• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] New Store and Lag fix

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings Everyone, We have increased the number of available stable slots to 42, we are offering the Stable Slot Increase Token through the In Game store which will be available to you today. This is an account bound item which allows you to add 3 additional stable slots to your character. You may apply up to 7 tokens to any one character. Starting this afternoon with Japan after your shards maintenance your lag issue in the Kotl City will be resolved. Thank you, UO Team

Continue reading...

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anyone see th cost yet I'm not at a computer ATM just curious as to how many each tolken gives and cost

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does everyone get 42 stable slots? Or is that after you buy the tokens?
Only a 120 tamer with a L3 mastery can get to 42 slots.

A regular, non-tamer character should be capped at a max of 27 slots (6 standard + 21 purchased).

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No what's ridiculous is paying $5 for 3 slots... when a tamer seriously ought to get 125 or more just because they are a tamer... and have worked the skills up... limits of 42 after spending $35 is INSANE ..... and a real **** Move on the part of the DEVs... IMO.

Y'all watch out, Merlin will be down here tellin ya how great this price will be for the game. And that it should be more so we can hire more devs and stuff

:rolleyes:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Y'all watch out, Merlin will be down here tellin ya how great this price will be for the game. And that it should be more so we can hire more devs and stuff

My original suggestion was $1 per slot. This current price of 500 sovs per 3 slots is over that, which is why I hope a bulk option with a cheaper price per slot is considered for the future

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Like that would happen... I'm willing to spend money on UO... for cripes sakes I probably spend more than most on the forums with 13 active all the time NEVER in maintenance mode accounts... I've never cycled my accounts EVER...

I buy up expansions and everything for all my accounts... especially ones that come with storage space... but 3 for $5 is an insult... Like putting salt on an open wound insult... What the heck do they think we are? At any rate its just one more straw on an old nags back...

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well I bit the bullet maxed 1 tamers slots and I only have 3 slots available lol still need to buy for my other 2 tamers
So it's going to cost me around $100 to do it WAY TO MUCH !

Also I feel it should have been 10 slots per tolken maxed at 175 like bank boxes (still a bit lost as to why we even have a cap on slots) and 300 sovs at the most.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
That's $35 per character.

The Time of Legends and Stygian Abyss expansions, by contrast, are $19.99 each and cover an entire account.

An extra character slot for all shards on an account is $19.99.

Maxed tamers, who are the most likely to want to participate in this new content, and the most likely to have full stables, now have the privilege of being able to pay nearly twice the cost of the most recent expansion to experiment with the maximum (and seemingly arbitrary) possible number of pets if they want to really try a variety of the new content. Per character.

This is inconsistent with previous content access and wildly out of line with other store content both in substance and price. It would have been preferable to just call it a content pack and charge everyone $19.99 to access both the new tameables AND max slots. I'd have paid that, per account, on at least two accounts, gladly. But this? This is nickel and dime targeting a specific skill class after hyping a revamp for something like three years. No thanks.

I'm not buying more slots, and once I'm through with the sovereigns I already had, I doubt I'll be buying more of those for myself either. This is a straight F2P mechanic in a game I'm already paying multiple subs on. They want to put flashy rainbow unicorns in the store? Excellent. They want to put extended access to new content for one specific playstyle behind an overpriced, one-character-only store token? No.

I get that UO needs to make money, but there is no coherent strategy at work here between items that are rewards/gifts, items that are acquired through normal gameplay, and items for sale in the store. Furthermore, I don't have any faith that the money paid for store items actually even goes toward helping or supporting UO--purchases are made through EA's Origin store, not directly from Broadsword, and we the average players just don't know what the arrangement there is, and aren't likely to. If it's just a matter of money, there are a million non-play-affecting things they could do and sell. I'm disappointed in this move and concerned about the direction for the game that it implies. What's next?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'm more then happy to give money to keep the game I love so much alive. I think the $5 is more then reasonable and will gladly pay. Yes I am being a cheerleader, but in real life? If I don't like something or am not happy with a product or service that I have received..I STOP SPENDING MONEY ON IT...all these people moaning and groaning yet still payin for it.....must me a masochist thing...I hate what you do, here lemme give you money each month...this patch sucks..here let me give you money this month....omg why can't you fix the armor thingamagig from publish 86?? (~Winks~) HERE LET ME GIVE YOU MORE MONEY THIS MONTH....good lord people seriously...

Okay I'm done ranting.....and off to tame more pets to fill my new slots! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Finally got myself a baby blue White Wyrm....need one more mare to get the 4 new ones we know about....waitin on my adorable blood fox to bond..omg the noise they make is just A DOR A BLE!!!!!!

~Signed...a very happy tamer

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
but in real life? If I don't like something or am not happy with a product or service that I have received..I STOP SPENDING MONEY ON IT...all these people moaning and groaning yet still payin for it.....must me a masochist thing...I hate what you do, here lemme give you money each month...this patch sucks..here let me give you money this month....omg why can't you fix the armor thingamagig from publish 86?? (~Winks~) HERE LET ME GIVE YOU MORE MONEY THIS MONTH....good lord people seriously...
Players who are upset with the direction the game is going keep paying for the same reason parents keep giving their kids money in real life, even when they know their kid is a drug addict and will spend it on drugs anyway.

They hope it is just a phase and the game/child will eventually grow out of it, but only if they keep supporting it through the bad times.

Unfortunately, the same result is happening. Eventually people realize the game/child is not going to improve and nothing they do is going to improve the situation. They then give up, and walk away. Sometimes forever.

You know I have no issues with you personally of course, but it is an incredibly terrible thought process to tell people to "just stop paying" if they don't like something in the game. Do we really need to be encouraging the few UO players that are left to just stop paying and walk away from the game entirely because of one single thing they don't like about the game? That is probably the literal worst thing that could possibly happen to UO. If everyone who was mad about something in UO really did stop paying, I'd say a good 50% or more of the players would be gone and the game would die immediately.

People criticize things like this because they care and want it to be better. If people didn't care they would have already silently quit the game a long time ago instead of complaining about things on a forum. As the saying goes, the opposite of love is not hate, it is apathy.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Hey that's just me...Gothic Theme pack? I don't like it..so I didn't get it....I am more happy with the game then I am upset....do I HAVE to get 7 tokens to get the full 42 stable slots?? NO...I don't..and I won't...cus it's expensive! BUT I am happy to have 3 more...and maybe 6 if I wanna spend the other 500 sovereign I have....but I don't HAVE to...

Even with the 3 new mares, 2 new WW's a bloodfox and a few other things I have stable space to spare..for now!

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They should consider also offering a one-shot max storage upgrade for a discounted price (+21 slots for $20 bucks).
Why would they do that? They would get less of your money. Sure that's how all other F2P oops err... "Subscription+" games work giving you a discount on bulk purchases, but they have shown with sovereigns they aren't going to do that. They don't want to miss out on your cash. :D

Hopefully we get our sub cost boosted up to 20 bucks a month or something too... to keep the game healthy! :D

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep the cost of these 'stable slots' is a crock. I am going away for a month and after that I will decide if I keep my accounts open. This game is obviously going into the 'milking' phase to get as much money off the player base as it can before it goes belly up. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if at the 20th anniversary party they give the player base the death knoll timeframe on the game.

My full opinon on this issue is in this thread 'stable slots' so I won't bother repeating it here. Suffice it to say SHAME on the devs for this huge slug to the players.

I would have paid the $42 aud to upgrade each account I have open (currently 3) if each char on the account got the upgrade, but I am not sure I wanna spend that kinda money on ONE flipping character, that is basically highway robbery and to think otherwise is just lame.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Using a bunch of math, we see an advanced tamer can have a maximum of 21 stable slots before buying any tokens
Stable - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia
Is there any way in game simply to see how many slots a particular character has available without all these arcane calculations (using EC)?
Say "stablecount" to a stable master npc. It will tell you how many pets you have out of how many slots you currently can use. So something like:16/21.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I too would say it is a little to expensive, they should make it:
1 stable slot = 150 sovs
3 stable slot = 400 sovs
6 stable slot = 750 sovs

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I would agree that the cost is a bit too high. $5 to add 3 slots per account, sure, but per character is a bit too restrictive for the price.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was wondering why they add a new store again, but then I guess it's just another sloppy post title on UO.com *shrugs*

Also, the price does not seem out of place at all when I compare it to those other FTP games I know. The only problem here is, that there is no way to grind that stuff out in-game (time vs. money). For those it's only money counts. But as reactive as the current producer is acting, I doubt there is a sound concept for an UO FTP model.

belkins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So if a 120 tamer with l3 mastery active you get 42 slots? What happens if you change mastery to something else like magery do u still get to keep the 42 slots and pets that are stabled or will you loose the pets and slots available?

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So if a 120 tamer with l3 mastery active you get 42 slots? What happens if you change mastery to something else like magery do u still get to keep the 42 slots and pets that are stabled or will you loose the pets and slots available?
I think you also have to buy the stable tokens @ 7 x $5 = $35. 120 taming, lore and vet plus lvl 3 mastery without buying tokens will max out at 21 slots.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Also, the price does not seem out of place at all when I compare it to those other FTP games I know. The only problem here is, that there is no way to grind that stuff out in-game (time vs. money). For those it's only money counts. But as reactive as the current producer is acting, I doubt there is a sound concept for an UO FTP model.
Therein lies the problem. UO isn't F2P.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You still get the slots BUT you best put that L3 mastery back on before you go trying put anything back in..... as you won't have the slots. You may take something out but that's it.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I wonder what the "lag fix" was.

If anything my lag is WORSE. Every couple minutes I'll freeze for 1-3 seconds, sometimes much longer (especially on recalling - I can freeze at my destination like one of the bugs from over a decade ago, for as much as a minute).