• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Unable to edit ChatWindow.xml

Nalif

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm probably doing something wrong, but for some reason, no matter what I change in ChatWindow.xml, nothing changes...I've even tried erasing the file contents and putting nothing but gibberish, but chat still loads and works fine! The file I'm working on is:

..\UO_ChatWindow\Source\ChatWindow.xml

Is this the right file to edit for the chat window? And if so, why does chat still work if I erase it's contents and save it?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the folder UO_ChatWindow is a fake, the client doesn't use it. The right one is integrated on the client :(

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nope :(

you can only edit the default window object style but not re-do the window...

Nalif

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well that's annoying. I was almost done setting up my skin, and left this as one of the last things to re-work...I guess I'll have to leave that on it's own image...

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Has this been fixed in the last 3 years? It would be nice to be able to mod that chat window without being pigeonholed into the existing ui elements...

I see there is a NewChatWindow.xml - is that going to be implemented soon?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has this been fixed in the last 3 years? It would be nice to be able to mod that chat window without being pigeonholed into the existing ui elements...

I see there is a NewChatWindow.xml - is that going to be implemented soon?
the chatwindow still a fake script, the whole system is hardcoded inside the client. The new chat is the one that I designed on my UI, but it will never work on the default window due to a... let's call it... "philosophical" problem.
Basically it requires a way to save things that the devs don't like and so the new chat is a dead end (at least on the default UI).

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I run a little check on the UI update loop and remove the default ChatWindow as soon as possible:
Code:
    if ChatWindow ~= nil then
        WindowUnregisterEventHandler("ChatWindow", SystemData.Events.CHAT_ENTER_START)
        WindowUnregisterEventHandler("ChatWindow", SystemData.Events.TEXT_ARRIVED)
        LogDisplayRemoveLog("ChatWindowChatLogDisplay", "Chat")
        DestroyWindow("ChatWindow")
        DestroyWindow("ChatWindowInputTextButton")

Interface.FixedChat = true
    end
From there on you are free to build a new chat window by hooking those two events (CHAT_ENTER_START and TEXT_ARRIVED) yourself.

Attachments

Last edited:

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I run a little check on the UI update loop and remove the default ChatWindow as soon as possible:

From there on you are free to build a new chat window by hooking those two events (CHAT_ENTER_START and TEXT_ARRIVED) yourself.
That's a good workaround. Thank you!