• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Ask & Answer No. 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Why would anybody be concerned about this as long as they are having fun?

This is why I keep my goods as cheap as possible and you will never buy me out of the items I stock because they are easy to get. I do not sell cheap rune books because the people they are for can't afford them so I give new shard players a rune book for free. Anybody that has played more than 3 months do not need these. These people whinning about this and using the "community" is a joke. New players need city rune books and there is no way they can afford one, much less at Luna prices.

Here is my welcome starter set. 6 piece male leather with each piece having MR1, Mana 7 and %18 LRC. If you are a Garg I will mod the set. 1 rune book (fully charged, 18/20) with some city mints and some basic hunting spots marked and an extra 20 recall / 5 mark scrolls. I will also make a basic warrior sets for those that need them. This is enough to get anyone started in UO and to start earning thier own way.
  1. I do this because I enjoy it.
  2. I do this because when I started this was what UO was all about and when peps ask me how much I just tell them to help others and have a nice day.
You are one of the few. I know of a few who are like you and I always offer them business by keeping track of the "good" vendors and sending newcomers their way. And I shall continue to do so.

I also keep track of the unscrupulous... and I do my best to pass on what I know of them .... avoiding them and their ilk. Pointing folk in other directions. And yes paying a higher premium for services sometimes because I will not shop there.

I applaud you on your efforts towards community. Wishing there were more who were there for the newcomers.

I quite often do not charge for my services as a crafter. Often crafting things for people, making furniture and anything needed out of kindness to help others. Not for profit. As I see it the more I assist others the more they will enjoy my home as much as I do and I hope they remain there.

But the fact is there are not so many like that. Sadly I find there are more and more of those out there who are just here to make a profit... They care nothing for anyone besides themselves and the DEV's seem to be fueling that drive..... Offering up more and more "rarities" and impossible goods fueling the madness and greed... and it sickens me and it poisons my love of UO to the point where I question my loyalties to the game I have loved for so very long.

I wish I could turn back the sands to when the EM's began and when they did NOT give items...... nothing more than a mere sash with their name... When the stories were all that was gained.... A fine tale told by master storytellers... fraught with dangers... and meant to be enjoyed for what they were.... not just a means to profit.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Have you ever spent 3 hours marking runebooks and have someone icq you 10 minutes after you stock the vendor with them to ask 'do you have any town books? Your vendor's out.'?
They make crafters feel like slave labour. Additionally, they prevent them providing the service they expect to, and where the crafter has built a reputation for reliability through keeping their vendor diligently stocked, the resellers destroy that reputation.
However, it's not yet proven that this vendor search will be detrimental, so we'll wait and see.
"Please government - change the law! I am really tired of selling out all of my stock! I want people to not buy the items so that I can have a full store! "

Do you even realize for a second how completely ridiculous that sounds? Raise your prices if you don't want to sell out of items so fast. You are slave labor because you allow yourself to be. Plain and simple..... Wow, just wow.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Please government - change the law! I am really tired of selling out all of my stock! I want people to not buy the items so that I can have a full store! "

Do you even realize for a second how completely ridiculous that sounds? Raise your prices if you don't want to sell out of items so fast. You are slave labor because you allow yourself to be. Plain and simple..... Wow, just wow.
So your saying effectively "Jack your prices up to what we would charge if you don't want to get bought out by resellers! Overcharge and price gouge all your customers like we do or we'll buy you out and do it for you! We've got no class or scruples that stand in the way of our greed! If you won't charge the gold WE KNOW can be clawed out of customers then your a fool! Screw what something is actually worth! PRICE GOUGE! PRICE GOUGE! PRICE GOUGE! MILLIONS, BILLIONS, TRILLIANS OF GOLD! BWAHAHAHA!!!!"

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
No, you're just the people who refuse to live in reality.

No one can control what people do with your products after they buy them. People might use them, sell them again, or throw them away, and no one can do anything about it. Not you, and not the developers. Quit pretending that asking them to is a sane request.

If you care about who buys your product, then you need to sell it face-to-face. Period.
This. Again.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So your saying effectively "Jack your prices up to what we would charge if you don't want to get bought out by resellers! Overcharge and price gouge all your customers like we do or we'll buy you out and do it for you! We've got no class or scruples that stand in the way of our greed! If you won't charge the gold WE KNOW can be clawed out of customers then your a fool! Screw what something is actually worth! PRICE GOUGE! PRICE GOUGE! PRICE GOUGE! MILLIONS, BILLIONS, TRILLIANS OF GOLD! BWAHAHAHA!!!!"
Look, if resellers are able to sell it at a higher price - then the item is WORTH the higher price. If it is not, someone will acquire/craft it and sell it for a lower price. The vendor search would allow you to FIND the cheapest price.

This is just insane at how many people don't understand a free market. Seriously. You all act like you are providing food to the poor...
I'm done arguing here. If you don't get it, you don't get it. Maybe you live in North Korea or something and your sense of capitalism/economics/free markets is warped.

Here is the info if you want to educate yourself... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_equilibrium

Your problem is you are way left on the supply curve and don't know it.

Last edited:

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Yeah honestly, this whole attitude?

"I want to sell things for below their average price as some sort of charity because it makes me feel like a good person. But I don't want to be resposible for cultivating my own customers or selling face to face. Nope, I just want to plop things up on a vendor. But I want the vendor to somehow read peoples minds and only sell to them if they're people I would approve of."

If that's you, then go sit down while the adults are talking. No system that could actually exist in reality will please you.

Last edited:

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Look, if resellers are able to sell it at a higher price - then the item is WORTH the higher price. If it is not, someone will acquire/craft it and sell it for a lower price. The vendor search would allow you to FIND the cheapest price.
This is a game. where having the few new players run into prices with more zeroes added on than they have gold serves no other purpose than creating a huge amount of imaginary wealth for the seller and discouraging the few new players we see. "Wow, I got a job, a family, and a life. I can play a few hours a couple times a week, I'd have to loot 10,000 gold a minute to just be able to buy the one item by the end of the year. Think I'll go play a game with prices that are something I can manage to pay with the limited playtime I have."

When your investment in training costs average per item, time, and materials are $8.00 per item, and you charge $7,999.00 per item. That qualifies as price gouging. You might sell 100 items for that price to those whose money is so plentiful it means little to them, or you could sell it for $80.00 to 1,000,000,000 people, making their lives better, and making far more money in the end. To me, the later situation is the way to go. I make a lot of money and make many more people happier.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah honestly, this whole attitude?

"I want to sell things for below their average price as some sort of charity because it makes me feel like a good person. But I don't want to be resposible for cultivating my own customers or selling face to face. Nope, I just want to plop things up on a vendor. But I want the vendor to somehow read peoples minds and only sell to them if they're people I would approve of."

If that's you, then go sit down while the adults are talking. No system that could actually exist in reality will please you.
Interesting twist on logic... :lol:

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Random video.. somehow makes sense here.

I suppose you'll have to go to youtube to watch it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.