• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

unicorn vs nightmare

G

I am having problems taming a mare. My skill is plenty high enough (115 with jewls). The problem I am having is my White Wyrm kills the mare too fast and by the time I can give follow me command Mare is dead. My unicorn attacks everything with negative karma so if I take it I cant get to mare. I am taming in Mallas I think (been away from game for 5 yrs) there are fire elementals gouls reapers etc and all trees are black and there are stars where sea would be. Is there a better place for me to tame a mare, and will my Unicorn be able to beat it down for me to tame it. And will it stop for me to tame it since the Uni naturally attacks things with negative karma. I want to tame a mare ilo of buying one any help would be appreciated.

G

First off ...

What other skills are on your tamer?

As in is he or she a mage tamer? EI, Magery, Med along with the taming skills.. or a bard tamer, music, peace/provo/disco?

As for better places to tame... yep there are three better places... one is in Ilsh..one is in the park located in the felucca Wind and one is located in Covetous Level 2 in felucca...

http://uo.stratics.com/database/view.php?db_content=hunters&id=248

If you have not tried it yet.. Lead Taming is a skill you really need to get a handle on...

As you know or have done you have one macro set up for taming... aka Use skill - taming.. push the macro and you get a target cursor..

In Lead Taming you set up a second taming macro..

In the first box (2D client) use skill - taming
In the second box .. Last Target..

After using the first taming macro which markes the critter as the last target you use the second macro and walk in front of the critter.. in this case the Nightmare... just hold the marco down until you get the "you begin to tame" system message and then let go of the macro and keep walking in front of the critter within a couple of tiles..

Next thing you should do is have a suit that has the highest resists in the mares damage...

Have the cure spell and heal spells on a macro to do fast heals and cures while leading the beast (if mage) and if not a mage pots and petals...

Practice the lead taming on smaller critters till you get a hang of how far you need to be and in staying just out of phys contact

One can lead tame mares without first beating them down once one is compfy with healing and curing while doing it... if a mage you can cast Blade Spirits or EVs and just disspell them just before the mare is redline and if a peace bard just bloody peace the bugger....

If your set on using a Uni to beat it down first, just hop back on it when your getting close to snuffing the mare....

G

My tamer is female with 110 mageery, 100 eval, 100 med, 83 resist, 115 taming with jewls, 102 animal lore, and 92 vet. I tried lead taming but get killed every time. I have not played ultima since 2002 and though I had tamer on my acct he never got high enough to tame a mare. I mainly played pvp and did not use pots so it is hard for me to get used to using them. where are the other place u mentioned in felucia near. I guess I need to do alot of research since UO has changed a good bit since I left. When I left you just had resist not specilized resist. Im not sure which creatures poison you and which shoot fireballs at you.

A

Al Thorin

If your goal is to simply beat the mare down so it's slower for a lead tame, I would just use EV's, cast one, precast mass dispel, then target the EV when the mare's redlined.

You may have to try a couple times if the mare dispels, alternatly, you could let it follow you around casting to lower it's mana.

I

imported_Mark Trail

IMO your current taming location near Umbra is best. Easiest to get a rez when you die and no PK's to watch out for. Looks to me like you will ahve to lead it out of the evil dead forest to avoid the other monsters then lead as the other posts said.

I

imported_GFY

Sounds to me like you need to tweek your current stratagy just a bit to get it down.

Attacking with your uni should be fine to slow down the mare and use up its mana. Once this is done say, "all stop" a few times and re-mount your unicorn. You should then be able to lead tame the mare without too much trouble. Just keep walking about 2 squares ahead of it while your taming. If your mare heals up too much or regains some mana, cast a few spells to beat it back down.

I

imported_Hinotori

I'll post the recommendation that if you need to practice lead taming an angerable creature and not worry about dying, just to get the lead taming practice in, use a swamp dragon. They don't hit very hard and are angerable.

My method to tame mares if I'm not there with a peace/tamer, is to attack it with a ridable like a unicorn or another mare until it is just above redlined then mount up. Then I lead tame. It does take practice to get a feel for where you need to stay.

J

JoyousGard

As a wimpy mage-tamer, I use my well trained (90s in fighting, 80s in magic) Unicorn to beat down the mare.

1.) Ride unicorn to where the mare is, get off Unicorn, and attack mare with Unicorn
2.) Make sure the mare targets your unicorn and not you.
3.) Heal unicorn while the battle unfolds
4.) I beat the mare down pretty darn far.
5.) Jump on unicorn (The mare will lose its attack target and just heal or walk around)
6.) Before mare targets you, spam your tame macro and work through the anger (always spamming tame from 1-2 tiles away - out of reach)
7.) Once the taming begins, stay 4-5 tiles away and take your punishment (heal), or follow the beast as necessary
8.) Pray that you successfully tame the animal, or start the process over
9.) IF he is really casting some hardcore stuff at you, run far away and hide
10.) Run back and start taming or beat him down according to what you are comfortable with.

Edit: side note [Tamed karma animals do not use karma to determine targets, i.e. they either get attacked and respond or you send them to attack]
other side note [Pets are lousy listeners when in battle mode, so beat downs on potential pets are best carried out by pets that you can ride to stop the beating]

G

Thanks to all for your input. I went to wind (felucia) yesterday found mare beat down with my Unicorn and then attempted to tame. Failed the first time then mare regained stamina anf promply killed me. As I stated I mainly played PVP back in the day and Potions were for newbies. I have found out that if I am gonna have sucess with Tamer i should learn to use potions. Is peacemaking a easy skill to gm, and should I drop resist for peacemaking.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There's a good thread here, with good information on the different methods of taming. That might give you some ideas about what you need to do with your character skills and equipment. There are also lots of threads with advice on templates, I would do a search for something like "+template +skills". Make sure you set the search for at least a year back.

G

if you dont mind sharing, what shard do you play on? If not I then maybe someone else here that may be on your shard could give you a hand in gettting the swing of lead taming

G

well that leaves me out.. on LS...

hope someone from atlantic sees this....

J

joblackjon

Re Peace...

Both of my Tamers have Peace, Provo, Disco, Music and Magery available to them thru SoulStones and they are "customized" for the occaision.

Peace is great for taming and okay for general crowd control.
Provo...I have not found Provo to be useful for a tamer, yet.
Disco...incredible! At 120, it reduces the target's skills and resists by 28%.
Magery...to gate non-rideables to the stable.

Peace and Music are extremely easy to build. Just area Peace for a couple days.

Disco and Provo may be the 2 hardest skills to gain, at least for me! And Provo is the hardest because you always 2 creatures. Angering 2 Drags at the same time can hurt!