• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Ultima Online News Letter

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't think that the drop rate at Blackthorn's is THAT bad. It could be a bit faster, sure, but if you are in a hurry, there are always the captains that can be killed fairly fast, unless the RNG hates you and gives you daemon or fey spawn at the city pods.
Captains are broken and have been for ages. There are those that won't take any damage and regen what little you can do back at such a rate that 4 people can't put a dent in them... Anytime I bring up the suggestion of going and doing them I get shot down so fast make your head spin.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Captains are broken and have been for ages. There are those that won't take any damage and regen what little you can do back at such a rate that 4 people can't put a dent in them... Anytime I bring up the suggestion of going and doing them I get shot down so fast make your head spin.
Use anything but physical damage on them and they will go down really quickly.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I think that's the reason it's so slow. To give the captains purpose. I just wish they were a bit more soloable.
I wish they were soloable in more builds. Right now, the most effective ones are the plain paladin (120 swords/tactics/anatomy/chiv/healing/parry) or a bushido paladin with healing.
And you need to have an AI weapon with HLL/HML/HSL/Hit lightning that is not 100% physical and one without HLL for the captains with corrupted aura. With that, they drop quickly.
I do have a quarrel with the daemon and fey spawn, though. They are so much more difficult than all the other spawns, and it is anything but fun to fight those.
Fey spawn needs to be removed and the bone daemons replaced with something more fair on the daemon spawn.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm really just arguing that something needs to go in there. If it's not this event, there really should be something else.
I'm sure there's a good chance they'll use it for something.

If not, there's always next year

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish they were soloable in more builds. Right now, the most effective ones are the plain paladin (120 swords/tactics/anatomy/chiv/healing/parry) or a bushido paladin with healing.
And you need to have an AI weapon with HLL/HML/HSL/Hit lightning that is not 100% physical and one without HLL for the captains with corrupted aura. With that, they drop quickly.
I do have a quarrel with the daemon and fey spawn, though. They are so much more difficult than all the other spawns, and it is anything but fun to fight those.
Fey spawn needs to be removed and the bone daemons replaced with something more fair on the daemon spawn.
I've tried them on siege with my vamp/paladin and it wasn't happening. I think the solo gear req's may be a bit too high for me.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sure there's a good chance they'll use it for something.

If not, there's always next year
Well, I assume next year it will move to a different dungeon, as that was the original idea. The only reason it was in doom twice was because they were working on other stuff and didn't spend any time on Halloween content.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I've tried them on siege with my vamp/paladin and it wasn't happening. I think the solo gear req's may be a bit too high for me.
Oh... Yeah, vampire form doesn't work that good there. All the dexxer ones have around 160 weapon skill, so relying only on life leech to stay alive doesn't cut there.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Blackthorn's droprate is fine IMHO -- the rewards are worth it. It's a challenging encounter, even with a good sized group. It shouldn't be another "easy button" encounter where you walk in there for an hour and walk out with 50+ turn in items.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Blackthorn's droprate is fine IMHO -- the rewards are worth it. It's a challenging encounter, even with a good sized group. It shouldn't be another "easy button" encounter where you walk in there for an hour and walk out with 50+ turn in items.
With the amount of time it takes to solo a captain, it's not worth it. Earlier this year, I wandered to the back on LS and found a Bard Captain in the Moonglow area. It took me OVER an hour and a half to solo it (I think it was a 5x HP one) with my greater dragon. Granted, that's not the most efficient method - I once needed 30 minutes to kill a Fencer (normal HP/Resists) with my Mystic.

In the time it takes me to solo a Captain now (Assuming they don't have the Taming Mastery's Consume Damage ability), I could spend the same amount of time at Evil Mages and get MORE drops. I'm not even taking the spawn into consideration - when you add that in, it's definitely not worth doing at all without a group.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why does everything need to be soloable in UO? Up the rewards for the Captains so more people will join up to fight them and STOP making everything soloable.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
With the amount of time it takes to solo a captain, it's not worth it. Earlier this year, I wandered to the back on LS and found a Bard Captain in the Moonglow area. It took me OVER an hour and a half to solo it (I think it was a 5x HP one) with my greater dragon. Granted, that's not the most efficient method - I once needed 30 minutes to kill a Fencer (normal HP/Resists) with my Mystic.

In the time it takes me to solo a Captain now (Assuming they don't have the Taming Mastery's Consume Damage ability), I could spend the same amount of time at Evil Mages and get MORE drops. I'm not even taking the spawn into consideration - when you add that in, it's definitely not worth doing at all without a group.

This is true - but as you said... in a group, you can knock down the entire tower, all the captain spawns, in anywhere from 1-2 hours. I think the trick is to be aware that there are certain captains which leach back physical damage, and you have to segregate them and fight them separately. In group play, you will get more drops (and have more fun) doing the Blackthorn dungeon towns than just sitting there with the evil mages. But to each their own..

I might do it for my official guild hunt tomorrow night if you'd like to tag along...

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Actually, my record was 2 and half hours to solo clear a city pod (orc spawn) and get about 50 minax minors there. :p
The captains and most of the spawn are pretty challenging, but manageable. It only gets very difficult with fey and daemon spawns.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Well, I assume next year it will move to a different dungeon, as that was the original idea. The only reason it was in doom twice was because they were working on other stuff and didn't spend any time on Halloween content.
Sure, it's possible but they've been known for recycling content.

Guess we will see what happens.

Garen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Boooo! That place is unbearable. I started off with the goal of getting a Garb. Spent two weeks 1-2 hours a day there, even managed to solo the Mystic champion once. I have about 30 artifices and cannot tolerate the encounter any longer.

The drop rate on the captains is great, but that's not something everybody can do, and my shard has no population to form a group.

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3. How many new skills will be covered with the new BOD system?

Eight total but 6 new skills. Tinkering, Fletching, Alchemy, Inscription, Carpentry, and Cooking will all added in the new BOD system.
Does this mean we'll be getting 120 powerscrolls for those skills?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Please no PS for these skills. My butt is still chapped by the original lie "you will never have to have a 120 PS in order to compete". We see how that worked out.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Please no PS for these skills. My butt is still chapped by the original lie "you will never have to have a 120 PS in order to compete". We see how that worked out.
Well yes... and we all know that what they actually did do was just basically take the GM skill and stretch it to 120 without actually adding any bonus to getting 120.

Since never in the time I played did I fizzle all the time casting a gate at GM... NEVER and now a GM mage can't cast a gate without fizzling 15 times in a row... But they didn't change the way things are... nope...

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hope for no PSs, and I hope the rewards are reasonably obtained. It will be such a waste of programming time to add all these bods into the game, if the reward is another bear rug, and some tool with 500 uses that costs more to get than the equivalent number of tools to have 500 uses.

I can see it now, lol, we asked to have BOD books function in pack, and as locked down also. And to be able to put our tool in a bag, with the materials, and when it is made have the "fill from bag" option, instead of constant clicking to fill. But what I am afraid we are gonnna get, based on past history, is long drawn out convoluted repetitive grinding clickfest.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Does this mean we'll be getting 120 powerscrolls for those skills?
I'm kind of torn on this. On one hand I'd like some PS for the crafts as part of the BOD system. BUT ... not knowing how screwed up the new stuff will be makes me want to say "no thanks ... why complicate things?"

I cannot see how LJ could possibly have a BOD system, but why not do something like the Mining Gloves? Carpenter BOD system can drop LJ gloves asa a reward like Mining drops in the Smithing BOD system.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm kind of torn on this. On one hand I'd like some PS for the crafts as part of the BOD system. BUT ... not knowing how screwed up the new stuff will be makes me want to say "no thanks ... why complicate things?"

I cannot see how LJ could possibly have a BOD system, but why not do something like the Mining Gloves? Carpenter BOD system can drop LJ gloves asa a reward like Mining drops in the Smithing BOD system.

Eight total but 6 new skills. Tinkering, Fletching, Alchemy, Inscription, Carpentry, and Cooking will all added in the new BOD system.

LJ is not getting a BOD system.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I could list rewards I'd like to see added... but I'd like to set the record straight about some of it.... I don't want to see ITEM stuff added like rugs, tapestries etc... I would PREFER to see Recipes added.. to which I can then craft things in various woods, cloth etc.... and dye them... MUCH preferred over storing 40 tapestries no one wants... On the same token... need a book like the ps books etc that hold RECIPES...

Don't make me go to 120... things are crowded enough on my crafters... Unless you are somehow going to give us more skill points NO just NO.

Consider allowing Talismans to count over and above skill... ie I have GM Carpentry but if I put on my 28/25 talisman then I have 128 Carpentry... that would be ok...

Please for the love of the game do NOT add more grinds... Don't we have enough already???

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

LJ is not getting a BOD system.
okay. my bad ... however as Mining supports Smithing and Smithing BODs drop Mining gloves, how about LJ booster gloves since it is a support skill? Wood and ingredients from LJ contribute to Fletching, Carpentry, Tinkering at least.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
okay. my bad ... however as Mining supports Smithing and Smithing BODs drop Mining gloves, how about LJ booster gloves since it is a support skill? Wood and ingredients from LJ contribute to Fletching, Carpentry, Tinkering at least.
lumberjacks have the corroded axe from lady M...

But Fletching, carpentry, Glass Blowing, Masonry, Alchemy, Cartography, Inscription etc.... don't have such things...

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Melisandes Corroded Hatchet is not like the gloves. It does not raise LJ above 100 as the gloves do. When wearing the gloves, skill will read as 101, 103 or 105 depending on the gain worn. Real skill is 100. With the hatchet, best you get is 100. Period.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lumberjacks have the corroded axe from lady M...

But Fletching, carpentry, Glass Blowing, Masonry, Alchemy, Cartography, Inscription etc.... don't have such things...
They have Tallys to give them help.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They have Tallys to give them help.
Talismans do NOT go over cap... For the skill. They do raise your exceptional chance by whatever the talisman has but they do NOT go over your cap. So if you are GM Carpentry and wearing a +29 Carpentry Talisman you are still crafting at GM skill not 129 skill.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Talismans do NOT go over cap... For the skill. They do raise your exceptional chance by whatever the talisman has but they do NOT go over your cap. So if you are GM Carpentry and wearing a +29 Carpentry Talisman you are still crafting at GM skill not 129 skill.
Talismans add to success chance, not to skill.
If you are at 100 skill and crafting something with 75% success rate, if you put on a talisman that adds 25% success you will craft at 100% success rate.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where are these easy button encounters ingame? I mean those with reasonable droprates and/or a good RNG? I am doing 100 % PVM for 10 years now in almost all fashions. Please show me an encounter that is "easy button" and gives good loot / rewards? You cannot be talking about a peerless - neither about HS, SA or the recent add-ons. The temporary things like Treasures of Doom / Kotl dont count as they are turned off. So, please - where is that place? I know only one: Cove 3 (easy button, good drops, crappy loot) or Navrey (easy button, good drops, crappy loot). And even this one needs patience.