• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Forgotten Treasures Update

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
5/24/2019 Greetings, For the past several weeks we have been working through updating one of the core features of Ultima Online. Work on an update to the “Treasure Hunter” profession started long before the first line of code was written and the first pixel was drawn as we gathered feedback from players at the 20th Anniversary party, via e-mail and messages, and on the UO Forum. As we planned the update to Treasure Hunting that would form the foundation of Forgotten Treasures we identified key areas of the experience that needed update from both the player’s and our own perspective. […]

Continue reading...

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
well, if it's bad, its bad. lol

Maybe they are gonna start listening to us

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sounds much better and sounds more like something you would bring a group to... Though I'm wondering why the no loot on the mobs? That's kinda a downer... don't see any reason why the mobs spawned would not have loot but whatever...

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay, so no more magic untrap? that means RT will be needed at every level of chest? Am I reading that right?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
  • The Remove Trap loop for Treasure Chests has been redesigned as follows,
    • When a player tries to open a chest that is trapped, they will receive a message to use the Remove Trap skill.
    • The disarming process will begin when a player uses Remove Trap on the chest.
    • During the disarming process Ancient Chest Guardians, chosen from the monsters that can spawn during the initial dig, will spawn to defend the chest. These monsters will not drop any loot.
    • These monsters must be defeated before the chest can be opened.
    • The length of this process is variable based on the player’s Remove Trap skill, with higher Remove Trap skill requiring less disarming time.
    • If the player moves more than 16 tiles away from the chest or is killed during the disarming process, the process must be restarted.
  • We have taken another pass at chest loot quality and have made the following changes,
    • Magic Equipment will now spawn in all level chests.
    • Doubled the amount of magic equipment that spawns.
    • Added additional loot entries to all chest packages, primarily for Scrolls of Transcendence and Scrolls of Alacrity.

I like the more monsters. The normal spawn will still drop what they drop, but these are different and could be abused if they dropped stuff.

Looks like "Whining and Complaining won!" HA HA

Thanks from me to @Tina Small @Keven2002 @Khaelor @MissEcho @the other testers on the UO forum for following the format and giving the needed feedback!

The loot is still going to Sux. But if you are getting Legendaries, there is a Chance to get a good RNG combo.

Put the Puzzles somewhere else for those that like them. Dungeons have lots of chests!

@MissEcho Congrats! Your patience won again on the UO Forums.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay, so no more magic untrap? that means RT will be needed at every level of chest? Am I reading that right?
Twas all a diversion to make players quit complaining about that. :gee:

The meeting went, What are they complaining about? Loot, items, puzzles. Ok fix those go ahead with the rest.

suckers :)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL
well that changes things, was hanging onto the 4s and 5s since I could do them magically after the update. But with RT needed for them as well, I gotta get em done now! :D

It's all good.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
So Remove Trap is still required? I think @Pawain is right, they do it to us every time... I'm not training Remove Trap.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see how it's required. You can take the damage from the trap instead of removing it and not lose any items.
I think the explosion from clicking the unlocked trapped chest (or using Telekinesis spell on it) will still cause an explosion that destroys items in the chest. I asked on the official forum for clarification.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So Remove Trap is still required? I think @Pawain is right, they do it to us every time... I'm not training Remove Trap.
I just follow the news and express my opinion. The developers are begging us to go play with them on TC.

IMO remove trap is a fair tradeoff. Mining can stay on your miner.

When Test Center goes to phase 3, go play with the developers and have fun.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What's this "remove trap" trainer item that we're supposed to buy? Is it for gold, or for Real Money $USD?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's this "remove trap" trainer item that we're supposed to buy? Is it for gold, or for Real Money $USD?
Currently you can get them for free from 3 stones next to the scribe shop at the Britain commons. Try using them on a character with low/no real trap skill to see how they work for training the skill.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see how it's required. You can take the damage from the trap instead of removing it and not lose any items.
Kyronix posted this about half an hour ago: "No items will be destroyed under any circumstances. You cannot use telekinesis and you cannot set the trap off. You use Remove Trap to diffuse the trap regardless of skill level. If you have the skill you will have a shorter time to disarm the trap which will equate to less damage from the trap as you diffuse it and less spawn to deal with. "

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kyronix posted this about half an hour ago: "No items will be destroyed under any circumstances. You cannot use telekinesis and you cannot set the trap off. You use Remove Trap to diffuse the trap regardless of skill level. If you have the skill you will have a shorter time to disarm the trap which will equate to less damage from the trap as you diffuse it and less spawn to deal with. "
This is similar to what I requested. Lower RT skill has a consequence but frees up build points.

Find the perfect level!

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I find the spawn/guardians on chests phenomenally weak, to the point it's basically just a minor puzzle itself - get this stuff out the way then you can loot - it needs to be better than that. Top level maps do not have top level difficulty of spawn so there's nothing to aspire to or care about. The levels of maps are perfectly setup to be balanced for levels of player skill. You need to be way more inventive at top level guardians. It needs to be more random so it's less easy to prepare for. There should be some (not all) top level maps that spawn with something you can't do without calling help, and it should have a good enough reward that its worth people turning up for. SA peerless/champ spawn boss level would be a good starting point. I'd like to see a monster that changes abilities by borrowing from other peerless/bosses, not as in it looks like an Earth Ele but uses Stygian Dragons attacks (that old chestnut that you trot out at every event) but something that looks like an Earth Ele but spawns on one map with Stygian Dragons Dismount and Neiras bones, and on the next map it's Rikktors EQ and Grizzles Cacophony. Unpredictable = interesting. (It doesn't have to look like an Earth Ele the point was more that it spawns looking plain but you don't know what you're up against.)

It doesn't have to just be a big bad boss either, some could spawn with a mini war going on (Terrathans vs Ophidians for e.g.) you have these opposing groups in game, why don't you start utilising it? Opposites spawning together has the added bonus of making it more difficult for the player because if you're holding a slayer for one you get hit for more by the other.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Say, while they're in the mood to listen to feedback, d' y' think they could look at the 2019 wish list?

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow, I'm actually encouraged by this development! I'll wait to comment until we see what actually shows up on TC, but at least someone is listening.

Back to training remove traps.... ugh.

ChelseyEvilElf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there any news on what they are going to do with the old maps people are saving? Ive got a keep full of ingenius maps!

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Old maps will convert to the new map names, so Level 6 (Ingenius) will become the new Level 4 (Horde).

ChelseyEvilElf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Old maps will convert to the new map names, so Level 6 (Ingenius) will become the new Level 4 (Horde).
how many lvls are they planning on?
and is lvl 4 horde maps good?
What is a horde map anyways?
sorry this all new to me

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Sounds much better and sounds more like something you would bring a group to... Though I'm wondering why the no loot on the mobs? That's kinda a downer... don't see any reason why the mobs spawned would not have loot but whatever...
The changes are a decent trade-off though. No puzzles. Hopefully better loot. Not too bad.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
5/24/2019 Greetings, For the past several weeks we have been working through updating one of the core features of Ultima Online. Work on an update to the “Treasure Hunter” profession started long before the first line of code was written and the first pixel was drawn as we gathered feedback from players at the 20th Anniversary party, via e-mail and messages, and on the UO Forum. As we planned the update to Treasure Hunting that would form the foundation of Forgotten Treasures we identified key areas of the experience that needed update from both the player’s and our own perspective. […]

Continue reading...
*****BOOM*****
No puzzles! No items going POOF on fails! RT acting like mining was plus! Better loot tables!

(
The negatives in the changes are far outweighed by the positives, good trade off)

:):):):):):):):party::party::danceb::danceb::party::party::):):):):):):)

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Forgotten Treasures Update – Ultima Online

5/24/2019

Greetings,

For the past several weeks we have been working through updating one of the core features of Ultima Online. Work on an update to the “Treasure Hunter” profession started long before the first line of code was written and the first pixel was drawn as we gathered feedback from players at the 20th Anniversary party, via e-mail and messages, and on the UO Forum. As we planned the update to Treasure Hunting that would form the foundation of Forgotten Treasures we identified key areas of the experience that needed update from both the player’s and our own perspective. As we try to deliver on these goals sometimes a feature feels right, and other times does not quite work out. We want to thank everyone who has participated in providing feedback for what’s on TC1 and would like to share with you several changes we have in the works,

• Items will no longer be destroyed with lockpicking failures, instead a grubber will spawn before the lock is opened.
  • Items will no longer be destroyed when Remove Trap fails.
  • Puzzles will no longer be a part of the Treasure Chest trap.
  • Remove Trap trainers will still be available for purchase should players wish to train their skill this way. You will also be able to train Remove Trap via untrapping Treasure Chests and other traps already in the gameworld.
  • Magic Untrap will no longer work on Treasure Chests, Magic Unlock will work as it is currently implemented on TC1.
  • The Remove Trap loop for Treasure Chests has been redesigned as follows,
    • When a player tries to open a chest that is trapped, they will receive a message to use the Remove Trap skill.
    • The disarming process will begin when a player uses Remove Trap on the chest.
    • During the disarming process Ancient Chest Guardians, chosen from the monsters that can spawn during the initial dig, will spawn to defend the chest. These monsters will not drop any loot.
    • These monsters must be defeated before the chest can be opened.
    • The length of this process is variable based on the player’s Remove Trap skill, with higher Remove Trap skill requiring less disarming time.
    • If the player moves more than 16 tiles away from the chest or is killed during the disarming process, the process must be restarted.
  • We have taken another pass at chest loot quality and have made the following changes,
    • Magic Equipment will now spawn in all level chests.
    • Doubled the amount of magic equipment that spawns.
    • Added additional loot entries to all chest packages, primarily for Scrolls of Transcendence and Scrolls of Alacrity.
We’ve also identified a number of issues that could cause chests to erroneously come up empty or for chests to be missing certain loot items. We’ll have full details in the release notes when these changes hit TC1.

We are currently working through the changes internally and hope to have them live on TC1 early next week, these changes are not currently live on TC1. We know there are bound to be some questions regarding these changes, but we would encourage everyone to hold off until we have something concrete on TC1 as things often can change during internal testing. We, however, did not want to go into a long weekend without sharing our plans with the community!

For those of you who will be celebrating the Memorial Day holiday in the United States we hope you join us in honoring those who made the ultimate sacrifice and enjoy a safe and happy extended weekend.

See you in Britannia,

UO Team

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The changes are a decent trade-off though. No puzzles. Hopefully better loot. Not too bad.
If the loot doesn't suck and we still get the alacrity scrolls, tasty treats, PS, Pinks, and all the other nice things that I liked like the gold keys and such great... but I'm a bit concerned about some of the changes but waiting to see it in action. Sounds complicated but we'll see once they get it on TC..

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Yep we wait with baited breaths. If the changes are good it will mean really a new beginning for lots of players that did not do maps before, to start now. This was likely the idea to begin with..

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If the loot doesn't suck and we still get the alacrity scrolls, tasty treats, PS, Pinks, and all the other nice things that I liked like the gold keys and such great... but I'm a bit concerned about some of the changes but waiting to see it in action. Sounds complicated but we'll see once they get it on TC..
Thats also the important part for me. Really curious what "improved loot" will mean this round ;) Don't see it bringing in any new players like others do, since it's 99% the same system only with some other names, some other spells used and less loot thats spread out further, but will see.

The PS are nice though, but I think they could have added those without 3 feedback loops on TC :D