• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Two Years ago today ...

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
... UO got the greenlight on steam.

Steam Greenlight :: Ultima Online

Still lots of discussion and articles on steam and people asking when this will happen. Its a missed opportunity for the game which EA seem to have abandoned.

Will this ever happen @Mesanna ???
EA most probably told her NO since they`ve stopped releasing games on Steam a few years ago and decided to go with Origin instead. She did (or at least it seems) her job by applying and getting the greenlight, even though I agree our game would be best on Steam... you`ll either have to complain to EA directly or settle with what they offer instead

Origin.png

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mesanna said dozens of times over that they did everything up to getting it greenlit on steam but now it's in EA's ballcourt... and waiting on their approval which my guess is they are either purposely avoiding or they gave Mesanna and Co... a resounding *"HECK NO" ...

*Ka is LL....

Anyway that ship sailed and seems lost at sea.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
and just over two years ago they said the new account management was coming out in "May".

"Comments are disabled for this video." ---- LOL

I don't understand why it would take so long. You would think this is high priority.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't understand why it would take so long. You would think this is high priority.
It should be #1 priority in my opinion.

Think about all those players who might read about a new pet revamp and want to come back and check it out, then fail and give up trying to battle with the terrible account management that is in place now.

Then not to mention the forthcoming 20th anniversary. They should definitely get it setup by then.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran

Think about all those players who might read about a new pet revamp and want to come back and check it out, then fail and give up trying to battle with the terrible account management that is in place now.

Then not to mention the forthcoming 20th anniversary. They should definitely get it setup by then.
After this pet revamp, I really hope they work on the account management page before going on to work on the next publish or adding unnecessary deco items.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People keep paying EA despite the number and/or difficulty of the hoops they have leap through. Thus, EA doesn't give a F...we've proven ourselves to be trainable, masochistic seals who eagerly que up for a clubbing.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Maybe they had something mostly finished but then realized it was even worse than what we have and decided to better let things like they are :) Building such an system is not exactly what their day to day job on UO includes and IMO is also nothing you build in a couple of weeks with 2 people.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Or EA decided they didn't want to let go of the reins. and let BS have control.
Or an EA team was actually on it and they just let BS down :D

Guess we will never really know.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People keep paying EA despite the number and/or difficulty of the hoops they have leap through. Thus, EA doesn't give a F...we've proven ourselves to be trainable, masochistic seals who eagerly que up for a clubbing.
But then every time I get to the point of actually thinking of closing my account, I realize it's only like 10 bucks a month and laugh it off :D All hoops aside, we still enjoy most of the time we play it I guess.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Just going to say it as it is.

Th Craftsman sucked you all in.

With all the positive going on that's just pathetic.

Ox_AO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Shows what you know... Dot hasn't ever mentioned quitting... I have but Dot... NO.

Next time you want to bash Norrington.... leave Dot and your conjecture out of it.
I said he supports this type of thinking. EI: bashing the game to drive people away.

Why on earth would you defend him when he is clearly bashing the designers as a representative of Stratics?

To be clear: The designers are not sinless. Though representatives of a site like Stratics shouldn't be in the business of bashing the designers.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I said he supports this type of thinking. EI: bashing the game to drive people away.

Why on earth would you defend him when he is clearly bashing the designers as a representative of Stratics?

To be clear: The designers are not sinless. Though representatives of a site like Stratics shouldn't be in the business of bashing the designers.
Dot was saying things about EA not the DEVs HUGE difference ..... I bash the DEVs more than Dot... But I do so when I believe it's warranted or earned. As for EA there is NOTHING good I can say about that... EA has earned the WORST game company title 2 years in a row... and for good reason... NEVER have I seen a company so determined NOT to make money... totally blows my mind at the mismanagement they are responsible for on Origin Store and through the years I've dealt with them. They seem bound and determined to make it increasingly impossible to give them money for things and then when you do finally manage to wade through their sales .... it's often a massive disappointment. I recently bought Sims 4 and can't even play it. The game continually crashes and freezes. The package I bought was more to get SimCity... which also Won't run... at all... but that's not the UO DEVs fault.

Not everything posted here is directed at the DEVs but since EA has made it totally impossible to contact them at all ...... something else you have to scratch your head over... we can only post and share our frustrations here and beg the DEVs to voice our disgust to the powers that be.... if you actually do get through to Customer Service regarding things with EA they will tell you that they don't have anything at all to do with UO and it's "no longer supported"... in other words we are on our own and they don't or won't stand behind sales on the Origin Store for UO related items.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... UO got the greenlight on steam.

Steam Greenlight :: Ultima Online

Still lots of discussion and articles on steam and people asking when this will happen. Its a missed opportunity for the game which EA seem to have abandoned.

Will this ever happen @Mesanna ???
Steam Greenlight is going to be replaced with Steam Direct in Q2 this year. TBH, no idea, what exactly that means for already greenlit games, which haven't gone to the shop.

Maybe it is a good thing. I think, that the steam community would have torn apart UO on steam (review-wise) in its current state, because UO can't cater to modern gamers.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Steam Greenlight is going to be replaced with Steam Direct in Q2 this year. TBH, no idea, what exactly that means for already greenlit games, which haven't gone to the shop.

Maybe it is a good thing. I think, that the steam community would have torn apart UO on steam (review-wise) in its current state, because UO can't cater to modern gamers.
I agree and without a good new player experience it would not be good... no forums on the official site wouldn't be good either... chances of them finding and using this one are not good either...

Now I've seen far worse games on Steam many that look like old NES games or older... so I don't know about looks but there is quite a bit the game could use as far as things for new players.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just going to say it as it is.

Th Craftsman sucked you all in.

With all the positive going on that's just pathetic.
This is a discussion board. To discuss things. It is not totalitarian based site where subservience to EA/BS is a requirement. Get over your obsession with me.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be nice to think EA would revisit this when Steam Direct comes out then, although I dont hold a lot of hope it is a glimmer I guess.

UO needs very badly to buck the trend of a downwards subs spiral and Steam would undoubtedly do that. F2P as well would make a difference but thats a different discussion.

Sad but true, although people will still take a look (especially with a decent free trial) and some would stay no doubt. The frustrating thing is that with a little investment in account management and NPE steam would do the rest as far as 'advertising' the game and making it accessible to millions of potential players who may not be aware of it. And a F2P model would increase the playerbase substantially.

Ox_AO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Dot was saying things about EA not the DEVs HUGE difference
EA owns the game and hired the development team.
Their check comes from Broadsword that has a contract with EA.

How is it different? What you said is fine you're not a moderator.

This is a statement of general civility. It's not directed at anyone.
Free discussion should be open to anyone that isn't moderating.
When the moderators are attacking the designers you have an open unfavorable(hostile?) forum.

I would rather be part of a forum where we have civil discussions.
Thank you

Ox_AO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
EA most probably told her NO since they`ve stopped releasing games on Steam a few years ago and decided to go with Origin instead. She did (or at least it seems) her job by applying and getting the greenlight, even though I agree our game would be best on Steam... you`ll either have to complain to EA directly or settle with what they offer instead

View attachment 65288

This is a logical well thought out statement. I have no issue with this. It maybe right it maybe wrong. Either way it's a good answer.

Nominating a post for the best post of the month by a moderator that says we should use violence against the designers isn't my idea of a civil forum.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nominating a post for the best post of the month by a moderator that says we should use violence against the designers isn't my idea of a civil forum.
Reading comprehension fail.

Neither my post nor Norrington's post said, or even vaguely implied, that "we should use violence against the designers" in any fashion.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
EA owns the game and hired the development team.
Their check comes from Broadsword that has a contract with EA.

How is it different? What you said is fine you're not a moderator.

This is a statement of general civility. It's not directed at anyone.
When the moderators are attacking the designers you have an open unfavorable(hostile?) forum.

Thank you
I was a Reporter... but that makes no difference I think you are just barking up a tree... and looking to cause trouble. Norrington has always been one of the nicest moderators on the forums... even when he's giving me a warning... I have respect for the guy... IMO you are just into pot stirring... and ought to be smacked on the hands with a wooden spoon... if you want to promote hostilities.

Ox_AO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I was a Reporter... but that makes no difference I think you are just barking up a tree... and looking to cause trouble. Norrington has always been one of the nicest moderators on the forums... even when he's giving me a warning... I have respect for the guy... IMO you are just into pot stirring... and ought to be smacked on the hands with a wooden spoon... if you want to promote hostilities.
This isn't a debate.

Ox_AO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Reading comprehension fail.

Neither my post nor Norrington's post said, or even vaguely implied, that "we should use violence against the designers" in any fashion.
you did Dot_Warner said, "People keep paying EA despite the number and/or difficulty of the hoops they have leap through. Thus, EA doesn't give a F...we've proven ourselves to be trainable, masochistic seals who eagerly que up for a clubbing."

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you did Dot_Warner said, "People keep paying EA despite the number and/or difficulty of the hoops they have leap through. Thus, EA doesn't give a F...we've proven ourselves to be trainable, masochistic seals who eagerly que up for a clubbing."
Again, your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired.

Try reading what I said for a third time. You will find no phrase advocating violence against UO's designers.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If moderators and staff members could not participate in the free discussion, there would be no moderators or staff members. Why would someone volunteer to work for a website (for free since we are all volunteers) if they were going to be penalized for it by having their ability to discuss get taken away? There would be no staff members, therefore there would be no website, which in turn means all discussion is taken away from everyone. That's obviously not a good plan.

Your past history of posts on this forum has proven this is not the case. You know exactly what I'm talking about, and no I will not describe it here.

that says we should use violence against the designers isn't my idea of a civil forum.

Wow. Just wow. You somehow interpreted a metaphor for how badly EA treats the players of UO (not the developers, EA the faceless corporation) as a literal threat of physical violence? I simply don't believe any human being could have missed the point that badly, even when Dot tried to explain it to you. You must have done it on purpose just to cause an argument over it.

"Eagerly que up for a clubbing" = we keep giving money to EA even though EA has screwed over UO players every way possible over the years. It had nothing to do with violence against anyone. Once again, I mean EA the faceless corporation, not the development team (who have historically also been mistreated by EA, like budget cuts causing developers to be fired, which has happened on more than one occasion in the past).

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good grief. Its a metaphor. The 'trainable, masochistic seals' (thats us ... the paying customer), 'eagerly queueing up for a clubbing' (from EA, by them taking our money in return for a crap service). We are the ones getting 'clubbed' by EA, and we que up for more. Thats the metaphor.

At no point was any violence inferred against anyone (the clubbing is them taking our money). How are you the only person on the entire forum who doesnt comprehend this??

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Good grief. Its a metaphor. The 'trainable, masochistic seals' (thats us ... the paying customer), 'eagerly queueing up for a clubbing' (from EA, by them taking our money in return for a crap service). We are the ones getting 'clubbed' by EA, and we que up for more. Thats the metaphor.

At no point was any violence inferred against anyone (the clubbing is them taking our money). How are you the only person on the entire forum who doesnt comprehend this??
What did you go and spell it out for? Was having fun with it...

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This is a case where they need to get over their tiff with steam and get this game on there. Create more hype, interest and new accounts for the game. It would be nice to see a growing population.

Ox_AO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
"Eagerly que up for a clubbing "
It had nothing to do with violence against anyone
W h a t ?

For those that have trouble reading:
The clubbing is against yourself pushed upon by EA games (the owners/designers.) Clearly the proper course of action against this violence is to either end the relationship with the designers, take legal action or physical action against them. There is no course of action that can be done that is good for all parties.

I have no doubt this is a metaphor. A metaphor of harming others or ending relationships in an extremely negative way does not seem appropriate.
Certainly not from the people that run ANY forum.

This shouldn't have to be debated.

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
W h a t ?

For those that have trouble reading:
The clubbing is against yourself pushed upon by EA games (the owners/designers) Clearly the proper course of action against this violence is to either end the relationship with the designers, take legal action or physical action against them. There is no course of action that can be done that is good for all parties.

I have no doubt this is a metaphor. A metaphor of harming others or ending relationships in an extremely negative way does not seems appropriate.
Certainly not from the people that run ANY forum.
:facepalm: x

It must be bigly sad in your alternative universe of strange meanings for words.

This shouldn't have to be debated.
It's being debated because you are either genuinely clueless (which I think everyone here highly doubts) or you are just a really bad :troll:.

Either way,
your-argument-is-invalid-meme-pumpkin-boat.jpg

Ox_AO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
:facepalm: x

It must be bigly sad in your alternative universe of strange meanings for words.

It's being debated because you are either genuinely clueless (which I think everyone here highly doubts) or you are just a really bad :troll:.

Either way,
View attachment 65352

Picard is a idiot.
That is all I have to say about that post. Since you had no argument