• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO clients on Mac

NaughtyChild

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Recently returned to UO and play on iMac using Parallels VMs, also try Oracle VBox.
Both solutions have a problem in which Enhanced and Classic clients have huge lags when visiting heavy loaded houses, traveling on HS-ships, opening champion altar etc... (imho, VirtualBox has problems with correct EC playing at all, only CC works normal)

iMac configuration is actual for today (i5 3.4 GHz, 8Gb ram, GTX 775M 2Gb).
Now I use WinXP VM with 2GB ram and 512mb video. Increasing to 3Gb ram and 1Gb video gives no effect. The same lags.

Sure, I'm not the only one who had such problems and plays using virtualization.

Maybe someone will share correct VM-settings for playing UO without lags?

P.S: Dont suggest to install bootcamp. Im searching solution for VM...=)

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry my friend. After a dozen years of playing UO in OS X.. there simply is no other solution.

I've found the best success with legacy games such as UO is to play them via Boot Camp. That way you're playing in Native Windows. Despite VMWare and Parallels claims that their Windows drivers are backwards compatible; I've discovered that this is not true for much older software like UO.

Just setup Boot Camp and Ctrl-D when you boot up and boot in to Windows and play. The specs on your mac are light years more than adequate to play UO lag free (not accounting for latency of course).

FYI: Just so you know I have a bit more credibility than just being another Mac user.. I was also a Genius for 3 years and moved on to Engineer specializing in platform support for Apple. :)

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I use Wine. The interface is ugly, getting it up and running is a little more than just plug and play and there are occasional weird bugs but it works great otherwise and it's free. I pvp a little and do ok, when I die it's because I suck not because of lag or technical issues. Crossover works well and is easier to set up and lets you open the client directly from the dock but it's not free so when the trial expire I switched back to Wine.
Maybe when UO is released on Steam they'll make a Mac version, probably not but we can dream!

OvenBird

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To add to the wine list playonmac is another simple.option and runs well.

NaughtyChild

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
:( ehhhh...
Sorry my friend. After a dozen years of playing UO in OS X.. there simply is no other solution.
I've found the best success with legacy games such as UO is to play them via Boot Camp. That way you're playing in Native Windows. Despite VMWare and Parallels claims that their Windows drivers are backwards compatible; I've discovered that this is not true for much older software like UO.
Just setup Boot Camp and Ctrl-D when you boot up and boot in to Windows and play. The specs on your mac are light years more than adequate to play UO lag free (not accounting for latency of course).
FYI: Just so you know I have a bit more credibility than just being another Mac user.. I was also a Genius for 3 years and moved on to Engineer specializing in platform support for Apple. :)
Yep, but I dont like BootCamp cause it makes open and vulnerable file system on iMac... That way I try to find solution via VMs)

I use Wine. The interface is ugly, getting it up and running is a little more than just plug and play and there are occasional weird bugs but it works great otherwise and it's free. I pvp a little and do ok, when I die it's because I suck not because of lag or technical issues. Crossover works well and is easier to set up and lets you open the client directly from the dock but it's not free so when the trial expire I switched back to Wine.
Maybe when UO is released on Steam they'll make a Mac version, probably not but we can dream!
Crossover suppoorts both type of client?

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yep, but I dont like BootCamp cause it makes open and vulnerable file system on iMac... That way I try to find solution via VMs)
Only as vulnerable as a native Windows installation. The Windows file installation is still vulnerable while running VM or Parallels. I've ran Windows in Boot Camp and Parallels on dozens of machines over the years and never had any sort of intrusive issue. But, I also practice much safer browser/email habits than the average consumer.

Anyways. Crossover will work as a substitution for VM or Parallels. It runs on native Linux which of course is the core of OS X. As already mentioned, it takes a bit of tweaking in the console to smooth out some of the weird things that occur in wine type emulators such as neon colors and issues with maintaining a constant resolution but it does work. Since its running on Linux and emulating windows it does run native Windows Drivers for things such as DirectX and AMD or nVidia gpu. So technically there should be a little vulnerability. But none has been reported largely in the wild.

I haven't played with Crossover in a few years, but the last time I ran UO in it, it only ran the classic client and there was no support for uoassist or uomaps.

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Crossover suppoorts both type of client?
I only play the Classic Client so I can't speak to the EC.

Haruchai

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't played with Crossover in a few years, but the last time I ran UO in it, it only ran the classic client and there was no support for uoassist or uomaps.
I play with Crossover these days and it is fine with the Classic client - but as you say, no uoassist. The EC appears to have problems with graphics - the patcher loads and works fine, but the login screen simply flashes a random neon where one can see the vague outlines of the appropriate boxes, but no input can be placed correctly.

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play the EC through Wine perfectly using Wineskin Winery. I don't think I even had to install anything in the bottle other than the EC. For weird display issues, set it to use a virtual desktop at a resolution smaller than your screen. You may have to learn one or two things to get it all set up, but it's worth it.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play the EC through Wine perfectly using Wineskin Winery. I don't think I even had to install anything in the bottle other than the EC. For weird display issues, set it to use a virtual desktop at a resolution smaller than your screen. You may have to learn one or two things to get it all set up, but it's worth it.
Are you doing this in Linux or on a Mac? There are different permissions in the OS X build that cause Wine to act funky.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I worked for apple for a few years in IT.. one thing i learned is that all of us owned a PC. Apple was just our job ha

A-tron

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I run original client with VM flawlessly. When I Dl'd the EC and started game. these are the messages i recieved.
"could not create hardware rendered clk ok to try software emulation,please note this will seriously degrade performance".
and when i press ok "Could not create game renderer please verify that your video card meets the minimum hardware requirements"
My mac is less than two years old and I am quite sure the video card has enough performance to handle rendering EC. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I really don't mind the original client, but after watching a youtube video of all the EC features I really would like to try it out.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I really don't mind the original client, but after watching a youtube video of all the EC features I really would like to try it out.
I have a 3 year old MacBook Pro and a brand new MacBook Pro and I have never been able to get the EC to run in VM or Parallels. Only Boot Camp. As has been mentioned earlier, a handful of people have succeeded in getting EC to run with some sort of Wine solution. I haven't been as lucky. I prefer Boot Camp personally as all the drivers are native rather than wrappers. Some people worry about security, however the OS X partition is 100% secure as Windows is sandboxed during Boot Camp sessions. I've personally have never had a computer compromised and have been using Boot Camp for various apps for well over a decade.

A-tron

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Thanks guess I'll pony up the dough for a windows cd. Btw which windows do you run?