• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Unreasonable Lag/Stuttering/Freezing During Typical UO Activity

• Thread starter LisbethsConscience
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
L

LisbethsConscience

Hey-ho! First off, thanks for taking the time to click this forum post. NO GOING BACK, NOW YOU HAVE TO HELP. (But seriously, thank you.) I apologise for the incoming influx of information, but I'm hoping to give as many details as possible to avoid having to answer questions I could have cleared up here.

My husband and I (who actually met in UO many moons ago) have just started playing again after a few years away. (Like any good addicts, we still had our accounts active.) Unfortunately, while my PC (of a similar make and age to his) generally runs the game with no issues, his seems violently opposed to running UO (with EITHER client) with any sort of reliability. During gameplay he seems to get an unreasonable amount of lag, stuttering, and freezing, and not even at times I would consider to be high stress on the CPU; IE, just running through the forest seems to make it chug.

The best example would be last night's event with EM Bennu on Atlantic, however; during an admittedly clustered scene full of players, pets, enemies, and particle effects I myself suffered a few jitters and bits of lag (especially when the explosions went off) but my husband's computer frequently just ground to a halt and UO needed to be restarted after killing it via the Task Manager.

Needless to say, there's not much he can do in game with the client as laggy and stuttery as it is. (Again, this is both enhanced AND 2D, although 2D to a lesser degree). Hunting is basically out of the question, and in general it's kind of a downer to have your framerate slow to a crawl just wandering around.

Specs!
Windows XP
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, MMX, 3DNow (2CPUSs)
3 GIG Ram
ATI Radeon HD 4670 512 MB

Here is what I have already done:

1) Scan for malware/spyware/adware/viruses with various programs, all negative
2) Ran chkdsk and let it fix any errors
3) Ran CCleaner, cleaned registry errors
4) Defrag with Deep Optimisation (Smartdefrag from IObit)
5) Bench tested/stress tested graphics card, no issues
6) Disabled all unnecessary background processes
7) Ran Advanced System Care 3 (Advanced SystemCare Free Download Review for Windows XP/Vista/7 - IObit) let it clean and do its thing on everything
8) Tried with client priority set to HIGH, and affinity set to 0
9) Tried playing his client only to see if running the client on both of our PCs was causing it to be throttled... no love there, Dr Jones.
10) Made sure case was not dusty via application of compressed air
11) Installed MSI Afterburner and manually set the fan speed
12) Sacrificed goat. ... okay, I carved a goat out of butter and let it melt because I can't stand violence, but that STILL COUNTS.
13) Checked PC against a bunch of titles on System Requirements Lab

Things that appeared to help at least a little:
Setting the affinity/priority, manually setting the fan speed to about 70. It made an appreciable difference, but still not to the degree where you'd feel comfortable in your ability to book it safely after mooning an Ancient Wyrm.

Any suggestions? Like, at all? We would really appreciate it. This is kind of turning into a massive headache for us both. If you can help at all, you would make us go from this: :( to this!: :D

Thanks for your time and your patience. If you even read all that, you win +100 internets just for being an awesome dude/dudette. Please let me know if I need to provide any further information. I'm trying to get this sorted for my husband while he's at work so he can have a leisurely evening of shooting arrows into other things' faces.