• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Producer Update

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would agree, however UO isnt exactly a "real" game. complaining about spelling from official sites / releases for a game like UO is like going to a yard sale and complaining that something is slightly damaged or worn.
At the crazy amount they charge for subscriptions to it still we could at least expect them to know how to spell it, though...

T

Tazar

Okay, yall made me do it...logged in on Atlantic, and yes it is there and working fine =)
Interesting... I spent a lot of time running back and forth around that inlet then when looking for that odd person to return an item to for Honesty gains. :p

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like a solid publish. Good too see a pub without too much "fluff"

I hope Virtue vrs vice can be participated in without a guild, or with a very small guild. i wouldnt expect a system where over 2 people from the same guild are needed to be on to really work on any shard other than atlantic.

Only major thing i see that it is lacking is work on transfer problems (non vendorable bug, delay times, not being able to log on)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Spelling is a funny thing...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Now back on topic...

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Kelmo...... Tazar is looking very long in the stripes....
Moving a house is hard, moving a company......is hell.
Been there done that tooo.
Let me tell you something, that poor dev team must have been hustling tail and keeping the game afloat....
Not something for the faint of heart.
The Dark Lady I could tell was not one to have been sitting at her desk for that move.... but in the trenchs making sure it was done right and no loose screws, nuts , or bolts were out of place...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I was not there. I agree with you, though.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I like my stripes. I have plenty.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm just glad I'm still able to log into UO to play to me that is the most important thing on my computer to do.
I do the things I want to do, and stay away from the things I don't want to do.
So no complaints here

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Now back to topic...

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let the spelling go or you will be excluded from this thread.
While I had not noticed, much less commented, upon the spelling itself, I do have to say that the notion of a moderator wanting to ban someone for favoring correct is a sad and distressing one. So much else has gone on here, action-less or essentially action-less, that is much more destructive of community than someone saying "they should spell this word correctly."

-Galen's player

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Maybe you had not been back long enough to see the changes. We now do have a Dev Team who care for us and UO and want to bring life back to UO. That's not easy but they have a good plane and do their best, that's all I ask for.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I had not noticed, much less commented, upon the spelling itself, I do have to say that the notion of a moderator wanting to ban someone for favoring correct is a sad and distressing one. So much else has gone on here, action-less or essentially action-less, that is much more destructive of community than someone saying "they should spell this word correctly."

-Galen's player
i think it wasnt so much the spelling, but that it would lead to accusation of the devs ignorance of pvp and felucca.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The loot change is pretty huge. UO armor tends to go out of date about every 4 years, i see overland loot as one of these significant changes.

Itll be pretty cool seeing the stuff that become available and cheap tho. clean 10ssi imbued will most likely be run of the mil now, with greater arty / legendary armor being pretty much a requirement instead of a bonus.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think it wasnt so much the spelling, but that it would lead to accusation of the devs ignorance of pvp and felucca.
Such an accusation on that basis would be dumb. Especially when one considers how often the rather few people who play there constantly also misspell Felucca. Indeed when I saw that misspelling I considered it a sign she actually played there more often than not when she plays because the way she misspelled it, "Feluccia," is a pretty common one among the Fel players. (Others to a lesser degree too.)

I, by contrast, think they should spell it right for the same reason that I think George RR Martin never should do what I do on occasion, which is misspell "Jon Snow" as "John Snow." (People on Youtube who post clips also sometimes make that same error. But Martin shouldn't.)

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The loot change is pretty huge. UO armor tends to go out of date about every 4 years, i see overland loot as one of these significant changes.

Itll be pretty cool seeing the stuff that become available and cheap tho. clean 10ssi imbued will most likely be run of the mil now, with greater arty / legendary armor being pretty much a requirement instead of a bonus.
They didn't say overland. They said "global loot system." In context they likely mean everywhere (including but not limited to overland) OR just in dungeons (because elsewhere they've floated this as an alternative to the content upgrades some but not all dungeons have received).

I hope that legendary stuff will not become a requirement. Indeed with as many property caps as we have to me it seems more like you'll have more options about how to reach the caps. I do fear that the best stuff will become too available from, say, trolls or other easy monsters. But given how uncommon the best stuff without negatives is, if they upgrade monsters and loot correspondingly it could go well, conceivably.

My fear or this in essence is that they will under-estimate how tricky this is going to be. AND that they will take it as a substitute for content.

-Galen's player

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They didn't say overland. They said "global loot system." In context they likely mean everywhere (including but not limited to overland) OR just in dungeons (because elsewhere they've floated this as an alternative to the content upgrades some but not all dungeons have received).

I hope that legendary stuff will not become a requirement. Indeed with as many property caps as we have to me it seems more like you'll have more options about how to reach the caps. I do fear that the best stuff will become too available from, say, trolls or other easy monsters. But given how uncommon the best stuff without negatives is, if they upgrade monsters and loot correspondingly it could go well, conceivably.

My fear or this in essence is that they will under-estimate how tricky this is going to be. AND that they will take it as a substitute for content.

-Galen's player
agreed. its a tricky situation that i hope is handled wisely. 1 em event could yield a few clean major artifacts / legendarys. i wouldnt mind seeing a armor / stat boost. believe it or not its still extremely hard to max out stats. tank mage suits can run 1 - 3 bil currently. mageweapon suits 2bil, dexter suits 800mil - 3bil, high end skill increase suits 2-3 bil.

more availability of shame style loot would bring these costs down, while also an incentive for doing old content. as it is right now, peerless, and "normal content" just isnt worth doing. the shame style loot would be an added plus that would get many back to doing old content. very good for the game in my opinion.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra use the choo choo !!!
The best things are coming James Moriarty. The plans are just now being worked on and the dev do need our patience... EA has been a pain in the tush for them of late and it makes it hard to do your work and move an office full of equipment. It's not the packing that kills you..
its that unpacking and finding it a home and setting it up the right way.... it also dont help they need an engineere too.
August will be fine.
September if needed.
I just care that they are working on it.
They might be UO Gods but in actuality they are human.... and tire out just like the rest of us.
I am very pleased so many are willing to give them the time....
I am a happy camper...
Hey Petra... you got a dancing snoopy anywhere I can borrow??

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

And no. You do not get yer 14 seconds back.

DanteSignas

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Too little too late for me. Closed my account 2 days ago. Tired of waiting for new content. That's my choice though. I hope the remaining folks enjoy the new things when it finally gets here. As for me, I came back in March and made it till the end of June. I was already bored to tears within 3 months. Perhaps I am hard to please. Either way, after being gone 2 years and then coming back I was less then impressed. It was nice to visit and adventure with a few folks but it just wasn't fulfilling enough for me and quickly became depressing. Maybe i'll be back. Make it worthwhile someday.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Too little too late for me. Closed my account 2 days ago. Tired of waiting for new content. That's my choice though. I hope the remaining folks enjoy the new things when it finally gets here. As for me, I came back in March and made it till the end of June. I was already bored to tears within 3 months. Perhaps I am hard to please. Either way, after being gone 2 years and then coming back I was less then impressed. It was nice to visit and adventure with a few folks but it just wasn't fulfilling enough for me and quickly became depressing. Maybe i'll be back. Make it worthwhile someday.
Well, they say that they will do an RTB (Return to Britannia) event when this publish goes live so you should be able to check it all out at that time.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Kelmo!!!!
Ok a great man once said....."............ you cant please all people all the time"
I wont bore you with the whole thing but Sam was right.
It is very true that we all have a diferent point of view of life and what pleases us.
Dante has the right to leave if the game is not up to his par.
I cant say he played to the nth degree in the game and used all the possible waysUO has to keep you occupied.
Had a talk with some very nice folks on Pac today.
About fishing and the ways we enjoy the real and game version.
Decoing homes, planting gardens and how its a shame the Dev wont let bigger homes in Malas... (dont go there)
IT was a normal conversation between friends.
There is so much to do in game as we talked of the diferent things to get to points we set in game.
As my grandpa would say we were shooting the breeze.
I cant say Dante likes these things in the game or if he is a fight jocky. (an old Seer use to call the pvp, croud)
He has the right to open or close his account.
As do we all.
I am sorry he didnt find his return to his liking.
I do hope the changes and new content will lure more back... we all know we need the bodys.
I know people who like to solo, and hate being in a croud.
There is the other side of the croud who love to group up and run in packs.
Some just log in to chat to the players.. and never pick up a tool or plant a flower...
This is why I am willing to give Mesanna and her people the time needed.
I have the time to wait.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I understand people are tired of waiting but it is a lot of stuff we will get and I can wait a few months more as this stuff had been on top of my wish list for years.

We will see the Virtue vs Vice on TC in 2 weeks, at least that should give the PvP'ers something to do with testing it and I believe non PvP'ers should take a look at it too, to see how it will effect their game as I believe it will work in Trammel zone too, think Mesanna said that.

The global loot update, if done right, may be able to bring a lot players back.

I also look forward to see MyUO back, it will make it much easier to see who play on the shards and where they belong.

I look forward to see the new Trade Quest, that anything that will bring people around in the land will be good.

It take time to get this old game back to life but the last few years had been good for UO. The devs we have now, seem to understand that Community and player towns is a big part of UO. We do not need a lot new land and a lot new items. We need stuff players like to do together but also can do solo.

I remember we was a lot miners hanging out in the mining caves and learned to know each others. Also younger players would meet at the forest hunting the small brigand and monster spawn there or just cutting trees. Now crafters use a whole day standing in their house filling vendors and have no time to hang out with others.

Lets give Mesanna and her yeam the time they need to get this done right and without to many bugs.

James Moriarty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Well I have been back for a few weeks now and I must say its not the lack of content that's the problem. Its the lack of players. I am on Europa and its hard finding a group of people who want to do the same thing as you. Hell its even hard to get enough people to get a level 6 spell weaving circle now never mind a group to go do Exodus.

SunWolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing like that on Atlantic that I am aware of. It does sound like a good idea though.

The Ferry in Yew is in Fel and was the first ferry in the game. It is on the west side of yew and it will take you to West Yew University (western pennisula). Everything is in town, if anyone wish's to see it. A sw road will lead to it, the school was a player ran school that was started by a person named Silver Dyrad. Many new players learned the game from that area.

Also, I live in Fel, for 15+ years and I spell it wrong at times. Hell there is so many ways people pronouce Jhelom and Minoc. Who Really Cares?!

Last edited:

DanteSignas

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets give Mesanna and her yeam the time they need to get this done right and without to many bugs.
The problem with this though Freja is that time is money. No one is discounting our monthly fees while we wait are they? They want full price every month for this game, rain or shine. It was cute to wait back in the days when there were a lot of players but nowadays, with so many other options out there, including free options, "time" is a huge problem.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I don't understand your point, the fee had not changed that much the last 16 years but as we are few players now, so EA make less money from us = less money to improve the game.
The fee is not that much. I don't expect more than what we get for that little money. If Mesanna and her team, can bring back life to UO, it will be good both for us and good for them.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On Europa also people call to do focus with them other times of the day, in general chat. I was bringing my 2 weavers there three times yesterday! Most people come to the 7 UK time circle . One hour earlier every night there is a gathering at the West Brit Bank. It lasts one hour. Brit governour is there , and Minocs , and many of the others from time to time. Also the elder crafters, guild leaders and anyone who wants to mingle , discuss something ask questions, get repairs, and eat pizza! Its aimed at meeting new and returning players , greet them and give a helping hand. Im there from New Player House every night. People from the guild *HLP that recruits most new and returning players use to be here . When its ower we take our weavers to the circle and at Wednesdays after circle many of us rush to the auction house , a very old institution here . Gates from Luna if you dont have a rune. Welcome!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
"Anniversary items that will be turned on in September"

What's that suppose to be anyway? Is that like Christmas trees and such?

DanteSignas

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't understand your point, the fee had not changed that much the last 16 years but as we are few players now, so EA make less money from us = less money to improve the game.
The fee is not that much. I don't expect more than what we get for that little money. If Mesanna and her team, can bring back life to UO, it will be good both for us and good for them.
So you don't feel at all funny about paying the same price for an antiquated service? If that's fine with you then that's cool. I just can't really see the point anymore for myself and I don't see that as wrong. Don't get me wrong, I AM glad the game is still here but it's just not worth it to me.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you don't feel at all funny about paying the same price for an antiquated service? If that's fine with you then that's cool. I just can't really see the point anymore for myself and I don't see that as wrong. Don't get me wrong, I AM glad the game is still here but it's just not worth it to me.
whats blue-book value for a '97 rpg with high miles?

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Shouldn't it go both ways? You don't xpect more content when you still pay the same but shouldn't other players be able to expect the same amount of content updates since they pay the same?

If you are not getting the same quality of service for your subscription fee, why should you expect to pay the same and get less?

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Shouldn't it go both ways? You don't xpect more content when you still pay the same but shouldn't other players be able to expect the same amount of content updates since they pay the same?

If you are not getting the same quality of service for your subscription fee, why should you expect to pay the same and get less?
Product "worth" is a subjective matter. Were that not so, if "quality" could be quantified, a measurable decrease (in this case "content") still would not mean a decline in price by the same percentage. If something is only half as good, you still must pay a minimum price lest the manufacturer stop offering the product. It's not even a minimum amount to keep the staff and game in maintenance mode, but a minimum for EA to decide that it's worthwhile to keep a gaming studio open, that it couldn't put programmers to work on a more profitable game.

As I have pointed out before, after adjusting for inflation, UO's current per-month price is less than when the game first started. Look how much more of a game it is today, not just because of stronger characters, but because of all the greater adventuring and crafting possibilities.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still watching for details on loot. I hope that the low end pieces that had one or two mods at a top tier quality will find homes somewhere. I hope imbuing and crafting still feels very useful.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still watching for details on loot. I hope that the low end pieces that had one or two mods at a top tier quality will find homes somewhere. I hope imbuing and crafting still feels very useful.
I completely agree with you on the comment about low-end pieces with just one or two maxed out properties. I hope we'll still be able to find those, because I sure don't want to have to go hunting in the Abyss for imbuing ingredients with the horrid connection problems I have on every shard these days.

I used to love going to the Abyss, as well as other dungeons, but anymore I just avoid places where there are long distances to run/walk to get somewhere because I'm sick and tired of how it's no longer possible to just hold down the mouse button and see your character move. Now it's click-hold-move 3 steps if you're lucky-stop like you're stuck in cement, click-hold-move 3 steps-stop, click-hold-move 3 steps-stop, and repeat. And this happens on every single shard, even the ones that have the supposedly "best" connection and lower latency than I used to ever see.

There's also the situation where you recall into some dungeons, especially Shame, on some shards and your character and pet are dead by the time you see them again because it takes so long for the screen to finally show them. I'm not sure if that is a connection problem or something more insidious such as people running illegal programs to let their characters farm those dungeons all day long without interference from other players. If so, why is it being allowed to continue?

I truly hope that getting an additional engineer who can help Bleak fine-tune connection issues is a top priority for Mesanna and Rob Denton. And I also hope that they are able to beef up the GM staff, if that is now a Broadsword responsibility, or can convince EA to spend just a little bit more money on it. And if that isn't possible, I hope they will give Bleak and the new engineer the go-ahead to come up with some new ways to make playing intolerable for the scripters, instead of just letting them take over because they think no one cares and they have free rein to just let their greed and selfishness drive off the people who are still struggling to play and enjoy UO without cheating.

If we do end up having a Return to Britannia promotion later this year, I really fear that the connection issues and the really blatant scripting that has become more prevalent are going to keep people who might have returned from sticking around, no matter what else is new in the game.