• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ultima Lore Collection

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hiya everyone,

I thought it might be fun and beneficial to collect as much Ultima Lore information as possible in a thread like this one, that way any new members to the community, or veterans who forgot, can find out anything they want to know about Ultima Lore for years to come.

I know some shards have individual shard history threads, but having one central thread would help keep everything organized so people can easily locate the information.

So, basically post anything you want about any aspect of Ultima Lore, and let's see where this goes! :)

(Feel free to copy and paste information from websites if you want, but please copy the actual information, not the link, since links can break and the website the information is on could shut down, making the link useless)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Some lesser known facts about Ultima Lore:

1. Lord British is not from Sosaria, he is really from London, England on Earth.

2. Lord British was not the only king in Britannia, originally there were many rulers who owned individual territories, Lord British united them all under his rule to create what we now call Britannia.

3. Lord British brought 2 shotguns with him from Earth, they were stored in his castle until he abdicated the throne, at which time they mysteriously were lost.

4. Exodus was not a demon in the original Ultima games, contrary to the picture on the games box, he was really a large computer. (Which is strange, since he was also Mondain and Minax's child)

5. The first few original Ultima games were not actually designed to be sold in stores, they were Richard Garriot's high school projects for his computer class, but were so amazing his teacher told him to try selling them in stores.

6. All of the original companions in the Ultima series were based on real people, mostly Richard Garriots friends.

Zerbee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something I've always wanted to known since I've returned to UO...
How in the world is Blackthorn back? I always thought he was evil and dead or something similar. I took a year break from UO and came back to find hes well alive and an active role in multiple story arcs.

Unless I was mistaken, those hostile blackthorn monsters that used to be in Ilsh before all this led me to believe Blackthorn was a negative figure.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Something I've always wanted to known since I've returned to UO...
How in the world is Blackthorn back? I always thought he was evil and dead or something similar. I took a year break from UO and came back to find hes well alive and an active role in multiple story arcs.

Unless I was mistaken, those hostile blackthorn monsters that used to be in Ilsh before all this led me to believe Blackthorn was a negative figure.
That is one of the most complex lore issues in the game....kinda hard to explain, but basically, Blackthorn died in Ultima 9 before UO was created, but UO is a seperate world from the original Ultima games because Mondain's crystal ball broke into different shards of immortality which all became exact copies of the original world, but developed differently, hence why we have different shards in UO.

So, the original UO Blackthorn lived in Felucca, because Trammel had not been invented yet. The Felucca Blackthorn is dead, you can actually go to the Felucca Blackthorn castle and visit his grave.

The lore written about Trammel, what it is, why it was created, and all that type of stuff is....well....it's crap lol, none of it makes any sense. So, in modern times, the developers and EM's decided that they would sort of "edit" the messed up lore about Trammel so Blackthorn would still be alive.

Now, they say that when Trammel was created, Blackthorn basically got cloned....or something.... so even though the original Felucca one is dead and buried, his Trammel clone has been around this whole time, and was just in hiding until recently when he saw the Kingdom needed him.

As for him being evil, he was actually a really good person originally and was a good guy, but the Guardian, who was an evil boss in the original Ultima games, corrupted him and turned him evil.

So, since the one that got corrupted and turned evil was the Felucca one who is dead, that means the Trammel one was never turned evil, therefore is still a really good person and fit to rule the kingdom.

Complicated enough? hehe :D

Last edited:

Dodger

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only half read a "fact", have I mentioned I have a short attention span and a large drug habit?

Garriot is American and became "Lord British" because people thought he sounded British. I will defunc more when I care more.

Pepe the Strange

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to elaborate on Norrington's explanation...

There really wasn't a Trammel Blackthorn and a Felucca Blackthorn...it was just one who in trying to destroy Exodus was imprisoned by it instead. Exodus then made the "clone" Blackthorn ("Robothorn") which is the one that Dawn killed (after which a funeral was held). The real Blackthorn reappeared following Exodus' defeat at the Battle of Ver Lor Reg.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I only half read a "fact", have I mentioned I have a short attention span and a large drug habit?

Garriot is American and became "Lord British" because people thought he sounded British. I will defunc more when I care more.
Half true, hehe. Richard Garriot was born in Cambridge, England, to American parents, but moved to America at a very young age. He was too young to have a "real" British accent, but still sounded slightly British, and liked medieval stuff, so his friends started calling him Lord British. As he got older, the accent dissapeared completely, but he liked the nickname so kept using it.

Also, technically his name isn't Richard Garriot anymore. When he got married he added his wife's name to his, so now he is "officially" called Richard Garriot de Cayeux.

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Captain, your Blackthorn info is slightly erroneous...

That is one of the most complex lore issues in the game....kinda hard to explain, but basically, Blackthorn died in Ultima 9 before UO was created, but UO is a seperate world from the original Ultima games because Mondain's crystal ball broke into different shards of immortality which all became exact copies of the original world, but developed differently, hence why we have different shards in UO.
Ultima IX was released after UO in September of '99.

So, the original UO Blackthorn lived in Felucca, because Trammel had not been invented yet. The Felucca Blackthorn is dead, you can actually go to the Felucca Blackthorn castle and visit his grave.

The lore written about Trammel, what it is, why it was created, and all that type of stuff is....well....it's crap lol, none of it makes any sense. So, in modern times, the developers and EM's decided that they would sort of "edit" the messed up lore about Trammel so Blackthorn would still be alive.

Now, they say that when Trammel was created, Blackthorn basically got cloned....or something.... so even though the original Felucca one is dead and buried, his Trammel clone has been around this whole time, and was just in hiding until recently when he saw the Kingdom needed him.

As for him being evil, he was actually a really good person originally and was a good guy, but the Guardian, who was an evil boss in the original Ultima games, corrupted him and turned him evil.
So, since the one that got corrupted and turned evil was the Felucca one who is dead, that means the Trammel one was never turned evil, therefore is still a really good person and fit to rule the kingdom.
Complicated enough? hehe :D
Er... It's actually way more convoluted than that :p

So, Lord British and Blackthorn were close frenemies, at least ideologically. Lord British had his Virtues, while Blackthorn preferred Chaos. Now, Chaos to Blackthorn is not the psychotic evil most think, but more a sense that each person should more or less govern themselves and not have a bunch of restrictions and morals forced on them by the state. (Ignore the Order vs Chaos guards, as that was just a lame way to try adding structure to PvP and had little fictional support)

Lord British also wanted to follow the Time Lord's warning and reunite the shards of the Gem of Immortality to prevent the Prime timeline from imploding. Blackthorn, however, though that idea was monstrous as it would kill everyone on every shard except for the original. (Since the nature of the shards is dimensionally recursive, meaning each shard has more shards inside of it, the death toll would be staggering)

(History without the retcon) So... Blackthorn was corrupted by the Shadowlords in the prime timeline (single player Ultima games), UO's Blackthorn was corrupted by Exodus and assimilated augmented with Exodus' technology, wich is actually technomancy (magic and technology combined).

(an aside about Exodus: Exodus, according to the prime timeline, is the psyche/soul of a daemon magically housed in a machine (computer) body. Mondain and Minax used alien tech (Kilrathi) to create Exodus, who they saw as their "son.")

This upgraded Blackthorn allied with Kabur the Juka and resided in a keep in central Ilshenar and made trouble for Britannia.

(June 2003) His last attack on his former nation occurred in Yew, where a young warrior named Dawn managed to slay him. He was entombed in the courtyard of his keep in Felucca with several shards of the Gem of Immortality. (Note: Dawn had actually been created to ascend to the throne and reign as Britannia's Queen, but EA mismanagement sunk that plotline)

(2009) To fill the political-figure-corrupted-by-the-Shadowlords-a-la-Ultima-V role, Casca was created. He was also killed by Dawn, who subsequently ascended to the throne.

(2012) Britannia had been in a leadership vacuum since Queen Dawn's death at the hand of her ensorcelled husband. Enter the retcon!

As the plague in Ter Mur wraps up, we learn that the Blackthorn who perished all those years before in Yew was actually a replicant/clone/android that Exodus pulled out of his... created. The real Blackthorn had actually been held in stasis somewhere and only managed to escape when the new technorganic Exodus was sent back to cybernetic Hell. He came up with the cure for the mysterious plague, fixed the problem with the moongates, and somehow conned impressed whoever was currently in political power into making him King. (If you want to get really :eyes: :tinhat:, you might wonder where the gargoyle's plague originated and how Blackthorn just happened to have devised a cure so soon after being defrosted.)

So now, as King of Britannia, he sits on a gigantic, S&M-y phallus throne in a massive, ostentatiously decorated castle looming over Britain. o_O

Last edited:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ah, that makes more sense....and yet is more confusing at the same time....lol

Your right about Ultima 9, I never realized that.