• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Trouble Training Parrying

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I finally decided to take a break on my mage, and started working on my Samurai. My training is going well, but I seem to have hit a wall on my parrying and I am seeking some help.

I currently am at 103.0 real parry skill. I am scrolled to 110. I have been using the sheep pen method with 8x sheep attacking me while I have been tabbed out of war mode. I am not holding a weapon. All I am holding is a bucker shield. As the sheep destroy the bucklers, I am switching them out with another one. All of the bucklers are normal (purchased from a game NPC). It takes a while each training session to get the sheep trained up, but it has been going well... until I hit 103.

Here's why I think I might be my own worst enemy. As I have been training parrying, I have been also training Bushido. I am at 84.0 Bushido real skill. Using the stratics calculator, I see this means I only parry 10% of the time with a shield. I didn't realize this when I started training. Now I'm in a conundrum. I don't want to loose the bushido, but the best thing may be for me to get rid of it temporarily (in other words, soulstone it).

So here are my questions:

1) Is there a problem with my training technique (i.e. using sheep and bucklers while tabbed out with no weapon)? Is a buckler the wrong shield ot use?

2) I'm gaining good doing Bushido at the same time... however, is this actually hurting me? Should I soulstone bushido temporarily?

3) Is there another way to do this where I don't have to spend a solid hour training sheep before I can gain?

Thanks all for your help! I do appreciate it.

-OBSIDIAN-

D

Desolation87

Simple - Buy a soul stone frag. Take bushido off. You'll 110 in say an hour then put bushido back on.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Ok, so it really is my Bushido that is making this process go so slow? I heard stories of people being able to go to 110 in a day. I was wondering how they were doing it.

I will transfer my Bushido off tonight. I have a soulstone on this shard from Vet rewards. I'll just have to put the stuff currently on it on a new character.

-OBSIDIAN-

H

HeathBar

I got to 115 in about 1 hour 30 minutes yesterday on my swords char. All you need is a few bucklers (shadow if you can make them for the duribility), a friend who can spare 5 minutes, and a weapon that you arn't trained in.

Get your friend to gather all the lady fighters, disarm and then bring them to you. Repeat until you have at least 10 on you. Then watch the parry skill go up, up and away. The more fighters you have the faster it goes.

G

GFY

I've tried a lot of different methods over the years. The one that currently works fastest (IMHO) is polar bears. They strike faster then sheep so you get more hits per minute. The only down side is they do damage you. If you have a couple of friends that wont to work on healing bring them along and have them heal you while you attack 8 polar bears on Ice Isle. You will need armor with 70 physical (bronze works very well) because of the damage the bears do. I usually go with 2 healers and a mage, for a quick heal just in case. You can use bucklers or possibably torches. The torches don't lose durability but still give you a parry gain. I've seen players go from 90 to 120 in about an hour or so.

Lastly if you don't want to stone bushido, just lock it down. With the skill locked you won't get the bushido checks for gains, just parry gains.

Good luck & good hunting

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I got to 115 in about 1 hour 30 minutes yesterday on my swords char. All you need is a few bucklers (shadow if you can make them for the duribility), a friend who can spare 5 minutes, and a weapon that you arn't trained in.

Get your friend to gather all the lady fighters, disarm and then bring them to you. Repeat until you have at least 10 on you. Then watch the parry skill go up, up and away. The more fighters you have the faster it goes.
Are you talking about doing this in the Jhelom pits? I don't understand how your friend brings them to you. Can you explain a bit more. I'm interested to understand your technique.

-OBSIDIAN-

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Lastly if you don't want to stone bushido, just lock it down. With the skill locked you won't get the bushido checks for gains, just parry gains.
What do you mean by this? If I have it locked it won't check bushido? That seems odd. Do you mean I have to set it downward and then it won't check? Even then, I guess I am surprised by this. How do you know it works this way.

Thanks for your insight!

-OBSIDIAN-

G

gmcbroom

Maybe I'm a little out of date but when I trained up parry I used the sheep pen but didnt have ANY shield equiped and rose to GM incredibly fast on Lake Austin. Now did you always use a shield? Try bare handed ie no weapon or shield equiped and see what happens. Plus what's your skill cap at? Maybe you've hit it if that's the case you may have to soul stone a skill.Just a thought...

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I had to move a skill off my soul stone and didn't know there is a 24hr delay. Oh well. I will move Bushido off tomorrow and see what happens in the sheep pen.

-OBSIDIAN-

Desperado_SE

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try holding a two handed weapon in a skill that is different from the one you currently have on that character instead of the buckler, i.e. if your have swords, use a two handed fencing weapon. This is the way I did it just a few weeks ago, and hit 110 from around 30-35 in a few hours.

G

GFY

What do you mean by this? If I have it locked it won't check bushido? That seems odd. Do you mean I have to set it downward and then it won't check? Even then, I guess I am surprised by this. How do you know it works this way.

Thanks for your insight!

-OBSIDIAN-
There are a quite a few skills that work in pairs. Bushido/Parry and Magery/Eval is another pair. If both are set to gain the game checks both randomly to see if a gain can be made. If you lock one skill (each skill has 3 settings, gain, lose, and lock for no gain or loss) all the checks go to the skill that is set to gain. Which means you'll gain one skill faster then both.

Samaira

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My hubby's done it a few times in the sheep pens... no shield, holding a skinning knife... use confidence to heal yourself as you go, two birds, one stone and all that.

H

HeathBar

Are you talking about doing this in the Jhelom pits? I don't understand how your friend brings them to you. Can you explain a bit more. I'm interested to understand your technique.

-OBSIDIAN-
Yes, in the Jhelom pits. Go attack and disarm all the female fighters that are not in guards zone. Then you'll need a friend to hire the ones in guard zone then dismiss them near you so you can attack them.

I have high swords so I had to equip a mace so they could hit me easier.

Once you get around 10+ female fighters punching you, the gains should come very fast.

N

Nenime

How do you disarm the fighters?
It is a special move. As a primary (at 70 weapon skill), only applicable when you have the wrestling skill. As a secondary (I think you mentioned fencing), you can use it from 90 weapon skill upwards (no matter if real skill or while using bonus items). War fork is the weapon for you or any of the following with Use Best Weapon property: Butcher Knife, Hatchet, Mace, Wand, Paladin Sword, Pickaxe, Shepherd's Crook, Skinning Knife.

*edit: I gm'ed parry (and some other fighting skills) in Covetous Level 1 fighting Harpies. Try to get a shield with self repair. Good income on top of that, especially when you collect the feathers too.

*edit: and about "Dumb question": I know someone who would say:" There is no such thing as dumb questions!" Right, Frarc ;)

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why stop at 10 females? I get everyone in the whole city. If you have bushido just use a 2 handed weapon in your least proficient weapon skill. If just parry use a sheild and a 1 handed weapon that you are not proficient with.

I got up to 43 females once and I went from 40 (bought it up in new haven) to 120 in about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Then I soulstoned it off and did it again since i had all the fighters lured and I was going to make another parry char anyways.

G

GFY

Why stop at 10 females? I get everyone in the whole city. If you have bushido just use a 2 handed weapon in your least proficient weapon skill. If just parry use a sheild and a 1 handed weapon that you are not proficient with.

I got up to 43 females once and I went from 40 (bought it up in new haven) to 120 in about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Then I soulstoned it off and did it again since i had all the fighters lured and I was going to make another parry char anyways.
You get 8 because there are only 8 tiles around the tile you stand on that are able to hit you for physical damage. Any more then 8 and they just stand around waiting for you to kill one of the 8 fighters able to damage you.

:thumbsup:

W

wee papa smurf

Ok, i got from 26.7 to 120 in 6 hours with this method,

get a lot of battle axes and go to yew farms or any other farms, get as many sheep as you can to attack you and tab out, im telling you this works fastest. If you dont gain a single point go and die then come back again and i GUARANTEE you it will work! Youl need to keep the heals up but thats no probs, and the battle axes go fast so better havin as many as u can carry,

Obviously u need to be holdin the axe's, they work 10x better than bucklers, and u dont even need to have the weapon skill.

Try it and tell im wrong :thumbsup:

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You get 8 because there are only 8 tiles around the tile you stand on that are able to hit you for physical damage. Any more then 8 and they just stand around waiting for you to kill one of the 8 fighters able to damage you.

:thumbsup:
Incorrect. You can have as many as you want, because in trammel the npcs can stack on each other. I had 43 on one tile... You shouldn't give players advice if you need the same advice.

O

OneLastBreath

Okay...I'm a fencer.

So if I arm a club, go to the yew corral and target all the sheep, get them to attack me and then go to peace mode I'll gain in parry?

W

wee papa smurf

Okay...I'm a fencer.

So if I arm a club, go to the yew corral and target all the sheep, get them to attack me and then go to peace mode I'll gain in parry?
a club is a one handed weapon so it prolly wont work, but it will work if u arm a two handed weapon

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Ok, i got from 26.7 to 120 in 6 hours with this method,

get a lot of battle axes and go to yew farms or any other farms, get as many sheep as you can to attack you and tab out, im telling you this works fastest. If you dont gain a single point go and die then come back again and i GUARANTEE you it will work! Youl need to keep the heals up but thats no probs, and the battle axes go fast so better havin as many as u can carry,

Obviously u need to be holdin the axe's, they work 10x better than bucklers, and u dont even need to have the weapon skill.

Try it and tell im wrong :thumbsup:
To use this method, do I need bushido? Or am I ok to hold the battle axes while tabbed out with only parry? I didn't think you could gain parry without a shield equipped.

-OBSIDIAN-

W

wee papa smurf

To use this method, do I need bushido? Or am I ok to hold the battle axes while tabbed out with only parry? I didn't think you could gain parry without a shield equipped.

-OBSIDIAN-
nah u dont need bushido, the 1st time i done this was on my mage with no weapon skill at all just holdin an axe, the 2nd time was on my dexxer with no bushido and he was a fencer just holding an axe, and actually u gain better parry with an axe rather than a sheild, and thats from experience hehe.
Jhelom pits are useless for parry iv wasted many hours on using a sheild till i learned bout the axe thingy :thumbsup:

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Ok, I finally figured this out. I was not holding a weapon. Even without Bushido, I wasn't gaining after 90 minutes on the sheep. Not even my GGS gain. I was starting to think there was a bug. All I was carrying was a buckler.

Then I threw a dagger in my hands. Immediately I started gaining like mad. My character has 0 fencing. That seemed to make all the difference in the world. I had to stop at 104.8 for my session, but that was after I wasted so much time. So I guess wrestling doesn't have the same effect for parry gains. I plan to finish my parry to 110 (until I get a better scroll) tomorrow. Thanks all for your help!

-OBSIDIAN-

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't read the entire thread, just the first few posts, but here's my 2 cents worth.

I am 115 in parry on my warrior, I did this by buying a bunch of bucklers, taking a ton of bandages, and an all 70's suit into covetous. I then proceded to attack every harpy I could possibly get (without them killing me too quickly), and I let them peck away until my shield was destroyed, then I'd switch out to a fresh one. I don't know how long in hours this took, because I didn't powergame it. I just would do an hour here, half an hour there. Basically I'd work at it until I got bored, then I'd move on to something else. I think in total, training like this, it took me maybe a week at most. Hope this helps.

W

wee papa smurf

Sorry for the delay in responding, just saw one of your posts on UHall and remembered my earlier question. You weren't by any chance in a guild called Paladins of Darkness, were you?
naw, i hung around with a girl called "Dream Girl" i forget the name of the guild though :bored: