• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Old Friends, New Enemies

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Game
2014 Sep 19 19:27 GMT
Author EM Drosselmeyer

The King frowned from his seat, staring at the chess table as Sir Dupre spoke to him. He idly moved a single piece back and forth. The table was clearly set mid match, and he always moved the piece between the same two spots...a legal move, but with no opponent to make the next one.

“It would seem that the Council of Mages has dissolved...after Anon’s vanishing, those few who remained quickly fell to infighting. A few of them have sought entrance into the True Britannians, but I am unsure if they are disciplined enough to fight alongside my troops in a way that will...”

“Sir Dupre, what do you make of the rumors that Anon has defected?”

Sir Dupre shook his head. “The man may have been mad, but he fought for Britannia all this time. I make it the ravings of a madman.” Dupre's words were strong...but his voice lacked conviction.

“Perhaps we have lost one of the strongest mages remaining in this land to a well-orchestrated attack...or maybe our greatest enemy has converted him to her cause. I am not sure which I would rather believe; Minax being powerful enough to have outright destroyed him, or Anon being bitter enough to have gone over to the other side.”

Sir Dupre stood in silence for a long moment, fingering the pommel of the black longsword at his waist, searching for the words to reassure his regent or even himself. They were nowhere to be found.

“I have been called many things by those who I am doing my best to serve rightfully as their King, Sir Dupre. I have been called a tyrant...usurper...traitor...and many state openly that they believe me to be evil. And yet...” He sighed at length, standing from the table and moving out to the balcony, leaving it behind him. He did not finish the thought, and Sir Dupre was too prudent to pry further.

Dim moonlight peeked through the clouds upon the beleaguered king as he stared out over the moat, and Dupre's voice broke the silence once more. “My liege, even I doubted you at first...but in time they will see. And even if they do not, Honor is its own reward. We have done our best to do what is right, and we know that even if no others do.”

“Dupre...we will need to have a call to arms. I know that your soldiers are strong, well trained, and a capable unit...but if Minax is powerful enough to defeat Anon herself, or worse if he has joined her...I do not believe even you and they can fight them and win. We will have to...find another way.”

Dupre nodded and bowed his head slightly. “Then I shall inform them at once.” Dupre left through the doors of the castle and King Blackthorn stood in the light for a long moment, the full moon revealing itself as the clouds passed by. The gentle moonlight illuminated him fully, his cloak rustling ever so slightly in the soft breeze. The light gleamed off of his crown and armor, and the obsidian chest that lay just inside the balcony's opening. He was not quite sure how long he had been there before he heard footsteps, ignoring Heckles' approach.

It was the soft clack of a chess piece being moved on a board that drew him from his thoughts with a bit of irritation. “Heckles, I am not in the mood for your taunts and jests...and you know that I want nobody to touch that board, not until...”

Softly and with a chuckle a rich voice echoed inside as Blackthorn's words faltered, staring at the seeming apparition before him. “Before a friend could return to take their move on the board that was still waiting for your own when you appeared?”

Blackthorn stood motionless for a long time, staring at the broad smile along the other man's face, before they both stepped towards each other and embraced tightly, pulling apart a moment later with identically broad grins. “I suppose it was only fair that when I returned after you had thought me lost that I should be under the impression you would never return to these lands...Cantabrigian.”

Lord British's grin burst into a chuckle. “You should know it best yourself...in Sosaria, an infinite number of things are possible.”

Read the exciting conclusion and join us for a live, in-game event on TC1 September 25th 2014 at 7pm ET! Meet Richard “Lord British” Garriot and Starr “King Blackthorn” Long at Castle Blackthorn to celebrate Ultima Online’s 17th Anniversary!

Continue reading...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
We NEVER Killed Lord British! He left us! Took his shards and off he went... thru the void.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do we get to kill Lord British once again?
We NEVER Killed Lord British! He left us! Took his shards and off he went... thru the void.
This is probably a reference to when Rainz killed LB with a fire field at the end of the Beta test in '97. Or...he confused mecha Blackthorn's death in Yew with LB's sketchy departure.

I'm a little surprised that Broadsword would invite Garriot back after his tacky appearance on a free shard a few months ago...

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
This is probably a reference to when Rainz killed LB with a fire field at the end of the Beta test in '97...
This is my reference. I joined UO just after that fateful day, when LB forgot to turn his invulnerability back on when in public.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was worried I'd be the only one not to greet this with wild enthusiasm.

It's news, both in-character and out-of-character, if nothing else.

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that these 2 new fictions, one today and one yesterday, are the new global storyline that K hinted was coming at one of the in-game meet and greets.

At least I should hope so.

-Galen's player

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is my reference. I joined UO just after that fateful day, when LB forgot to turn his invulnerability back on when in public.
I watched it live. Stunned silence gave way to peels of laughter. No glass sword, falling plaque, or Armageddon Spell...just a lowly fire field. Priceless.

I wonder if they'll use LB's unique avatar and paper doll, which I'm doubting the EC has... (The EMs never seem to use the unique art for Dupre)

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that these 2 new fictions, one today and one yesterday, are the new global storyline that K hinted was coming at one of the in-game meet and greets.

At least I should hope so.

-Galen's player
That would be nice, though whatever happens on TC1 would need to have repercussion events on the "real" shards. My guess is that these stories were written because of factions going away in favor of VvV and they needed to clean the fictional house. Anon and Minax, both the heads of their respective factions, now need something else to do, hence the moustache twirling.

We really need to kill Minax off. (I imagine her not as the woman depicted on the anniversary poster, but as a late 80's Tammy Faye Baker look-alike. Just replace the fanatical love of Jesus with Mondain. Blame Mark's story.)

That being said, I really want a GOOD global story/event arc that isn't all about fighting OP mobs for trinkets. EM events are good, but we need something eventy going on near 24/7, especially for RTB.

Last edited:

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That would be nice, though whatever happens on TC1 would need to have repercussion events on the "real" shards. My guess is that these stories were written because of factions going away in favor of VvV and they needed to clean the fictional house. Anon and Minax, both the heads of their respective factions, now need something else to do, hence the moustache twirling.

We really need to kill Minax off. (I imagine her not at the woman depicted on the anniversary poster, but as a late 80's Tammy Faye Baker look-alike. Just replace the fanatical love of Jesus with Mondain. Blame Mark's story.)

That being said, I really want a GOOD global story/event arc that isn't all about fighting OP mobs for trinkets. EM events are good, but we need something eventy going on near 24/7, especially for RTB.
The entire invading orcs and savages arc was just so great. I feel sorry for folks that didn't get to experience that. New items but nothing op, new monster AI on semi normal mobs. Just stellar.

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is probably a reference to when Rainz killed LB with a fire field at the end of the Beta test in '97. Or...he confused mecha Blackthorn's death in Yew with LB's sketchy departure.

I'm a little surprised that Broadsword would invite Garriot back after his tacky appearance on a free shard a few months ago...
I was thinking about that too. He made an appearance on a free shard a few months ago, which at first I thought was fake but he posted about it on his twitter. *Shrugs* I guess all can be forgiven.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

When LB came to visit Sonoma's YMCA many years ago, we were on the roof when one of my friends cast a poison field. He was not attackable but turned out to be "mortal" in other ways. The poison led to the liege's death...and my friend's ban for a week or something. :eek:

Jerec KTM

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Got to be honest, I think Broadsword just got gamed.

I imagine RG sitting in his castle laughing "game.set.match."

Why after so many years does this happen now? Why not when he had no game in development?

Even if he doesn't mention Shroud of the Avatar in game, it's going to get people looking into him, googling him, and then they are going to find out that he has a new game coming out.

I mean, I am happy that we are finally getting some Lord British lore and some idea of WTF is going on with Lord British, however, I can't think this is anything but a trojan horse.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm still trying to decide if I should be excited about it or disgusted. I will have to wait and see. I still remember watching him leave. I am not really impressed with the guy. I mean he hasn't been around in so long that the "kingdom" has moved on... so have many of the players. Infact I am certain that there are more players who have never seen Lord British in game than those who have.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow! Who said they dont care for the game? *claps hands* That is fantastic!

Unfortunately, I will be in hospital - having a surgery the day before. I think I will not be able to attend it. Can you greet LB from me and take some pictures?

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whilst Richard and Starr are indeed justifiably proud of their new Shroud, one thing that has also changed here is that UO is now run by Broadsword not EA, and considering their, let us say, tempestuous prior relationship it's possible that it was only when EA no longer pulls the strings that Richard would actually be welcomed back without the threats from the grey soul-less men in suits. I hope to be there then to show that most of the players still remember him fondly.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Whilst Richard and Starr are indeed justifiably proud of their new Shroud, one thing that has also changed here is that UO is now run by Broadsword not EA, and considering their, let us say, tempestuous prior relationship it's possible that it was only when EA no longer pulls the strings that Richard would actually be welcomed back without the threats from the grey soul-less men in suits. I hope to be there then to show that most of the players still remember him fondly.
Well if I hire you to cut my grass, it's still my grass. I'm still gonna be keeping an eye on my grass, lol. Just because Broadsword develops the game now, I don't think too much has really changed on the EA front. Broadsword wouldn't do anything they thought would upset EA.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Omg : D This is..this is pretty moving, actually. Return of the King! I'll SO be there!!!

And of course it has everything to do with promoting SotA. I don't care!
I'm sure Broadsword being further away from EA counts in his books as well, though. I can't imagine this happening a year ago.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I write this with a smile and a wishfull hope that all here remember it was not by his choice our beloved King left Sosaria.. the Evil Empire EA was the root of that plot to kill off the king.
Our true and rightfull king is Lord British.
Not that Lord Blackthorn has not picked up the gauntlet and made strides to keep us busy.
All story lines aside... we all know EA made the power grab and we all suffered for it.
Years of abuse by wana be dev teams who at times ran in circles making a mess of our world.
It will b a treet to see Our King return.. not that he will stay...
We all know he has a very successfull adaption of a future ultima going on and well ....
I for one wish him great joy with his family and work.
I am very happy Broadsword will allow us this visit with all of our founding "fathers" so to speak.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I liked Queen Dawn... but that is the Yewbie in me.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
All hail the evil and fair KING BLACKTHORN!
We need not just and good Lord British. :mad:

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oi! Chaos, for the umpteenth time, is not evil. Chaos is chaos, it can be good, evil, or neutral.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I see our Liege, King Blackthorn as evil and fair, though. :p
I have pledged alliance to his evilness. :D

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is chaotic evil, and there is chaotic good.. Chaos simply is! Chaos theory is not evil, it just does things that we might consider evil or good depending on our viewpoint.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I can't say I'm excited. The king deserted us. I did hold on to a vague fantasy of a "Once and Future King" for quite a long time. Today... well, that particular fantasy is long gone.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I can't say I'm excited. The king deserted us. I did hold on to a vague fantasy of a "Once and Future King" for quite a long time. Today... well, that particular fantasy is long gone.
Will you feel better if he offers you a free sandwich?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't know if I'd feel better if maybe he'd not sold us out to EA and left us... Now he's doing a new project but my desire to play that died when he got the idea I'd pay big bucks to live in town... Meh.... not really interested... I'll see if this don't go belly up like the last project he had.

Sophi

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Life is not static, it is change.
To be static (unchanging) is stagnation and ultimately - death.
To live and grow and prosper a person - or a game - must move, evolve - change.

UO is not the same game that RG left (willing or unwilling), and RG is not the same person who left.
His newest creation will be a reflection of the changes he has made in his life, as well as the changes in the gaming industry, in technology and in society.
While I will not bother to speculate as to why RG left UO, I am sure that he loved his creation then, just as he loves his creation now.
- and the way i'm absolutely sure about that - is how much I love both of them also.