• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] New Ultima Store Item: Violet Soulstone

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Want to add a bit of variety to your soulstone collection? This new soulstone comes in a beautiful violet hue that is sure to impress! The soulstone allows you to trade out and store skills from your character. The stored skill may be retrieved by another character on the account. The stone may only hold one skill at a time and all standard skill level maximums are enforced when retrieving skills from the stone. Get your Violet Soulstone from the Ultima Store today!

Continue reading...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While the store desperately needs new items, I don't honestly believe rehues of already existing items is the correct path to choose. If the item had different functionality, as described above, it would be a different story.

There have been lots of ideas over the years, why only go after the low-hanging fruit?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
what ever happened to that shield for the virtues that was suppose to be for sale last month?

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Wow... taking a terribly ugly but highly useful item from the store, re-hueing it, and then passing it off as a “new ultima store item.”

I recall on many occasions people complaining how large and cumbersome these can be when locked down. Why would they not at least redesign these or at least give them another, smaller form?

I think this perfectly demonstrates the weird decision making behind this game.

or stats, would be nice to store stats.
when ya swap from a warrior template to a mage template for example and need to move your dex 100 + points.
Nice idea. The purple stone should have been a stats stone.

As for why they threw out an available item in a different hue..likely because they don't have the resources to work on the pub 100 bugs/features and churn out new items. Although I hope soon they will. The store should be getting (truly) new items every month at a minimum.

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
what ever happened to that shield for the virtues that was suppose to be for sale last month?
Hopefully it was to fix the sloppy way in which the entire shield looked like it had been dipped in paint when dyed. The shield itself looked great, when hued...notsomuch.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm not sure why this is getting criticized... it's not like they're making people buy it, they just added it as an option if anyone wants it. Since all that's different is the color it probably only took them a few minutes to make it. Adding something totally new or with a different function would have taken them longer, and with EJ and bug fixes going on they most likely don't have enough time to add brand new things to the store.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Think this was brilliant. It's violet and a nice shade of it at that.... I will now have to go replace all my soul stones.....

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm not sure why this is getting criticized... it's not like they're making people buy it, they just added it as an option if anyone wants it. Since all that's different is the color it probably only took them a few minutes to make it. Adding something totally new or with a different function would have taken them longer, and with EJ and bug fixes going on they most likely don't have enough time to add brand new things to the store.
I’m critical because it seems as though very little effort was put into this. I live in a tiny home and would have loved this in a different - even pre-existing - form. A different hue of something that has poor design? Commonnnnn. Why even send out notices on crap like this.

As I said, it's very likely been done because they don't have the resources for new items and the publish work. Yet I would also add that I wouldn't keep doing this if I were BS. It's not sustainable. And I wouldn't reward BS for such moves by buying it either. So I hope they find a way to release unique and worthy items periodically.

Last edited:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
It's... neat, I guess. Some people decorate with soulstones, but I find them large and unwieldy and don't care one bit about what color they are since they are all going to be buried in a container.

I don't entirely buy that they don't have the resources for new items... new ART sure, but they could have reskinned this like literally every EM item that is churned out en masse every month and made something if not new then at least different enough to be more interesting. A phylactery bottle or flask functioning as a soulstone for example.

I don't hate it, and it's nice that all the people clamoring for purple soulstones over the years now have them as I was really getting tired of those threads. It just seems... odd.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are two artists now.

There is a lot of unreleased art lurking in the files.

Lame excuses are lame.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
There are two artists now.

There is a lot of unreleased art lurking in the files.
Fair points. I am unfamiliar with this unreleased art, but I know I've seen some odd bits among EM items and town banners.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Clearly at least a few people bought it, so bottom line wise they probably got reasonable bang for a very low effort buck.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Let me just suggest an option for skill storage. I personally would like it in the form of a classic UO book - perhaps a uniquely hued book. Its small, doesn’t take up a ton of space, and kind of makes sense in its form. I dont expect the devs to just do what players say and make a soulstone in book form, but if you are going to make a UO announcement, I would expect a little more than a recolored item.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think a soulstone dye tub would have been a much better idea, although personally I don't find them attractive at all and I keep mine in a chest. It's a functional item, I've never thought of it as deco and it's so damn big!

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.... but I find them large and unwieldy ....
Their size is a PITA. Cumbersome to say the least.

I can't stand digging through bags looking for skills. You can stack them if using a goza mat on the floor above, place it on the goza, then lower it through the floor. Then you can only stack 2 otherwise they can't be reached. My main home on Atlantic is L-shaped & having to use an entire room for them is annoying as hell.

The alternative of not having/using them isn't an option.

StarstrukK

Adventurer
So many people whine about such trivial things. Some people like myself asked for a 3rd color soulstone other then red to keep better better organization of our skills. It literally took the dev team all of 5 minutes to accomplish this and they make some money in the process.

If they added a soulstone to the store that had some swap skill feature or anything other then what is currently available people would whine about that anyways because they previously bought soulstones.
If it doesn't interest you don't buy it it's really quite simple.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So many people whine about such trivial things. Some people like myself asked for a 3rd color soulstone other then red to keep better better organization of our skills. It literally took the dev team all of 5 minutes to accomplish this and they make some money in the process.

If they added a soulstone to the store that had some swap skill feature or anything other then what is currently available people would whine about that anyways because they previously bought soulstones.
If it doesn't interest you don't buy it it's really quite simple.
Very well said and I completely agree, it's a small addition that will make people happy and generate income at the same time :postcount:

Whiners.png

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If I'm wrong someone point me to the public conversation where someone or anyone requested or suggested this.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I like it! I think it's a great idea to be able to group skills by color....mage skills all red, warrior skills all blue...bard skills all purple etc....makes finding skills a LOT easier...and I'm not one of those I have a million soulstones person....I have like...5 full stones and a ton of fragments....BUT if I DID have a lot I would totally get some in every color to organize better, and a dye tub wouldn't make as much money as a stone...buy one tub and you're done spending....but if you have to buy individual stones, more income for them..makes sense!

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like it! I think it's a great idea to be able to group skills by color....mage skills all red, warrior skills all blue...bard skills all purple etc....makes finding skills a LOT easier...and I'm not one of those I have a million soulstones person....I have like...5 full stones and a ton of fragments....BUT if I DID have a lot I would totally get some in every color to organize better, and a dye tub wouldn't make as much money as a stone...buy one tub and you're done spending....but if you have to buy individual stones, more income for them..makes sense!
You like everything the Devs do :p

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Because if it's made privately it proves my point.
Tbf, it's well known that Bonnie doesn't read anything outside her bubble ;) She is not even active on their own forums. I mean god beware efficient communication could mean she had to actually work instead of typing emails and slack messages with horrible spelling and grammar all day.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mini soul stones 3/4 the size, dye tub friendly and I would replace the 14 soul stones I have now.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't even want to hazard a guess as to how many soulstones I have. Some of my accounts have SEVERAL others just one or two... and as for fragments dozens... I still have several tokens for fragments and probably 1 or 2 full stone tokens laying around somewhere.

I agree that they are awesome no matter what the color... and to be honest IMO they could FILL the store with all sorts of alternative colors of things... what would that hurt??? I love wonderous variety... Heck, I color code my characters even. So why not...

It doesn't "waste" dev time as it takes probably less than three seconds to make a new colored item. Works the same and everything so code is already there for it all it needs is a new ID... whoopie...

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I requested by email. Not sure why a request needs to be public to mean something. But since you asked did a quick search and found a request for you.

A suggestion for the UO Store.
If they listened to this they still got it wrong. :) I couldnt care less about something so trivial. However, I think most peoples complaints is that they could of done something better. Like the example in the link you provided.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I don't think anyone is thoroughly panning it or "whining" about it. It's just underwhelming for a full "new item" announcement, and not really a "new" item, just a re-hue. Which is fine. It's just underwhelming.

I like the dye tub idea. Give it charges even. Make a new charge cost ten million gold (or more) so you have a small gold sink--you could buy new charges in game on an existing tub, or you could just buy a new tub for cash in the store. Either option does the game good, offers more versatility for players, and doesn't result in a store eventually full of a bajillion soulstone hues to wade through if you want to just browse.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
why?? Who needs a purple soul stone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think it's kewl. Might even buy one or two. As far as the whole mesanna/favoritism thing, A good boss doesn't come up with all the good ideas or suggestions. They are just smart enough to listen and act upon good ones when they hear it. Obviously it's a good idea since people are already buying it.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@TB Cookie [W] I agree with you about one of those things! Sampires are an unnatural travesty of biblical proportions that should not exist, in fact it should be impossible, the very idea of them makes me utterly bewildered! :eek:
If it wasn't for the EC I wouldn't be able to play at all, tendonitis and UO are not a good combo...:(
I will not say anything about Trammel! :eyes:

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@TB Cookie [W] I agree with you about one of those things! Sampires are an unnatural travesty of biblical proportions that should not exist, in fact it should be impossible, the very idea of them makes me utterly bewildered! :eek:
If it wasn't for the EC I wouldn't be able to play at all, tendonitis and UO are not a good combo...:(
I will not say anything about Trammel! :eyes:
We agree on something, and I think I would have used exactly the same words myself re Sampires. :scholar:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I request they change the Phoenix back......sometimes i send upwards of 12 emails a day, you know just incase they miss one ;)
I'm pretty certain my email name was put on "auo-trash" a long time ago.

Although i am finding it funny how this is just a skin change (but with a RL cost attatched to it) and people are bad mouthing it.......yet the Phoenix was just the same (skin change) but i'm told to just shut up and accept the crap they serve up.
Seems many people need to start re-reading what they post ;)