• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Looking for New Castle Designs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Is there a specific floor plan size they want like 30x30 or 32x32. Would be kind of nice to know lol

I agree and how many stories can you make it? Can I make a 4 story castle??? Or do I stay restricted to 2 and a roof????

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Erm?? I don't remember saying anything about the ingame price, but I play on Europa and Tram Castles sell for upwards of 300 million....not 10 ;)
Well Europa is one of the remaining shards that still has a viable population. On par with Legends.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Castles are ugly big. And how exactly other than using fiddler or starting a custom shard would you make a custom castle? I played with it a bit and at 32x32 it's just odd to mess around with. The sprites don't work due to way they are centered unless u make it uneven or a perfect square.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What is so hard to understand? A Castle is 31x31, you are free to use that footprint or any other footprint you would like but if you use something other than a STANDARD CASTLE footprint then do not be surprised if your submissions is trashed. The DEVs are looking for some CASTLE DESIGNS other than the one we have not some new house that is on something other than a CASTLE FOOTPRINT. QUIT reading **** into everything.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
And the actual tile space is 30x30....including the walls it would be 31x31 but that extra 1x1 is unusable space.

Here's another idea so that you can sort of have a basement and a bit of a lawn outside.

REALLY wish we had a utility to build on the actual sized plot!!

Basement2.jpg
Basement.jpg

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is so hard to understand? A Castle is 31x31, you are free to use that footprint or any other footprint you would like but if you use something other than a STANDARD CASTLE footprint then do not be surprised if your submissions is trashed. The DEVs are looking for some CASTLE DESIGNS other than the one we have not some new house that is on something other than a CASTLE FOOTPRINT. QUIT reading **** into everything.
Why are you such a snarky *******? It's not reading into anything, it's a pretty basic question. What size or sizes are they looking for. How many stories. Don't forget everything that's "created" has to be scripted into current housing or into a deed form. So saying people are reading into thing too much is just a plain attempt at being a sad little troll. That's like her saying yes we need new items we are starting with new weapons! And not giving any information on format, size of image or era. If you have nothing of note to contribute to the conversation..shut up, move along and get a ****ing life!

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well, it took some time, but I found Kurgan's contest thread - sadly it doesn't have all the entries, I think some were hosted on another site, but it does have the design by Blade Rayne, which is outstanding

(also look in that thread for post from Mesanna, seems we've been here before)

and now a question..... did I miss it or is there no "must be received by" date?

sorry, forgot the link!!! A Challenge for all you home makers.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
That's not a reason to allow fully customizable castle plots. Building it from parts takes a long time and a lot of effort. People who are going to put that much effort in don't typically make Borg cubes.
Exactly my point. :)

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
What part about no empty plots did you not get Brian?
Lady Storm, you said 'no empty plots'. You'll notice:

"I know we have all talked about this before but I think putting in new castle designs for our 20th year would be something great to do. So we the team would like to have any designs from you guys. Looking for 3 stand outs to use. If you have any ideas or just like to design houses send them to me at [email protected]."

...Mesanna did not.

Erm?? I don't remember saying anything about the ingame price, but I play on Europa and Tram Castles sell for upwards of 300 million....not 10 ;)
Chessie you're easily looking at a billion+. Legends and Oceania, on the other hand, I've dropped castles I owned, rather than sell them, as I couldn't find anyone looking to buy one. :p

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I don't much care for the empty plot idea myself. (Sorry Brian!) There aren't as many of them around as there used to be, but empty plots were always an eyesore in game.

Now if you wanted an empty interior with just outside walls, that would be great. The outside wouldn't look like a big square mud puddle and the inside would be 100% customizable with the craftable stuff. This would also keep people from accidentally stepping on the front step of an empty plot only to be immobilized by the lag hole created by a castle's worth of craftable stone. :p

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
She also said she wanted castle designs..not empty plots...you really need to get off that kick Bri ;)

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
And contrary to Lady Storm's claims, they've actually said in the past that it's under consideration.

"Ultima Online Bibliothek: When will there be house plots greater than 18 x 18 for customization? Eg. Keeps could be converted, because they can’t be decorated on three sides and therefore much deco space is wasted. Many people have their Castles and Keeps because of the long time they are playing UO,and so they need the storage space… But there are areas, such as the ice island or Minoc, where Keeps and Castles are lined up and it looks like you are in the ghetto there… and somehow this pabulum is rather boring.
Honestly – If we could customize a house plot, wich is as big as a keep’s plot, there would of course be some of our architects there to create something really beautyful … We have such beautiful items for decoration now – why should they even gather dust in the boxes? (Mene’Tekel)

We have talked about this but its again not a task that can be done quickly. I won’t say no it will never happen but I just don’t have you a definite answer right now."

From 2012-11-29: Ask & Answer No. 12

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Blank is not a design Brian.. that's a plot.
I will tell you what Brian.. If Larissa or one of the other poster's here will do the honors at the next Meet and Greet ask that very question.
This way you cant call it that I am fabricating it..
I highly doubt it but ask the question.. if she would make a plain plot the castle size with NO house customization available.. meaning plain as a choice
lets see her answer....
We all know you wish to "build" your own. While I do like the stone work it does have a few big drawbacks as a whole.

Idea I would like to ask as well... how about different stone shades.. sandstone, etc...

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Castles are ugly big. And how exactly other than using fiddler or starting a custom shard would you make a custom castle? I played with it a bit and at 32x32 it's just odd to mess around with. The sprites don't work due to way they are centered unless u make it uneven or a perfect square.

Let me reiterate this more clearly....

MAX size plot to use is 31 x31.
You are not... I repeat NOT required to use a plot that size to build your new castle design.
Yes keeps can be replotted too.. as this would fall under a smaller foot print for a castle...

You can make any size up to that 31 x 31 now is that more clear?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Let me reiterate this more clearly....

MAX size plot to use is 31 x31.
You are not... I repeat NOT required to use a plot that size to build your new castle design.
Yes keeps can be replotted too.. as this would fall under a smaller foot print for a castle...

You can make any size up to that 31 x 31 now is that more clear?
And what makes you an expert??? Where is this made clear to anyone but you??? We want to know what @Mesanna says... not you... I want in her words what I can and can not do with a submission... is it to be 31x31/32x32... does it matter? Must it keep the same footprint inside??? Can I go higher than the current 2 levels and a roof??? Is it anything goes???

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I'm assuming that they want designs that keep the same footprint of a castle including the number of floors? But to be honest the official information is a bit vague... It would be nice to get more accurate criteria if only to save people from wasting time submitting designs that would be unacceptable. Also will they accept new Keep designs?
The other thread that DevilsOwn linked to has some great ideas, both Blade Rayne and DevilsOwn had fantastic designs, I haven't had time to look at the whole thread but some great work there.
My husband wanted to have a go at a new design but as he doesn't have a castle, only a Keep, how would he go about making a design?! Any help is appreciated! :)

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And what makes you an expert??? Where is this made clear to anyone but you??? We want to know what @Mesanna says... not you... I want in her words what I can and can not do with a submission... is it to be 31x31/32x32... does it matter? Must it keep the same footprint inside??? Can I go higher than the current 2 levels and a roof??? Is it anything goes???
I'm assuming that they want designs that keep the same footprint of a castle including the number of floors? But to be honest the official information is a bit vague... It would be nice to get more accurate criteria if only to save people from wasting time submitting designs that would be unacceptable. Also will they accept new Keep designs?
The other thread that DevilsOwn linked to has some great ideas, both Blade Rayne and DevilsOwn had fantastic designs, I haven't had time to look at the whole thread but some great work there.
My husband wanted to have a go at a new design but as he doesn't have a castle, only a Keep, how would he go about making a design?! Any help is appreciated! :)
They likely already have the designs they want, hence the lack of details . . .

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I like to add my thoughts.

1. The Implementation of those Stones was a good idea on the drawing Board. No circle trans, Highlight yellow, accidential unlocking with decay, making Huge lag in bigger numbers, Missing pieces to Connect with existing structure (1.5 tiles wide pieces) made it sadly very ****ty :(

2. The idea to have 31*31 for fully custom (like 18*18) make my heart Speed Up as I finally would be able to build a more realistic Castle or a small village.

I heard Arguments like Not possible from technic Point but all can be Coded if you really want.
Also "she" say no BC of Borg cubes. That a Bad Argument because I can make 3-4 Story cubes right now also. So what.

3. If number 2 is Not possible I suggest to give 10k storage to 18*18 then Castle will sort themself :)

4. Brians aporoach. As much as I like a dirt Plot 31*31 which I can custom with the new Stones when 2. Is Not gonna Happen I would say the issues listed in 1. Will make it a Option but Not one which I would invest time.

5. Specify different footprints for Castle / keeps will bring in some fresh looks but I think its also Not a good idea to invest time in as it is Limited again

6. Other: yes I would Open placing to All facets Up to Castle. Furthermore I would allow a 7*7 tent with 1k storage to be used as Second Home in the Server of choice Foto any Account.

7. 20yr stuff. Make something exclusive like a shiny Phoenix pet which dont Count as pet and will always follows you and can ressourect you once a day. Not Transferable. And maybe a cool title. Then our vets should be Happy.

Also something which can be used like usual vet rewards. Like a gypsy Wagon :)

In the end ID rather would See more Bugs fixed tho.

There are Tons of ideas that can be sold in game Store to make more Cash which could be used to hIre another programmer.

And finally fix this Client ****. One Client for all.
Strip the Buggy EC its Features and make a good uo Client CC wise. Add a few new effects and there WE Go. (yes I changed my mind a Bit here)

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I like to add my thoughts.

1. The Implementation of those Stones was a good idea on the drawing Board. No circle trans, Highlight yellow, accidential unlocking with decay, making Huge lag in bigger numbers, Missing pieces to Connect with existing structure (1.5 tiles wide pieces) made it sadly very ****ty :(

2. The idea to have 31*31 for fully custom (like 18*18) make my heart Speed Up as I finally would be able to build a more realistic Castle or a small village.

I heard Arguments like Not possible from technic Point but all can be Coded if you really want.
Also "she" say no BC of Borg cubes. That a Bad Argument because I can make 3-4 Story cubes right now also. So what.

3. If number 2 is Not possible I suggest to give 10k storage to 18*18 then Castle will sort themself :)

4. Brians aporoach. As much as I like a dirt Plot 31*31 which I can custom with the new Stones when 2. Is Not gonna Happen I would say the issues listed in 1. Will make it a Option but Not one which I would invest time.

5. Specify different footprints for Castle / keeps will bring in some fresh looks but I think its also Not a good idea to invest time in as it is Limited again

6. Other: yes I would Open placing to All facets Up to Castle. Furthermore I would allow a 7*7 tent with 1k storage to be used as Second Home in the Server of choice Foto any Account.

7. 20yr stuff. Make something exclusive like a shiny Phoenix pet which dont Count as pet and will always follows you and can ressourect you once a day. Not Transferable. And maybe a cool title. Then our vets should be Happy.

Also something which can be used like usual vet rewards. Like a gypsy Wagon :)

In the end ID rather would See more Bugs fixed tho.

There are Tons of ideas that can be sold in game Store to make more Cash which could be used to hIre another programmer.

And finally fix this Client ****. One Client for all.
Strip the Buggy EC its Features and make a good uo Client CC wise. Add a few new effects and there WE Go. (yes I changed my mind a Bit here)
I would hate to see a big 31x31 brown plot ...... would be disgusting to have those all over already hate seeing big 18x18 brown dirt patches... I agree I'd like more storage and yes if I could get the storage of a castle in and 18x18 I would only keep the one castle and I'd lose the other I have and I wouldn't want it changed... I also think though that the keep is more in need of a redesign than the castle... the keep is just bad...

As for trashing the EC... I think I'd quit. I don't want to EVER go back to the CC... the CC not only runs like crap on my computer and is slow laggy and the movements are like old dial up doing the 2 step... compared to the EC. But without all the features I've come to love in the EC with Pinco's..... I just wouldn't want to play UO anymore...

Like the vanity pet idea... always thought that with the cute little ferrets and squirrels.... I'd like a spider or Fairy Dragon... though one of those nifty new phoenixes from Eodon would be fun...

Personally I'd really like a "vanity" slot on the paperdoll to put things like the costumes and such so I could be a pixie or whatever all the time and actually use a weapon...

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
My suggestion for Keeps and Castles:

- Create 1 or 2 additional different versions of both keeps and castles
- Give the owner the option to choose which version of their castle is used

Code wise it would be like creating a couple of new classic designs, hopefully not too difficult. If that's what's in mind, I'm all in. If customizable is in the plans, which I don't think it is, then lag will kick us all out. Some 18x18's can't handle full custom stone parts already.

P.S. I don't know why people are talking about CC vs EC in this thread but I'm pro CC, have been since release. This game is about so much more than graphics.

Last edited:

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
P.S. I don't know why people are talking about CC vs EC in this thread but I'm pro CC, have been since release. This game is about so much more than graphics.
I am also a CC fan, but there is no denying that the EC has much more going for it under the hood compared to the CC. I would gamble that those of us who are diehard CC supporters are strictly due to graphical style preference.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd like more storage and yes if I could get the storage of a castle in and 18x18 I would only keep the one castle and I'd lose the other I
For sure! I'm sure I am not the only one who hates the layout of keeps and castles, and if I could get the castle storage on a 18x18 I be out of the castle business in a minute! lol

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Mesanna @Bleak @Kyronix

A few thoughts from reading this and other threads:

1. Having multiple home plans in a given size is always better than having just one.
2. Even with 4 or 5 designs for a castle, there will still be plenty of folks that want to make their own design... I mean how many house plans were there when we finally got custom plots?
3. The fact that someone may choose to use their house/plot in a way that you think is ugly is NOT a justification to keep it out of game.
4. Trying to build a 4 story castle from the ground up with the new stone pavers/block would be an extremely tedious task, especially since the trans circle doesn't work. If the bare plot was accompanied by a few other fully built designs. I think only the most dedicated would go that route.
5. In my mind it seems like it would be difficult, but I think it needs to be rolled out with the option to "covert" and existing castle rather than needing to drop the existing castle and replace it. If nothing else, some of these castles are part of the historic society and would not want to loose their placement date. Even if it moves all the deco, etc into the moving crate, that option would be well received.

Lastly, it would be really great if we had an actual design tool in order to build our submissions. I love doing houses in game, but I don't have the photoshop skills, etc. in order to create a design.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I agree with what other people here have said, if I could have Keep-sized storage in an 18X18 I would happily take the 18x18 and stay in the spot I love. The interior of the Keep is particularly bad and hard for decorating.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The "What is for everyone" would be stuff that everyone has access to if they wanted too.
99% of UO players don't have access to Castles on the shards they play and never will, so this is not something that should be an Anniversary special.
Hell if they want to do it then just do it but don't play it up as part of the Anniversary special, taking huge amounts of time and resources to get it right and work.
This time should be spent getting stuff that works "for everyone" if it is to be hyped up as Anniversary special stuff.
doesnt everyone have the same access to anything in the game? if they want a castle, anyone could buy one. or place one on many shards. theres no limitation.

this 1% that people often refer to are nothing more than players who actually use what is available to them. not the only people who have access to it.

the single thing that all players do not have access too is shard shields. and even those, its much much higher than 1% of the population who have them.

Sellingahouse

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My uo game is all about my houses and how to make gold to buy deco items for my houses, 18 years. I dropped 3 18x18s in a row to get one castle and a keep when the pavers came out. I used to spend 3 to 4 months building my houses then I would take them down and start all over again. I would really love a plot so I could build the castle (little village) I want, using pavers would be find with me. If we cant get a plot please make a castle size grass plot with only a small house in the north west corner. I will build around that. or please someone make one that doesn't have any walls on the south and east sides. They will never be able to make everyone happy. Maybe some folks like dirt plots and borg cubes. If folks are crying about storage give it to them then give me a castle or 100x100 plot to build. The people that say they would be happy with a 7x7 castle storage plot don't care much about building neat houses but there are many of us that do.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A lot of Castles are owned by people that don't play anymore but keep their subs running incase they ever want to come back.
As for buying a castle, as I said in another post it's now 1 platinum upward on Europa (price increased the same day they released the post about new castles) so no, it's not available to everyone.
Just because you can place one on a dead shard doesn't mean you can class it as available to all. We all know there are only 2 or 3 shards in this game anymore, the rest are for scripting.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A lot of Castles are owned by people that don't play anymore but keep their subs running incase they ever want to come back.
As for buying a castle, as I said in another post it's now 1 platinum upward on Europa (price increased the same day they released the post about new castles) so no, it's not available to everyone.
Just because you can place one on a dead shard doesn't mean you can class it as available to all. We all know there are only 2 or 3 shards in this game anymore, the rest are for scripting.
to be fair, i dont think 1 platinum, or atlantic 10 platinum can exactaly be called "not available to everyone". that amount of gold can be made by anyone who puts in a bit of time and effort. yes it may not come overnight but a couple weeks or months of making owning a castle your goal is totally reasonable. Yes, you may have to come up with a plan on how you want to go about making that gold, be it deco for hire, EM events, armor / artie farming, global loot, buy re-sell etc but thats how people get stuff done in games.

there are many things that people do in games just to achieve an end result. yes it may not be the most fun or primary play-style, but its available to anyone.

take other games i just want items to PVP with. to get those items, i have to do a bunch of stuff i really dont want to do. but i do it and is worth it once i have what i want.

You could also always open another account just to have a placed / or low-cost castle on one of the low-pop shards while keeping your home base on the main shard. I dont currently own a castle, but thats the option id probably do depending on how these designs turn out and if i decide i really want one.

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i get your point, that owning a castle isnt something everyone in the game might want to take on, but its there if someone really wants too. and nice to see for the many players (like myself) who never wanted a castle just because of the inhibiting floor-plan.

im sure there will be other things for the 20th, but the updating the castle is very nice.

kaiya_uo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i was using paint and run uo, moved over to using a 3d design program .......playing around and waiting to see if we actually get any information about size, and other stuff

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if I could get the castle storage on a 18x18 I be out of the castle business in a minute! lol
So would be the people who stupidly paid billions for them lol. I guess that's also the answer why we will never see it under Mesanna ;)

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So would be the people who stupidly paid billions for them lol. I guess that's also the answer why we will never see it under Mesanna ;)
Why is it stupid? A castle has been a goal of mine since I started playing this game as a child. Hell since i saw a preview article in PCGamer.
Its not nearly as dreamy as it was when I was a kid, and looked at people who had them as damn near in game gods, but now that I have one it satisfies an in game goal ive had for quite some time. There is nothing stupid about it, just because it doesnt scratch your itch.

Sellingahouse

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I paid 300m for my 1st castle and "stupidly" paid 2.5b for my 2nd. My 2nd castle is the 2nd best thing I have every bought in uo, the deco tool is the 1st. You can make my castles worth 1 gold and I wouldn't care. It is the size of the floor we get to make that matters.

This thread is about looking for new designs. lets post what we want to see. this is one GIFT that might not be for everyone, but its one gift I cant wait for and im sure there are others that are just as happy as me. I do have trees growing in my court yard and I will not be mad if I don't get to change mine .

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I paid 300m for my 1st castle and "stupidly" paid 2.5b for my 2nd. My 2nd castle is the 2nd best thing I have every bought in uo, the deco tool is the 1st. You can make my castles worth 1 gold and I wouldn't care. It is the size of the floor we get to make that matters.

This thread is about looking for new designs. lets post what we want to see. this is one GIFT that might not be for everyone, but its one gift I cant wait for and im sure there are others that are just as happy as me. I do have trees growing in my court yard and I will not be mad if I don't get to change mine .
I watch publish after publish go by that has nothing to do with me. Tamers/pets etc Now it's our turn ;) I'm pretty sure they'll have other things going on for the 20th besides this :)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why is it stupid? A castle has been a goal of mine since I started playing this game as a child. Hell since i saw a preview article in PCGamer.
Its not nearly as dreamy as it was when I was a kid, and looked at people who had them as damn near in game gods, but now that I have one it satisfies an in game goal ive had for quite some time. There is nothing stupid about it, just because it doesnt scratch your itch.
It didn't mean its stupid to aim for a castle. I just personally find it pretty stupid to pay what nets a couple of hundred real dollars for a house in UO these days .. while you can place one for free on other "servers"/shards of the same game.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
It didn't mean its stupid to aim for a castle. I just personally find it pretty stupid to pay what nets a couple of hundred real dollars for a house in UO these days .. while you can place one for free on other "servers"/shards of the same game.
I moved from Great Lakes to Legends and a great deal of that decision was there was an open Trammel castle spot. I found out later what a great community it has. That was a nice perk :)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
:lie::lie::lie::lie::lie::lie::lie::lie::lie::lie::lie::lie::lie::lie::lie::lie::lie::lie::lie::lie::lie::lie::lie:

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone else trying to do their design in Minecraft?
Close. I'm doing mine on a little shard I made to do this, I'd suggest doing it that way. It's easier. After tinkering with it for awhile I've seen why it's so hard to build normal looking even plots. The sprites are all screwy and need a simple movement from one side of the tile to the other. I could fix it in like literally 2 minutes. But I think it would DQ my submission lol.

On another note it's semi fun creating a new castle even though I know it'll never be used. Wasn't this a contest or asked to be done like 8 years ago as well?

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is what is known.....
Mesanna has asked for new castle designs to be submitted.
Castle footprint is: 31x 31
This is not a gift for the anniversary but being considered to be added to the house placement tool as we reach the 20th year of UO.
(Read the opening of the game where its stated)

This means you can make any size keep/castle design up to the 31 x 31 footprint. (7x7 to 31x31)
(Reason I say keep/castle is that you are not stuck making a 31x31 it can be any square footage at or under that size. So if you want a 22x22 and make a nice building send it in. It will be considered).

It is assumed... The levels are limited to the max placed on adding the stonework to any existing castle/keep. I believe that is 5 levels total.

Use what ever works for you to design it, graph paper (take a snapshot and do like you do for pictures and add it to your e mail as an attachment), any program that will allow you to upload a copy to an e mail.

Go design..

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
The Idea is nice, I wish was that "simple" but we all know that Nothing is Simple when you talk about change something on UO!

I'd love the idea to enter the castle customization mode and change the actual ugly and old design into a custom 31x31 Plot and go from there on my own!

BUT. This is not possible or will work for the majority of the castles already placed in the game!, Because a lot of them have Tree's in the front courtyard or back, so unless they are planning this new design for Fresh placed Castles or Replot on your own risk.

I also like the idea of Increase the storage on Smaller houses.
as You can see in this pic, this is why you cant just convert and design!!

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Idea is nice, I wish was that "simple" but we all know that Nothing is Simple when you talk about change something on UO!

I'd love the idea to enter the castle customization mode and change the actual ugly and old design into a custom 31x31 Plot and go from there on my own!

BUT. This is not possible or will work for the majority of the castles already placed in the game!, Because a lot of them have Tree's in the front courtyard or back, so unless they are planning this new design for Fresh placed Castles or Replot on your own risk.

I also like the idea of Increase the storage on Smaller houses.
as You can see in this pic, this is why you cant just convert and design!!
Except the "plot" could keep the same foundation footprint as the current castle. The floor of the castle is a few tiles above the ground so players could always fill in the courtyard with stone pavers if they wanted a solid 31x31 floor. Those with trees would have to work around them.

Of course we would need a "convert to plot" option on the house sign so the original castle wouldn't need to be dropped, but I support that option for all the designs.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Atlantic, Europa, Catskills, Chesapeake, Great Lakes, Lake Superior, Asuka, Izumo, Yamato; other may also deserve to be on that list, but those shards all still quite alive, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.