• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Looking for New Castle Designs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conleth

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Awards
A bit of an orcish feel?
castle1.jpg

The above type design would go far to preventing blockage of housing to the W and N, as the additional height is largely on the SE section.

castle2.jpg

The above is just kinda cool, I think.

And, finally, we can't forget a matching castle for the Lasher lovers!
castle3.jpg
A joke, it's only a joke! ;)

Cheers!

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
A bit of an orcish feel?
View attachment 62739

The above type design would go far to preventing blockage of housing to the W and N, as the additional height is largely on the SE section.

View attachment 62740

The above is just kinda cool, I think.

And, finally, we can't forget a matching castle for the Lasher lovers!
View attachment 62741
A joke, it's only a joke! ;)

Cheers!
The top wouldnt be so bad, but id rather see something like this:

upload_2017-2-25_15-14-11.png

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I won't be a "Debbie downer" on this since it could benefit a lot of folks. Go for it even though I'm sure I'll be left out. But I have a large tree in my courtyard so I assume I'm screwed. Could one option be to replace the old design with a new design that is the exact same but customizable? If it's not customizable I really don't see much point to do it. If one has a fully decorated castle you can imagine what a pain the would be to try and pack all that up to just be forced into another same old static design. Everyone seems to have completely different tastes. 2 minutes of walking around clearly shows that. You'd be hard pressed to find 2 houses that are even similar. It's amazing really. Lumping everyone into a couple of designs really isn't going to be a great solution. Castles should mean something. Just simply give those folks with castles a customizable plot instead of sticking us with something once again that is some other persons idea of a great design. Let us choose like any other plot. It's been completely unfair since customization came out and it's long over due to level the field.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I guess one option I would like would be just the outside current wall we have now. I'll build the inside myself outta stone. That should keep me off the boards for a few months ;) This would allow all those with messed up landscape to do something with it. That at least would give all castle owners an opportunity.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, more like this please!
*digs out an ancient design* (not mine, from DevilsOwn):
Castle Basements......

Thumbs up generally for new castle designs, always wanted to have this!
:heart:
thanks so much for the nod, MedeaDF :) I've sent the design in for consideration. There were soooo many wonderful designs in that contest, with one very similar to the idea Malagaste has posted which I really loved.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Well this was my email to Mesanna, be sure and send yours!.... "Hail! You appear to be looking at several possible designs. Hopefully offering several designs. There is a major issue here I'm sure you are considering. That are many of us that have placed "around" landscape that normally couldn't be built on. Such as in my courtyard I have a large tree along with some other smaller items in the back. Many people might not even be aware they have blocking items in their current courtyard. Many areas of a castle courtyard are very difficult to examine fully. My suggestion would be that one option just be an outside wall like we have now or similar. I'll build my own building outta stone inside and work around the existing landscape. Not the greatest solution but it is a viable one. This would allow us to incorporate the landscape we have now and work with it. You know and I know there will be people that empty out fully packed castles, remove their home, then be faced with the real possibility of not being able to place there whatever designs you come up with. There will be horror stories. At least this way we get to keep our 24x24 foot print and do something with it. If the outside wall goes there now it should work with this 100%. Thanks for your valuable time!"

Judy Hare

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Greetings all, I know we have all talked about this before but I think putting in new castle designs for our 20th year would be something great to do. So we the team would like to have any designs from you guys. Looking for 3 stand outs to use. If you have any ideas or just like to design houses send them to me at [email protected]. Thanks in advance!

Continue reading...
I would like to get rid of courtyard seem a waste of space

Cocaine1

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just today i got this CRAPPPPP in EnhClient ( i didnt chanched anything in my setings)
My HP Stamina Mana bar ar goo off!! WHY!!!!
1.png
WHY it was chanched?
HOW THIS STUFF CAN BE REMOVED TO OLD 3 strip bar!?!?!?!?
I GOT NO any usable infi about MY HP MANA STAMINA!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I guess one option I would like would be just the outside current wall we have now. I'll build the inside myself outta stone. That should keep me off the boards for a few months ;) This would allow all those with messed up landscape to do something with it. That at least would give all castle owners an opportunity.
I'm thinking you guys are just liking this post cause it says I'll be off the boards for a few months :p

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I won't be a "Debbie downer" on this since it could benefit a lot of folks. Go for it even though I'm sure I'll be left out. But I have a large tree in my courtyard so I assume I'm screwed. Could one option be to replace the old design with a new design that is the exact same but customizable? If it's not customizable I really don't see much point to do it. If one has a fully decorated castle you can imagine what a pain the would be to try and pack all that up to just be forced into another same old static design. Everyone seems to have completely different tastes. 2 minutes of walking around clearly shows that. You'd be hard pressed to find 2 houses that are even similar. It's amazing really. Lumping everyone into a couple of designs really isn't going to be a great solution. Castles should mean something. Just simply give those folks with castles a customizable plot instead of sticking us with something once again that is some other persons idea of a great design. Let us choose like any other plot. It's been completely unfair since customization came out and it's long over due to level the field.
This is actually a good point that has probably been forgotten by quite a few "castle owners".
A lot of them were placed years back using the old "place items on floor to level ground and place" trick.
If they went to "re-new" their castle plot's, they would probably find they could not be placed using todays placement rules. ;)

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Cocaine1 looks like you're using Pincos, so go to settings, Health bars and change it from Advanced back to Classic. For some reason that's his default and every time I make a new character I have to change it.

kaiya_uo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay so we really need a way to do this using in game stuff...I am trying to do it on TC with an 18x18 but it's just all wonky....maybe someone can build on this idea in another program...I have it in my head and on graph paper but cannot get it to work in game lol.

Here is sorta what I'm goin for on a small scale....and then what it could look like as a castle-size structure...sorta....:/

Trying to go for larger rooms, more courtyard...less wasted space..more ways to get UP to the upper floors....this is just the bottom floor atm....

View attachment 62722

And how it might look bigger (Don't hate my paint skillz!)

View attachment 62723
I have used pieces from run uo, paint and transparency effect copy past build brick by brick, tile by tile, have not attempted to jump into the 3d program, or draw sketches, yet as not sure what they actually want

Attachments

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Cocaine1 looks like you're using Pincos, so go to settings, Health bars and change it from Advanced back to Classic. For some reason that's his default and every time I make a new character I have to change it.
Someone needs to sticky this

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With 98% of the content of UO being dead this is exactly what is NOT needed. Putting in the custom stone blocks was a horrible idea, this will be even worse. How about making the game more fun to play then doing crap like this!! I say get rid of castles and keeps and open the land to more housing to get more players interested. What a joke of a idea, I hope if they do go through with this is causes lots of crashes and the trammies cry.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With 98% of the content of UO being dead this is exactly what is NOT needed. Putting in the custom stone blocks was a horrible idea, this will be even worse. How about making the game more fun to play then doing crap like this!! I say get rid of castles and keeps and open the land to more housing to get more players interested. What a joke of a idea, I hope if they do go through with this is causes lots of crashes and the trammies cry.
I kind of agree... I'd prefer an entire publish be dedicated to stomping on big, old bugs (not the low-hanging fruit they usually go after) rather than 1%er fluff that isn't going to do jack for the average UO player.

I'm also waiting for them to welch on their near-promise to reintroduce some of the old global events that pretty much everyone loved for the Anniversary year. Things like ToT, Candle of Love, an invasion with the old artis we still want (Conjuror's stuff, invasion spellbooks, etc.), Bane/Ophidian War, Halloween 2009 (the essence quest), etc. Most of these don't even need new rewards...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I kind of agree... I'd prefer an entire publish be dedicated to stomping on big, old bugs (not the low-hanging fruit they usually go after) rather than 1%er fluff that isn't going to do jack for the average UO player.

I'm also waiting for them to welch on their near-promise to reintroduce some of the old global events that pretty much everyone loved for the Anniversary year. Things like ToT, Candle of Love, an invasion with the old artis we still want (Conjuror's stuff, invasion spellbooks, etc.), Bane/Ophidian War, Halloween 2009 (the essence quest), etc. Most of these don't even need new rewards...
While I somewhat agree... I also really want updated castles... though more overly keeps because they are totally unfriendly in their present state.

But then if they restart some of those then the "rares" whiners will cry, piss and moan about how it's cutting into their profits because they have 400 of the arties stored up so they can keep the prices of them at ridiculous for the next 20 years...

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK ..............................Hault the other content...
We finally got a clear go ahead to do some major additions to the game that WE WANT.
So end the F2P and other UO complaints talking, this is for designers to work out ideas.

I do like the idea of upping the 18x18s and other house's to ether a castle or keeps lockdowns as many don't want our monster homes but need the space.
This is fine to my way of thinking. Small home owners are not forgotten in my thinking.

I believe you can have up to 4 or is it 5 story's one with the new stone work so its fair to assume this is the top limit for a castle/keep. 5 being the roof... ?
31 x 31 or less sq footage wise Max. So I do not see why you cant redesign a keep plot as well....

No Borg Cubes. No Plain Plots. (Mesanna has been heard to say she would like smaller plots but this is not in her request so have fun).

Ladys and Gentilmen you have a chance to make something we been asking for a very long time.....

Do well and who knows the grand lady of UO just might go for a few of the new designs and add them to our house placement tool...the storage upgrade.. we might get a good word in for it....
It is UO's 20th...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But then if they restart some of those then the "rares" whiners will cry, piss and moan about how it's cutting into their profits because they have 400 of the arties stored up so they can keep the prices of them at ridiculous for the next 20 years...
Tough :moo: poop.png . Giving in to a few greedy hoarders just to continue padding their imaginary bank accounts...or their real bank accounts through RMT...is exactly what Mesanna/the devs should NEVER EVER DO. The majority of players must always come FIRST.

If she continues to coddle the people she has been, then she should no longer be producer. End of story. :bdh:

We finally got a clear go ahead to do some major additions to the game that WE WANT.

Ladys and Gentilmen you have a chance to make something we been asking for a very long time.....
1%-er ****ery aside, this will benefit a minority of players. An extreme minority.

The additions to masonry can at least be used by everyone, this cannot. So lets can the bull and not look at this as mana from heaven. They're just finally getting around to something they should have circa 2004.

The vast majority of players would probably much rather the devs do things for everyone, rather than a tiny few.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is for everyone? I know plenty of things that isnt fo me, but im happy if the players that like RP, PvP, taming, solo-ing monsters , get theirs. Im grateful I get house and deco stuff, crafting , group hunting , t-hunting events(prefer global) ...Everything making some group happy is good for UOs survival so good for all of us. And its not just 1% that have a castle. I have no figures but there are sooo many castles out there . For storage or ego or they like the decorating. Castle and hopefully keep change would be great combined with same storage and if possible a basement.. for people that prefer smaller places
Whatever the devs wants to give us there are always players that set their own interests first and do what they can to spoil for others. Cant we look at it as whats good for keeping any subscriptions is good for us all? If we just had what everyone agrees to..it would be a very small and dull game, like so many orhers out there.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is for everyone? I know plenty of things that isnt fo me, but im happy if the players that like RP, PvP, taming, solo-ing monsters , get theirs. Im grateful I get house and deco stuff, crafting , group hunting , t-hunting events(prefer global) ...Everything making some group happy is good for UOs survival so good for all of us. And its not just 1% that have a castle. I have no figures but there are sooo many castles out there . For storage or ego or they like the decorating. Castle and hopefully keep change would be great combined with same storage and if possible a basement.. for people that prefer smaller places
Whatever the devs wants to give us there are always players that set their own interests first and do what they can to spoil for others. Cant we look at it as whats good for keeping any subscriptions is good for us all? If we just had what everyone agrees to..it would be a very small and dull game, like so many orhers out there.
The "What is for everyone" would be stuff that everyone has access to if they wanted too.
99% of UO players don't have access to Castles on the shards they play and never will, so this is not something that should be an Anniversary special.
Hell if they want to do it then just do it but don't play it up as part of the Anniversary special, taking huge amounts of time and resources to get it right and work.
This time should be spent getting stuff that works "for everyone" if it is to be hyped up as Anniversary special stuff.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I'll repeat my proposal from a month ago for a bare castle-sized plot which cannot be customized with the AOS house building tool, that we can build on from scratch. :)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After sleeping on this idea, and thinking about how well some of the other new things ahve worked out, perhaps we should encourage them not to do anything to houses? Or at least wait till after the 2 year overdue "new management site" is finished...and working properly.

Makes me nervous thinking about it.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If they do give new and Or customizable castle to the very few people that own them are they going to still allow the new wall crafted pieces to be added and used on all homes I wounder.

OTP can those pieces be used on the front foundation 4 story's high ?

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I DO NOT want to see fully 'customizable' lots. We will just end up with a bunch of 31x31 sized Borg cubes if that's the case.
I'll repeat that this not only is buildable now, but doesn't make sense as a fear. People build borg cubes in the editor because it's easy. Building a house from parts without the editor takes effect. Building a castle sized borg cube from parts, without the house editor, would not only take days worth of hours, with only lag as a result.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LMAO
All the shards but Atl are dead, merge them all to one shard.
This will only benefit %01 of the UO player base. You do understand that %01 of 300,000 accounts is 3,000 accounts and I am %99.999999999 sure that there are more than 3,000 Castles in all of UO. @THP how many Castles per shard are there?

So which is it WHINERS is UO dead that we need a shard merge or is there enough players that only %01 of the player base own Castles, you can not have it both ways.

AND WHO THE HELL SAID THIS IS THE ONLY THING THEY ARE GOING TO DO, MY GOD YOU PEOPLE ARE STUPID.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'll repeat that this not only is buildable now, but doesn't make sense as a fear. People build borg cubes in the editor because it's easy. Building a house from parts without the editor takes effect. Building a castle sized borg cube from parts, without the house editor, would not only take days worth of hours, with only lag as a result.
That's not a reason to allow fully customizable castle plots. Building it from parts takes a long time and a lot of effort. People who are going to put that much effort in don't typically make Borg cubes.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After sleeping on this idea, and thinking about how well some of the other new things ahve worked out, perhaps we should encourage them not to do anything to houses? Or at least wait till after the 2 year overdue "new management site" is finished...and working properly.

Makes me nervous thinking about it.
Indeed, they still have not even acknowledged the Non-spawning invisible rubber banding doors.....which has now spread to NPC's too.
I wouldn't let them nowhere near your Castles. lol
:facepalm:

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Okay so we really need a way to do this using in game stuff...I am trying to do it on TC with an 18x18 but it's just all wonky....maybe someone can build on this idea in another program...I have it in my head and on graph paper but cannot get it to work in game lol.

Here is sorta what I'm goin for on a small scale....and then what it could look like as a castle-size structure...sorta....:/

Trying to go for larger rooms, more courtyard...less wasted space..more ways to get UP to the upper floors....this is just the bottom floor atm....

View attachment 62722

And how it might look bigger (Don't hate my paint skillz!)

View attachment 62723
Not to hate but if I owned a castle, I would want more openness, the smaller rooms in your castle doesn't make it seem so grand.

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) The continued argument that they shouldn't allow customization of castle plots because of the possibility of borg cube designs forgets that some people do beautiful work with customization. It's like saying, let's not allow anyone to have access to paints and brushes because they might make something ugly - people have made some pretty ugly designs with an 18x18 plot. So while we're at it, lets do away with dyes, cause the outfits and colours some people choose is truly an affront to the eye.

2) By all means increase the storage limit of other house sizes. That being said, doesn't matter how much space people have they will just fill it up and start collecting more junk and need even more space. But let's test this argument and let people with smaller homes have even more storage space than castle and keeps and we'll see what happens to the landscape.

3) Arguing that this shouldn't be added because it only appeals to a small part of the population is a dangerous argument for a game like UO given that we're a group of minorities who all play for very different reasons. Ignore one group and the subscriptions could fall off enough to affect everyone else playing the game. If you look at almost every proposal and bit of content that was added you can be sure it ignores at least one group who could care less about it. Keep on this line of thinking and there will be nothing for anyone and we truly will be in maintenance mode.

4) Different castle designs would actually break up the monotony on some parts of the land where all you see are identical castles and keeps side by side. Many castle placers aren't going to go through the hell of creating craftable walls and pavers to make something beautiful.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Not to hate but if I owned a castle, I would want more openness, the smaller rooms in your castle doesn't make it seem so grand.
Well ok let's take a look at the bottom floor of the design Devils did that everyone loves so much..it's very similar to the idea I had but mine is more open...you said you wanted more openness and that is what I was trying to go for.

iddea.jpg

Instead of all those tiny closed-off rooms, there would be more of an open courtyard, less walls and more stairs. The two front rooms could be bigger but it still gives more openness and more opportunity for deco. Like I said..if there was an easy way to build this with some sort of UO Home Builder like there used to be it would be much easier.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Tough :moo: View attachment 62797 . Giving in to a few greedy hoarders just to continue padding their imaginary bank accounts...or their real bank accounts through RMT...is exactly what Mesanna/the devs should NEVER EVER DO. The majority of players must always come FIRST.

If she continues to coddle the people she has been, then she should no longer be producer. End of story. :bdh:

1%-er ****ery aside, this will benefit a minority of players. An extreme minority.

The additions to masonry can at least be used by everyone, this cannot. So lets can the bull and not look at this as mana from heaven. They're just finally getting around to something they should have circa 2004.

The vast majority of players would probably much rather the devs do things for everyone, rather than a tiny few.

Always easy to nerf someone else way of earning gold. Almost as easy as creating new items. They can crank out new items weekly for events that go to 20 people. They could do the same for the masses. Let's not keep lowering the bar of expectations.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The "What is for everyone" would be stuff that everyone has access to if they wanted too.
99% of UO players don't have access to Castles on the shards they play and never will, so this is not something that should be an Anniversary special.
Hell if they want to do it then just do it but don't play it up as part of the Anniversary special, taking huge amounts of time and resources to get it right and work.
This time should be spent getting stuff that works "for everyone" if it is to be hyped up as Anniversary special stuff.
Only Atlantic and possible Great Lakes. Any other shard they're maybe 10 mill tops. Not every shard is Atlantic.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'll repeat my proposal from a month ago for a bare castle-sized plot which cannot be customized with the AOS house building tool, that we can build on from scratch. :)
I have no problem for that as an option. We would still have the problem that 25% (wild guess) of the current castle owner couldn't place it. I'd love to see several options available to use.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me reiterate this more clearly....

MAX size plot to use is 31 x31.
You are not... I repeat NOT required to use a plot that size to build your new castle design.
Yes keeps can be replotted too.. as this would fall under a smaller foot print for a castle...

What part about no empty plots did you not get Brian?

As for this being a 20th anniversary idea gift.... our 20th year is one big gift to us... All she said was this will have a chance to be added to celebrate our 20th anniversary.
A lot of things I have heard through the grape vine have a possibility so don't write off or on anything till its confirmed.

Personally I have castles and keeps and smaller homes across the shards.. castles are all over so are keeps... but as I said this is to give any and all of you a chance to build a castle to your requirements and submit it... no one said it has to be huge.. if you build a small compact castle and its cute and usefull by all means submit it!!!
I know a friend who took a 18 x 18 plot and made his own castle and it was very fitting.. it even had a stable.
Use your imagination!
Let the creative juices flow....
hey if you can make a 7 x 7 a little castle go for it... 10x 10 great deal... a 18 x18 yipeee way to go.... even the 31 x 31...

Remember this...

No one said a castle had to be huge and I have always thought of my keep as a smaller castle.... go create and enjoy the ability to change the face of housing.

pppssstt Dot no one here said the smaller home owners were to be left out... hell they have the chance to create a plot to a mini castle if you think about it...
I know Mesanna would love to see small home designs too so. No they are not being left out.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Finley Grant made an incredible 18 x 18 'castle' design for Archknight, it's shown on the homes and castles thread, it really is one of the most beautiful custom homes I have ever seen.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Indeed, they still have not even acknowledged the Non-spawning invisible rubber banding doors.....which has now spread to NPC's too.
I wouldn't let them nowhere near your Castles. lol
:facepalm:
I have a house in ter mur that the door keeps disappearing on. Can open it at all. Not sure if it matters it's a older style wood door.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only Atlantic and possible Great Lakes. Any other shard they're maybe 10 mill tops. Not every shard is Atlantic.
Erm?? I don't remember saying anything about the ingame price, but I play on Europa and Tram Castles sell for upwards of 300 million....not 10 ;)

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a house in ter mur that the door keeps disappearing on. Can open it at all. Not sure if it matters it's a older style wood door.
It's a bug from the latest patch, no word on a fix because as of yet they are still denying the latest patch broke anything.....

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a specific floor plan size they want like 30x30 or 32x32. Would be kind of nice to know lol

Status
Not open for further replies.