• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO 2D client upgrade in the works: post your wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Of course the gameplay window size is one of my favorites changes on the wishlist. Imagine you buy a 4k computer monitor. Then you will have a postcard size game window.

Theese days i talked with a returning player which is a retired person. I met also Flowers(?), a player with eye problems who is collection flowers.
Don't forget we are all about 20 years older. So the bagpack should be better "readable". Small thing are lost in the dark in the bags. In Germany they are talking about "Demographischer Wandel". Maybe it can be translated in "Old age is creeping on". This also happens to UO.

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
Despite the title, my very first post mentions they are looking into. I already apologized for the over-enthusiastic title. The GM did give me the impression they were very seriously looking into it. It can't hurt to collect some ideas on what improvements we'd like to see.

randy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Please do not add auto dress switches like ec that would get abused so quickly and would get changed the next patch don't even waste the effort in doing it.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe this is not what you were after, but I would LOVE to see the damage that was done to the classic client by kingdom reborn undone. The "re-tiling" of the world literally ruined the original look of so many places. Many roads, mountains, etc now look silly & unnatural. Not to mention the hundreds of out of place tiles that now exist all over the land (single tiles that are parts of buildings in the middle of a grassy field, etc).

One of the more offensive results is many "secret" or "hidden" areas of the game that people spent time exploring & marked runes for - those areas are inaccessible and the runes do not work. So many of the runes in the rune libraries to such places are useless. Many long term veterans of this game take pride in these little secret areas of this world - they make it fun and give reasons to explore for. Now, so many of them are lost to us all. It is really sad that this game has had so many developers that made changes without understanding the culture of this game.

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
What they're looking into is fixing small stuff and adding small things, like a spellbar slots.. like increasing game size window.. that sort of stuff. It's not an engine overhaul, as far as I know.

Spiffykeen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Resizable gameplay window and zoom features

Hotbars

EC style map (auto plotting of MIBs, ability to drop pins, seeing party members on radar, etc etc)

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lighten inside ob packs
This problem for me went away when I bought a new monitor Hannspree I logged in my pack was so bright I had to adjust the brightness & contrast. This problem may be something they might not be able to fix.
Before running out & buying a new monitor try adjusting the brightness & contrast on your monitor

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, threads like this can end up having a negative impact. The devs have mentioned in previous Meet and Greets that they will not be investing time into improving the CC. This thread title is pretty misleading because A. there is no upgrade in the works on any official level, and B. there has not been a formal call for community input at all.
I can see someone reading the title, throwing in 2 cents, and being mad 6 months from now when the so called upgrade never happens. Perhaps you can change the title to something like.. "what would you add or change in the classic client?" This defiantly makes for a interesting conversation regardless.

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
I don't see how I can change the title. It'd be good to change it to something like: "Devs are looking into upgrading 2d Client. What would your wishes be?" My original post clearly states "no promises were made".

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The devs have mentioned in previous Meet and Greets that they will not be investing time into improving the CC.
Something may have happened to change that, perhaps a higher percentage of CC players have closed accounts lately than ECers and it's enough to become a concern. UO loses enough players the Devs and Broadsword wind up unemployed. They may decide to make some changes to try and slow that loss.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

So in this thread I would like to collect everyone's ideas on upgrades they would like in the 2D client. Note: this GM mentioned no promises can be made, but that they are looking into it. And game window size enlargement is one of the things they would add when upgrading the 2D client.
Fine for peeps to post their desires, but I think this post is extremely misleading. I feel like people are gonna unduly get their hopes up.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't see how I can change the title. It'd be good to change it to something like: "Devs are looking into upgrading 2d Client. What would your wishes be?" My original post clearly states "no promises were made".
You should be able to change the thread title by editing your original post. At the bottom right of the edit page choose "more options". Then the thread title should display there for you to edit. If you need any help with it, just send me a PM and I can change it for you.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Something may have happened to change that, perhaps a higher percentage of CC players have closed accounts lately than ECers and it's enough to become a concern. UO loses enough players the Devs and Broadsword wind up unemployed. They may decide to make some changes to try and slow that loss.
Fair enough, that is a possibility. But I think if any real weight was involved in that idea, we would have heard a more formal announcement from the devs. That would be pretty big news, that several people would be excited and/or angry about. I just don't want to see people being mislead based on a quick GM conversation that involved only one player. Our 2d client defiantly needs more updating, but as of now, all of those request have been shot down rather bluntly. That just increases my skepticism that this is even gonna happen in any form. To want to do something, and to plan on doing something are two very different things.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fine for peeps to post their desires, but I think this post is extremely misleading. I feel like people are gonna unduly get their hopes up.
I tnink a whole section of players has pretty much given up hope.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*chuckles* Just my two pence here... I come with some little experience and maybe some imagined success, but this list of concerns needs to be pared down to a priority of one or two issues. You want a bigger window. I get it. I would like an in game map that has filters and levels.

Pick a battle and focus in that. Do NOT start stupid polls that are biased from the get go. We all see though that. Give the Devs an attainable target.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm glad they're looking into improving the CC, even though I'm an EC user, as the it's imperative we keep as many players as we can and give the best possible client choices to both new players who have never played and new players who USED to play. I'm not sure what the devs have in mind with improvements, but the things that I like about the EC/Pincos that I'm not sure I could live without and hope they put in are:

- Obviously the larger play window with zoom
- Auto dress/undress
- EC Style Map
- Ability to resize all gumps
- More informative character status sheet
- More informative animal lore sheet
- Grid/List container view

That being said, my real wish would be to improve the EC client so everyone would want to use it but I don't see that happening, so it may be better to just improve the CC. Dev team's in a bind on this one, I think! ;)

-P.E.

randy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm glad they're looking into improving the CC, even though I'm an EC user, as the it's imperative we keep as many players as we can and give the best possible client choices to both new players who have never played and new players who USED to play. I'm not sure what the devs have in mind with improvements, but the things that I like about the EC/Pincos that I'm not sure I could live without and hope they put in are:

- Obviously the larger play window with zoom
- Auto dress/undress
- EC Style Map
- Ability to resize all gumps
- More informative character status sheet
- More informative animal lore sheet
- Grid/List container view

That being said, my real wish would be to improve the EC client so everyone would want to use it but I don't see that happening, so it may be better to just improve the CC. Dev team's in a bind on this one, I think! ;)

-P.E.
In what world is Auto dress/undress going to help this game? That is literally the worst idea I've ever heard and have seen someone else mention it as well. It's bad enough it's allowed in EC to have it on the client everyone plays it would get exploited like crazy in pvp a stupid idea.

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
My list:
  • Resize game window, obviously mostly zoom. A little bit of more game field visibility would be nice.
  • HP bar pops up automatically on attack at some defined location when targeting/fighting.
  • Spellbar slots that you can lock.
  • Chat tabs with background that you can set transparency & color of.
  • Proper char history / journal revamp with separation of message types (skills, stats/system/guild etc.)

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fair enough, that is a possibility. But I think if any real weight was involved in that idea, we would have heard a more formal announcement from the devs. That would be pretty big news, ... t
When they formally announce something the haters go ape bananas, they may just have it on a back burner and slide it in to a future publish to reduce the amount of garbage they'll have slung their way.

It's really surprising they even read and post here considering all the b.s. they get when they do. Kyronix may just have an ungodly bull tolerance and that's why he's the one who usually posts here.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In what world is Auto dress/undress going to help this game? That is literally the worst idea I've ever heard and have seen someone else mention it as well. It's bad enough it's allowed in EC to have it on the client everyone plays it would get exploited like crazy in pvp a stupid idea.
Well the question was what would *I* like to see in the CC, so I answered. Contrary to popular belief not everyone's world revolves around PvP and the thing that bugged me a LOT about the CC was every time I died it would take me a lot of clicks to get dressed to make a run for my corpse. Clicking one icon is a very nice thing to have. So, in my world, auto dress helps the game. The EC users in our guild are extremely happy with it as well.

Pvper's can agree or disagree and it may very well be that it's not a good idea for PvP or that some restrictions on its use (like only used within a set time limit of a resurrection, for example) need to be implemented but it *is* a useful feature IMHO. I'm not a pvp'er so it's not my place to try to interpret what auto dress would do to pvp tactics. This is one of those things that the dev team would have to balance as in many cases what's good for pvp isn't good for non pvp and vice versa.

-P.E.

randy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yeah lets make make everyone be able to change skills on the run in pvp so you don't have to hit the same macro 5 times while you run to your corpse.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will believe this when a formal announcement is forth coming....
If wishes were made true ...yes I would like the screen size adjustable, lighter internals for the backpacks, and the ability to switch characters on the same account/shard without the need to do a full re login.
Auto loot would be lovely but will have its down side... can you imagine the junk you will pick up??

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want to push this point. Why recreate the wheel? Third party programs are doing all these things and more.
One of them did have a instant recalling out of fel issue using the help menu that was corrected by UO. It was actually a problem with UO not with the program.

They're extremely useful and helpful in so many things.

This was one of the reasons we needed to lighten up with regards to Stratics. We should be able too talk about this.

Yes, the program I'm thinking of does have a much more effective macro system then what could be made in game at present.
That is a good feature not a negative.

Why put time an effort into something that already exists and works very nicely?

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In what world is Auto dress/undress going to help this game?.
In a world that has computers that does the monotony for you?

Edit:
I'm sorry. was your statement meant as a joke? I'm slow sometimes.

Last edited:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I want to push this point. Why recreate the wheel? Third party programs are doing all these things and more.
One of them did have a instant recalling out of fel issue using the help menu that was corrected by UO. It was actually a problem with UO not with the program.

This was one of the reasons we needed to lighten up with regards to Stratics. We should be able too talk about this.

Yes, the program I'm thinking of does have a much more effective macro system then what could be made in game at present.

Why put time an effort into something that already exists and works very nicely?

This.

They put out an EC that the players can mod to suit themselves, with way more features than the CC has.

But then won't let a CC player use 3rd party progs (legally) to have the same ease of operation... They biggest update would be to take the shackles off of the 3rd partiers, and let us play.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You can not name the names of illegal programs here. Sorry, as much as you try to stealth around the issue there is a no tolerance rule.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can not name the names of illegal programs here. Sorry, as much as you try to stealth around the issue there is a no tolerance rule.
i didn't use any names. But you just did and one that I wasn't even thinking of.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another thought with 3rd party software, how many would have malware added into them the moment they became legal to use?

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another thought with 3rd party software, how many would have malware added into them the moment they became legal to use?
Fear is no way to live.

Even Microsoft has given out malware. Adobe flash player still has a nasty problem they can't seem to shake.
I had to uninstall Adobe flash player because of their problems they been having.

Sh&t happens.

Personally, i would love to be able to openly talk about these issues.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i didn't use any names. But you just did and one that I wasn't even thinking of.
I don't really know what third party programs your are speaking of. Just seems like your trying to blow some steam off with your comments :)

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't really know what third party programs your are speaking of. Just seems like your trying to blow some steam off with your comments :)
not at all. I just don't like the idea of reinventing the wheel.
it's counter productive.

These things are already in operation and took a long time to sort out the bugs. They work fine.

Ellie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Can the jail cells be opened for those who dont gate to get to the new lands? Please, pretty please. Both sides are locked and no one is there.

Melchior1

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

So in this thread I would like to collect everyone's ideas on upgrades they would like in the 2D client. Note: this GM mentioned no promises can be made, but that they are looking into it. And game window size enlargement is one of the things they would add when upgrading the 2D client.
Weapons hotkeys that switch weapons at a blazing speed

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ability to see overweight or current weight numbers while still seeing your own health bars.
or even a green to red bar added to the health bars

Zeph Wightfyre

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it does happen, mostly I just want it to work well and not be swarmed with bugs. Keep it simple, don't add too much, and please do some rigorous testing before releasing it.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This.

They put out an EC that the players can mod to suit themselves, with way more features than the CC has.

But then won't let a CC player use 3rd party progs (legally) to have the same ease of operation... They biggest update would be to take the shackles off of the 3rd partiers, and let us play.
Again: EC has restrictions on how far mods can go. Those restrictions can be controlled by the dev team. 3rd party programs for CC have no restrictions on what you can do. Devs have no control over them. Many CC users just don't want to realize that, as it does not fit their arguing.

But that's why they rather look into it themselfs instead of allowing things that already exist ;)

I personally wouldn't mind making them legal, as people use them unpunished anyways all day. The cheat-client is what it is. But I also got to know a bit about Mesanna's style of reasoning. :D

Last edited:

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I am sorry, I cant help it -

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Party / Pets bar / box
Hot Keys
auto loot gold
separate chat windows

Chanel #1

Adventurer
Really, I just want an expanded game window. Sometimes I have to squint to see the little text.
Anything else would be icing. ;)

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
short list:
not just a larger play window, ability to adjust said play window.

do NOT resize the graphics!!!

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The only change I would make to the CC is to add additional size options (larger) for the play window. My monitor size increased tremendously since this game started. I would liked take advantage of my screen's size for gameplay.

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
short list:
not just a larger play window, ability to adjust said play window.

do NOT resize the graphics!!!
So, you would still like your character to be the size of your thumb, instead of taking up a decent proportion of the screen? That doesn't solve the problem we have now, where everything is ridiculously tiny.

I mean, they could just reintroduce UOKR and I'd be happy with that. ;)

Phantasmagorian

Seasoned Veteran
We need zoom + screen resize. Without zoom everything remains tiny. There are some filtering algorithms they can use to smooth the graphics. On my 1080p screen I simply switch to 1280x720 to have a properly sized screen, and the graphics look fine .

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I could bring up that old "how to fix graphics to look better in the CC" topic... but I really don't feel like scouring through all of Stratics for that material. Have better things to do (like eat, go fight with my SCA buddies, play some UO).

Status
Not open for further replies.