• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Trying to upgrade to SA

M

mugmug

I get to the screen that says accept the Terms and Conditions and i clk on agree and the computer just sits there till it times out. Is there any other way to register the upgrade.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Download and install firefox. It is a more secure browser, and the registration will go through the first time.

T

Tandek

First, thank you Shamus Turlough. Firefox did work.

Wow, you can purchase SA without a problem using IE, but you can't actually apply the code with IE. Good idea, there. If it isn't lawsuit worthy (they took the money and offered no service), it is at least worthy of getting a "Stupid Site of the Month" award. A site not compatable with the world's most popular browser (regardless of arguments of security) is just plain dumb. Especially when it doesn't even mention anything about needing a specific browser to complete the transaction.

Luckily I have FF installed at work, since occasionally I test our websites with it. I'll never install FF at home. I don't need it. Well, apparently with the exception of this one case.

Not to get too far off topic, but the argument for Firefox's security is like the argument for moving to Siberia to get away from New York City's crime rate. Of course it's more secure. It has no real population, it has no real enemies, and nobody really cares about it.... yet. Firefox did an impressive job of gaining popularity, so now it has the population. Population gives hackers and the such a reason to give it notice. Given a few years, a few of those people will develop a grudge for whatever reason against Mozilla/FireFox/OpenSource/WhateverPerceivedSlight and they'll start attacking FF just as they attacked IE. Only, they get the source code to work with. Oops. Ya, really secure.

So, ya, move to Siberia. It's a really safe place. For now.

Ya, I'm a bit ticked. I purchased SA a week ago and contacted EA Support 3 days ago, just to finally find out from another player that the problem was just shabby work on the part of the web programmer(s).

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Given a few years, a few of those people will develop a grudge for whatever reason against Mozilla/FireFox/OpenSource/WhateverPerceivedSlight and they'll start attacking FF just as they attacked IE. Only, they get the source code to work with. Oops. Ya, really secure.
Except FireFox is just a program, and not linked into every part of the OS.

That alone makes it more secure, ignoring any other aspects of it.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, the site is fine, dont blame it on the programming. Internet explorer hangs at that point due to an activeX issue. And I think only IE 8 has this problem.

T

Tandek

Actually, the site is fine, dont blame it on the programming. Internet explorer hangs at that point due to an activeX issue. And I think only IE 8 has this problem.
The site is useless without a browser, so it isn't "fine". It's like me designing the world's best windshield wipers, but giving them no way to attach to over 50% of the vehicles in the world. It would be my design fault and lack of testing. It would only be worse if I also didn't bother stating on the packaging that they only worked for some cars and not others.

I'm 100% certain that the issue can be fixed if they looked into it. I don't see any reason any ActiveX controls would be causing an issue there (it should just be a page submission, nothing magical), but even if so, they either need to find a different manner to handle it or put a nice big warning on the UO Codes site that any codes purchased can't be redeemed with IE 8.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For what its worth, I am a Microsoft Engineer, and have submitted this page for review via the tools I have available to me to the MS Technet community for review. I am by no means a .asp guru but there are people who are that can request updates to IE that will fix problems like this.