• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Atlantic Rollback

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tames are still there. Land is still there. Items and gold can be exchanged again.

The team not given the easy out during the holidays? Put on you big boy pants and do the work again. Noones happiness overrides the few that might not recover their losses. I don't want to find out 5 more days later they figure out what was the right thing to do. And then they do it. That will be an insult to palyers game time.
Interesting that you should post that. So why don't you take your own advice, instead of demanding everyone else be penalized?

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You lost 2 weeks gametime, they replace with 30 days gametime. A logical business decision regarding time.
In economics, there are the concepts of a consumer surplus and a producer surplus. For just about every UO player, the consumer surplus is massive. Did someone get $50 of enjoyment/satisfaction out of the two weeks? That's a few bucks per hour, playing just one hour a day. Well, now the affected Atlantic players get double the time to try to achieve the same. (I'm necessarily putting aside those who lost because of shard transfers, but those are being worked on.) If someone labored a long time for skill gain or getting an item, but wasn't getting his/her money's worth, then why did the person spend the time in the first place? Aside from very rare opportunities like EM events and coming across a blaze cu sidhe, to claim "30 days won't compensate for my two weeks" is illogical. It's to say that the original two weeks were not well spent in the first place.

Some say gold is worth ___. We can't talk about items in terms of real life monetary value. We're not supposed to, in no small part so EA can fully disclaim responsibility for what goes wrong. The moment they admit any data has any real life value to a customer, then Terms of Service or not, they open themselves up to legally enforceable obligations to make restitution.

A month of free game time certainly compensates for the lost playtime. There's no deadline to meet; the subscription is open-ended. The extra two weeks for most people makes up for missed opportunities, like artifacts/rares and recently tamed animals. My pity is for those who did a severe skill grind. For those who struggled with taming or other head-bangers, perhaps the account could have a one-time skill gain for one Atlantic character, (skill cap - current skill)/2. "Half the distance to the goal line, repeat the down."

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I have a question on the free gametime. I did not have any characters ensared by a shard transfer. But I did loose from 118 Blacksmithy which reverted to 100 and some other skill gains. Will I automatically qualify for the free gametime credit?

I will admit that it would be nice if there was a free SoT for 10.0 skill gain per character that could be applied to any skill, but is character bound. That would help compensate lost training. Possibly a second ticket for a free artifact of choice to compensate for lost drops. I completed a bunch of champ spawns between 5 and 17 Dec and also lost a some 120 power scrolls.

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I got an email finally. Apparently, I'm not counted among the lucky ones tho.

Greetings,

Please accept our deepest apologies for this necessary rollback. We understand the frustration and aggravation this has caused you and please rest assured that this was our last resort.

As compensation for this inconvenience we will be providing a complimentary 30 additional days of game time to all accounts that were affected by this rollback and we thank you for your patience while we sort this out.

If you have claimed any Veteran Rewards, your account has been credited back the number of choices you used during this timeframe. As such, you may use these to select the same rewards again or a different one of your choice.

If you have redeemed any items via the input of a code, then please submit a new petition stating which item you claimed or code you redeemed (actual code) and on what character using the following template and we will do our best to restore this to you.

Character:
Code Item Lost:
Code (actual code entered in-game):
Approximate Time of Claim:

We're afraid however that any other items lost or characters created during this time will unfortunately be lost as they are outside our ability to restore. Once again we are terribly sorry for any frustration this has caused and if you have any suggestions about how we might be better able to address this matter then please don’t hesitate to submit feedback about it so the developers can review it.

You can submit feedback at http://uo.com/contact by selecting the Game Feedback option from the drop down.

Thank you again for your patience with us in this matter,

Ultima Online In-game Customer Support
Mythic, A Division of EA

I notice it doesn't say they can't restore my lost char, only chars created during the revert time (I'm guessing).

Last edited:

Kahlan

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok so heres my 2 cents... I play/trade on Atlantic and lost a bit of gold and items. After going through and checking the involved accts it was around 50mil in gold on a vendor and about 125mil in items. What I can say is this... I lost some others lost more, some less. Does this situation sux? Yes. Is ranting and complaining and demanding a full revert going to help? No, not really. If they were going to revert all the shards it would have already been done. Its not fair to think that all should suffer because a few were affected and demand that all should be. Characters have already begun to be restored, hopefully most will be. Those that aren't, well there are many people I have seen volunterring to help out, count myself among them. Though right now my resources on Atl are limited. I hate that this happened to US in OUR game, something I read here and agree with, this is our game, we make it what it is. So after this situation is fixed we should look to open a real dialouge with Mesanna and the Dev team to voice our concerns and see what they are going to do to preven something like this from happening again. I am really sorry for the honest and legimate players who lost so much, it may just be pixel crack but its our pixel crack! I can't hoard and collect irl like I do ingame, there would be a flim crew at my house and a psycharist on standby. So the collecting and hoarding I do ingame is threaputic. Playing for many of us is exactly that, so it shouldn't be discounted that our time, efforts, and energies don't mean anything. But like Petra, Kelmo, and many others, as much as it sucks to say it, we do need to stpe back, let them work and see where it gets us.

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
In economics, there are the concepts of a consumer surplus and a producer surplus. For just about every UO player, the consumer surplus is massive.
A) Extending my subscription by X days is not the same as giving me back the X days of time that have been deleted from history.

B) I haven't gotten anything yet. I have a sneaking suspicion that only the people who lost veteran rewards or transfers are going to get the 30 days, and everyone else is going to be told to suck it up.

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I highly recomend EVERYBODY who lost something should write an email with a description of the loss to make sure he/she gets in the tracker of Mythic's replacement and compensation "sheet" - if you dont do this you might be not noticed as someone hit by the revert...

Just a notice..

Last edited:

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I highly recomend EVERYBODY who lost something should write an email with a description of the loss to make sure he/she gets in the tracker of Mythic's replacement and compensation "sheet" - if you dont do this you might be not noticed as someone hit by the revert...

Just a notice..
Again, Information to those of us who lost stuff on Atlantic on how to 'claim' the 30 days has not been forthcoming.

Do you page a gm? Do you write an email? How are they going to determine who 'plays' Atlantic and who doesn't? I play on Atlantic 2-3 hrs in the mornings and Oceania 2-3 hrs in afternoon evening on average, some days I may miss Atlantic, others, I may miss Oceania, eg haven't logged into Oceania the last two days in an effort to start trying to replace the stuff on Atlantic lost.

Will SOMEBODY please supply this information.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will SOMEBODY please supply this information.
I paged a GM who said wait for an email. Two days later and still no email. My sub was due today and went out of my bank as normal. I would also like to know what to do for the gametime.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If people will excuse some more unfounded guesswork from me. I don't think you need do anything. Decisions regarding who gets the gametime will be probable be made by analysis of log ins to Atlantic shard - the backups are unstable for playing, but they do exist to draw information from I think?
In this way they will avoid hours of wasted time investigating possibly fraudulant claims.

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just got a reply from a GM reguarding this, i asked how do we find out and apply for the 30 days. He said that it will be automatically added to all affected accounts in the next few days.

So we dont have to go banking on there door they know who was affected and if they deam you were you'll get it automatically.

I got my 2 transfer tikens id used during that period back in my back pack when my char showed up so im happy $40 already for the inconvenience :)

Thunderz

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i only see one problem with this.
90% of the ones that"lost stuff in a transfer" seem to be lieing.
no way this many people transfered thier "whole rare collection" in a 12 day period.
<sillymode>
...but of course! They wanted to have their pressies near them when the world is ending tomorrow... *thinks* ohmy! *hurries off to buy a nice towel* :D
</sillymode>

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no way this many people transfered thier "whole rare collection" in a 12 day period.
It does seem a little strange methinks.....there seems like more transfers were ''done'' than actual UO players...[whatever] :next:...Hey put me down for a portion too!!! I must have lost some stuff........

Last edited:

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...and most interestingly, there people don´t only transfer ****loads of rares but also packhorses full of gold-checks - making losses that go in the billions...

WAIT!!! OH MY GOD! I lost a packhorse with checks tooo... GIMME BACK YOU BASTARDS!!!:whip:

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Well peeps, do what you want, silly me handing out hints and tips...what do i know...
Still i hope you all get as much as possible back and be happy again.
I am out of this discussion, real life got me and its time for a break
Happy holidays you all!

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I paged a GM who said wait for an email. Two days later and still no email. My sub was due today and went out of my bank as normal. I would also like to know what to do for the gametime.
I got one today:

Greetings,

Please accept our deepest apologies for this necessary rollback. We understand the frustration and aggravation this has caused you and please rest assured that this was our last resort.

As compensation for this inconvenience we will be providing a complimentary 30 additional days of game time to all accounts that were affected by this rollback and we thank you for your patience while we sort this out. If your account is eligible you will receive these 30 free days within the next few days. Please keep an eye on your email and account center.

Mythic, A Division of EA

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't worry about that. The team are working to actual transfer records, not what the players tell them.

Buddy Lee

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A) Extending my subscription by X days is not the same as giving me back the X days of time that have been deleted from history.

B) I haven't gotten anything yet. I have a sneaking suspicion that only the people who lost veteran rewards or transfers are going to get the 30 days, and everyone else is going to be told to suck it up.
I did not lose any vet rewards or do any transfers. I did lose GM Capentry and about 20 points of inscriptions as well as around 12 mil in gold and items. I did not put in any kind of request because I know they are busy enough. However, I did receive my 30 day credit on my account.

I would guess they are determining it based on if and/or how much you logged into Atlantic.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think I have been more upset by lack of communication than in this thread by EA. All I want is communication.

We are doing this.
We aren't doing this.
This is where we are in the process.
This is what happened and what we have done to help prevent it in the future.
This is how we as a company are going to help make things right and show you we value you continuing to subscribe to our game.

Anything...

The Predator

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I don't think I have been more upset by lack of communication than in this thread by EA. All I want is communication.

We are doing this.
We aren't doing this.
This is where we are in the process.
This is what happened and what we have done to help prevent it in the future.
This is how we as a company are going to help make things right and show you we value you continuing to subscribe to our game.

Anything...
Agreed. GIVE US SOMETHING HERE PLEASE.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You play to do nothing other buy and sell items to amass huge amounts of gold?
Thats fine but either way you are speculating. And sometimes when you speculate you get burned.

Reverts totally suck and we all lose something but after all the dust settles what have you really lost if you are playing legally and not just 'playing' so that you can sell pixel-crack for cash?

If you are whining about time lost building characters and suits I kinda dont get it. The playing of the game is what you are paying $13 a month for and they did not take that away. You still spent those two weeks playing the game. What am I missing?
Who is playing Ultima looking for a finish line?

I have played this game for 15 years and bought and sold many, many billions.
I lost my own bit during this reversal but dont really care as my main focus is pvp and nothing is lost there. I pvped for those two weeks and had alot of fun. Nobody owes me any items or free gametime.

Bash pvp all you want but it is probably the only playstyle left that is as the original creators of the game intended. Trashtalk and all.

Just sayin...

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bash pvp all you want but it is probably the only playstyle left that is as the original creators of the game intended. Trashtalk and all.
Keep in mind RG went on to make "Ultimate Collector," a game in which all you do is collect ****, lol. I think he would have done the same with UO.

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Logical deduction. Some people have posted that their transfers were completed without them having to page or email :)
Ya know, I was about ready to slam some people for dumping on sweet Petra. I didn't really know much of her before Stratic's 15th anniversary and then I watched her online talk for 2 hours about how much she loves this game. She is the sweetiest older lady with a good heart and such passion for Ultima Online. Then I remembered how tough she is and how she can take care of herself.

Petra, you are actually doing the job of something I used to do back in 1997-98, which was to try and calm the nerves when thousands of people would come on here and bash the Devs regularly. I stuck up for the Devs, reminded the mob that it was leading edge technology and that they needed to calm down and be patient - that Atlantic would be up soon. *laughs* Only you do it every day in an official compacity, with such flair, patience and kindness. You are truly the "Great Lady of Stratics". Thank you for all that you do.

Rimeny

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well folks, my character (Luck...how ironic) has been restored to the Atlantic server this afternoon. All items in tact. I would like to thank GM Kengath for assisting.

Greetings,

Fortunately we were able to successfully recover your character Luck on the Atlantic shard. Please keep in mind this character will be in the state it was at the time of the original transfer.

Once again we are terribly sorry for any frustration this has caused and if you have any suggestions about how we might be better able to address this matter then please don’t hesitate to submit feedback about it so the developers can review it.

You can submit feedback at http://uo.com/contact by selecting the Game Feedback option from the drop down.

Mythic, A Division of EA

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is encouraging! Thanks for the info. As Frarc always says: Patience is a virtue...

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, true that. Never doubted that. But I also knew that cleaning up a mess like this will take some time - and there seems to be not much room for PR at the moment. Holidays approaching and so on. After all, they are humans - not robots

Rimeny

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I work in a service delivery environment and one of the key factors is any news even if bad is better then none, at least you set expectations of your clients.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I work in a service delivery environment and one of the key factors is any news even if bad is better then none, at least you set expectations of your clients.
The problem is that online, the clients are even more outrageous than you could expect to see in a month of customer service in real life, due to the relative anonymity. And the ridiculous drama can quickly snowball as people link and re-link back to feed the outrage-machine. Most MMO companies have since learned that it's better to say nothing online than to say "X, y, Z" and have internet-lawyers pick apart why y was in lower case, "and doesn't this prove that wibble wibble honk?!"

In this case, if they'd have said the actual truth, that they're working on a case by case basis to return what they can from a transfer back up rather than Atlantic, as should now be crushingly obvious and easily predictable, then you'd still have got people howling "Well why haven't they got to me yet then?! It's all lies! Service me NOW!" ... and then others would link back to them as proof that their conspiracy theories were valid... In this thread we've had people even argue that the company should have outright lied in order to forward their own individual interests... but you know, the net is what, nearly 20 years old by now? Most people have at least got an inkling of just how far down the online cesspit can go, and the reasonable people online at least have a bit more faith in companies and organisations to do the right thing, at least for their business, than some random internet commentator's ranting. In such a situation simply saying nothing makes much more sense for businesses... unless they really think they're losing the rationalists' support. UO, despite the disaster of Atlantic and the problems with the patch, haven't got anywhere near that level yet.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
so i run 3 accounts that i would consider my 'mains'
yesterday my 3rd account got a free month tacked onto it when it runs out in another couple months.
so that cool.
so then i got to thinking.... how do they know that i was on on that account but not my other 2?
then i remembered that i had paged a GM about that commodity chest that fell under my house, and i had done it on that account.
so i just assumed that that was how they had doled out the free month.
squeaky wheel kinda thing.
but then today my account #2 got a free month.
and i havnt paged a GM on that account.
so i went and checked my account #1 (which i would consider my MAIN account) and nothing.

so im back to having no idea how they are doling out the 30 days.

they must have a master list of who logs in and such i guess.

HonorableAdventurer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...and we shall all see, that many of those aggressive people from the first posts of this thread will be suddenly VERY QUIET :p
I for one am very glad that they did not do the "right thing by lying and just reverting all the shards not affected as well" because the wrong thing seems to be turning out pretty good ..
I am also glad some frustrated developer did not come here to update and see some of these "only fair thing to do is make everyone suffer" post and pitch that idea...
/end sarcasm

Very happy to hear everyone is getting taken care of :)

Last edited:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem is that online, the clients are even more outrageous than you could expect to see in a month of customer service in real life, due to the relative anonymity. And the ridiculous drama can quickly snowball as people link and re-link back to feed the outrage-machine. Most MMO companies have since learned that it's better to say nothing online than to say "X, y, Z" and have internet-lawyers pick apart why y was in lower case, "and doesn't this prove that wibble wibble honk?!"

In this case, if they'd have said the actual truth, that they're working on a case by case basis to return what they can from a transfer back up rather than Atlantic, as should now be crushingly obvious and easily predictable, then you'd still have got people howling "Well why haven't they got to me yet then?! It's all lies! Service me NOW!" ... and then others would link back to them as proof that their conspiracy theories were valid... In this thread we've had people even argue that the company should have outright lied in order to forward their own individual interests... but you know, the net is what, nearly 20 years old by now? Most people have at least got an inkling of just how far down the online cesspit can go, and the reasonable people online at least have a bit more faith in companies and organisations to do the right thing, at least for their business, than some random internet commentator's ranting. In such a situation simply saying nothing makes much more sense for businesses... unless they really think they're losing the rationalists' support. UO, despite the disaster of Atlantic and the problems with the patch, haven't got anywhere near that level yet.
Despite the fact that I was, and may well still be, one of those who argued they should have done just what you suggest would've been bad.....I have to say that when described as you have it is a difficult proposition to argue against.

-Galen's player

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya know, I was about ready to slam some people for dumping on sweet Petra. I didn't really know much of her before Stratic's 15th anniversary and then I watched her online talk for 2 hours about how much she loves this game. She is the sweetiest older lady with a good heart and such passion for Ultima Online. Then I remembered how tough she is and how she can take care of herself.

Petra, you are actually doing the job of something I used to do back in 1997-98, which was to try and calm the nerves when thousands of people would come on here and bash the Devs regularly. I stuck up for the Devs, reminded the mob that it was leading edge technology and that they needed to calm down and be patient - that Atlantic would be up soon. *laughs* Only you do it every day in an official compacity, with such flair, patience and kindness. You are truly the "Great Lady of Stratics". Thank you for all that you do.
AwShucks.gif
T'ain't nuthin, honest :)

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Despite the fact that I was, and may well still be, one of those who argued they should have done just what you suggest would've been bad.....I have to say that when described as you have it is a difficult proposition to argue against.

-Galen's player
In a rational world, it wouldn't be bad to give feedback; and I certainly don't think you as a rational person were wrong to call for them doing so... I'd personally have been tempted to detail exactly what was happening behind the scenes myself. Accuracy and truth and such. But we don't live in a rational world, but on a world that's ending soon because of MAYANS, remember? Everyone says so, or has heard someone who said so, and there's all these new age books, obviously with the purest of motives, that say it's going to end because of mumble mumble astrology and yes ok actual Archaeologists say that's not even what the Mayans themselves believed, it's not like we don't have lots more of their documents, but still... IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD SOON!!!

Basically we the consumer are actually the trolls, and they're not feeding us, and rightly so.

Last edited:

Brash

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Just an update: got my toon back, with all gear and items on him exactly as if he had by some fluke simply taken over a week to transfer.

I'm happy to have my char back, but... I echo many in saying that I'm not at all a fan of the lack of communication on their end.

And yes folks, I maintain that I did lose 1B+ of stuff. Dunno about all the other folks you're accusing of lying, but I for one was not. Very glad to have it back :)

T

Tazar

* checks another one off the list*

How many more are left? Lynk? Did you get yours back?

Status
Not open for further replies.