• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Uh, guys? Which of you is training a deer for real-life PVP??

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
About a year ago there was a video of a deer attacking and eating a small bird. Perhaps Bambi is getting ready to exact his revenge upon the world.... course now I need to go tame a hind.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I was going to guess it had something to do with salt and other minerals.

but eating birds? Perhaps the bird was being a pain.

You know the more we watch wildlife I think the more we will find they will surprise us.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was going to guess it had something to do with salt and other minerals.

but eating birds? Perhaps the bird was being a pain.

You know the more we watch wildlife I think the more we will find they will surprise us.
It was a baby bird and the mother kept attacking the deer trying to stop it. Craziest thing I've seen in a very long time. Maybe they are learning to become omnivores to better adapt to their environments.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This thread reminded me of something else. Can we get pack instinct on some snakes?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If Bambi decides to go rogue, we have ways to deal with him.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It was a baby bird and the mother kept attacking the deer trying to stop it. Craziest thing I've seen in a very long time. Maybe they are learning to become omnivores to better adapt to their environments.
Male Deer will eat birds to get additional calcium from the bones for their antlers; females will do it when pregnant. But, those are typically in calcium-poor zones (mostly in Europe, and deer on islands where the nutrient supply is low - deer in the Florida Keys were known to eat fish and birds). They will also eat the felt off their antlers when the felt comes off, and in some cases shed antlers.

Munching on large cadavers is relatively unheard of for deer.Though, this could explain legends like the Wendigo and Peryton.

HORSES, on the other hand, have been known to kill small animals up to the size of rabbits, chickens and game fowl and eat them, as well as eating carrion. They even get to where they prefer such things (one horse last century was famous for liking hamburgers). If actually trained to eat meat, this would explain the meat-eating horses from Greek legend.