fact that all shards are NOT equal and design (if it is anywhere near GOOD design) should reflect that fact.

The fact that Atlantic has 50 times the pop means that the burden of the amount of items/cost of things as a % of population is spread much wider to achieve the same result. Smaller shards basically have the same 'cost v reward' yet the ability to attain that reward is removed due to the fact that NO economy of scale is considered. I do NOT want favored treatment, Not at all. I just want the devs to consider when they DESIGN something that they look at the data on the shards and actually design the game to reflect the shards population. That is not to say I want 26 individual prices for each shard, but surely the devs are capable of saying OK have three variables, Large, Medium, Small and make it so on the large pop shards you pay 2mil per week, medium say 1mil per week and small 500k per week or something that actually REFLECTS the demographics of the game. The same could be done for community collections at the zoo. It isn't flipping rocket science and how DARE you decide that because I believe that the game should be more equitable means I am whining.

AS for:

You sarcasm just displays MORE ignorance. I actually have fully developed characters on Atlantic, I still have a house on Atlantic, I have vendors on Atlantic. However, due to the ping the only way I could play on Atlantic was to use Lowerping for a while so that I could actually 'play' to get the characters developed. Due to cost, once they were developed I had to drop the lowerping making it impossible to play there any more. Even with the lowerping moving was not competitive, just made it more bearable. Being able to transfer chars to or from a shard has absolutely diddly squat to do with the governor's on smaller shards. I never claimed I was 'missing out' on anything, I have been a governor on my shard since the day they were introduced, the fact is that there are not enough players to actually make any use of buffs possible unless the full burden of cost falls on the governor. My comments on economy of scale are legitimate and your comments are just pure ignorant.
1) The topic as posted was an entire publish with various fixes, changes and tweaks. Why do you seem to believe that it was only about Guvs?

2) Real world economics have no place whatsoever in an MMORPG.
Citing economy of scale was quite ridiculous and quite obviously self serving because your real issue is ping and in your own words you choose not to take advantage of the solution for $10 a month. Your problem, not the devs or the rest of us.

3) You cant find enough things to do on your dead shard though that every new system should be changed or watered down so you can decide if you want to partake or not? Hrmmmm

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The fact that 80% of shards are "dead" should be of a bigger concern vs the effect of a limited publish. Really this whole discussion from the two of you should be why has this happened in the last 5 years and what plans does the team have to turn it around....

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
a 4 - 6 hour timed lockdown would suffice for most purposes.
@ Kyronix @Bleak

I agree with a 6 hour timer on a "Governor's Decorator Tool" that allows Governor's to spruce up their areas for the duration of their terms. But that's for smaller type of things like chests, tables, chairs, paintings, flower pots, etc. etc. the little stuff. The bigger stuff needs to stay with the EM's.

Now having said that, you need empower the EM's to make changes to their shard landscapes on behalf of players that request such things through their Governors in Royal Council. These are the items that I feel should be on a "shopping menu" idea like the ones you suggested Kyronix before. Let me ellaborate.

Take Trinsic's Market on Catskills (see picture below) --- that could be on a shopping cart that is selected once per term and the money used to pay for it and the materials must be donated. The EM's would take that from the city stone and trade officers and deliver it at the agreed upon time frame between "the king and governor". It would stand for the duration of the Governor's term.

Isn't that beautiful? :) Yes!!! So now... let's move on to the short duration decorations. @Kyronix @Bleak ... it would be nice to be able to (as you see in this picture that Pandora posted for us on Catskills' Facebook) lock down and set security for additional "decorative" items such as chests, plants, books, pens, lights, food, etc. etc. to continue to spruce up what has already been added to the city for a short duration. As @Smoot mentioned, I think 6 hours is plenty.

The "Governor's Decorating Tool" could be something that you can get from the city stone from donated monies and it should have a limit use, say 50 lockdowns per tool and sure you can buy additional tools if you want but the price goes up incrementally such as first tool 250,000g --- second 500,000 --- third 1,000,000 --- fourth 2,000,000 --- five 4,000,000 --- six 8,000,000 etc. etc. That tool would allow Governors to lock things down and set security for those items to either a) just him/herself, b) a designated person, c) just citizens, or d) all players. They should also allow for the raising, lowering, and turning of said objects. Items can be unlocked without taking an "use" but to re-lock them takes another "use". After 6 hours any items left locked down go poof!!

So we have two needs --- A EM-Empowered "Shopping Cart" of additions to cities AND a "Temporary Lockdown Governor's Decorating Tool". I could see the Trinsic Market above being part of that shopping cart, I could also see even smaller things like "a small working stable" that is a 7x7. Another great "shopping cart" idea are the wedding locations, such as in Castle British or Serpent's Hold (do it way up for some of the "dignitaries" marriages like the Dukes and Earls and Barons of the cities)! I know for @Pandora_CoD , a "Ball Room" addition to a shopping cart for Castle British would be phenomenal in addition to something for the Library. For my friend @Norrar something being done to the Moonglow Zoo in the form of a Festival with mini-games or sorts would be awesome!

For me (as I was Gov. of Minoc), I could see setting up a way to compete for either ore or stone an excellent shopping cart addition! Like for example set up a "booth" in Minoc maybe by the bank where the city stone is that allows deliveries of ore, ingots, or granite stone that keeps a tally record and recognizes whether the items are newly mined/created or not, rejecting any that isn't new. And then hands out "gold, silver, and bronze" medals. That would be so great!!!

But all these things would still need a bit of TLC if you will and would still need the Governor to be able to lock down and secure things for those events.

Does that help you understand the needs better? I hope so!

~ Sue.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There used to be bulletin boards in the game that anyone could post to. Revive that code.

Right, I was one of the ones that wanted that access. The headlines are a great idea, but implementing them in place of the old bulletin boards was a poor choice.

I guess we need two bulletin boards, one for the headlines and that functioned the way they did before. There is a need for govs to post multiple messages, to say there isn't is just...shortsighted. Ex: Multiple events in one week, trade deal changes, multiple plotlines...

We need two-way communication IN THE CITIES, not at a random house somewhere that not everyone knows about, nor an out of game website. If most players won't bother to come to Stratics, they won't read other sites either. Getting people to use the in game boards was hard enough. Human nature dictates that people won't go out of their way unless they absolutely have to; this is a game, thus they don't have to.

I strongly suggest that you make the City Heralds double clickable to pull up the headline system and return the bulletin boards to the way they were.

My dear friend Dot, once again you are so correct. :)

@Kyronix --- how about allowing the CITY HERALDS (not the Town Cryers) to announce their city's news that is posted on the bulletin board? I mean I think we pay them an awful lot to stand by the stone and do hardly anything, hehe. Let's put them to work? What do you think?

@Kyronix --- and is there a way to allow for players to "reply" to the headlines on the current bulletin board? Like the old style BB's? That code has to be around somewhere and if we can't attach it to the current GBB, then extend it to a second BB next to the current. Also, please please move the City of Britain's board to be closer to the West Britain Bank? And make sure these BB's are at the main banks of every town where they are much more visible?

Thank you so very much for all the hard work, please do not think we're not appreciative. We are... :)

~ Sue.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Bianca_CoD The intent, as we've discussed previously, is to build up a library (although I think I like shopping cart better!) of areas that can be enhanced for special occasions. Ultimately the entire library will be available through automation that would require some requisite resources and can be built for a period of time. Some examples so far include the market you've posted, also we've done a peace summit area on Great Lakes, and an archery tournament area on Baja. The "what" is generated by the needs of the players and EMs that work together to get them built.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes @Kyronix , I was very excited to hear of that and that would make me want to run for Governor again in Minoc. Now if you can just add a bit to it? With the Governor's Decorator Tool we could really expand upon the idea of the "shopping carts" and give the Governors' what they are seeking, which is to bring more players to the events and allow for a fuller, richer immersion into the game we all love.

~ Sue.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What a waste of time. Are some of you people so damned crazy that you honestly think this is needed? Plenty of people do player events and don't need things locked down. Some of you act so needy, when you are perfectly capable of doing things without these "special" powers.

Governors don't immediately mean "nice" players. You bet your butt people would find ways to abuse things like "locking" things down. I don't want ugly governor decorations muddling up the cities.

God you all act like you are completely incapable of doing the things players have done for YEARS. Stop asking for stupid stuff, there is SO MUCH that deserves attention by the Devs, and this is NOT it. A lot of people don't care about the governor system, they don't care about player events, they don't care about any of this.

Letting Governors have more powers is NOT going to bring more players back to UO.

I feel like I'm in crazy land. I guess that's what happens when the first term Governors on Atlantic were able to not only COORDINATE without needing "town criers", but also hold countless player events WITHOUT having to lock stuff down. Sure we sometimes had a bad egg here and there, but did it stop anything? Did it make us this desperate? Absolutely not.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What a waste of time. Are some of you people so damned crazy that you honestly think this is needed? Plenty of people do player events and don't need things locked down. Some of you act so needy, when you are perfectly capable of doing things without these "special" powers.

Governors don't immediately mean "nice" players. You bet your butt people would find ways to abuse things like "locking" things down. I don't want ugly governor decorations muddling up the cities.

God you all act like you are completely incapable of doing the things players have done for YEARS. Stop asking for stupid stuff, there is SO MUCH that deserves attention by the Devs, and this is NOT it. A lot of people don't care about the governor system, they don't care about player events, they don't care about any of this.

Letting Governors have more powers is NOT going to bring more players back to UO.

I feel like I'm in crazy land. I guess that's what happens when the first term Governors on Atlantic were able to not only COORDINATE without needing "town criers", but also hold countless player events WITHOUT having to lock stuff down. Sure we sometimes had a bad egg here and there, but did it stop anything? Did it make us this desperate? Absolutely not.
So you do not agree with our suggestions? That's perfectly acceptable. Folks have varying opinions. But recognize that you're getting angry over people describing what they would like to see in their game that they pay for just as much as you do. That's an awful lot of stress coming out of one person on something so trivial.

Bottom line is @Kyronix enjoys reading our suggestions and our feedback and has been long working on a way to deliver more amazing things to us in an easier way. Enhancing the Governor System is one of those things he's been working on. So I am sure he'll encourage us to continue to do so, for it can only improve our game.

None of the stuff that was suggested here takes anything away from you playing the way you want to play, so why the big huff and puff over it? Have a glass of wine! It's gotta be 5 o'clock somewhere! :)

~ Sue.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We have a small Dev team and there are countless other ways they can spend their time that would actually benefit the game as a whole. Are they all things *I* like? Probably not, but helping the game doesnt = helping me

You guys spend more time complaining about the governor system on Stratics than you do actually setting up your player events or spreading the word of them. You dont even seem to like it when other people run for Governor and beat you or your friends in elections, so it honestly seems like you want special treatment.

The powers you seem to want, are not ones that should be in the hands of players, at least not in UO. It has been discussed TO DEATH.

The Governor system has so much potential, so much room for enhancing, but if all you keep thinking of is "locking stuff down" or "Town Criers" then its obvious your creative mind is so very limited.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pandora never quit and she never said she would! It was I that quit and I have done so many times (as we all have some time to time) but have kept my main house account opened for our city... and there are many folks that have quit that still manage to provide opinions here and do so with the best interest at heart, I know @Aedon Durreah is one of those that for years even after quitting for a time would still come to these forums to contribute his ideas and suggestions... are you saying we're not welcomed?

So if it has been discussed to death, and you do not a) agree with it or b) enjoy hearing about it... why are you still so in the mix of it? Take yourself out and save yourself some stress. @Kyronix asked specific questions to us in regards to the system, thus we're answering him.

~ Sue.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Someone needs to be here to call people out on their delusions.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing in this thread will bring in new players and it sure won't increase enjoyment of the game for anything greater than a small handfull of players. This whole process adds little actual filler to the game and sure isn't actual content hence, for the most part, it's a waste of effort and time.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
We have a small Dev team and there are countless other ways they can spend their time that would actually benefit the game as a whole. Are they all things *I* like? Probably not, but helping the game doesnt = helping me

You guys spend more time complaining about the governor system on Stratics than you do actually setting up your player events or spreading the word of them. You dont even seem to like it when other people run for Governor and beat you or your friends in elections, so it honestly seems like you want special treatment.

The powers you seem to want, are not ones that should be in the hands of players, at least not in UO. It has been discussed TO DEATH.

The Governor system has so much potential, so much room for enhancing, but if all you keep thinking of is "locking stuff down" or "Town Criers" then its obvious your creative mind is so very limited.
In it's present form I fail to see any potential in the Governor system.

I was seeing a GREAT potential in not only the Governor system but in the City Loyalty system.... but that too fell flat from the start and hasn't really done much of anything for anyone yet.

I'm sorry but I just don't see it.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In it's present form I fail to see any potential in the Governor system.

I was seeing a GREAT potential in not only the Governor system but in the City Loyalty system.... but that too fell flat from the start and hasn't really done much of anything for anyone yet.

I'm sorry but I just don't see it.
I think you are a bit jaded.

The Governor program on Atlantic brought lots of people together who normally wouldn't have. It let us all be creative and really bring out some great storylines, which again may not have ever happened without the program. Mind you, this was all possible even without EM Bennu.

Just the feeling of being elected, and getting to interact with our EM on a more involved level really encouraged people to bring out creativity they may have been too shy to bring out before.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think you are a bit jaded.

The Governor program on Atlantic brought lots of people together who normally wouldn't have. It let us all be creative and really bring out some great storylines, which again may not have ever happened without the program. Mind you, this was all possible even without EM Bennu.

Just the feeling of being elected, and getting to interact with our EM on a more involved level really encouraged people to bring out creativity they may have been too shy to bring out before.
I'm guessing that's based on your perception and the EM's you interact with. On GL's the EM starts off and follows by the book..... Says the exact same speech at the start of every council meeting without any varriance at all despite the fact that each and every one of us has been a Governor for the last 3 to 12 months..... We sit thru the same thing every meeting, followed by updates on the state of the realm which we all fully know because we attend every EM event.... but it's all well and good... at which they barely show much if any interest in what's going on... There is barely any interaction... and then concludes and makes the speediest exit.

The level of "interaction" very low. We try to interact but aren't really allowed much ..... and beyond the RP community you might get 3 other folk to attend the Governors meetings. But I think most of the ones who used to come don't anymore because they quite quickly found that the EM's aren't DEV's and aren't going to tell DEV's to "fix" anything "add" anything or do anything for "them". So they quit coming.

Truth is outside the GL's RP community no one else wants to sit at a meeting that doesn't have any "action" and where they are not going to "get" anything.

I'm sure it's more "exciting" on Atlantic because EM Bennu probably makes it that way and I"m sure more than 3 people in the community bother to attend. I could pretty much copy and paste for you the entire Governors meeting from any meeting in the last 6 months as they are all basically identical. Same speech every time..... followed by the only change that ever happens is each Governor telling what's going on in their city..... Usually not very much but often talking about events we've put on typically as a group though there is one who is ever absent from much of that... (not part of the RP community and works a lot so not often even in UO)... followed by a brief update from the other EM about events 98% of us have all attended (which is a nice recap).... followed by a very brief telling of any requests we've made (Which usually aren't many because we've been told we pretty much can't request anything but once per term..... and if we are all doing an event then the one request made by one of us becomes a request for all of us... and we are all then counted in the request so no one else can make a request. ) Which 90% of the time the requests are either too late to be of any benefit or denied. Very rarely are they actually approved. But given that outside the RP community there is almost nothing ever going on ..... As in there is the MoA auction every week on Thursday which they aren't allowed a gate for... Denied. And the EM events which beyond about a dozen folk outside the RP community and only a few from the RP community, are mostly only attended by Cross Sharders and folk looking for a drop to sell. Because after years of having to put up with the rude behavior of so many and the bad way the drops are handled most folk that tried to enjoy the events for the actual event quit coming because it became far too difficult to understand what was going on with all the constant spam and rude behavior from a specific group of folk whom I won't name.

I've heard from over a dozen folk how they don't attend EM events anymore because they a) never ever get anything, b) Can't follow what's going on because there is too much spell spam and other vulgar stuff going on, and c) Can't keep up and get sick of dying 20 times at every event just to not get anything.

So I'm happy for you that things are obviously not that bad on Atl but I don't play on Atl....... and I'm not about to play on Atl. My "HOME" is on GL's.... I have 9 accounts worth of crap on GL's and 14 years invested in it and it's history... I know all the RP history of GL's for the last 14+ years and I honestly have no desire to leave. I love the city of Yew where many of my characters lived and died for the last 14+ years. I also love the RP city of Newcastle that I have come to love... and keep alive. The expense of moving 9 accounts of crap to another shard is too high... And to just up and leave isn't an option not that I'd ever want to anyway.

When the RP community on GL's dies I suppose I'll be quitting UO as there will be next to nothing left in this game holding me here. It's not the pixels that keep me here. It's not the EM that keeps me here though the EM's have probably lengthened the stay. If it weren't for EM events I am not sure I'd still be here. I don't attend them for the stuff though I do love the drops I've gotten and they remain on display for all to see in either the Hall of Virtue or Malag's private residence or they are in the possession of the character that got them. I had high hopes for the Governor program... but those where quite quickly dashed. I had hoped that my beloved city would finally get what it'd been missing for so many years. Yew doesn't have a Tavern and I'd hoped it would perhaps get a nice open air tavern like some shards do have so we could hold events such as wine tastings.... Denied. I had hoped that Yew and Minoc would finally get the Docks that they are missing.... It's always baffled me why Yew has a Shipmaster.... FAR INLAND! but no Dock. Denied... And if anyone remembers Yew of old there WAS a bridge from the end of the road south of the main city to the Yew far farm across the bay... Perhaps I am remembering that from one of the games of old but it begs for a bridge... or ferry system like Skara..... heck even would settle for a magic teleport ....... Denied.

And finally I travel quite a bit to other shards.... a Vast majority of which have BEAUTIFUL deco at the banks of Britain and Luna..... many have lovely deco in a great number of the cities.... but GL's remains very blank.... The things added by the EM's you will ONLY find if you have attended the EM events... otherwise it's extremely sparse.... Others talk of shard pride..... Well... many of us on GL's would love to have some of that. But we don't. Since our shard is about the blandest shard you will ever see. And if you ask to have deco..... DENIED. I've seen in my travels some amazing and wonderful things that could be extremely useful for the community...... but on GL's... you won't find any of that. Now don't get me wrong I've always loved our EM's.... they are just obviously not decorators. Which in a way saddens me greatly. But what they are good at and it's been obvious is that they are extremely good at UO Lore and doing incredible events with that lore.... VERY RP... and full of lore which ties into the rich history of Ultima.

So yes maybe my view is jaded. But it's only that way because of what I've seen..... or not seen. And yes I've attended Governors meetings on other shards.... vastly different from those on GL's.

Some say they don't need to see deco.... I love the uniqueness of every shard. It's the deco and things on the shards that makes each one unique.... placed there by Seers, EM's of old and new. I personally LOVE that. I'd give the EM anything they wanted to have that... Hell I'd place it all out for them if they couldn't deco on their own... but that's not allowed.

What I wouldn't give to add that sort of ambiance to my own city as it's Governor. Long before Governors I'd been the Mayor of Yew for over 10 years... Thru all the plague in Yew I spent much of my RP time attempting to find a "cure" for the plague... Willa and her sisters were always extremely saddened by the swamp plague in their homeland... and forever working to find a way to end it. Imagine their joy when it was finally gone. Now I'm left with an eternal fire that blazes where Queen Dawns home once stood... a perpetual reminder of that life lost. Near the Abbey is her lonely Grave.

Yet I travel to Yew on every other shard and am greeted by lovely decorations at the Winery, around the entrance to Heartwood and even in the Abbey itself. But there is nothing like that in any city on GL's. It saddens me.... and I am not alone. Anyone on GL's who travels to other shards will ask the same thing.... Why? Why do they get that and we are denied? Why can they have so many other things like a functional Moongate at Britain Bank and we are denied? They took away our unique tunnel from the Gate to the Bank..... and left us with NOTHING. Moved poor Sparky from his cave home to live out in the elements OUTSIDE Moonglow Zoo. And I'm supposed to not feel jaded?

You bet I'm jaded and I'm sure at least a 100 other people on GL's are too.

Last edited:

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wow, that was the longest post I've ever read on Stratics

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Really, I was impressed by the amount of time and thought that went into it, no offense Mal :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Malag, sounds like you need to spend some time on Catskills. Welcome to come and "rent an apartment" from us and RP here a bit! :)

And if you want to try your hand at some evil RP, I created a theme for those of us that enjoy playing characters that are up to NO GOOD.

~ Sue.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Promathia is 100% correct.
The Governor system is only one small part of the game.
Like everything else in the game that has evolved over time it will never be perfect and it can not possibly ever live up to everyone's expectations.
And it should never have to live up to the expectations of the scarily passionate stratics people who in their own words have come and gone from UO more times then they can count.
There is a term for this type of person. Junkie.
And I am pretty sure that letting junkies write their own prescriptions would be going down a seriously bad road.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm probably alone on this. But I'm so glad Governors can't lock down. I'd like to take it away from EMs too ;) I've seen some really horrid stuff on some shards. Great Lakes isn't too bad and I'd like to keep it that way. I was on Legends or someplace and they still had the Trinsic entrances barricaded from the Jou'nar invasion. When was that 10 years ago? It would be great if someone could go around and clean up a lot of the mess out there now. The water troughs, paintings, statues, etc littering up the country side.

Now if only the Governor could do it and it had a timer that after 72 hrs it disappeared, maybe. But if someone took my Trinsic and started dropping flowers everywhere, statues to the current Governor and such, I'd go ballistic. Everything starts off in UO as a reasonable and sensible idea. Then one person goes off the leash and creates a nightmare. Far beyond anyone could ever imagine. I've seen this type of behavior in UO over and over lol. Then we're stuck with the nightmare for 6 months? no no no no no lol /rant over

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Malag, sounds like you need to spend some time on Catskills. Welcome to come and "rent an apartment" from us and RP here a bit! :)

And if you want to try your hand at some evil RP, I created a theme for those of us that enjoy playing characters that are up to NO GOOD.

~ Sue.
I know that sounds easy but... truth is my Home is GL's. I honestly can't really get into playing on another shard. What if I liked it? I'm seriously not moving 9 accounts to another shard. And I just don't like not having a "home".... While I could try another shard I just can't. My friends, my investment, everything is on GL's.

Sure I've played some other shards, but it's never the same. Even tried Siege. While they can be a fun distraction from time they just aren't "home".

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now if only the Governor could do it and it had a timer that after 72 hrs it disappeared, maybe. But if someone took my Trinsic and started dropping flowers everywhere, statues to the current Governor and such, I'd go ballistic. Everything starts off in UO as a reasonable and sensible idea. Then one person goes off the leash and creates a nightmare. Far beyond anyone could ever imagine. I've seen this type of behavior in UO over and over lol. Then we're stuck with the nightmare for 6 months? no no no no no lol /rant over
In my proposal its 6 hours for Governor-created lockdowns I think that's something we'd be happy to live with. Its 6 months for the EM-created "shopping cart" libraries for certain cities, like for example the Trinsic Market. So no, its not every Governor able to lock down stuff for 6 months, its just 6 hours... with a tool that would increasingly be more expensive to get and limited to 50 uses.

~ Sue.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know that sounds easy but... truth is my Home is GL's. I honestly can't really get into playing on another shard. What if I liked it? I'm seriously not moving 9 accounts to another shard. And I just don't like not having a "home".... While I could try another shard I just can't. My friends, my investment, everything is on GL's.

Sure I've played some other shards, but it's never the same. Even tried Siege. While they can be a fun distraction from time they just aren't "home".
I urge you to try us, try the apartments. :) Its a very nice idea for folks that have buildings on their home shards. So you still have a "home" on Catskills without having to give up your buildings.

~ Sue.