• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ultima will NEVER die!

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow.

If you go to www.ign.com right now and check out the PC games... look what is in 5th place for most popular:

http://i35.***********/21mx6c0.jpg

o_O

At first I got excited that there might be a remake or re-release, but no... it's the original version.

Felonious Monk

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was a benchmark game in tech and THE most Immersive game possible of all time.
It is the foundation of the virtue system.
Best of all you had to have a brain to complete it.
We had MANY pages of notes to refer to because it absolutely required an archive to track.
Name?
Job ?
Health?
Those questions gave you everything you needed.
The cities, the dungeons and the shrine system complete with mantras were the base of the game we now play.
Thank you Richard Garriott!

T

T_Amon_from_work

yuppers ... I have them all and that one was especially nice.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to agree that U4 is my favorite of the series too.

I started the Ultima series with U4. Watched my buddy play it on his Apple II and found it an immensely captivating game. It's other competitor was Bard's Tale at that time, and U4 beats it hands down.

It's not your average just kill monsters and save the world kind of game. You actually had to work on being a shining paragon of the virtues - an Avatar.

It took me the longest time to figure out how to answer the gypsy's quesions to become a class other than a Bard (looks like I'm a compassionate person at heart).

So many things I loved about it, the virtues, the dungeons, the puzzles/hidden doors, figuring out that you only need to type the first 4 chars of a word when you talk to npcs, figuring out how the moongates worked, finding my way to yew from the moongate by using the river (forests blocks your vision to only 1 tile), searching for mandrake root/nightshade in special spots, ships/cannons/pirates, hot air ballon :D

I also think that the way each character on the keyboard correspond to an action and spell a very novel idea. If fact, that's how I setup my macros - alt T to tame, ctrl T for teleport, alt M to med, ctrl M for mindblast etc...

On yeah, weapon I loved most was the magic axe! (it's U4 version of an axe of returning)

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ultima might never die. Ultima Online.. Now that's a different story. :hahaha:

E

Evilminion

Ultima IV is the game that very nearly caused me to fail a whole semester of college classes. :D It was so HARD to go to class when I could just stay in my room and plaaaaaaaay!

I also have this recollection that you couldn't save during the final dungeon... I seem to remember leaving the computer on for about three days straight. AND then doing it again because I botched the question on the first try... :blushing:

Ahhhh, good times. Good times. :heart:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ultima might never die. Ultima Online.. Now that's a different story. :hahaha:

LOL...and i really mean LOL!!

I realy cant see why any of u folks think for one minute GAMES like wow have been more popular than uo... ..

Please dont come out with the wow as got 11 million players scandal

Im kinda guessing if uo had counted=added every trial account ever made and every paid account ever made and every japan multi-game shared/internet cafe account then uo would be well above this number too!!!!!!!!!!!

ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE IS IT!!

D

Dicimiie

Ultima IV had me so enthralled that I actually got a pad of graph paper and mapped the entire thing out, square by square. If memory serves correctly, it was in excess of 70 pages, which I taped together into one very large map.

I also spent days gathering every raegent I could in order to have 99 of every possible spell before entering the final dungeon.

I just realized how geeky that sounds. /sigh

C

Connor_Graham

I guess I'm the only person playing UO that never heard of Ultima before a friend told me about UO.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ULTIMA paved the way for ''all'' the olde computer/console rpgs....

UO paved the way for ''all'' online multiplayer games,,,,,

Kinda nuff said yes....

S

ShadowJack

"Quest of the Avatar".....

I never did have any of my virtues once I got the skull that would kill all enemies as soon as you used it.

I think I was in what like 3rd grade when that came out, awesomus

E

Eslake

I realy cant see why any of u folks think for one minute GAMES like wow have been more popular than uo... ..

Im kinda guessing if uo had counted=added every trial account ever made and every paid account ever made and every japan multi-game shared/internet cafe account then uo would be well above this number too!!!!!!!!!!!

ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE IS IT!!
I hate to rain on your love of UO, and I don't feel WoW is a superior game in and of itself, but you are so far off mark with this it is rediculous.

Even IF WoW had exactly as many subscribers as UO, and over its life had had the same number as UO has had in its life, it has done so in less than 1/2 the time.

But those aren't correct anyway. On WoW as with UO there are seperate servers(shards) to play on, and various lands to explore. But while on UO you can roam the majority of the lands and never see another player other than at Luna or an active Champ spawn, on WoW nearly everywhere you go you are competing with numerous others for kills or resources.
(and there is far more area on a WoW server than a UO shard)

Is WoW a better game? Not at all.
But it covers the 2 most important factors to success. Gaining players, and Keeping players.
Gaining - Graphics and easy to learn to play.
Keeping - Customer Service.

Unless you page on something rediculously simple like "What does a yellow ! mean?" you don't get a canned responce. An actual GM opens a dialog with you until the problem is resolved. And you don't page on Tuesday and get a responce on Thursday like in UO. On WoW it is rare to wait more than 1 hour for a responce even at peek hours.

As to the Topic. I loved to single player Ultima games myself, tho I never could figure out what I was supposed to be doing on Pegan. :p

But they have said they don't feel the players really want Ultima in UO any more. Sadly I suspect they're right. Most of what people cling to in UO has nothing to do with the Ultima series. :(

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You were spewing this idiotic conspiracy theory in a previous thread until a couple of us posted some facts and chased you away. I'll do it again here. I don't even like WoW, but I hate stupidity.

* Blizzard reports exactly how it's figures are derived in every press release, and they do not include free trials or inactive accounts.

* Blizzard is part of Vivendi, a publicly traded company, and is required to release accounting and investment reports. The billion-plus dollars of income WoW generates yearly isn't the sort of thing that's easily faked.

* Blizzard doesn't report WoW box sales, software retailers do, and they have reported millions and millions of sales. It's been in the top ten weekly bestsellers for years.

* As of the end of last month, THREE of the top ten weekly bestsellers were ALL World of Warcraft. (The original, the expansion, and the dual pack.) Explain this.

* In order for WoW to NOT be orders of magnitude more popular than any other MMO, about 95% of all those boxes sold would have to be thrown away unopened.

L

linko50

Ultima IV is the game that very nearly caused me to fail a whole semester of college classes. :D It was so HARD to go to class when I could just stay in my room and plaaaaaaaay!

Ahhhh, good times. Good times. :heart:

That isnt funny, when i was in college, Ultima Online did cause me to drop like 2 classes because i couldnt break away....... Ah tis but a shadow of those days..... this is truly the age of shadows....

D

Dicimiie

Was it Ultima IV or V that had the glass swords that would kill anything in one hit? It's been so long, I don't remember anymore.

T

T_Amon_from_work

<snicker> I started with U1 on an Atari 800! Got thru U3 on that before I hit the world of PCs, lost track of Ultima completely for years.

When EA offered it several years back, I bought the Dragon Edition ... all major Ultima releases and Akalabeth plus some in-box goodies. <shrug>

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was it Ultima IV or V that had the glass swords that would kill anything in one hit? It's been so long, I don't remember anymore.
Both U4 and 5 had glass swords. U5 had spiked shield, spiked helm, morning star etc. If euipped that way, you can attack with all 3 each turn. I would equip magic axe (ranged weapon) in 1 hand, morning start (ranged weapon - 3 tile) in offhand, and a spiked helm (melee).

U

ultima online

FF VII not in the list? why not so? recognised by many as the best rpg ever.
the list is only generated by what people have been searching for on that website at that time, bit like with amazon giving recommendation to you based on what popular at that very moment. so its just people looking up info about it and not sales figures :)

Mina_Lino

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Ultima won't...but Ultima Online...is a diffirent game.

And UO has been living for more then a decenia now...wich is quite long for ANY online game.
+ it depends on the amount of subsribers..if it's still profitable or not.

And the population is decreasing...

I would love to see a mix of UO and WoW....

-Mina-

I

Ifful

Ultima IV... one of my favorite RPGs of all time. But I wonder how I'd feel if I were to play it now. Often the memory outshines the reality.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess I'm the only person playing UO that never heard of Ultima before a friend told me about UO.
u can throw me in that boat too, the only non online uo game i tried was ultima IX which was included with one of the expansions... didn't care for it too much

E

Eslake

You want generic fantasy graphics?
I dunno.
When I see a skimpily clad night elf woman dancing like Alizee, "Generic" isn't what goes through my mind. :lick:

If they ever actually made a game that was absolutely a combination of the two, I would hurt people to be the first subscriber.

UO's gameplay and skills systems with WoW's graphics and Customer Service.. heck yes I would play it!

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm still politely waiting for THP's no doubt thoughtful and intelligent reply to my rebuttal of his theory.

Lucy of Kenton

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WoW is kinda a compelling game and has good graphics, no lag, online support but i fear not the longevity of uo but i guess it may still be around in 9 years time with people saying its dying.
i wouldnt have left uo voluntarily but now having seen what is happening now and seeing other mmorpg's its eye opening.
im still a noob in WoW but i will happily help any uo'ers that come to WoW.
im not surprisingly Lucyofkenton so whisper me

Silly Seadog

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Arrrr, whack that landlubber Hogger upside the head for me when ye gets a chance!