• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Origin Store Issues

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It might be worth checking your purchase history. Go to the EA Account and Billing at the lower left of the screen, then click on the Order History.

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Become a member for just $4.99/month. So you pay $4.99 a month to save $1.30 on a $12.99 purchase, now that is some savings. NOT
If that's all you're purchasing every month, then no, it's not worth it. But you get that discount on everything UO related. So any account upgrades, Sovereigns, or Game-Time codes are 10% off also. Plus you also get that 10% off of any game you purchase from EA, not to mention the free games you have access to. And they add games to the free access all the time.

For me it's definitely worth the $4.99 per month.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If that's all you're purchasing every month, then no, it's not worth it. But you get that discount on everything UO related. So any account upgrades, Sovereigns, or Game-Time codes are 10% off also. Plus you also get that 10% off of any game you purchase from EA, not to mention the free games you have access to. And they add games to the free access all the time.

For me it's definitely worth the $4.99 per month.
Yeah if you're already spending $50 or more on UO every month I could see doing it too.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah if you're already spending $50 or more on UO every month I could see doing it too.

Become a member, spend 5 mins and buy a bulk of gametime for your accounts, cancel membership. This gets you a pretty fair deal. Discount you get as member+ the build-in discount of buying 3 or 6 month codes makes a pretty notable total.

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Become a member, spend 5 mins and buy a bulk of gametime for your accounts, cancel membership. This gets you a pretty fair deal. Discount you get as member+ the build-in discount of buying 3 or 6 month codes makes a pretty notable total.
You made me chuckle.

So you suggest paying $60 for 6 months, to save $6, after paying for a $5 membership?

So if I did it for the 2 accounts, I'd save $8.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You made me chuckle.

So you suggest paying $60 for 6 months, to save $6, after paying for a $5 membership?

So if I did it for the 2 accounts, I'd save $8.

Well..there you go? If you did it for two accounts, you just saved 8 bux. Not sure at which points the chuckles should come. ;p
Plus isn't it like 45 bucks for 6 months? Maybe there are regional differences in pricing.
In EU, 6 months is 45,90E without membership. 41,30 with the membership.

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Well..there you go? If you did it for two accounts, you just saved 8 bux. Not sure at which points the chuckles should come. ;p
Plus isn't it like 45 bucks for 6 months? Maybe there are regional differences in pricing.
Must be a pricing difference.

It's 60 USD.

If I only use one account it saves me $1 for 6 months or 17 cents a month.

If I used it for 2 accounts it'd save me $1.33 a month.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Some of us folks work hard for our money, right? :) I'm always looking for a deal. When I was single my dinner for the week was whatever was on sale at the grocery store lol

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I am sorry but if you have to pinch your pennies so tight just to play UO then maybe you should find some cheaper entertainment like going for walks or playing with your children/grandchildren.
This doesn't even include if a
person actually left the membership run during the 6 months.

In my case, I'd lose money.

Who pays $30 over 6 months to "save" $8.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I am sorry but if you have to pinch your pennies so tight just to play UO then maybe you should find some cheaper entertainment like going for walks or playing with your children/grandchildren.
I don't know if your talking to me... but I got a super nice house in the burbs (paid off), a beautiful cottage in the woods up north (paid off) and I'm driving a newer 2013 Camaro which I'm buying, not renting off Chevy and giving back lol (which is the car I wanted, not the one I bought cause I couldn't get the one I wanted). I'll probably be driving it for awhile as I only got like 12000 miles on it lol. I got it through working and saving. I bank every dime. When I spend it I buy quality. Cause you never gonna see me begging for someone to pay my way. 2 bucks or whatever don't matter to you? Sending it to me. I'll put it in the bank :)

Last edited:

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Again, Origin Access isn't made for people that only play UO, lol.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
You can pay monthly via subscription with a credit / debit card.
:facepalm:
There are some of us that have a serious trust issues regarding the application of our debit/credit cards into the account system that still makes mention of "Mythic" in places even way after Broadsword took over. There were also incidents where accounts got screwed up AND cards were charged more than authorized.

Very serious trust issues with ecommerce related to Ultima Online. Not so bad with other EA titles managed via Origin, so it is not just the Origin side. I really think there is a serious gap in communication and/or understanding between the Broadsword and Origin teams.

Same as always though...:hula:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:facepalm:
There are some of us that have a serious trust issues regarding the application of our debit/credit cards into the account system that still makes mention of "Mythic" in places even way after Broadsword took over. There were also incidents where accounts got screwed up AND cards were charged more than authorized.

Yes I'm fully aware and use PayPal myself to buy game time codes instead of them having my card details. I was just replying to Lady Kyo's post above where they were asking of other ways to pay for the game if not using game time.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Yes I'm fully aware and use PayPal myself to buy game time codes instead of them having my card details. I was just replying to Lady Kyo's post above where they were asking of other ways to pay for the game if not using game time.
gotcha.

sorry, didn't mean to sound bitchy. :oops:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm so glad there is absolutely 0% need to ever try to follow the twists in logic t that lead one like Frodo to insulting people witch such condescending drivel over a conversation about finding good deals from Origin. lol.
There isn't much guessing in it.

If someone wants to save 17 cents a month for something they'd ordinarily purchase, I say go for it.

Just remember to cancel the membership after the order, or just buy more stuff.

Either way, we've beat this one to death.

Have a good one

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For sake of the conversation, I decided to list few extremes.

Option 1: Set up a subscription that renews each month in UO.com
16.5 Euros/month.
This option gets bonus points for uo.com's exceptionally sleazy and uncommon method of excluding VAT from their prices. They say price is 13.99/month. No it ain't. Price comes with a tiny cute asterix of * inclusive of VAT hidden underneath.You won't see the real price until credit card details are in and it's time to confirm purchase. Legit business usually doesn't attempt such shameless,low BS. BS does though.

Option 2: Buy six month code from Origin without the 5 bux membership. 45.90 Euros
7.65 Euros/Month.

Option 3: Subscribe to Origin and buy six month code for 41.31E.
6.8 Euros/month.
Add in the 5 euro cost of one month membership to Origin. Also can add in the ability to buy all UO stuff at discounted prices. Add in the ability to play around 20 or so front line EA games for free if you like for a month.
Honestly, it is surprising to see this belittled as irrelevant or a bad deal. Include, say, two accounts to your calculations. Include few years of subscribing to your calculations. Even if one simply buys one month Origin membership, then buys 6 month code and drops membership,. we are more or less at the point where it was worth the 5 bux fee. Tell me it doesn't add up pretty nicely over multiple accounts and gametime for multiple years..

How much or little one has in bank account is not a factor in any way when one considers what is or isn't a good deal.If I see somebody selling eight pacific paradise islands for price of one, I am able to consider it a good deal despite not being able to buy my own island at pacific. If I see somebody selling eight one cent lollipops for price of one, I can consider it a good deal despite not finding it awfully important wether or not I spend one or eight cents on lollipops that day.

Still, we all can agree that we speak of reasonably small price tags here. As such, consumer's " feeling" or sentiment for or against something remains very strong in the picture still. Frankly, it pisses the ever living **** out of me when I see a larger company attempting to cheat people by excluding VAT from their price tag. It defeats the entire purpose of price tags, lol. For that reason alone, I def prefer Origin's codes over uo.com's subs. Ultimately it ofc is all gold in EA's chest so it isn't much of a statement, heh. ;p

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
For sake of the conversation, I decided to list few extremes.

Option 1: Set up a subscription that renews each month in UO.com
16.5 Euros/month.
This option gets bonus points for uo.com's exceptionally sleazy and uncommon method of excluding VAT from their prices. They say price is 13.99/month. No it ain't. Price comes with a tiny cute asterix of * inclusive of VAT hidden underneath. Legit business usually doesn't attempt such shameless,low BS. BS does though.

Option 2: Buy 6 month code from Origin without the 5 bux membership. 45.90 Euros
7.65 Euros/Month.

Option 3: Subscribe to Origin and buy six month code for 41.31E.
6.8 Euros/month.
Add in the 5 euro cost of subscription. Also can add in the ability to buy all UO stuff at discounted prices. Add in the ability to play around 20 or so front line EA games for free if you like for a month.
Honestly, it is surprising to see this belittled as irrelevant or a bad deal. Include, say, two accounts to your calculations. Include few years of subscribing to your calculations. Even if one simply buys one month Origin membership, then buys 6 month code and drops membership,. we are more or less at the point where it was worth the 5 bux fee. Tell me it doesn't add up pretty nicely over multiple accounts and multiple years..

How much or little one has in bank account is not a factor in any way when one considers what is or isn't a good deal.

Still, we all can agree that we speak of reasonably small price tags here. As such, consumer's " feeling" or sentiment for or against something remains very strong in the picture still. Frankly, it pisses the ever living **** out of me when I see a larger company attempting to cheat people by excluding VAT from their price tag. It defeats the entire purpose of price tags, lol. For that reason alone, I def prefer Origin's codes over uo.com's subs. Ultimately it ofc is all gold in EA's chest so it isn't much of a statement, heh. ;p
Sorry to burst your bubble, but a lot of places have that ""...whether it's for additional costs, taxes, stipulations.....that's completely normal....it's the same for us here in the US. That little asterisk tells you that there's additional information, usually in REALLY SMALL PRINT! lol the companies that do this all the time are cable/phone companies. Get a bundle phone/internet/cable for ONLY $80/Month * Then you read the fine print *This offer only good for new customers, must pay equipment fees, this offer is only good for 3 months, then you will be charged the regular $120 after that.....sighs

Asterisk.jpg

Ours might not be as much as VAT, but the price is $12.99 a month PLUS tax...only 81 cents but still...we all get hit with it, it's one of the few constants.....Living, breathing, dying and paying taxes lol :/ so they are not CHEATING, as you say, by adding VAT...it's just something that we have to pay.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
OK - so had to do some thread clean up here. There is no reason why insults need to be hurled at each other over discussion of using the Origin store discount. Please keep the discussion on track and avoid further trolling or side swipes at one another.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
OK - so had to do some thread clean up here. There is no reason why insults need to be hurled at each other over discussion of using the Origin store discount. Please keep the discussion on track and avoid further trolling or side swipes at one another.
There's always a reason! ;)

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry to burst your bubble, but a lot of places have that ""...whether it's for additional costs, taxes, stipulations.....that's completely normal....it's the same for us here in the US. That little asterisk tells you that there's additional information, usually in REALLY SMALL PRINT! lol the companies that do this all the time are cable/phone companies. Get a bundle phone/internet/cable for ONLY $80/Month * Then you read the fine print *This offer only good for new customers, must pay equipment fees, this offer is only good for 3 months, then you will be charged the regular $120 after that.....sighs

View attachment 53824

Ours might not be as much as VAT, but the price is $12.99 a month PLUS tax...only 81 cents but still...we all get hit with it, it's one of the few constants.....Living, breathing, dying and paying taxes lol :/ so they are not CHEATING, as you say, by adding VAT...it's just something that we have to pay.
No worries, for no bubbles got burst!;p I'm aware there are plenty of business who actually do this. I consider it low, sleazy and, luckily, fairly uncommon. None of the online stores I've ever used has this as their policy. Over the last 12 years or so, I've been subscribed to half a dozen different MMos. UO is only one to attempt this.

As the screenie you took underlines, we don't even get to see the actual cost of UO monthly sub until credit card details are inserted. Price tag listed doesn't list the real price. Example you mentioned (Get so and so for ONLY so and so a month!" sounds like an advertisement. UO.com's price tag isn't some ad you've spotted on pages of some magazine or in web-banner. Instead, it is a shameless attempt to mislead customer that is already taking steps to buy the product. There are plenty of good excuses, but I'm not sure if " many others are doing it too!" often makes one among them.

Last edited:

outcry

Slightly Crazed
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Did you notice though that if you use PayPal now its more money then it was a week ago? I mean a week ago total with tax I paid 13.80 for a 1 month game time code as of the new website its now 14.23 , again not a huge increase but still one

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No worries, for no bubbles got burst!;p I'm aware there are plenty of business who actually do this. I consider it low, sleazy and, luckily, fairly uncommon. None of the online stores I've ever used has this as their policy. Over the last 12 years or so, I've been subscribed to half a dozen different MMos. UO is only one to attempt this.

As the screenie you took underlines, we don't even get to see the actual cost of UO monthly sub until credit card details are inserted. Price tag listed doesn't list the real price. Example you mentioned (Get so and so for ONLY so and so a month!" sounds like an advertisement. UO.com's price tag isn't some ad you've spotted on pages of some magazine or in web-banner. Instead, it is a shameless attempt to mislead customer that is already taking steps to buy the product. There are plenty of good excuses, but I'm not sure if " many others are doing it too!" often makes one among them.
Since taxes are based on where you live, they can't be included in the base price of whatever you are buying. For instance, I live in a state with no sales tax, so I pay no taxes on my UO sub price.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since everyone probably missed this on uo.com:

Good Morning,

Origin is now selling the game time codes once again. We will keep the housing decay off until Tuesday 9/27/2016 to give everyone time to buy and apply their codes.

Have a great day!

Mesanna

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since taxes are based on where you live, they can't be included in the base price of whatever you are buying. For instance, I live in a state with no sales tax, so I pay no taxes on my UO sub price.
Strangely every other online store I've ever done business with has mastered the arcane art of including VAT or tax to my price tag.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i will double check tomorrow ....friday but hell still no robes on the store??? @Mesanna

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People need to realize that "Soon™" in relation to UO means anytime from the moment they say something until the heat death of the universe.

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix - In-game Store Issue/Bug: Store is currently offering the Treasures of Tokuno pigments, as opposed to the Haochi pigments that are normally available.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix - In-game Store Issue/Bug: Store is currently offering the Treasures of Tokuno pigments, as opposed to the Haochi pigments that are normally available.
Or maybe they are switching them up for awhile? I like the idea of items coming and going at the store.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
dont think its bug... the store is for generating real cash flow to fund this game.... why wouldnt they sell tokuna dyes??

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I visited the store for the first time tonight because of todays email and reading of some items that were mentioned on the robe thread and i'm pretty bummed out now.

I cannot believe that all of the mini house deeds are for sale in the in-game store! So one day they're worth many millions of gold each and then they're on the store and they're now worth nothing. :mad2:

Well soo much for collecting them and doing 100's of shard trades when they came out. I don't get it, pretty frustrating! What rare will they ruin next?