• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Producer Update

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I completely agree with you on the comment about low-end pieces with just one or two maxed out properties. I hope we'll still be able to find those, because I sure don't want to have to go hunting in the Abyss for imbuing ingredients with the horrid connection problems I have on every shard these days.

I used to love going to the Abyss, as well as other dungeons, but anymore I just avoid places where there are long distances to run/walk to get somewhere because I'm sick and tired of how it's no longer possible to just hold down the mouse button and see your character move. Now it's click-hold-move 3 steps if you're lucky-stop like you're stuck in cement, click-hold-move 3 steps-stop, click-hold-move 3 steps-stop, and repeat. And this happens on every single shard, even the ones that have the supposedly "best" connection and lower latency than I used to ever see.

There's also the situation where you recall into some dungeons, especially Shame, on some shards and your character and pet are dead by the time you see them again because it takes so long for the screen to finally show them. I'm not sure if that is a connection problem or something more insidious such as people running illegal programs to let their characters farm those dungeons all day long without interference from other players. If so, why is it being allowed to continue?

I truly hope that getting an additional engineer who can help Bleak fine-tune connection issues is a top priority for Mesanna and Rob Denton. And I also hope that they are able to beef up the GM staff, if that is now a Broadsword responsibility, or can convince EA to spend just a little bit more money on it. And if that isn't possible, I hope they will give Bleak and the new engineer the go-ahead to come up with some new ways to make playing intolerable for the scripters, instead of just letting them take over because they think no one cares and they have free rein to just let their greed and selfishness drive off the people who are still struggling to play and enjoy UO without cheating.

If we do end up having a Return to Britannia promotion later this year, I really fear that the connection issues and the really blatant scripting that has become more prevalent are going to keep people who might have returned from sticking around, no matter what else is new in the game.
Sounds like it's all on your end. I know that doesn't happen for me unless I'm in a Champ Spawn dungeon - normally I just move in whatever direction my arrow's pointing on-screen (right clicking to do so), then left click and I'm on autopilot. Granted, I have a new computer (well, it's a few months old now, it's probably halfway to obsolete), but running UO on my last one (a 7ear old computer with XP that I got in my junior year of college) was a nightmare.

If the scripters are a problem, go to Felucca - when I farmed for Minax items in Blackthorn, I always went to Fel because nobody went there. It was nice having the evil mages (or gold elementals) all to myself, though one guy would occasionally show up and lure my GD away/lure spawn on me in an attempt to kill me. I went back there on my red, saw him in town, and he didn't even lift a finger despite all my taunting. When he tried it again another time, I (once again on my red) attacked him in the dungeon & he just ran outside.

The other dungeons in Fel likely won't be crowded at all, since there's no recalling. And scripting is even less likely due to the risk of being killed.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like it's all on your end.
Such a simple solution. Must be my problem.

Oh well. I'll just go take my "discouraged" self elsewhere and give the moderators a rest for a while again. Too much other stuff to do than bother with this BS.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Such a simple solution. Must be my problem.

Oh well. I'll just go take my "discouraged" self elsewhere and give the moderators a rest for a while again. Too much other stuff to do than bother with this BS.
No need to be rude about it. Not everyone will have the same problems with their connection. What are your computer's specs, OS, who's your ISP, etc?

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lets hope theres plenty of new turn in rewards...and not just 2 dumb new dyes....everyone wants nice deco replicas like the heavily duped scaffolds etc etc and the suchlike

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and something to collect again...on the anniversary gifts...the town bunnie names was a step in the right direction....too many colours again though.....silly really ....lets think the olde solid 11 colours....max....rare white...or similar

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No need to be rude about it. Not everyone will have the same problems with their connection. What are your computer's specs, OS, who's your ISP, etc?
the point is you shouldnt have to have a new computer to play the game in its current state. the computer i play UO on plays other games like wow fine but the EC is too much for it. i can run it, but its choppy especially when around houses. grafics that came out 6 years ago shouldnt be a problem for machines that came out after that. but they are.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry you thought I was being rude. However, the connection problems didn't start happening until EA moved UO onto "cloud" servers. I experience better connections at certain times of the day and worse connections at other times during the day. It also seems to not matter whether I'm playing UO with no other applications open and after a fresh reboot or with multiple other applications open at the same time. 90% of the time anymore the connection is just bad. And the weird experiences in the dungeons where I suspect there is something else going on besides just "cloud server" problems also include UO just shutting down completely and then losing my Internet connection. I'm very suspicious that this kind of a very hard crash is being caused by other players and not something EA or Broadsword is doing. But I hope it IS something that they can track and do something about.

Also, my comment about being "discouraged" has to do with apparently being put on Stratics' "discouraged users" list. I don't appreciate it. I try my best to be an honest, respectful, and caring person. And it really sucks, in my opinion, to have someone arbitrarily decide that I cannot voice my opinion about a service for which I pay on the only "official" forum available to me. But apparently that's the way things work around here anymore. I've lost a lot of respect for some people as a result. And I don't think I'm the only one in that boat either.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I feel Tina's pain. Specs, OS, ISP etc questions shouldnt even be asked. I have the same problem and this is the computer I have played on for a couple of years. Some days I outrun everything ;P somedays its the two step dance. Anything else I play runs fine...

Reactions: Lug

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been having one client freeze completely to where I have to log out and back in to fix it, while another client running at the same time has no issues. I don't get it.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been having one client freeze completely to where I have to log out and back in to fix it, while another client running at the same time has no issues. I don't get it.
This too. I freeze, can';t move, cant talk, can do anything. Yet I still get all the chat, still see people coming and going, so I know I'm not dropped...

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This too. I freeze, can';t move, cant talk, can do anything. Yet I still get all the chat, still see people coming and going, so I know I'm not dropped...
That happens to me too on rare occasions but I think it´s a client thing and not a connection thing as a quick reboot of the client usually solves it for me.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well everything stops moving and I don't get new chat messages either.

It'll only happen on one client at a time though. I don't even notice if its in the background until I switch to it, the other will just keep going on like nothing happened.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry you thought I was being rude. However, the connection problems didn't start happening until EA moved UO onto "cloud" servers. I experience better connections at certain times of the day and worse connections at other times during the day. It also seems to not matter whether I'm playing UO with no other applications open and after a fresh reboot or with multiple other applications open at the same time. 90% of the time anymore the connection is just bad. And the weird experiences in the dungeons where I suspect there is something else going on besides just "cloud server" problems also include UO just shutting down completely and then losing my Internet connection. I'm very suspicious that this kind of a very hard crash is being caused by other players and not something EA or Broadsword is doing. But I hope it IS something that they can track and do something about.
Ah. No worries - hard to tell intent on the 'net. I haven't had too many problems, as I've said. I get a little lag during champs & I have crashed frequently in the Stygian Abyss dungeon. The latter annoys me to no end. I just hope it doesn't get worse.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Tina, I don't know anything about a "discouraged user" list, but I'd be more than discouraged if my game was as unplayable as you describe. I hope you find some resolution.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and something to collect again...on the anniversary gifts...the town bunnie names was a step in the right direction....too many colours again though.....silly really ....lets think the olde solid 11 colours....max....rare white...or similar
bump ....still hopefull of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Below is a brief description of the things we have been working on:
  • We have added new items to turn in and new items you can obtain to clean up Britannia
Please tell me Non-faction Morph Earrings are one of the new items XD

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Have you not seen that there is no timer on mortal strike at all. You can be remortaled before the other one wears off, basically chain mortaled. If you don't this yet, you probably don't pvp at all.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Have you not seen that there is no timer on mortal strike at all. You can be remortaled before the other one wears off, basically chain mortaled. If you don't this yet, you probably don't pvp at all.
Mortal strike has diminishing returns....=X maybe you should learn some game mechanics before complaining about something being overpowered.