• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Ultima Online Newsletter

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix in the past (think it was called a power up service?) They also gave engraved scrolls with the date and time and location-invitations as it were.

And also blessed rings to bride and groom engraved per the couples requests.

Will these also be a part of the package?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix in the past (think it was called a power up service?) They also gave engraved scrolls with the date and time and location-invitations as it were.

And also blessed rings to bride and groom engraved per the couples requests.

Will these also be a part of the package?
You will continue to get rings from the currently available method of getting wedding rings, not in the package. There are no invitations in the package, since that can be accomplished with current in game methods (books).

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You will continue to get rings from the currently available method of getting wedding rings, not in the package. There are no invitations in the package, since that can be accomplished with current in game methods (books).
Books aren't as nice... I still have my lovely wedding certificate that I treasure... and I'm sure many others do too... also I still have invitations from old friends long gone. These things were special and well... appreciated. While I know it had to be done by a GM at the time (still remember that and the name change that also came with it)... I certainly don't think it'd be that hard to whip up something like the Valentines cards that you could target groom/target bride and then add date/time/place to.

"You are cordially invited to the wedding of ______ and ______ at ______ on the _______ day of ______ at _______ oclock."
"______ and ______ request your presence at their wedding to be held on the _______ day of ________ at ______ oclock at _________."
"Let it be known that ______ and ______ plan to be wed _______ at ______ on the _______ day of _______ at ________ O'Clock."

Or some such jazz... anyway it's not that difficult I would think.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Won't make me go back to the CC, but yeah, give them grid containers with an option to toggle that on and off AND give them auto dress macros.
And a better map too. They should be able to enjoy some of the nice fun toys we EC users have without having to rely on third party software.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The CC game window looks great.
I was hoping to see an option to switch to grid style containers in CC. Could this be added in future pubs @Kyronix ?
Won't make me go back to the CC, but yeah, give them grid containers with an option to toggle that on and off AND give them auto dress macros.
And a better map too. They should be able to enjoy some of the nice fun toys we EC users have without having to rely on third party software.
Why can't we just have CC Graphics with the ECUI now that they are making the display larger.
Those are two completely different pieces of software! You can' just cut/copy functionality from one and paste it into the other one, that's not how it is working.
They had a good reason, why they didn't put LUA support into the CC, or rewrite the CC macro system or add functionality to the inventory/bag-system or whatever else.
Instead they opted for writing a new client from scratch! (Multiple times unfortunately, though)
If you write software without being extensible for future features or completely modular in the first place, you're opening a can of worms every time you touch it. That's especially true for a 20+ year old code base, when even noone of the original coders are around anymore.
If they would really add all those features, nothing would be left of the CC. And it would be probably even more bug ridden than the EC. At least then you could pancake about two clients...

Pretty sure the size change was just a bone thrown. Don't bet on slot of changes coming up
Exactly!

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Those are two completely different pieces of software! You can' just cut/copy functionality from one and paste it into the other one, that's not how it is working.
They had a good reason, why they didn't put LUA support into the CC, or rewrite the CC macro system or add functionality to the inventory/bag-system or whatever else.
Instead they opted for writing a new client from scratch! (Multiple times unfortunately, though)
If you write software without being extensible for future features or completely modular in the first place, you're opening a can of worms every time you touch it. That's especially true for a 20+ year old code base, when even noone of the original coders are around anymore.
If they would really add all those features, nothing would be left of the CC. And it would be probably even more bug ridden than the EC. At least then you could ***** about two clients...
I am well aware of the implications that implementing those will have. Software development and engineering has been my job for the last 18 years. I know this madness well. :p
It won't be copy paste, but even with the archaic, poorly documented C code they have at their hands for the CC, it would still be doable to code that from scratch. It would take a fair bit of time and cause @Bleak to go insane faster, and get his body hair grey way before than it should happen, but it is still possible.
And would make the CC user base happy. I am fine with that, even though I use EC myself and won't be turning back.

Last edited:

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It won't be copy paste, but even with the archaic, poorly documented C code they have at their hands for the CC, it would still be doable to code that from scratch. It would take a fair bit of time and cause @Bleak to go insane faster, and get his body hair grey way before than it should happen, but it is still possible.
Everything is possible. It just costs time, money and manpower. The real question is, if it is feasible, not just possible.

And would make the CC user base happy. I am fine with that, even though I use EC myself and won't be turning back.
That's my main issue with it. Spending a huge effort for just half of the player base. And it doesn't matter if that half are the CC players or the EC players. In neither case it would be recources spent good.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are we sure half the player base uses the EC?

Be interesting to see some real numbers on hours logged in EC vs CC...not propaganda, but real numbers

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Be interesting to see some real numbers on hours logged in EC vs CC...not propaganda, but real numbers
Pretty sure they know the exact number, since there's a file in every client now that tracks it. The cc is still here because they know exactly how many accounts are still using it, otherwise there's no way they would still be maintaining 2 separate ones.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If they would really add all those features, nothing would be left of the CC. And it would be probably even more bug ridden than the EC. At least then you could ***** about two clients...

Exactly!
You miss understand, let us pick CC with the EC not add all this stuff to the CCUI

Meltedmantis

Adventurer
"I don't use EC because it's bug ridden" "More CC features!"

Why is it these sentiments seem to come from the same people, and why do these people not realize these ideas are almost like circular logic? IMO the state of the EC is because of the "need" to continue tweaking and supporting the CC. It's a resource drain. a ugly, low frame, resource drain.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"I don't use EC because it's bug ridden" "More CC features!"

Why is it these sentiments seem to come from the same people, and why do these people not realize these ideas are almost like circular logic?
I personally do not want them playing with the CCUI because it tends to get broken when ever they try to "FIX" it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Mesanna said some time ago that it was about 50/50... they try to do polls here but IMO that is very inaccurate considering that much of the playerbase doesn't even use Stratics and of those that do even fewer post here and of those many are old timers who refuse to change. So the poll always comes out in favor of the CC... More and more folk switch to the EC all the time... very few go backwards (unless they learned that the true and serious script "cheats" are all written for the CC).

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You miss understand, let us pick CC with the EC not add all this stuff to the CCUI
So you want to use the EC but with CC graphics instead of EC graphics?
That should be doable in a timely manner. I'd be all in for it if that would make even more people switch...

But I doubt you would be happy, since the EC isn't built for pixel-perfect display. It is zooming/scaling everything. That's where all the ugly jagged edges are coming from, if the zoom isn't set to the correct value. Also items in the inventory can get blurry, because they get scaled. And even if your zoom is "perfect" you can see the seams, where the tiles connect every now and then. And it would be even worse, since the CC graphics are even more low res than the current EC. The EC would shine, if it would have high-res graphics, built for being scaled. But alas, we all know, that boat has sailed...

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm glad they're throwing a bone to CC users with the increased window size, but it's wishful thinking for folks to get their hopes up to suddenly get a bunch of other EC features in the CC client.

Same goes for EC. There is a lot of hay made out of the less desirable graphics in EC, but at the end of the day, neither client is giving us superior modern graphics. Having access to CC graphics in EC would be nice, but I don't think it's worth risking screwing up the EC client, or any limited developer resources for that matter.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm glad they're throwing a bone to CC users with the increased window size, but it's wishful thinking for folks to get their hopes up to suddenly get a bunch of other EC features in the CC client.

Same goes for EC. There is a lot of hay made out of the less desirable graphics in EC, but at the end of the day, neither client is giving us superior modern graphics. Having access to CC graphics in EC would be nice, but I don't think it's worth risking screwing up the EC client, or any limited developer resources for that matter.
%200 agree with DO NOT TOUCH THE CC Client but how could being able to pick which graphics break the EC. If I picK CC Graphics then just disable the resize and zoom features and any other features that would mess up the screen. If they can do this then maybe there is a way to also allow KR Graphics. Alls we hear from the EC Users is how great and versatile the EC is and you really think by just allowing us to pick which graphics we want to see is going to break it. Did allowing the EC users to use the CC backpacks break the EC? Please explain how using CC Graphics could break the EC? Everybody screams ONE CLIENT and if you allow CC access in the EC dont you think this may just be a way to accomplish it?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
%200 agree with DO NOT TOUCH THE CC Client but how could being able to pick which graphics break the EC. If I picK CC Graphics then just disable the resize and zoom features and any other features that would mess up the screen. If they can do this then maybe there is a way to also allow KR Graphics. Alls we hear from the EC Users is how great and versatile the EC is and you really think by just allowing us to pick which graphics we want to see is going to break it. Did allowing the EC users to use the CC backpacks break the EC? Please explain how using CC Graphics could break the EC? Everybody screams ONE CLIENT and if you allow CC access in the EC dont you think this may just be a way to accomplish it?
Having played this game on and off for 20 years, I've learn to expect the unexpected.

I think there is a big difference between using CC backpacks and allowing the entire CC graphic set to be available in EC. If there was a seemless way to use CC graphics in EC, and it wouldn't take much developer effort to do it, I'd be all for it. But that is likely wishful thinking. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. For the immediate moment, I'd rather know the developers are focusing on the Pet Revamp and Combat changes as opposed to changing graphics availability on EC. That's just me and my opinion, I'm well aware its not the only one.

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You mean how KR allowed you to switch between higher resolution CC art and the KR art? Both of which still exist in the EC files. Its kind of ridiculous, right now there are three versions of art in the EC files. The old beautiful KR, the properly upscaled CC art and what we have now in the EC.

They could easily enable all three, even if it was "unsupported" it makes me so sad.

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are really only 3 times that I play in the EC.
1. When I can't see an item on a vendor to buy it. This forces me to switch to the the EC for the grid packs.
2. When I'm crafting large amounts of armor pieces the EC packs make it easier.
3. When T-hunting the grid style keeps me from having to empty the whole chest.

All 3 Cases involve the EC style packs. There's really no other features that I would even want from the EC for fear of loosing what I love about the CC.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I only use EC at spawns, because I can macro a target nearest mob, and then have it ignore friendlies and stuff...no more attacking guildmates =)

Can't find that option in CC....all I can find is target nearest hostile, which seems to always want to select one half a screen away instead of the ones that are next to me banging on my arse lol. and cant make it ignore friendlies

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
"The validity of a code purchased from a third-party seller (be it a friend, in-game acquaintance, or recommended site) cannot be guaranteed. Furthermore, any codes we find to have be fraudulently obtained will be disabled and an account that applies any of these codes will have that code removed from said account. This can result in the loss of gametime, character slots, expansion access, Sovereigns (and the items purchased with them), in-game items and more."

Am I the only one that sees a problem here?

I'm easily picturing a situation where someone figures a way to make fake sovereign/item codes. (Which has happened in the past.) Those codes are applied to a dummy account, items are purchased/redeamed, then the items are vendored or otherwise sold for gold. Broadsword eventually catches the fake codes, blocks the dummy account... and deletes the items from those who unsuspectingly bought the items.

Seems like the only one who actually gets screwed here is the one who buys the item in game.

On two different topic, @Kyronix, re wedding rings, are you referring to crafted rings? Or is there some way to still get uniquely named rings that I'm not aware of? Also, @Uriah Heep, re those old deeds, scrolls, and rings, all the ones I know of are in the wiki, if you know of more. :) UO:Magic Moments Items - Stratics Community Wiki | Stratics

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm easily picturing a situation where someone figures a way to make fake sovereign/item codes. (Which has happened in the past.) Those codes are applied to a dummy account, items are purchased/redeamed, then the items are vendored or otherwise sold for gold. Broadsword eventually catches the fake codes, blocks the dummy account... and deletes the items from those who unsuspectingly bought the items.
And you don't think they are already doing it now and have been for a long, long time. 3rd party sites have been undercutting UO prices from day one and continue to do it still today, they never stopped.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
And you don't think they are already doing it now and have been for a long, long time. 3rd party sites have been undercutting UO prices from day one and continue to do it still today, they never stopped.
I'm not disputing that. My point is, that policy from Broadsword is itself problematic, in that it only punishes the person who actually didn't do anything wrong.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Amazing that if you lose something to a bug or faulty game mechanic, they cannot replace that item because they cant prove you had it.
But they can track an item and know where it is if it is created from a stolen code? If so, why cant they figure out what we lost? One or the other is wrong...they can't ahve it both ways