• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Trying a Bard/Nox Mage

N

noshroud

Hi Everyone, I just started up after a long hiatus. I've been working on a interesting character and wanted to see your thoughts. Here's what I have so far

Music
Provocation
Discordance
Magery
Poisoning
Alchemy
(Something, Meditation?)

When I get the scrolls I'd go 120 in the top 4, with 100 alchemy and 80 poisoning (80 + 120 magery is all you need for 100% deadly poison). That leaves me with 60 pts left. I was thinking mediation. My character is human.

I generally disco then provo and through down a poison field. Sometimes I hunt with summoned creatures. I use alchemy for the purple pots, it's fun and pretty effective to through them at two monsters stuck together to finish them off at the same time.

When I played in the past most heavily there were no +skill items, so maybe I'm overlooking a lot of potential there. I do, however, prefer to keep the equipment to a minimum. I like to be reckless and die a lot :)

What about using mage weapons, maybe a bow? I could take 60 tactics for the rest if that would hlp.

Let me know what you think!

I'm on Baja if anyone wants to hang out.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

You would need to use Mage Weapons.

I'd definitely do Med.

I think its a great and original idea.

If it were me I'd miss Resist.

N

noshroud

Sweet thanks!

I was considering some resist instead of some med for those last pts, but it seems that resist doesn't help me against the really damaging spells.

With 120 magery, and no tactics, a mage weapon would help me defend against physical attacks right? I just need to find something with spell channeling too?

Any advice on stats? I believe that while the bardic skills are great at raising your stats none of them really benefit or require any particular stat to be useful. Same with poisoning and alchemy. Should I just max out Int and Str?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i tryed the nox once on a bard.

i didnt like it.
love nox, love nox fields.
but where i found it was a drawback was i would lay down the nox fields and then the critters i had provoed would stop fighting and come after me cause the nox agro'd me onto them.

so i stopped with the nox bard.

but there are a few out there, and they seem to do it ok and enjoy it.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

With 120 magery, and no tactics, a mage weapon would help me defend against physical attacks right? I just need to find something with spell channeling too?
Yes & yes.

Any advice on stats? I believe that while the bardic skills are great at raising your stats none of them really benefit or require any particular stat to be useful. Same with poisoning and alchemy. Should I just max out Int and Str?
Yeah, I'd go for Str mainly (I have 150 HP on my bard), then Int (I have 120) for summons and all that good stuff, not sure how much Dex you need with no Resist but I usually do 15 to start with and 20 if theres problems (Curse/Weaken & damage putting you in walk mode etc).

N

noshroud

For what it's worth I've noticed that if I target the ground with my poison field monsters don't seem to care, while if I target them directly they do sometimes switch over to me. I haven't tested this enough to say for certain, just and observation.

Anyone use the firehorn?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
with 120 in barding skills the firehorns drop a nice amount of damage.
but the more damage they do the more ash they use.

i just stopped using them cause i allways forgot to get more ash as i was allways burning through it

N

noshroud

Nice. So far my skills are low and I don't have scrolls anyways, so the firehorn is pretty week. But I just gm'd alchemy so purple pots are doin pretty well.

Thanks