• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Ultima Online Newsletter

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*grumbles about the My Little Pony-fication of UO*

39e5e656-7485-4163-a7c3-172cb8a1449f.png

At least I can mock this openly now.

That art is awful. The tail and mane look just horridly chunky. Please, use google and get horse reference images.

I won't even comment on the rainbow part. I think this is all anyone needs to say:
:facepalm:

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*grumbles about the My Little Pony-fication of UO*

View attachment 58558

At least I can mock this openly now.

That art is awful. The tail and mane look just horridly chunky. Please, use google and get horse reference images.

I won't even comment on the rainbow part. I think this is all anyone needs to say:
:facepalm:
ikr? It looks like someone opened MSPaint for Stevie Wonder & told him to splash rainbow colors all over the mane & tail of the unicoron.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ikr? It looks like someone opened MSPaint for Stevie Wonder & told him to splash rainbow colors all over the mane & tail of the unicoron.
The unicorn whose model was ripped directly out of Third Dawn without any increase in polygon count.

This is Broadsword Amateur Hour.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not even gonna lie.... I screamed just a little.
I have a pvp character on GL that matches some friends characters, and they are all named "Unicorn Puppies".

7 red people named Unicorn Puppies, riding this mount, might be coming to a spawn near you soon =) ;) :party: :lol:

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh if my Biker mates see me on this im never going to live it down..... Hi Boys like my new Harley, custom paint job, honest, boys, boys come back.......

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The unicorn whose model was ripped directly out of Third Dawn without any increase in polygon count.

This is Broadsword Amateur Hour.
They actually use that model for Dreadhorn, at least on the EC.
Which only increases my desire to slaughter that bloody thing.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Wish the Doom revamp involved actually putting new items down there. Crafted stuff can be made from the billion worthless items that already exist.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wish the Doom revamp involved actually putting new items down there. Crafted stuff can be made from the billion worthless items that already exist.
What kind of items are you looking for? We're still really early in the process for the Doom upgrade. We went the crafted artifacts route because it was well received with the other old school Doom arties. Certainly open to more suggestions though.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What kind of items are you looking for? We're still really early in the process for the Doom upgrade. We went the crafted artifacts route because it was well received with the other old school Doom arties. Certainly open to more suggestions though.
I like the idea of "upgrading" the older Doom arties too! I have quite a few wasting away in a box that I would love to upgrade like you did the staff and hat.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks, that's exactly what we are doing with the Doom Upgrade.
The problem is with all this Legendary Loot that is dropping you would have to make them on par with those and very few people will be able to afford them or do a little upgrade to them and they will sit in chests like all the other Arties.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks, that's exactly what we are doing with the Doom Upgrade.
I love the idea of the craftable artifacts (I think it was actually my suggestion back in that thread)... the thing is, the items need to be useful in today's meta.

Examples:
A weapon geared towards PvM will almost certainly end up in the trashcan if it doesn't have mana leech on it, regardless of what else it has that might be useful.
A weapon with a slayer on it becomes mostly useless (even with mana leech) if it has a hit effect that negates the slayer (shadowguard bow??)
If an item is easily ( and I mean very common from top end content) replaced by mob loot, few will put in the effort to get the new items.
If the one or two properties that are supposed to make the item desirable are already outclassed by other artifacts that are easily obtainable (ring with 150 luck and some resist??)

I have played most every template in UO for both PvP and PvM (except a PvP thief), and I just don't see a lot that inspires me to want the artifacts as they are currently proposed.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
If an item is easily ( and I mean very common from top end content) replaced by mob loot, few will put in the effort to get the new items.
This is easily one of the biggest problems with UO, not only does it kill crafting it is extremely skewing the game economy.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is easily one of the biggest problems with UO, not only does it kill crafting it is extremely skewing the game economy.
IMOit should balance like this:
  • Top end mob loot should be more powerful than anything that is craftable, but getting the right mix of properties takes some luck.
  • Top end craftables should be less powerful, but easier to have the right mix of properties
For example:
A top end looted mage sdi ring could be something like:
1 FC
3 FCR
25 LRC
10 LMC
18 SDI
15 DCI
4 MR
10 Mana
5 Intel
+20 mage skill
+20 mage skill

These pieces exist today, but are hard to come by simply because of the random nature of the properties. 11 properties and way over 1000 weight... no way do I think you should be able to craft something like that.

A comparable crafted artifact piece could be something like:
1 FC
3 FCR
15 LRC
6 LMC
18 SDI
10 DCI
3 MR
+20 mage skill

That would be a very useful item. People would go after it and use it, but would still have the opportunity to upgrade with the right legendary. Crafting it from other artifacts keeps those items relevant while providing something that is an upgrade. If that piece was an artifact that simply dropped like a tangle, it would make every other artifact ring virtually worthless and keep crafters in the attic.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Top end craftables should be less powerful, but easier to have the right mix of properties
This is more my view......

Here's my reasoning.. Can you picture Orc in the Orc Mines forging today's top end gear? Are Minax, the Shadowlords, or our Dearly Departed Wolfgang and Mondain moonlighting as Tinkers, Tailors, or Smiths? Where is this top end loot coming from, and how does it fit within the world of UO?

When you have a character that is granted the title of "Legendary/Grandmaster {Blacksmith/Tailor/Tinker/Bowyer/Artificer}" etc. you'd think they would be able to craft and make items that while not on par with the great artifacts at least not significantly subpar in quality to them.

This was the case Pre-AoS when excepting the Silver weapons, your standard GM made Sword wasn't inferior to the point of uselessness to an equivalent Vanquishing weapon of the same

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I dunno, mudflation is a pretty serious issue at this point, what with all the years of additions and the lack of a soft gear reset the way WoW and the like get whenever they raise the level cap with an expansion. I mean I like the idea of using old artifacts as ingredients, but what I'm mostly concerned with is exemplified by the post directly above the one I'm quoting here. That guy is looking forward to upgrading a dusty box of Doom artifacts he's had sitting around forever and won't need to go see whatever new AI you put in down there.

Okay here's an idea.

You come up with a list of what we'll call artifact templates. These templates consist of a set of just a couple of complementary item properties set to very high levels, comparable to current legendary items. Then when an artifact drop is called for, you select a random base item and apply one of those templates. Give them fancy names that appear on the item as well, so people have a handy way of referring to them. Just as a quick non-literal example, don't take the name or specific stats too seriously...

(Whatever) of Ass Wrecking
Absorptive
80% Hit Mana Leech
50% Swing Speed Increase

Where Absorptive means it has an imbuing cap way above normal. So you're not going to get the most out of the item without involving a crafting skill, but at the same time crafters can't just churn these things out without someone killing a boss to get the item in the first place. And since everyone is going to imbue them, they can't be powdered and kept for eternity.

The best part is, the fact that most of the weapons in this game are really suboptimal thanks to their swing speed or their special moves actually works in your favor here. With a lot of different templates to go through and an appropriate drop rate, it's going to be a very long damn time before everyone and their uncle has their perfect Leafblade of Ass Wrecking or whatever is deemed most desirable.

Hell make an awesome Splintering Weapon one. Since imbued items can't be powdered and Splintering Weapon eats up durability so quickly, that alone will keep people farming down there for eternity.

This would also make a good opportunity to get some armor mods out there that don't get that much play. Like that good/evil mana burst stuff nobody used because it was attached to trash-quality Charybdis armor. Speaking of which, make sure armor under this system either has proper resists or lots of room to imbue them on top of the other mods people will need. That's what killed that Charybdis junk.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
(Whatever) of Ass Wrecking
LOL. Got a chuckle out of that.

To your point though, I like the idea of a few artifact 'templates'.

I think the new Kotl City rings did it up right... they were basically Crystalline rings where you could pick the primary casting skill you wanted. I would like to see that on some dexxer gear where you have a choice in a few of the mods on the item. As long as the imbue intensity was relatively the same it shouldn't be a problem. Especially when it comes to 'artifact weapons', major revamps are needed. The template approach (i.e., like being able to pick a certain slayer) would possibly make some of these a little more useful again.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
They just added my little pony to the game for christs sake. Do you really think reasoning comes into it any more as far as UO is concerned?
No, I don't really. But that doesn't mean I can't have a perspective, and express it. Maybe they'll rely on our reasoning someday.

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not even gonna lie.... I screamed just a little.
I have a pvp character on GL that matches some friends characters, and they are all named "Unicorn Puppies".

7 red people named Unicorn Puppies, riding this mount, might be coming to a spawn near you soon =) ;) :party: :lol:

Now THAT would scare me!!!

Grazz't1970

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
We keep paying. They do what they want. On to the 20th year.

Read some of the threads on hear. We are , as a collective , a bunch of arguing crackpots. No way is hades should we be listened to. Heck in a couple more replies someone will interject siege needlessly.

No one should be shocked that they do what they want!!

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We keep paying. They do what they want. On to the 20th year.

Read some of the threads on hear. We are , as a collective , a bunch of arguing crackpots. No way is hades should we be listened to. Heck in a couple more replies someone will interject siege needlessly.

No one should be shocked that they do what they want!!

Siege, SIEGE, SIEGE!!!!

(No, I don't play Siege.)