• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Unexpected Result Crossing Purple and Green Spider Trees

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On Origin, I crossed a purple spider tree and a green spider tree, expecting to get blue spider tree seeds. When I pulled the first seeds off them today and dropped them in the seed box, what it looks like I got instead was blue cactus seeds. (I dropped them in the seed box, expecting them to show up as a new type of seed in the box, and instead what seemed to happen is the number of blue cactus seeds I already had went up by 2. They were the only blue seeds that had an increase in their quantity, so that's my best guess as to what happened.)

Has anyone else run into this yet?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grrr. Just checked some crossing efforts on Siege and found that crossing two purple spider trees gives you bright purple cactus seeds. Same for crossing orange and green spider trees--you just get bright versions of cactus seeds, not bright versions of the spider tree seeds.

Probably old news.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
plant the bright cactus and cross them to get bright spider trees.
I've been trying to get coloured vanilla, but I'm not very good at crossing plants and haven't had any success.
I do have bright red, bright orange and bright blue spider trees though :D

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
plant the bright cactus and cross them to get bright spider trees.
I've been trying to get coloured vanilla, but I'm not very good at crossing plants and haven't had any success.
I do have bright red, bright orange and bright blue spider trees though :D

I think you get bright bonsai when you cross bright cactus. (I got bright yellow bonsai seeds from crossing yellow tribarrel and bright yellow cactus on Siege.) I'm so confused at this point! LOL

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh. That's where I got the bonzai from :D

I'm not sure it's consistent. I'll try to keep better track. For some reason I haven't been able to get hold of any kind of cactus but 'a cactus'.

Little Magnolia LS

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Hello folks :)
This topic seems to be current enough for me to respond to it. Please forgive if you found the answer already but someone might find this info helpful when it comes to plants of all types and all colors and how to get them.
http://uo2.stratics.com/skill-guides/skills-and-professions/gardening-essay/colored-plant-oddities

Now, it means you need to break out the old original plants, besides the campions and poppies, you can leave those out of your garden for the moment. So grow snowdrops all the way to the 3 original cacti. Being Prickly pear, Single Barrel and Tri barrel. That is a total of 15 plants if you do one color only at a time. Cactus plant with the flower on it is in the peculiar family which will give you the hops and spider trees when crossed together. The flower cactus that is. NOT the others.
To get colored bonsai you have to cross the colored OLD Plants besides the campions and poppies. Grow snowdrops through tribarrel and cross with the spider tree color of your choice and you will get all your types and colors of the bonsai plants if you do it this way. You can cross hops and the flower cactus too, BUT to get ALL the different colors and types of colored bonsai's the easiest way is just use all the colors of the spider tree in pots and grow each color of the old plant system and cross each to get the color you want. You get chance of mutant bonsai doing this so you might want to grow at least 2 of each type in the color you are working on at that time. You cannot use bonsai to cut up for dyes. But you could plant your mutant bonsai out in New Magincia and have your name on one of the rarest mutant plants in game. If that floats your boat.
Colored Vanilla is only obtained by crossing the 3 original cacti. Prickly pear, Single Barrel and Tri barrel cactus. And then it's random if you get a colored vanilla seed from crossed pollenated cactus plants and you will not know until you pull that first seed off and ID it. I got the best results from crossing Pear with tri barrel but thats just something I thought I got the best results from and I cant prove it, but it just seemed that it gave me more vanilla seeds sooner. I am on LS and if you are on LS and you are interested in any types or colors and ways to obtain, stop by the north entrance shop with the gold robed vendors called Gold Dust Shoppe & Lounge. The 2nd floor has all the plants, dyes, and seeds and vines. Anything plant related I shoved up there. I don't mind explaining anything to do with plants in UO. It keeps me busy and people really like the end product to spruce up their homes!
I still play to put smiles on others faces. Jokes are a good way too! I love a good joke!
I am on Alaska time. I live in Wasilla, Alaska. This means I am on LS at server up mainly and late at night... Just ask for Mags in general and if that doesn't get you results, stop by the shop and let me know when you will be around on the message board or in a book and drop it in the mailbox at the Gold Dust Shoppe. Its right at the north entrance of Luna square... gothic style... facing south. It's the best way I can navigate you to me on LS.

http://uo2.stratics.com/skill-guides/skills-and-professions/gardening-essay/colored-plant-oddities+

*waves*
Keep on KEEP ON a PLANTING! *dances off screen* :danceb:

Last edited: