• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO 2d client and laptops?

Antmf712

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can UO 2D client be run on a so so laptop? If so can you tell me what ones you guys run it on and how much it will cost me? I dont want to spend a lot so if there is a laptop that can run it that wont be to expensive let me know. Thanks...

B

Beer_Cayse

Systems I have run it on:
Micron P200 with 32MB video (later 128 MB video), 512MB system RAM
Homebrew AMD Duron 750 mhz, 512 MB system RAM, 128 MB video

I think these should give you a good idea if the laptop will hold up.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I just bought a acer with two 1.6 processors 300 gig hard drive 3 gig of ram and high def
for 400 dollars and it runs the 2d and enhanced client great...

B

Beer_Cayse

laptop? nice price if so. I only gave the OP the 2 smallest desk systems I've ever used with UO as an example. most of the so-so (as OP notes) laptops of today are better than that, IMO.

wish I could use the company laptop for UO when I'm on trips, but if I get caught with it on the system, I could get "disciplined" up to termination. Ain't worth the risk.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I run on a 2year old toshiba Satellite p205d, Its an AMD Turion X2 at 1.86ghz, the thing is all jacked up and slow from to much crap but it runs UO like a beauty!

I sometimes lag during pvp fests, but thats probobly due more to using free internet from someone in the neighborhood than the computer itself.

I bought my laptop for 900 2 years ago, its only worth about 350 now.

Craigslist is a good spot to start. Can get some laptops that if you just want to run UO you will only need to spend 200-300 bucks. And thats probobly overkill.

Also with Xmas coming and New Years, theres going to be ALL sorts of sales running on those days. Might hold out for that. I know I will be gettign a new Laptop or Desktop on one of those days (Xmas Eve, or New Years)

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to know if people are playing UO reliably on netbooks. I have seen a few netbooks around $200 and would love to buy one for UO if it will run smoothly enough to actually play.

L

Llwyd

I would like to know if people are playing UO reliably on netbooks. I have seen a few netbooks around $200 and would love to buy one for UO if it will run smoothly enough to actually play.
I'd like to know, too... would be nice to be able to play while I'm absent from the home hearth.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the classic client is so old, it would probably run on a wrist watch nowadays. Or maybe on a fridge! There are fridges with screens :D

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always play on my laptop, an AMD Turion X2 2 GHz which I got for €500.

I have no problems with the classic client and few problems with the enhanced client (all are already reported bugs).

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use the 2D Client as a backup on my laptop (I usually play Enhanced Client). The Enhanced Client won't work on that laptop. My laptop is 4 years old and cost about $400 at that time. I upgraded it to 2GB of memory though, but not because of UO.
I think you will have no problem running the Legacy Client on cheap laptops.