• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Try turning off V-Sync

• Thread starter Old Man of UO
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
O

Old Man of UO

Simply put, V-Sync synchronises the game frame rate to your monitor's refresh rate at 60hz. It smoothes out jaggies if the game starts putting out video information faster than your monitor can update.

However, with game patches from earlier this year, I've noticed significant video lag and frame skipping... where whole frames were just missing and my character stuttered across the screen. The longer I played, the worse it got (memory leak?). The last Valentines Day update seemed to improve this quite a bit, though.

Playing around a bit yesterday, I turned off V-Sync, and now I got rid of the rest of the video lag. I also turned up the game frame rate to twice what my monitor's refresh rate is (150 and 75 hz) - but you can only do this with a mod such as Pinco's UI. The EC client is much more playable, and coincidently I haven't crashed to desktop. Coincidence? It's quite possible.

Try un-checking the V-Sync option to see if that helps the EC game performance; I'm curious if this helps other people. The graphics aren't buttery smooth, but performance doesn't seem to get worse the longer I play.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I have been running for a while with mine off for that very reason

O

Old Man of UO

I have been running for a while with mine off for that very reason
So... WHY WERE YOU KEEPING IT A SECRET?

LOL

Heh... I didn't know.

If you remember waaay back to the introduction of KR, there was a discussion about using V-Synch to smooth out the jaggies. So everyone turned it on for the improvements. Now it seems better to turn it off.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm... I didn't notice any differences. Still lags a bit if zoomed out and a castle comes into view.

I didn't crash tonite, but that could be coincidence.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I've never run with it on and I still CTD occasionally, especially around houses. But yes, I'd suggest vsync off, run full screen, and use a UI that lets you increase the FPS. It will run much more smoothly and will crash less often.