• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Ultima Online Newsletter #48

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Couple things. 20th anniversary invasion sounds like fun. The 41 people busted for third party programs is an interesting number.....

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I was thinking that too, I don't remember any numbers for that before or certainly not so high anyway, it's odd when they refuse to actually say whether (or which of) those programs are illegal.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was thinking that too, I don't remember any numbers for that before or certainly not so high anyway, it's odd when they refuse to actually say whether (or which of) those programs are illegal.
Not to mention how they verified the use of the programs. Either they are devoting more time and resources to actually begin cracking down on it...... or the numbers as some have alluded to may be made up all together.

Naxatilor Feluka

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its absolutely detectable. Imagine one player using 10 accounts to farm shadowguard, you cannot possibly believe someone can spam bandages, heals, cures, invis, and special abilities, on all 10 chars simultaneously without illegal 3rd party assistance. You could say 'yes that player could have had a salt shaker on a key to loop that spell training' but you cant say 'that player put a salt shaker on a key to tame bulls, rename them, release them, and fireball them.' I doubt any of those were pvp related, more likely targetting the people multibotting.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its absolutely detectable. Imagine one player using 10 accounts to farm shadowguard, you cannot possibly believe someone can spam bandages, heals, cures, invis, and special abilities, on all 10 chars simultaneously without illegal 3rd party assistance. You could say 'yes that player could have had a salt shaker on a key to loop that spell training' but you cant say 'that player put a salt shaker on a key to tame bulls, rename them, release them, and fireball them.' I doubt any of those were pvp related, more likely targetting the people multibotting.
Not debating whether possible or not. I'm questioning that they would actually have the additional time to start attacking that beast of beasts. Considering publish 109 and the "big thing" are being worked on I find it reasonable to have at least a bit of skepticism.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
what are the details of this invasion? link? thx
It was multipart and included most player types.
First we have to build the Oblisk to make our weapons Titan Slayers.
Sounds complicated but was easy. Includes Trade routes, T hunting. Fishing up SoS, Crafting. Summoning Demon Babies, (Focus) Then finally fighting.

Nevermind. Kyronix just said they are only activating the Invasion part. You go to the city that is being invaded and kill stuff. then a Titan Boss appears. Someone says they happen every hour, I forgot.

@PinkPandora Our Demon Baby misses his Mommy!

Last edited:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Just when they cleaned the confetti clog out of the sewers...

:troll:

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its absolutely detectable. Imagine one player using 10 accounts to farm shadowguard, you cannot possibly believe someone can spam bandages, heals, cures, invis, and special abilities, on all 10 chars simultaneously without illegal 3rd party assistance.
I find it easy to do shadowguard with 10 characters using 1 UOA, and 9 default clients.
but I generally use 2-3 chars to do the vast majority of the work, the rest of the chars pretty much sit around doing nothing til the end.
the good thing about shadowguard, is the 'drops' are handed out based on completion of the roof and has nothing to do with looting rights.

Maybe if they made the roof more difficult like the other rooms it might be interesting, but I was able to do it before they nerfed the bosses spawning mobs multiple times in a row when they made tamer's pets trigger spawn they added a cooldown on the additional mob spawns. I didn't use tamers before, so that made it a lot easier for me to manage.

I'd like to know what third-party programs people are being banned for, It's clearly nothing used in pvp cause almost every pvper that records videos is playing with an 'illegal' program, and some of their clients have so many alterations they don't even look like the same UO most of us know. they're still playing.

It's also odd that (atleast to my knowledge) there's no "illegal programs list", so that's pretty messed up. many of these returning players have played free shards, so they're using programs that were once (and I presume) are still illegal.

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was multipart and included most player types.
First we have to build the Oblisk to make our weapons Titan Slayers.
Sounds complicated but was easy. Includes Trade routes, T hunting. Fishing up SoS, Crafting. Summoning Demon Babies, (Focus) Then finally fighting.

Nevermind. Kyronix just said they are only activating the Invasion part. You go to the city that is being invaded and kill stuff. then a Titan Boss appears. Someone says they happen every hour, I forgot.

@PinkPandora Our Demon Baby misses his Mommy!
Thx Pawain for the info :) sure it’ll be fun !

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
activating the 20th anniversary invasion.

With all these new/returning players running around in britania cities, is that such a good idea? :p

thats what I call really bad timing lol

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So now we have 2 invasion

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Monday May 11th Oceania @ 8 pm ET

What does that mean? ET?

We run on AEST in Australia. Just trying to work out what that is?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Monday May 11th Oceania @ 8 pm ET

What does that mean? ET?

We run on AEST in Australia. Just trying to work out what that is?
That would be East Coast USA Time. To bad they couldn't post both times AEST and EDT

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You're right, but there's no list of that sort either, is there?
I think there is, albeit a short one. AFAIK the only officially approved third party app is UO Assist. Everything else is technically illegal.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The leadership running this s-show need to actually be leaders and say what is legal and what isn't. All this hinting around and random stuff is just ridiculous. Basically acting like our inept friggin' guvmint. No one wants to take responsibility or actually inform us peons.

Do your jobs, "leadership".

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
<sigh> Back to whats okay and what's not ... for the umpteenth time. Hell, I think it before Draconi even.

It was definitively stated years ago - before BS - that generally anything that ALTERS the datastream between client and server are ILLEGAL and BANNABLE if caught using. Speed hacks are in this category.

That means anything that DOES NOT interfere with the datastream IS allowed. This is like (but not limited to) UO Assist, UOCart, UO Automap. UO Wedding and other apps like them.

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
<sigh> Back to whats okay and what's not ... for the umpteenth time. Hell, I think it before Draconi even.

It was definitively stated years ago - before BS - that generally anything that ALTERS the datastream between client and server are ILLEGAL and BANNABLE if caught using. Speed hacks are in this category.

That means anything that DOES NOT interfere with the datastream IS allowed. This is like (but not limited to) UO Assist, UOCart, UO Automap. UO Wedding and other apps like them.
People have been jailed for simply running macros afk. A GM has no means to see whether you use illegal tools or not, less so what they technically do. It just comes down to being able to reply to a GM at any time. Just using third party tools won't get you banned.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I still think that anyone who is a 'professional' scripter has some way of replying to a GM, I'm not a programmer but I bet those scripts are pretty sophisticated after all this time. I'm quite sure the only people who got caught were regular players just trying to get ahead by afk macroing in their house. That change makes their numbers look good, if those numbers are to be believed. They will never go after the ones with a ton of accounts that are running scripts to farm in dungeons, multi-boxing EM events or trying to get around the IDOC changes, they would lose too many accounts at once.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I still think that anyone who is a 'professional' scripter has some way of replying to a GM, I'm not a programmer but I bet those scripts are pretty sophisticated after all this time. I'm quite sure the only people who got caught were regular players just trying to get ahead by afk macroing in their house. That change makes their numbers look good, if those numbers are to be believed. They will never go after the ones with a ton of accounts that are running scripts to farm in dungeons, multi-boxing EM events or trying to get around the IDOC changes, they would lose too many accounts at once.
They do go after the dungeon "scriptors" y'all just don't understand that they are sitting at their work station. And watching. They are just like a security guard watching their monitors. No special programs needed. That is their choice for work or entertainment. It is not your choice so you do not understand it or you think is is not what someone should do as a "job".

If I chose to do that, I would have multiple monitors and computers. I used to run 2 complete computers playing Diablo 3.

The only way to stop this would be a sign in method that verifies your ID and allows you to play 3 hours a day. Is that what y'all think would be fair.

Get over it. Some people play 8 + hours a day and they may be where you wanted to be. That's why I play on LS. I also like playing with others so if someone is where I want to be then I play there or move to another spot.

Last edited:

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
People have been jailed for simply running macros afk. A GM has no means to see whether you use illegal tools or not, less so what they technically do. It just comes down to being able to reply to a GM at any time. Just using third party tools won't get you banned.
I was responding to a remark asking why TPTB don't clarify what 3rd party app was legal and what wasn't.

I don't disagree on the unattended ... but THAT has been clearly spelled out even before the datastream stuff. And it looks like BS is trying to enforce it somewhat.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If they won't actually answer the question of what is legal then you can't really blame people for using those apps, you can't say 'we have used app x but you are not allowed to use app x' surely they should be setting an example, not admitting to what is basically cheating when they are not even 'regular' players anyway!